[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virtual boy story thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: 885x.jpg (115 KB, 885x640) Image search: [Google]
885x.jpg
115 KB, 885x640
Hi /vr/... With the up and coming hype for virtual reality headsets, I want to know your stories with virtual reality headsets. Pic related
>>
instead of virtual boy in the original thread, I mean to put "the virtual boy" sorry...
>>
The Virtual Boy barely even qualifies as virtual reality. The VB is basically just a 3D screen, modern VR has much more going on behind the scenes to create a far more immersive experience.

>>3295198
What are you talking about? The first post was phrased perfectly.
>>
>>3295251
Ok, lets change the topic to, experiences with virtual reality... I probably should have just posted this in /v/...
>>
File: TeleroBoxer-07.gif (9 KB, 384x225) Image search: [Google]
TeleroBoxer-07.gif
9 KB, 384x225
>>3295251
Modern headsets are also still 3D screens. Modern VR has more up to date graphics and more power to create more immersion, that's true, but they're still 3D headsets, there's nothing injected into your brain yet, just your eyes.

I have a VB, the effect is nice, and probably very hard to recreate with any sort of emulation and 3D glasses, I assume with stuff like oculus it'd be pretty pretty much like it though.
The games were all mostly traditional 2D games, Wario Land being the best game on it as an example, but it still has one or two games that are based around the VR experience.

First one that comes to mind is Teleroboxer, which is a first person boxing game with robots, pretty badass. You also control each arm with both left and right d-pads, so it feels pretty good to play.
There's Insmouse no yakata, which is a japan-only first person shooting dungeon crawler, I guess. It's based on Lovecraft lore (especially the shadow over innsmouth which is where the name comes from)
>>
>>3295263
>Modern headsets are also still 3D screens
Modern headsets have head- and motion-tracking, as well as an expanded FOV that takes up your peripheral vision. Two important things for immersion the VB lacked.
>>
File: stereoscope.jpg (49 KB, 608x599) Image search: [Google]
stereoscope.jpg
49 KB, 608x599
>>3295271

You have a point. But still the VB can be considered a grandad of modern VR sets.
And before the VB, back in the 1900s, there were stereoscopic visors at arcade alleys and fairs and such, they were just still pictures, but they used the same trick to create the 3D, and were basically headsets.
>>
>>3295263
I have a virtual boy, however I never got to play the games I wanted to so bad like warioworld.

I am stuck with homebrew titles such as...

>Vertical Force (Hudson soft game)
>Many other games that are in Japanese that I can not read including games made by...

>Games by kemco
>Games by T&ESOFT
>Games by Hudson soft
>>
>>3295274
What you listed are third-party games, not homebrew games. Homebrews are games that are made by one guy or a small team and not officially licensed, so the only way to play them on actual hardware is through fake cartridges or flashcarts. That said, the homebrew scene for the VB is actually surprisingly large.

If you want to play games like Wario Land, eBay is one option, but what I'd recommend doing is heading over to planetvb.com and ordering yourself a FlashBoy+. You can put ROMs on it and then play them on real hardware, and it even has battery-backed SRAM for saving games.
>>
>>3295287
Ok, thanks for the tip.
>>
>>3295287

This, the VB scene on planetvb is really good, at least from what I can remember when I visited back in 2010 or so when I got my VB.
They've released even official unreleased games, like High Bound (I think it was called), and made cool ports of games like SSF II Turbo.
The VB is actually a quite capable machine, able to render big sprites and run at constant 60fps. It's a 32bit system, actually.

I'd like to get a flashboy, some games are extremely expensive or rare. But first I'd need an AC adapter.
>>
>>3295292
Actually, the VB only runs at 50Hz, similar to old PAL consoles. You just don't notice because all the games are built for 50Hz. That's also part of the reason it looks fine in motion but jittery when emulated on a 60Hz screen.
>>
>>3295193
>put it on my face
>it gave me a headache
>didnt put it on my face anymore
>>
File: 1453309399439.png (70 KB, 162x248) Image search: [Google]
1453309399439.png
70 KB, 162x248
>>3295193
I'm so sick of hearing about faux-vr and having it shoved in my face fucking everywhere.

