[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Space Opera
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 11
File: Uhura-1_zps9c8e8a3d.gif (323 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
Uhura-1_zps9c8e8a3d.gif
323 KB, 900x675
I'd really like to play some kind of space opera game where I can kind of get lost in a fictional universe with aliens and political intrigue. A big, complicated, deep game, preferably turn-based. PC preferred. I know Star Control and its sequels, but its combat is real-time.

Simulation levels of detail might be a bit much, but I do want some weight to the game. Basically, the more engrossing it is, and the more I can feel like I'm learning about a whole new fictional world, coming to love or hate NPCs and have views on fictional politics, and so on.

I don't know if anything like this exists, but given that it's likely to be somewhat of a "hardcore" game, I thought it was more likely to be /vr/ than /v/ material.

Thanks for anything you can recommend for me.

waifu unrelated
>>
File: Starflight2.png (14 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
Starflight2.png
14 KB, 320x200
Starflight for sega genesis
>>
>>3294198
I'll check it out. Thank you.
>>3294201
What?
>>
>>3294207
Starflight has the biggest sega manual ever.
It's like a book.

Thats how you know you're entering some serious hardcore shit.
>>
>>3294209
Found a PDF of it. 145 pages. Damn. Anyway, thank you. I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>3294234
If been wanting and I actually found it complete at a thrift store. It was premium priced at $6 but I was still happy. A lot of the manual is in fact a novella that explores the setting but there's plenty of shit you'll want to reference.

Another game you might want to check out is Freelancer
>>
After you're done with Starflight check out two other great immersive space titles on the Megadrive with Star Trek the Next Gen and Buck Rogers
>>
>>3294196
Not exactly what you're looking for, but Elite and Elite 2: frontier are both great space sims
>>
File: MOO.jpg (48 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
MOO.jpg
48 KB, 413x395
Master of Orion
>>
File: ME0-Title-v2.png (54 KB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
ME0-Title-v2.png
54 KB, 280x210
>>3294198

Best game on MD. I was working on a ROM hack to make it a mass effect game, but that project stalled somewhat. Eventually I'll get my head around the graphics compression and the DMA shit they do in that game.
>>
>>3295170
goodluck
>>
File: IMG_20160616_153304.jpg (825 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160616_153304.jpg
825 KB, 2048x1536
>>3294234
It also gives you a guide on how to beat the game. Its big because its double sided
>>
>>3294196
Its not quite retro anon but zone of the enders: the fist of mars is exatly what youre looking for.
>>
Star Fox 64
>>
>>3294198
What the flying fuck is that utter nonsense text in green at the bottom? Is it because the ship's translator is broken or something?
>>
Star Ocean 2... kinda...
>>
fyi Starflight was a direct inspiration to Star Control. It's basically the same fucking game but not nearly as deep.
>>
>>3294196
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
>>
Star Ocean, Phantasy Star, Knights of the Old Republic
>>
File: header.jpg (53 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
53 KB, 460x215
>>
>>3294196
hardwar for the pc
>>
>I'd really like to play some kind of space opera game where I can kind of get lost in a fictional universe with aliens
we were doing so well
>>
>>3294196

Protip, if you want political intrigue read up on history of Rome. Most of sci fi is inspired by and alludes to IRL events and dillemas. Especially Star Trek, which are downright blatant about it in the holodeck.
>>
>>3294196
You need to try Ascension. Oh, and if you are looking for something very different and fun to play, try the original DUNE Dos game.
>>
>>3298387
Not all aliens use the same grammar or the same way of talking.
Think along the lines of the Darmok episode of TNG
>>
File: Gheb7.gif (583 KB, 639x397) Image search: [Google]
Gheb7.gif
583 KB, 639x397
Protostar: War on the Frontier
>>
>>3298787
never expected to see this again
>>
>>3294196
If you want a REALLY obscure title try Iron Seed.
>>
Anyone ever finished Starflight?
>>
>>3294196
i wanna eat out uhura's ass
>>
Wing Commander?
>>
File: Dune_-_1992_-_Virgin_Games,_Ltd..jpg (142 KB, 1440x1152) Image search: [Google]
Dune_-_1992_-_Virgin_Games,_Ltd..jpg
142 KB, 1440x1152
>>3298443
I was going to suggest this.

Also pic related: Dune (1992). I never completed it but I was into the Frank Herbert book and the Lynch movie so I was quite excited to play it.

I dunno what it would be like for someone who hasn't been exposed to the story but I'd recommend seeing the movie before playing the game.
>>
>>3294413
>>3298443
Agreed of both of these.
>>3304993
>tfw you will never have a threesome with your mother and hot blue eyed wife.
>>
>>3304993
>I dunno what it would be like for someone who hasn't been exposed to the story but I'd recommend seeing the movie before playing the game.

I played (and loved) that game before actually seeing the movie or reading the book. It was difficult to watch the movie or read the book afterwards because the game covers a LOT of it.
>>
File: sundog-splash-screen.gif (7 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
sundog-splash-screen.gif
7 KB, 320x200
>>3294196
SunDog, on Atari ST (it's by FTL, the same people who made Dungeon Master).

>>3308448
I don't know jack about Dune, but wouldn't the reverse also logically be true?
>>
>>3295209
>zone of the enders: the fist of mars
>Mecha game
>Mission structure
>Designed to resemble a full anime series
>Playing a 17 year old saving the world

Aye, exactly what he's after. Christ, Japan is so shite at fiction.
>>
>>3304993
>This looks a lot like KGB
>It's another Cryo game

Nice. Will have to give this a look.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.