[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which cross-platform games were better on the Genesis?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 23
File: Gen..jpg (29 KB, 499x333) Image search: [Google]
Gen..jpg
29 KB, 499x333
Which cross-platform games were better on the Genesis?
>>
>>3295208
I unironically believe The Lost Vikings was better on genesis.
>>
>>3295208
almost all the disney stuff, what you listed, and street fighter II champion edition (retained cps1 strings)
>>
File: robocop versus terminator.jpg (412 KB, 1584x1009) Image search: [Google]
robocop versus terminator.jpg
412 KB, 1584x1009
Much better than its SNES counterpart.
>>
Everything
>>
>>3295235

it is. but ONLY if you use a 6 button controller.

>>3295237
Turbo on SNES is better than CE and its not even close.
>>
File: mickeymania-genUS.jpg (145 KB, 640x891) Image search: [Google]
mickeymania-genUS.jpg
145 KB, 640x891
More stages, faster load times (lol, load times on a cartridge based system) and graphical wizardry. Snes version is still a decent game, it was just a lousy port.
>>
>>3295208
>MK1
I like the soundtrack better on the Genesis but if you can handle playing without blood and with watered down fatalities then the SNES version is superior. Then again, if your playing mk without gore and the ability to pull your friends head off with spine then you might as well just play Street Fighter.
>>
File: terminator-the-usa.png (298 KB, 342x500) Image search: [Google]
terminator-the-usa.png
298 KB, 342x500
>>
>>3295268
No
>>
>>3295262
You don't know how to play street fighter, otherwise you would understand the significance of retaining cps1 chains.

All Turbo on snes has is better sound, even the backgrounds are missing.
>>
>>3295340
>the significance of retaining cps1 chains.

You mean the significance of pulling off a glitch combo when you shouldn't be able to? Removing this is a GOOD thing, numbnut.
>>
>>3295359
You really don't know how to play at all. Combos themselves are a "glitch" as are all option selects. (really it's just how the games handle multiple inputs naturally)

cps1 chains are very important for competent play and a proper emulation of the arcade.
>>
>>3295280
>No
i'd like to think you're capable of explaining yourself a little more
>>
SFII.

Okay, colors and sound aren't as good, but everywhere else it's superior.
>>
>>3296909
Negro you can fix those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iE5GJNkOqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZOrpJP7DUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZOrpJP7DUw

There's a sound patch for SSFII too.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68RcXjiFNI
>>
>>3296929
A perfectly good arcade version already exists
>>
>>3296943

Nobody cares, it's just dick measurement for console warriors.
>>
>>3296947
that's what I just said but without the snark, the pages of history have already been written on this

The genesis was obviously an afterthought for Capcom and people who are extremely devoted to their Megadrives still feel entitled to better samples and color. I imagine the person who did the hack did this for leisure and just wanted to see how close he could get it to the arcade. From that aspect it's all in good fun
>>
File: 1355593920489.gif (1 MB, 592x448) Image search: [Google]
1355593920489.gif
1 MB, 592x448
>>3295279
>not the the Sega CD version
>>
File: Thunderforce4.jpg (636 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
Thunderforce4.jpg
636 KB, 2592x1944
I've been playing Thunderforce 4. Primarily because I loved 5 back in the day. There was a boss theme so awesomely rocking, of which I later learned was the main theme of Thunderforce 4. I had the Gold Packs but still haven't really played them, but I relatively recently got the original cartridge instead to play.

That stage in Thunderforce 5 is pretty epic for a shooting game, in my opinion. after the initial set of stages which you can select, it was time for your ship to leave the planet. So your ship docks into a large booster pack of rockets to escape the planet's gravity. You launch into space jettisoning the rockets as they become deadweight leaving orbit. Your ship is still equipped with an attachment which gave you unlimited power. Basically like your special overdriven weapons which used to deplete your craw satellites, but now you can use them to your heart's content. You punch through all the popcorn enemies and even slightly tougher ones with little effort with your almost limitless power. Only to meet the boss of the stage which apparently is the previous version of the Vasteel to your new Vasteel. It is an epic duel where the enemy also has its own booster packs it attaches to, in a match of old vs. new, all to an amazing remix to the title theme of 4 (where the old Vasteel came from).

