[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Historical Simulations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
I've been playing Nobunaga's Ambition: Lord of Darkness on the SNES recently and it's a lot of fun even though I suck at it. Have been meaning to revisit Genghis Khan II recently as well.

What other historical sims have you enjoyed? I enjoy the macro-level stuff (esp. politics and the like) more than the actual combat, so if you could recommend games along those lines, please do.
>>
Have you tried Cosmology of Kyoto? It's rather slow, but it is impressively atmospheric.

Also, while not retro, have you tried any of the Paradox Studios grand strategy games (Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, etc.)?
>>
>>3294304
YU-NO
>>
File: Ohrai.jpg (215 KB, 1173x768) Image search: [Google]
Ohrai.jpg
215 KB, 1173x768
>>3294304
I love the covers to all the Koei games
>>
>>3294304
Liberty or Death
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (312 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
312 KB, 1920x1080
Pic related. You can clean dungeons, but also be in battles and spy.
>>
File: Nobunaga_screen4.gif (37 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Nobunaga_screen4.gif
37 KB, 256x224
Koei was pretty much the only console developer proactively releasing historical simulators, although I do recall a few odd titles here and there like Shingen the Ruler by Hot-B.
>>
>>3294304
Koei are great at this, as others mentioned.
Maybe you could give Civilization a go where you guide a tribe from the stone age to modern days, though things can go out of hand, like Zulus building a spaceship in the 18th century. Sure, why not.

Then you have Colonization or even Caesar/Pharaoh series though the later are more about management.

If you like medieval England you can try Castles or Lord of the Realms II.
>>
where should I start with all these koei games?

they seem pretty dauting, like "read a fat manual or die" kind of daunting
>>
>>3297856

Maybe Nobunaga's Ambition for the Genesis, which I think was also ported to SNES. Pictured here >>3297720

Nobunaga's Ambition doesn't seem to involve quite as much management as the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series, so it might be a more newbie-friendly entry. You'll still have to read the manual though. These types of games involve two very different fronts: Managing your territories, and carrying out war tactics against opponents. It's all menu-driven, but the various functions available to you require some advance study.

One thing that confused me when I first started playing was the combat mechanics, because there are a number of unit types and they have a kind of rock-paper-scissors affinity going on. It's important to keep the right balance of infantry versus cavalry versus other unit types, and know how to target the appropriate corresponding enemy unit types.
>>
>>3295834
Yeah, I bought CK2 in a steam sale which kinda kicked off my interest in the genre. I find it a bit overwhelming (or perhaps I'm too impatient) but I pick it up from time to time. Haven't played Cosmology yet but I see it pop up in the Sato threads.

>>3297323
>Liberty or Death
Good suggestion, been meaning to play that one.

>>3297761
>If you like medieval England you can try Castles or Lord of the Realms II.
Never heard of these, will check them out.

Thanks everyone!
>>
what about the ps1 three kingdoms games? it has a port of IV and VI
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.