Mmmhmmm I can't wait to "play" my favorite Last Of Us, le cinematic "experience" clone in 3D!!
>>
>>3295193
VB stories? Ummm.... I played Wario on a Vitual Boy display at Best Buy back in the day. Some girl kept bugging me about wanting a turn every 15 seconds(was on it for tops 3 minutes) so I told her to go away. She ended up coming back with her mom and I bolted. That was the last time I saw a VB in person.
>>
Tried it at a Hills.
Thought it was cool, but knew id never actually play it.
Didnt care about it
>>
>>3295867
I bought one a few years ago.
I play it some times.
It had a screen failure problem but I fixed it.
It's cool.
>>
>>3295860
Get used to it you massive FAGGOT because every game from now on is going to have some kind of VR or it's going to be considered a dinosaur. Like you, FAGGOT.
>>
>>3298178
Enjoy your shit non games. Back to /v/
>>
>>3298193
No wonder why this board is so sympathetic to /pol/, you're all old ass dinosaurs on the wrong side of history. Top kek, enjoy being irrelevant until you die.
>>
>>3298178
Remember when people thought this about motion controls?
>>
I've been trying to make a lamp-o-tron for a while now, with no success.
>>
>>3295193
>VR equipment
>bumbling retards with their mouths wide open.
Every. fucking. time.
>>
File: 4. Structure.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
4. Structure.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1440
>>3295193
I got a virtual boy story. It's a little risqué but whatever.
>be a kid
>watch crappy 3d movies like lawn mower man and see books like shadowrun
>become obsessed with crappy 3d head sets and the 80s vision of the future
>be teenager
>have first girlfriend and get virtual boy for Christmas
>finally about to get some from girlfriend
>want to make it memorable as shit for me not her
>decide I want to bust into my girls room with my head set on and bang her brains out Johnny Nemonic style
>put rifle strap around VirtualBoy and attach to head
>bust in room, head set slips I try to adjust and save it
>slip forward and smash my virtual boy into my then girlfriends face
>she jumps up naked runs out of the room screaming and I get denied booty

It was a sad time brothers. But I just imagine the site of me in her eyes that day. 3d as fuck brahs
>>
>>3298621
what
>>
>>3298624
Dude wanted to have sex with his girlfriend, while wearing the virtual boy.

>Alpha as fuck if you ask me.
>>
>>3298214
>vocal minority is every one on /vr/

Im sure the best/most of us lurk until we have good input on something that is worthwhile
>>
File: 1447787315783.gif (2 MB, 150x152) Image search: [Google]
1447787315783.gif
2 MB, 150x152
>>3298214
I feel like I just got stabbed with MIND SWORDS
>>
>>3298634
>alpha as Fuck.
Agreed. Sounds like this Chad Thundercock has his head on straight. Girl was an idiot for running.
>>
I legitimately think VBWL is the best Wario Land game. It didn't utilise the VR 3D shit as much as it could've but it's still a solid platformer with a lovely twist.

Are there vive/oculus/Samsung Gear specific solutions for VB emulation?
>>
>>3298621
>strap virtual boy to dick
>want to fuck girlfriend with it
>don't care if it hurts her
>mount said female significant other
>go to insert virtual boy
>it fits
>feel intimidated
>beat the shit out of her for cheating on me
>cops burst into the room
>"What the fuck?! You can't do that! I pay my taxes!"
>"You're coming with us, anon!"
>"Fuck that shit, son!"
>insert Red Alarm cartridge into Virtual Boy, which is still attached to dick
>Pew pew, motherfucker
>cops fold like paper
>"DID MY HOUSE!"
>girlfriends sucks my penor
>cops slick away, their quarry having thwarted them most mightily

This was all on a Monday evening, if you can believe it.
>>
>>3298642
In her defense those things are heavy, and depending on how tall Anon was it could have had mad velocity behind it.
>>
File: 1. Skyscraper.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1. Skyscraper.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1440
>>3298621
Hmm, after seeing some responses, suppose I should say that I strapped it around my forehead not my other head if catch my jist.
>>
>>3295193
If they had chosen white rather than red, it wouldn't have failed. Even blue or green would work, but why red?
>>
>>3295193
one needs only look at the lack of views and interest on youtube of content related to this new wave of VR stuff to see how doomed it.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.