That stage sets up the remaining stages of 5, and it is really good in my opinion. The feel is similar to Gradius 5 where you realize the assist Vic Viper is you through a time warp, just amazing.

The song I refer to:
https://youtu.be/2qIAkbHCXOQ

I've had the Gold Packs for a while since playing/loving 5 in its day, but could never bring myself to play them, but playing 4 on the Mega Drive does feel great, so I guess it is better to me on the Genesis ...
>>
>>3295243
I just tried this now. This game is fuckin awesome. Much more arcade style than the SNES version

It even has a spread gun which makes it even more like Contra
>>
Lion King is far more playable on Sega. SNES has a much smaller visible screen and botched some of the collision detection.
>>
Toy Story
>>
>>3296987
Dude I'm in exactly the same boat. TFV is probably my favourite Saturn shmup, the music is so damn metal; and that space level is always where I turn the volume the fuck up. The Guardian's Knight fight just before is crazy difficult though, took me months to figure out the safe positions, and even then I can only beat him without getting hit if I have the Free Range weapon.

You forgot the most amazing part in the space level, where you start shooting down the Star Destroyers. You shoot down like 3 of them, and then this gigantic warship crashes into the screen destroying the entire damn space fleet you fought so far in outer space.
There's also the entire mindfuck of an ending.

I've also got Gold Pack 2 and tried playing TF4 but it just doesn't feel as much fun as TFV. Significantly more difficult, and you always need to know the exact patterns of each level to win. But I'll conquer it one day...

Also, apparently the Gold Packs are perfect ports except for one thing: they don't slow down like the Megadrive originals, which makes them even harder.
>>
>>3296968
Well, of course, but this is a cross platform Genesis thread.
>>
>>3295208
I prefer the sega genesis version of flashback over the SNES version. not sure why it just feels better and the music is better
>>
File: Intestinaldistress.png (19 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
Intestinaldistress.png
19 KB, 320x224
>>3295208 >>3295235 >>3295264

What's the deal with all those Genesis ports (EWJ, Lost Vikings, Mickey Mania among them) having extra levels?

Was it about the graphic assets requiring more relative space in the SNES carts because of the bigger palettes or something?
>>
>>3296895
All the gameplay physics are totally borked and there's noticeable input delay, and the speed of the game is all over the place depending on what's happening onscreen.

All the SNES version has is the cool character select music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd3wfQ34_YE&list=PLB0xooEkKbSY3SJHr26sgpEHrRpDL1QGy
>>
>>3295208
The Micro Machines games are infinitely better on MD/Genesis than on SNES. They run far better and you don't need a multitap for 4-player mode.
>>
Aero the Acrobat?
>>
File: Aladdingenesis.jpg (37 KB, 250x347) Image search: [Google]
Aladdingenesis.jpg
37 KB, 250x347
Hands down, Aladdin was one of the best ports.

It was the 3rd best selling game on the Genesis and had help from Disney's artists. The difference between the Gen and SNES version is night and day.
>>
>>3297441
> Port
Different games handled by different studios

It's cool, we have a thread either about or eventually about Aladdin every week. If you want to discuss it just wait for a bit and one will come along
>>
>>3295208
There were plenty such as...

>Robocop Vs Terminator
>Wolverine Adamantium Rage
>Mortal Kombat
>Batman The Return Of The Joker
>Batman
>Aladdin
>The Lion King
>Gargoyles
>>
>>3297391
Assets actually took less space on the SNES since it did ADPCM encoded samples, and used lower resolution graphics.

