[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game is fucking brilliant.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: skiesofarcadia.jpg (358 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
skiesofarcadia.jpg
358 KB, 1024x768
This game is fucking brilliant.
>>
>>3294520
I love skies of arcadia, but I wouldn't call it brilliant. It's flawed and very cliche, but yet at the same time does it in a way that's so perfect you can overlook the flaws and enjoy it as a very good rpg.
>>
Wild Arms 3 is either comparable or flat out better than Skies of Arcadia in every way.

Also shares some of the same development staff.
>>
Also Aika got raped hard
>>
>>3294535
Not retro anon
>>
>>3294520
I played the hell out of this on my Dreamcast. I bought it on a whim at Kmart. Few years ago I found the Gamecube version like new at a yard sale for $5 and snatched it up. Been sitting in my backlog ever since.

Anyone remember the differences off the top of your head?
>>
>>3294543
New discoveries, all the vmu stuff included in the game, extra bosses, random battle rate toned down.
>>
>>3294527
O-okay...
>>3294535
No thanks.

This game is a perfect RPG in my mind, and a near perfect game.
>>
>>3294541
It's neat that the airship combat sort of partially survived in WA3's hovercraft and LOMBARDIA
>>
>>3294553
Is Wild Arms 3 actually better/similar or is that just a meme?
>>
>>3294551
I don't mean any of the flaws as necessarily a bad thing. It's a so bad it's good kind of thing, really adds to the charm of the game.
>>
File: 1465694534039.jpg (127 KB, 717x960) Image search: [Google]
1465694534039.jpg
127 KB, 717x960
>>3294549
Nice. I should dust it off and play.

...where did my youth go? Sad all of a sudden.

> ywn stumble upon an rpg and spend countless hours exploring and enjoy playing like you did when you were 14

Feels bad, man...
>>
>>3294551
Aika still got raped tho
>>
File: Recommended_Dreamcast_Games.jpg (2 MB, 3177x4966) Image search: [Google]
Recommended_Dreamcast_Games.jpg
2 MB, 3177x4966
Why did the Dreamcast have so many fucking good games?

Most systems have maybe a top 10.
>>
>>3294564
Aika wanted that Vyse dick.
>>
>>3294554
It's pretty similar, aside from not taking place IN THE SKY

Lots of cool enemies, ancient ruins, stuff to search for and discover, a vehicle to upgrade and battle with, EPIC HEROISM and other fun stuff

The battle system is better in Wild Arms

It doesn't have that neat thing where the music changes in the middle of battle though
>>
>>3294570
Well duh, she kissed him near the end of the game. She clearly wants vyse badly. Vyse and Aika make a pretty cute couple.
>>
>>3294560
You can if you cut off the internet.

>>3294578
I want Vyse badly too.
No homo.
>>
>>3294570
Too bad she got some creepy giant bodybuilder dude instead.

Actually it's sort of implied that she was the town slut for all the pirates, and Vyse never touches her or takes her seriously because of it
>>
>>3294574
If you're talking about wild arms 3 keep it on /v/, it isn't retro.
>>
>>3294578
That one scene where Aika has her hair down... HHHNNG

Too bad you couldn't keep it that way.
>>
>>3294583
How many years til its retro?
>>
>>3294587
Apparently until the PS5 gets released
>>
>>3294587
Look man, nobody wants to talk about PS2 games on this board. It will never be retro here.
>>
>>3294601
After the recent E3, it's pretty fucking clear that era of games are retro as fuck now. They are almost incomparable to the way gaming is now.
>>
>>3294613
Until the mods say otherwise, sorry that game isn't retro.
>>
>>3294601
>>3294613
>>3294616
read the fucking sticky. when the next gen is released you can talk about your fucking xbox games
>>
>>3294619
The sticky says the Dreamcast is allowed because 8th gen, but the rest of the gen like ps2 isn't.
>>
File: 1444086911923.jpg (23 KB, 400x465) Image search: [Google]
1444086911923.jpg
23 KB, 400x465
>dreamcast is retro
>gameboy advance isn't
>>
>>3294549
>random battle rate toned down.
Along with the audio bitrate.
>>
>>3294681
It isn't, deal with it.
>>
>>3294520
Agreed. I've never played another game that so perfectly captured the feeling of adventure.

The wonderful thing this game did, from a storytelling standpoint, was to constantly tease the player with things that should feel impossibly to accomplish, i.e. "Nobody's ever escaped the Grand Fortress!", "Flying through the dark rift is impossible!", " Nobody's ever been beneath the clouds!", etc. And yet with time and diligence, you accomplish all of these tasks. The game makes you ask questions that you earn the answers to, it feeds you this sense of old-world ignorance that you personally get to dispel. You start off as a dork without his own boat, and end the game having essentially conquered the world.
>>
>>3295495
So, it is anime: the game.
>>
>>3295506
Fantasy does that and has been doing that for centuries
>>
>>3294883
It's not as bad as most people make it out to be. Especially considering that most of /vr/ has such shitty/non-existent audio setups.
>>
>>3294681
why rules?
>>
>>3295506
I guess so, only that it doesn't suck and I would actually willingly subject myself to it.
>>
>>3295495
That's one of the highlights of the game. I love vyses optimism. Dad's going to be executed tomorrow? I'll make a plan and we will get through this alive. Vyse never acts like a whiny emo faggot like cloud from FF7 which some people have compared it to, he's free of angst. It's truly one of the best RPGs to me.
>>
>>3294681
>dreamcast came out before I was born
>gameboy advance didn't
Fix'd.
>>
Should I play the original or Legends for my first time?
>>
>>3294565
>Why did the Dreamcast have so many fucking good games?

Even the bad games are innovative in their own way and worth checking out.
>>
>>3297032
>Even the bad games are innovative in their own way and worth checking out.

Thats how I feel about most of Sega's output as a company
>>
>>3296905
>Should I play the original or Legends for my first time?

As far as I know Legends is an upgraded version of the original. I would only play Legends because it doesn't change so much that it makes the original a different experience.
>>
>>3296905
it doesn't matter which one you play, just whichever one you do, don't touch the other one, or you will be pissed at neither one of them being preferable to the other, for differing reasons
>>
>>3296905
Go with legends, the improvements and extra content is worth it
>>
>>3294520
Played it for about an hour and lost interest. I already have Grandia, I don't need another RPG
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.