[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
the "does it hold up?" thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 205.gif (121 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
205.gif
121 KB, 600x600
Should I play yhe first Tomb Raider?
The first Warcraft?
Pool of Radiance?
>>
Tomb Raider definitely - PC version with graphic mods
Warcraft if you like RTS games
Pool of Radiance maybe not unless you REALLY love the Realms
>>
>Should I play yhe first Tomb Raider?

Yes. Do it. Now!
>>
You shouldn't play anything
>>
>>3295019
This.
>>
>>3295019
Mostly this. But if you must, play Warcraft II.
>>
First Tomb Raider is great. Get this to play it
http://www.tombraiderhub.com/guides/2014/12/11/tomb-raider-advanced-installer/ or play/emulate on playstation.

I played through all the TR games multiple times and i have to say the first one is my favourite. Great level design, great puzzles especially for the limitations of the engine. No bullshit solutions that basically require a guide (TR 3 and 4 really have that problem). And especially great atmosphere.
>>
Hold up to what? Are you so dumb/young you can't put yourself in the year those games came out and enjoy everything for what it was?
>>
>>3294382
Orcs and Humans really doesn't hold up. WC2 does literally everything better.
>>
Fun fact about Tomb Raider, apparently the Saturn release is the original and Playstation is the port. After they realized Saturn was failing they begrudgingly continued work on the series on PS. Maybe that explains why the sequels don't feel as great as the original.
>>
>>3295183
>begrudgingly got rich
It was a multi-platform release. TR2 "feels" EXACTLY the same it's just the level design that got tinkered with and "save anywhere" did change the intensity. If anything, it's that mechanic that lead to somewhat looser level design since the designers didn't have to carefully pace the challenges into manageable segments between save points turning the whole experience into an official savescummer game. I'm sure this would have happened whether or not the games were released on Saturn. If anything, that would have led to them being even more rushed.
>>
Warcraft was a lot of fun for me as a kid. I would give Warcraft a try.
>>
I played warcraft 2 first.

It makes warcraft 1 feel really sluggish. I'd recommend just watching all the story on youtube then starting with warcraft 2.
>>
How is Tomb Raider 3? Should I get it?
>>
>>3294432
>Tomb Raider definitely - PC version with graphic mods

Good luck getting that to run on a modern system. DOSbox can't handle full 3D rendering worth shit.

I'd just recommend the PS1 version. Dated textures aside, it's perfectly playable. Also, the PC version had fewer soundtrack elements than the PS1 version. I'm not sure which specific tracks are affected, but I believe it's limited to some of the game's ambient tracks.

>Pool of Radiance

As far as the Gold Box games are concerned, the gameplay engine is mostly the same from one game to the next, excepting series like Eye of the Beholder. (which I'd recommend) The only other game in that series I still play to date is the NES port of Pool of Radiance, which actually has a soundtrack.

(And if you like that, also look into Sword of the Elements for NES. It's more similar to Elder Scrolls with realtime gameplay.)
>>
>>3295272
>How is Tomb Raider 3?

Possibly the hardest game in the series. The developers went all out in making every level into a massive cluterfuck of non-linearity. It may be possible to complete the game without a guide, but you'll probably waste hours backtracking through the same spots over and over again.

As far as Tomb Raiser is concerned, TR2 is my favorite. It's by no means the best place to start with the series, but it's a great follow up to the first game.
>>
>>3295304
check my link >>3295032
can't get easier that this and it works on my win10
>>
File: screen27.jpg (92 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
screen27.jpg
92 KB, 800x600
>>3295272
can confirm it's the hardest in the series. You're constantly low on health packs, ammo and save crystals (on pc you can save anytime). Also lots of unforgiving traps. And the ps1 version is SO DARK.
Really nice atmoshphere though and it has the most varied levels in the series (Rainforest with dinosours, Indian ruins, London with downtown, subway and a museum, Antarctica with zombie things, nevada desert with fucking area 51) and all of them have superb level design.
This game also has an atv and a kanu section, which both control horrible but they are still fun
Also i think asthetically it's the nicest looking game, great colours great shadowing.
Also it has the Desert Eagle which is my favourite gun in the series.

So yeah great game one of the best in the series, but the hardest by far
>>
>>3295183
The Saturn was the first platform for TR, which is why the hand-stand is in PS1 and not the Saturn version.
There were plans to release TR2 on Saturn but they claimed it couldn't handle the outdoor sections.

Magazines at the time mentioned some exclusivity deal with Sony and Core for the rights to TR, but that was obviously wrong if it ended up on PC, so maybe the graphics claims were true.
>>
>>3295317
I grew up playing the first four TR games with my stepdad on the PC. For his birthday I bought all four for him in box (and on steam) and we drank and took turns playing three. We had a blast and talked about remembering how long some of the easier puzzles used to take and making fun of Angel of Darkness. Fucking Angel of Darkness...
>>
>>3296141
I think the main reason the sequels don't quite live up the the original is mainly because the lead designer changed
>>
>>3296190
sorry i was refering to this post>>3295183
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.