I imagine the MD was just easier to develop for (68k, same as the Amiga and Macs of the time), so they could pull some extra effects on the levels not possible on the SNES. Or, where the MD version came later, they added it as a bonus level over the SNES original.
>>
Beavis & Butthead was infinitely better on the Genesis.
>>
>>3297386
Wasn't the Genesis version the original?
>>
>>3297391
>>3297620
Sega was a lot less greedy than Nintendo when it came to giving developers bigger ROM sizes. Hence why Super Street Fighter II on the Super NES was 32 Megabits, while the Genesis version is whooping 40 Megabits.
>>
File: aladdinPlatformers_04.png (162 KB, 800x280) Image search: [Google]
aladdinPlatformers_04.png
162 KB, 800x280
>>3297441
>>3297556

Aladdin wasn't a multiplat, Sega/PC game was done by Virgin and SNES by Capcom.
I consider the Capcom game to be better, but that's not to say the Virgin game is bad though.
>>
>>3295208
any sports game
>>
>>3297648
>muh evil nintendo bait
>>
>>3297702
did you know Hiroshi Yamauchi wasn't actually a human being? He was a vessel that enclosed 7 yakuza oni spirits from 7 different regions in Japan. These oni monopolized the gambling in Japan with the hanafuda Nintendo cards and put a spell so that no other company could produce cards, truly evil.

Yamauchi, often referred to as "大魔王 ティラノ天堂" (Great Evil King Tyranotendo), tyranized the video games market with his monopolic practises, it is said that the Master System or the PC Engine didn't actually ever exist, and that they were invented time after so hide the fact that the Famicom was actually the one and only console existing in Japan.
>>
>>3297391
most tilemap hardware from the master system onward use 4bit per pixel tiles, the snes and genesis were no exception.

however the genesis, much like sms before it (but arguably more pronounced), has a chronic issue of too few color pallets (4) in a world where 16 is the defacto standard. sometimes to get around this genesis tiles try to be conservative with how they allocate color usage so if you do a lot of side-by-side comparisons you might notice some objects are deliberately under detailed. its possible that lower detail tiles might make for better data compression as a side effect, but thats just speculation on my part.
>>
>>3297658
>genesis version cropped to look same resolution as SNES version

every goddamn time
>>
>>3297741

I didn't make that pic, but resolution isn't the main focus of that pic, it's the background detail.
>>
File: aladdin has shitty backgrounds.jpg (136 KB, 952x333) Image search: [Google]
aladdin has shitty backgrounds.jpg
136 KB, 952x333
>>3297749
It's still a cherry picked piece of shit image.
>>
File: Aladdin_(USA)-18.jpg (121 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Aladdin_(USA)-18.jpg
121 KB, 640x480
>>3297764

Haha, hey again bro.

It's not cherry picked and I still think the backgrounds on the Capcom game are much more detailed and better crafted than the bgs on the Virgin game.
But I don't hate the Virgin game, as I said many times, I had both as a kid and enjoyed both, I just think the Capcom game is better due to better controls, but we know we'll never agree with each other.

At the end of the day, they're both different games though, not a multiplat title like what OP intended to discuss.

For the Virgin game, the Genesis version is better than the PC version though.
>>
>>3295208
All of them.
>>
>>3297710
>however the genesis, much like sms before it (but arguably more pronounced), has a chronic issue of too few color pallets (4) in a world where 16 is the defacto standard.

Well, it was made in 1988 so what did you expect. It was extremely outdated by the time the SNES came out, and on top of that they did not implement a few things the hardware was capable of.

They should've given the MD2 an extended cart port that was mapped down to some of the unused pins. They could've doubled video ram and doubled palette ram that way, and retain backwards compatibility.
>>
>>3297797
>It was extremely outdated by the time the SNES came out

Not as outdated as Nintendo actually releasing a console in the 1990s with a CPU clockspeed under 5 megahertz

>They should've given the MD2 an extended cart port that was mapped down to some of the unused pins

That would have segmented the market between MD1 and MD2 which is stupid and would have killed off good will. Sega trying to do expansions in general was silly.

They should have just tried to maximize performance with existing hardware (Motorola 68000 can do basic 3D on its own) and undercut Nintendo on cartridge prices.
>>
>>3297834
Nintendo has a long tail with using shitty processors, even the Wii U processor was garbage, they just don't seem to give a shit about clock speed.
>>
>>3297834
>Not as outdated as Nintendo actually releasing a console in the 1990s with a CPU clockspeed under 5 megahertz

MHz does not matter, IPC does. The 65c186 was on par with the 68k in that regard, as I recall, or very close, mainly due to being able to access memory faster. What gave the 68k a critical edge was the gigantic amount of general purpose registers to use - so it didn't NEED to access memory too often.

