[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best versions of the retro final fantasy games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg (34 KB, 478x264) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg
34 KB, 478x264
What are the best versions of the retro final fantasy games?

I bought a psp and I'm thinking of playing them like
1:psp
2:psp
3:psp
4:psp
5:gba emulated
I've already played 6 and 7
8:torn between pc or Playstation
9:torn between pc or playstation
>>
Go full psp.
>>
>>3295669
Pretty much this. Stay away from the Playstation versions of the older titles since there's a ton of loading and it's annoying.
>>
>>3295656

A lot of the later ports are really watered down or are of questionable quality control by comparison. If they didn't drop the difficulty level, then they shoehorned in a bunch of unwanted content, or mucked up the translation. Personally, I'd go this route:

>FF1 and 2 - PS1 (Origins)
I can't necessarily recommend the original NES / Famicom versions due to the extensive number of bugs and unimplemented features. While those versions are playable, you're kind of missing out on a full experience. There are bugfix patches for FF1 though.

The GBA and PSP (and some mobile) releases of FF1 nuke the D&D-esque spell system and give your characters conventional MP pools. Additionally, the difficulty level is decreased between both FF1 and FF2. The GBA ports create further frustration with bright palettes and cramped backgrounds. The PSP versions have some poorly upscaled graphics, especially enemy bitmaps. It's like some of the assets were handled by entirely different teams.

>FF3 - Famicom (and there are a couple of complete translation patches, if you can't read Japanese)
The DS version was an interesting concept, but too many sacrifices had to be made due to hardware limitations. For instance, enemy formations have been reduced to a maximum of three enemies. (Although enemy stats were consequently beefed up as a result)

>FF4 - PS1 (Chronicles) or the original Super Famicom "Hard Type"
There never was a release referred to as "Hard Type" - this is just a codename for the original version of FF4, as Square later released a couple of diluted interpretations of the game. The PS1 Chronicles port is based on the original game, so there's something to consider if you can't read Japanese. The only complete translation patches I've seen for FF4 Japan take a ton of liberties, so I'm not sure if that's something that would bother you.

(continued)
>>
>>3295804
The GBA version of FF4 was a bugged-out mess with a horrible translation. The European (and Japanese revision) version lessens the occurrence of some bugs, but doesn't remove them outright.

>FF5 - PS1 (Anthology) or the Super Famicom translation
The PS1 version has a pretty questionable in-house translation, but it's not so much inaccurate as it is awkward. Expect to see plenty of Engrish interspersed throughout the game. I do think this or the original Super Famicom version are the way to go though. Once again, the GBA version takes too many liberties, both in terms of translation and content.

>FF6 - PS1 (Anthology) or the Super Famicom version with a translation patch + bugfix patch
I can't comment on the latter, as I'm not sure how decent any fan translations of this game are. I'm also unsure of which - if any - bugs have been patched out, and FF6 has a ton of game-breaking bugs.

I'm actually not even sure which bugs were fixed in the PS1 port. It seems to be mostly identical to the U.S. SNES version, but with some decensorship and script edits for better accuracy.

>FF7 and 8
Doesn't really matter, as the ports are virtually identical. I think the PC versions might have slightly diverged from the originals, and they most certainly had their own bugs. The recent re-releases are just compatibility fixes to make these games run on modern systems, but I believe they also threw in pay-to-win options like character boosters.

>FF9
May as well stick with the PS1 version as the recent re-release is just a poor upscale of it. Bear in mind that FF9 uses prerendered backgrounds as opposed to 3D environments. The developers took those assets and scaled them up instead of redrawing them by hand, so the game frankly looks like shit now.
>>
>>3295804

You can choose which version of FF1 and 2 to play in the PSP versions dumbasss. If you want MP points or the classic system. So it is the best version.
>>
>>3295832
>You can choose which version of FF1 and 2 to play in the PSP versions

No you can't. You're forced to play on the reduced difficulty modes. Difficulty selection was completely dropped after Origins.

Try being more informed before you call out other posters.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy/Version_differences
http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/522595-final-fantasy/faqs/37387
>>
>>3295832
No, the Origins version of Final Fantasy II was the last one with stat degradation. That mechanic is there for a reason, to make the player specialize in a path of skills rather than have everyone being capable of doing everything.
>>
>>3295973
The strat for FF2 was "equip blood sword and learn teleport" and you know it.
>>
>>3295810
>recommending the PS1 version of FFV
>EVER
I don't give a shit how butthurt the GBA translation makes you, you never ever recommend that garbage. Fuck off.
>>
Excuse me OP but can anyone tell me how to use Gao? I felt like a dumbass after his tutorial
>>
>>3295810
Yeah, shit like Y-Burn is totally better than some pop culture references here and there. The GBA translation takes some liberties, the earlier translations are borderline illegible and bland as fuck. It's not like FFV has a deep story to ruin in the first place.

OP, play the GBA version of FFV. Preferably with brightness and sound fix hacks.
>>
>>3298174
>go to the Veldt
>leap
>fight some battles until Gau comes back
>Gau now has new rages
>>
>>3298180
His best ablilities?, he's like a blue mage right?
>>
>>3298185
>best abilities
Cat Scratch

Don't worry about anything else

>Blue Mage
Strago is the designated blue mage, but Gau functions kind of similarly, yes. Strago learns by getting hit by enemy abilities, Gau learns from enemies being fought in the Veldt.
>>
>>3298185
No, Strago is the blue mage. Gau is a fairly unique class of his own, a berserker/beast master hybrid.
>>
>>3298191
So do I need to waste enemies that teach Gau Cat Scratch to bump it up? while I send him out
>>
>>3298198
You need to kill a Stray Cat, then come to the Veldt, encounter a Stray Cat and have Gau Leap, then you will learn Cat Scratch, unless I totally forgot how this works
>>
>>3298207
Alright I get it, so that's his OP move?

any other moves or was that it? thanks for the reply anon
>>
>>3295804
>The PSP versions have some poorly upscaled graphics
You're a fucking moron. The PSP versions use entirely new spite art and backgrounds.
>>
>>3298213
Pick up Templar and Marshal while you're still there, they'll carry you for most of the WoB. If you feel like making a return trip at some point, keep an eye out for Aspik.
>>
File: fight.png (175 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
fight.png
175 KB, 480x272
>>3295804
>p-poorly upscaled ;_;
>>
>>3298213
Just look them up online. "gau rage guide". Cat Scratch (Stray Cat) and Gigavolt (Aspik/Aspiran) are generally considered the best ones for how early you can get them. Been a while since I played and actually used Gau
>>
>not playing the original releases

SCHIGGITY
SCHIGGITY
SCHWA
>>
>>3298231
thanks anon, appreciated
>>
>>3298175
>>3298160

You're blowing it out of proportion. Some enemy strings are Engrish to the max, but the overall character dialogs are (mostly) fine. The playable character name changes were probably arbitrary rather than mistransliterations. FF2 Origins had Gus for Guy, so there's that.

If OP is that concerned about it, he could alternatively play the Super Famicom translation patch, which is sadly still leagues ahead of the GBA version.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.