[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm about to play the first LoZ game, the first Zelda title
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: zelda.jpg (183 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
zelda.jpg
183 KB, 720x960
I'm about to play the first LoZ game, the first Zelda title I have ever played. What should I expect? Is the game beatable without any help whatsoever? I've heard there's a lot of typical cryptic 80's game secrets that have plagued titles like Castlevania 2.
>>
>What should I expect?

Action and puzzle-solving. Albeit, LoZ puzzles weren't all that complex, as there were only a few possible actions you could perform in any given room.

>Is the game beatable without any help whatsoever?

Yes. Only the second quest is slightly disorienting, but still totally beatable without a guide. I can think of maybe one or two parts that would confuse most people. (and only on the second quest)

>I've heard there's a lot of typical cryptic 80's game secrets that have plagued titles like Castlevania 2.

The symptom doesn't apply to the original LoZ. Some people have directed such complaints at Zelda II, but I think they're full of shit. I beat that game when I was 10.
>>
Yes you can definitely beat it even without a map like the one that came with the game. Just listen to what the old men say. Sometimes it's useless bullshit but other times they give vital clues, such as the location of a dungeon.
>>
File: a ok boss.jpg (71 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
a ok boss.jpg
71 KB, 800x532
This game requires a walk through of some sort and definitely a map. You should be able to make it through with that much, but going in blind just equates to you wandering around for 2 hours then, eventually, be in a dungeon that you don't belong in. Other than that, it's still a solid 3 decades old game. The 2nd one is a different story.
>>
>>3292624
>This game requires a walk through of some sort and definitely a map

It doesn't, and I'm sorry that you think it does, or that wandering around for 2 hours is somehow a detriment and not where all the satisfaction is.
>>
>revisionists pretending it's fun to bomb literally every single wall looking for the next place to go
>>
>>3292475
>I've heard there's a lot of typical cryptic 80's game secrets that have plagued titles like Castlevania 2

Nothing you wouldn't find by just exploring. Also, most, if not all of the secret shit is entirely optional rather than mandatory.
>>
File: z1manual-03-04.jpg (202 KB, 1000x381) Image search: [Google]
z1manual-03-04.jpg
202 KB, 1000x381
>>3292629
0% shame in overworld map.
>>
>>3292629
Wandering aimlessly and meticulously tapping every last wall for something is no better than grinding 15 levels in an RPG to survive a boss's initial attack.
>>
>>3292632
>I already know all of the secret walls and bushes from spending years playing it as a kid, reading magazines and talking about it on the playground.
>Therefore, you're an impatient idiot underage if you don't know them too.
>>
>>3292713

Yeah, exactly.
>>
>>3292475
>Is the game beatable without any help whatsoever?
It is.

Of course, some people will want to use a map and/or walkthrough, and that's okay. I'm not going to berate anyone for playing a game "wrong."
>>
File: Legend_of_zelda_map_front.jpg (382 KB, 2104x788) Image search: [Google]
Legend_of_zelda_map_front.jpg
382 KB, 2104x788
>>3292475
The manual is fair game
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.