And the meat of the machine was the video hardware, anyway.

Plus it was designed to be able to use on-cart CPUs from the beginning, which was a very smart move for saving costs. Sega was losing money on hardware sales even in 1991, Nintendo was making money on it from day 1.

Using a 68k on the SNES would've been great, but I don't know how much each cpu cost at the time. The 68k was a pretty big chip, probably was too expensive.
>>
>>3297843
>Nintendo has a long tail with using shitty processors

I think that's overstating it a bit - it's really just the SNES that was bad.

N64's MIPS R4300i was definitely a great value RISC CPU - 64 bit and floating point support along with good IPC. The lack of CPU DMA on N64 is not a problem with the processor but the motherboard.

Gamecube's PowerPC Gecko had basically the best integer IPC you could get at the time. Shitty SIMD though, but I guess it didn't matter TOO much since Gamecube supported hardware T&L.

The Wii's version of it bumped up the clock speed (to 729 mhz or something), and while it stlll seems low it's got really good integer performance for a tiny low power piece of shit. We're talk 80% of the integer performance of Cell's general purpose PPE core at 3.2 ghz.

And Wii U's CPU still has good integer performance, it definitely beats the shit out of 360 and PS3's CPU as that. SIMD performance is still shit, but that's even more irrelevant now. Integer performance per watt it was actually doing amazing for a 2012 part, especially as it was still at 45nm.
>>
>>3297843
>Not knowing anything about PPC architecture.
>>3297857
This guy gets it.
>>
>>3297854
>mainly due to being able to access memory faster

I'm not so sure about this. Fairly sure somebody analyzed SNES memory bandwidth and concluded it was a fuckton slower than the memory bandwidth in Genesis.
>>
>>3297834
>That would have segmented the market between MD1 and MD2 which is stupid and would have killed off good will. Sega trying to do expansions in general was silly.

Nah, it would've been 100% backwards compatible, and depending on the way they create the cart expansion, it could have been forward compatible as well (depending on software). Games could've just set to use the extra palette bits if it was present, or use the normal ones if not - meaning that for the end user, the same cart is twice as colourful on the later system.

It would have been an interim upgrade, that could've given the machine twice the memory, twice the palette, more cart I/O for possible on-cart expansions (like a better sound chip). Most importantly double the VRAM would've greatly increased the memory transfer speeds too. So things like sprite scaling from the Mega CD, or games running in software code, all could've been running at twice the frame rate. Or at the same frame rate and double the screen size.

That would've also made it easier to use on-cart chips too. Imagine Virtua Racing running at a solid 60fps.
>>
>>3297862
I recall that the 65c186 could access the memory in less cycles (but had slower memory), while the 68k was required more cycles (but had faster memory). So the two were equal, in that regard... except that the 65c186 needed to access memory up to something like 5 times as often since it didn't have enough CPU registers to use for math.
>>
>>3297871
That would have been adding expense into the cartridge where half the user base couldn't even experience it.

>Imagine Virtua Racing running at a solid 60fps.

I think that's very optimistic.
>>
>>3297843
Nintendo was always creating low cost shit hardware. Always. The upside is that they are making money on their consoles sales too, while everyone else uses the hottest fattest most spicy hardware, sell the console for a huge loss, and try making up for it in licensing money and by selling their own games.

Nintendo makes money on selling the console hardware, selling their own games, AND the licensing costs.
>>
>>3297882
>Nintendo was always creating low cost shit hardware. Always. The upside is that they are making money on their consoles sales too, while everyone else uses the hottest fattest most spicy hardware,

I can tell you that the sound chip in the SNES and the GPU in the N64 would not have been cheap parts. They were cutting edge consumer tech at the time.
>>
>>3297880
>That would have been adding expense into the cartridge where half the user base couldn't even experience it.

The user base would have grown over time a lot, they could have done console exchange deals, and in the long run it would have made the machine much more competitive against the SNES. Especially if they include extra sound hardware (even on the cart).

I think it would've been a great step - and it would've been 100% base hardware, just with an extra I/O slot. If they make that step early enough (92 or even in 91), it could've taken on.

>>3297889
They were both cut-down versions of otherwise cutting-edge consumer tech.
>>
>>3297797
>Well, it was made in 1988 so what did you expect
to be as good as the pc engine at least

i seem to recall vague stories about internal issues between the arcade and console departments resulting in a deliberate downgrade; imagine if they had shipped a consolized system 16 instead
>>
>>3297871
you basically described the sg1000->mark3 upgrade, except they never tried to make new games run on the old system
>>
>>3297896
>They were both cut-down versions of otherwise cutting-edge consumer tech.

No they fucking weren't. Please try to find a consumer grade sound card with 8 ADPCM channels that supports reverb on each channel from before the Super Famicom's release date in Japan.

And try to find a consumer-grade 3D accelerator more powerful than the N64's GPU released before the console's release in Japan.

You won't be able to, because it's impossible. They were literally the cutting-edge consumer tech, nothing cut-down.
>>
>>3297990
>Please try to find a consumer grade sound card with 8 ADPCM channels that supports reverb on each channel from before the Super Famicom's release date in Japan.

>sound card

You won't find one because soundcards weren't even a real market at the time, beyond having 1 channel pcm for recording/playback and maybe an OPL2 so games could do bleeps and boops.

Consumer grade sound chips at the time were in pcm/wavetable synths, and among those the SNES APU is a toy. The only thing it does good is cost, and maybe the ADPCM encoding (which other synths may have had too, I'm not that familiar with them).
And that's not even mentioning the Amiga which did 8-bit 4-channel sound six years before the SNES.

Likewise, you won't find consumer grade 3d accelerators because that market did not exist for PCs at the time, since they did not need them. High-end workstations did, and again the N64 chip was a cut-down version of those.
>>
>>3297990
>I don't know something exists, therefore it must not exist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_DX7
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlight_CMI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synclavier
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korg_M1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_D-50
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_SC-55
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_MT-32
>>
File: Thunder_Force_III_cover.jpg (28 KB, 250x351) Image search: [Google]
Thunder_Force_III_cover.jpg
28 KB, 250x351
Thunder Spirits was a decent port, but committed the crime of being released on a system where the CPU was so shitty that literally firing your gun slowed the game down.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 250x355) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 250x355
Greatly prefered Kekcroc on the genesis than the DOS version. Good times.
>>
>>3298159
Why have you linked a bunch of pianos and workstations and a couple of sound cards that don't meet the criteria?
>>
>>3299036
still trying to force your meme, i see?

>>3299054
Not the same guy, but he was implying that the FM chips in game consoles are scaled down versions of more expensive components
>>
File: 1459321940592s.jpg (7 KB, 171x221) Image search: [Google]
1459321940592s.jpg
7 KB, 171x221
>>3298159
>Synclavier, Fairlight_CMI
>consumer tech
>>
>>3297764
>low amount of colors
>flat design
>left bg has barely any details
>right bg is bland and filled with the same boring violet color

Are those half-assed backgrounds really all the Genesis version can offer?
>>
>>3299091
>but he was implying that the FM chips in game consoles are scaled down versions of more expensive components

While that's true most of the time, it wasn't true for the SNES. The only thing you could say was truly scaled down was the amount of sound RAM, but the actual sound core was top-grade consumer tech.
>>
Mega Turrican
(Probably doesn't count) Adventures of Batman and Robin
>>
All
>>
>>3299054
because the snes sound chip is a toy version of those.
>>
aero the acrobat plays better on sega
>>3299194
>Adventures of Batman and Robin

that game is unbeatable
>>
>>3296987
4 is amazing. Literally my favorite game of all tim3
Try hyper duel
>>
>>3298159
The DX7 is the only barely reasonable comparison there, but the Genesis sound generator would be more accurately compared to a Yamaha Portatone. The SNES sound generator doesn't really have any legitimate comparisons in the synth/workstation category of the time (especially in the consumer price-range), maybe a Casio sampling keyboard. As for the Fairlight comparison, $20,000+ doesn't really qualify as consumer tech.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqDk-UCe7M4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REOnVUCx0Bc

Until this series, I had no idea how bad some of the SNES versions were cause I was a SNESbaby
>>
>>3302282
>The SNES sound generator doesn't really have any legitimate comparisons in the synth/workstation category of the time (especially in the consumer price-range), maybe a Casio sampling keyboard

The Amiga had better quality than the SNES and only loses on polyphony.

My fucking 1988 Casio mt-540 had five times the quality of the SNES and 10-channel polyphony, using only 4 chips (of which 2 were ROM).

No matter what way you are trying to cut it, the SNES sound chip is a cut-down, low-end, cheap version of what was already available at the time.
>>
>>3297990
Never thought about it but this anon might be right. I can't think of anything that was able to do 8 channel pcm/wav playback like snes did prior to 1990. Being an avid tracker (ft2,octamed, impulse, etc) I'm trying to think of an example but I can't @_@

Sure "SAMPLERS" existed around this time, most people used atari st's to control them (via primitive midi programs) but I don't even think they had even 2 seconds of 16bit 44k sample time at that point.

As much as I prefer genesis sound over snes, I gotta give it props for that, thanks anon.
>>
>>3298159
hey dummy a korg m1 cost $5000 when it came out lol

>not a nintendrone just a synth guy
>>
>>3299097
https://youtu.be/UDYzuwG-gOE?t=217

Frank Zappa on a synclavier. Thing is a huge beast.
>>
>>3302334
>My fucking 1988 Casio mt-540
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lHOQh77onw
V.S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzC0MEDHcv4

Sorry Sega babies.
>>
>>3295208
>earthworm jim
>better on genesis

You must really like fart noises
>>
>>3302334
>The Amiga had better quality than the SNES and only loses on polyphony.

Due to a lot more RAM (being a personal computer) maybe. But the actual sound chip has far fewer PCM channels, and each channel it does has is lower quality.

>My fucking 1988 Casio mt-540
he's still comparing computer sound chips to pianos
>>
File: On_the_bed_to_sleep_with.jpg (691 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
On_the_bed_to_sleep_with.jpg
691 KB, 2592x1944
>>3297284
I haven't played the Playstation version to compare, but I'd assume it's relatively equal. Agreed, Technosoft does know how to make a soundtrack which will rock almost anyone's boat. They were programming masters on both the Genesis and Saturn, squeezing amazing audio and visuals.

>>3301565
I am loving 4 at the moment, if I have 20-30 minutes before work, it provides the energy to get going. I am currently stuck on the aptly named "Wall" stage, which has badass music. Sadly, I missed my window decades ago getting Hyper Duel at a reasonable price, it's too costly for my wageslave sad life to ever have.
>>
>>3302373
wow, nice job there, cherry picking the worst quality video made with a cam phone.

At least pick decent videos so you don't make yourself look like an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6CMAxJO6RU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s1nxP9kCJY
>>
>>3297843
Meh, only the SNES and the original 3DS have a bad CPU relative for its time. N64 was pretty fucking cutting edge, as was the GameCube. The WiiU is also pretty good too, the problem is developers are too lazy to bother working with anything other than x86 hardware now.
>>
File: bought_two_by_accident.jpg (736 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
bought_two_by_accident.jpg
736 KB, 2592x1944
Sorry for the earlier off-topic replies (and off-topic image).

I think Rocket Knight on Genesis is better than the one on 360/PS3. Tom Hewlett has his heart in the right place: bring back Silent Hill, Rocket Knight, and Vandal Hearts. All of which I love, but like a bad head coach of a team I love, despite the heart in the right place, unable to deliver possibly by interference by inept ownership/management.

I also think Castle of Illusion is better on the Genesis than on the 360/PS3. I think, to me, it's the solid hitboxes while I may be a poor judge of space with a polygon rendered game. The Genesis original was great to me before the release of Sonic, I think the parallax scrolling was impressive in its day, but now it is very possible the game is shit if I were to play it now.

Scooby Doo Mystery I am only making a guess, because I've not played any other. I just had to get it because it looks so much like a Lucasarts point & click adventure game which I loved so much in my past. There may be better Scooby Doo games, but I don't know any.
>>
>>3297882
>Nintendo was always creating low cost shit hardware.

Not really. Where does this meme come from? The NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube were all cutting edge when they first came out. In some cases they were the strongest consoles released that gen.
>>
>>3302404
You must really like stretched visuals, and cut levels.
>>
>>3302334
I was saying it couldn't be compared because it was so much worse, we're in agreement. I could have been more clear, my apologies.
>>
>>3299796
Every time I'm about to boot it up and try again I remember the fifteen minute long shmup stage and ask myself if that's something I want to deal with today. Unbuffed Mad Hatter is GOAT boss fight on the system though.
>>
>>3302550

They all had weird deficiencies despite being powerful on the whole.
SNES had a trash CPU, N64 had a whole host of bottlenecks and the Gamecube had garbage T&L.
Their handhelds were also outright weak.
That said, it wasn't until the Wii when their flagship consoles were just plain weak.
>>
>>3302631
Yes but just about every console had at least one or two deficiencies. Its hard to think of a console that had the absolute best parts in it for its time. Maybe the Dreamcast and OG Xbox? Concessions were usually made in something. Overall though, Nintendo consoles had always been pretty strong for it's time period until the Wii.
>>
Raiden genesis port is a lot better than the SNES one, although the SNES port has nicer colors.
>>
>>3295237
Aladdin is shit on Genesis compared to the SNES.
>>
>>3302550
NES was very basic and only the video hardware was any notable. It was also an extremely simple and cheap design (hence why it was pirated so much).

SNES had an anaemic CPU paired with a great PPU and a technically advanced but very low-cost pcm synth.

Both of those machines relied on cartridge based expansions to get better sound/video. The NES specifically relied on mappers to increase cart size and video abilities, SNES mainly only added significant processing power since its PPU was already great.

N64 was a cut-down SGI workstation. I think the Indigo line.

Gamecube was actually pretty impressive, but it came out when PCs were doing the biggest leaps in performance. It was eclipsed in just a year, ironically by the next chip (Radeon R300) of the same team who made the GC GPU (ArtX, who Ati bought up).

>>3302631
The Wii was also weak, but they limited it to 480p, so it had much better use of its power. Plus it also used a lot less power, compared to the PS3 and X360.

Their handhelds were sort of the same. They used extremely simple hardware, because they had to limit the power draw. They were right in that regard, even if it made their handhelds underpowered. My only problem with those was that they always had shit audio, and the screen resolution was too small as well.
>>
nuff said
>>
>>3302854
I don't get why people bitch about the power of Nintendo handhelds. It's like people wanted their shit to use like 8 batteries and last for 2 hours.
>>
>>3302872
I don't really like the music on the Genesis, tbqh.
>>
>>3302698
Said no one ever.
>>
>>3297781
>>3297658
SNES versions art style is vomit-ugly.
>>
>>3302872
I really enjoyed this game
>>
File: mega_drive_quest2_screen003.jpg (42 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
mega_drive_quest2_screen003.jpg
42 KB, 480x320
>>3303438
Why? looks like typical capcom 90s game.

I can understand preferring the Virgin game (I disagree, but respect your taste), but "vomit-inducing"?
>>
>>3302698
LEL
>>
>>3303383
Interesting, I thought it was way better than the SNES, but nostalgia or whatever probably has something to do with that. That being said, the Genesis had some crazy bass shit going on and the boogerman soundtrack is almost all bass.
>>
>>3302631
>N64 had a whole host of bottlenecks

It wasn't actually bottlenecked in theory, it's just that the coding requirements for optimal performance were so tight that it just ended up bottlenecked in practice.

>Gamecube had garbage T&L.

It definitely wasn't garbage. More in the "solid but not exceptional" category. The transform part anyway. I do agree that Gamecube was fairly poor at vertex lighting (though being capable of per pixel lighting made up for it).

>>3302854
>It was eclipsed in just a year, ironically by the next chip (Radeon R300) of the same team who made the GC GPU (ArtX, who Ati bought up).

While Gamecube's GPU Flipper was a great chip for what it was (really cheap but cost efficient hardware), it was already eclipsed by the GeForce 3 (let alone a GeForce 4, or Radeon 9700) What Flipper was designed to be was a "GeForce 2" killer (which it was, Flipper is basically a GeForce 2 but better).
>>
File: 1351531537150.gif (2 MB, 640x488) Image search: [Google]
1351531537150.gif
2 MB, 640x488
>>3302872
>MD Boogerman
fuck yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsK_WpzFei8
>>
>>3297658
Capcom Aladdin has more insipid autoscroll levels, thus it loses by default.

Give me the Virgin game over it any day.
>>
File: 1319886204213.png (446 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1319886204213.png
446 KB, 640x480
>>3303767
>those drum samples
>>
>>3303880
And Virgin games have notoriously bad hit detection

Give me a Capcom game where I'm hit for reasons that make sense
>>
>>3303969
With bad hit detection, you can just learn how the hitboxes work and adapt to the way the game was designed.

With bad levels, like the Capcom game, you must slog your way through them.

Down to bad hitboxes vs. bad levels, I'll take the former.
>>
File: arabian moon.png (207 KB, 321x289) Image search: [Google]
arabian moon.png
207 KB, 321x289
>>3303969
>Give me a Capcom game where I'm hit for reasons that make sense
reasons other than you being gay?
>>
>>3303985
>Down to bad hitboxes vs. bad levels, I'll take the former.

You mean latter
>>
>>3302698
They're two completely different games, dude.
>>
>>3297658
Snes version is prettier but the lamp-health in the Genesis one is kind neat.
>>
>>3303985
>>3303969
The only hitboxes that were ever slightly frustrating for me were spikes. The only level, or part of a level, that was kind of dumb is when you have to balance yourself on that pole while the Genie makes a cloud in the Genie level. If you have 0 lives he makes that part easier for you, but it felt badly designed.

Otherwise, both are solid games. Take both.
>>
>>3302872
>A literal shit game
>>
>>3295268
Go back and play the SNES version. It's absolute trash for more reasons than some silly censorship. So much input lag and general slogginess.
>>
I feel that a lot of multiplats from this generation are better on Sega

>SNES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rIaXI--v6s

>Genesis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwMzrKsqX-E
>>
>>3303880

And Virgin Aladdin is full on insipid maze-like level design with no real platforming challenge.
>>
>>3304682
Man, fuck the Jungle Book. It feels like it was designed by someone who never played a video game. The snake boss took a trillion hits to kill.

Graphics were A+ though.
>>
>>3302404
>EWJ
>better on SNES

Wow you must like off tempo drums and wind tunnel noises
>>
>>3304840
>Genesis fanboy talking smack about other system's sound chip
I don't even have an appropriate reaction image for this, so use your imagination.
>>
>>3304840
>>3304857

neo-/vr/ in a nutshell
>>
>>3304857
>>3304840
Here's a tip to stop these shitpost arguments- remember that at the end of the day all these soundchips are garbage because they're old as fuck.
>>
Aladdin and Mortal Kombat.
>>
>>3302681
Raiden isn't supposed to have checkpoints.
>>
>>3304857
>SNES fanboy still believes muffled samples sound better than FM meme

wow i have no reaction image to this
>>
>>3304883
>>3304857
>>3304840

I'm sick of this memes.

Words like "muffled", "farts", "thin", etc... just stop breathing, bros. You can't even enjoy the one thing you used to enjoy, video games. Why keep going?
>>
>>3304907
This. If it's not decades old console wars, it's "sega game x,y,z sucks" or "discuss nintendo game x,y,z".

I'll keep saying it, this place is literally retro-themed /v/.
>>
>>3304857
>Austismo-kun having shit taste in music
What else is new?
>>
>>3304868
Only in the west it was casualized with no checkpoints, in the Japan arcade the checkpoints were obligatory
>>
>>3297441
>Aladdin
>Port

You know that the two are completely different games, right?
>>
>>3295208
Best art style without a doubt.
>>
>>3297441
>ports
Good one dick head. Also the SNES game is better in every possible way except main sprite animation which is irrelevant.
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.