[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PAL vs. NTSC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: PAL-NTSC-world-map.gif (33 KB, 500x241) Image search: [Google]
PAL-NTSC-world-map.gif
33 KB, 500x241
So did PAL really win in the end?

>higher resolution
>richer colour palette
>fairly good refresh rate

What are your thoughts and experiences, /vr/?
>>
>>3291923
Why does that even exist? I don't quite understand. Why couldn't it all be PAL or NTSC?
>>
>>3291923

0/10, anon. 50hz is trash and the marginally higher maximum resolution of PAL isn't even close to taken advantage of by retro consoles.
>>
TVs suck either way. Computer monitors are where it's at.
>>
>>3291937
50hz is fine for videogames. It's only when developers get lazy and don't optimise for PAL when the games run like dogshit.
>>
File: Zoisitesmug.jpg (46 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Zoisitesmug.jpg
46 KB, 400x400
>>
>>3291949
Exactly. There's no difference between 50Hz and 60Hz. You can barely tell the difference. Watch the retards come in now with their emperor's new clothes autism. PAL is superior when optimized, otherwise it can really suck having slowdown.
>>
>>3291936
PAL was meant to improve on NTSC, because NTSC was older and shittier.
>>
File: shogguy.png (8 KB, 250x229) Image search: [Google]
shogguy.png
8 KB, 250x229
>PAL version of OoT runs at a rock solid, cinematic 18fps
>>
>>3291923
They both suck since they encode rgb into a single analog cable.

Technically speaking PAL has a better encoding, NTSC only wins because the majority of content comes from countries that use NTSC.

PAL60 is the best answer btw. PAL quality at 60hz.
>>
>>3291968
>You can barely tell the difference.

The same could be said about the colors on PAL.

Both encoding systems work, but the majority of /vr/ games discussed work better on NTSC due to Japan, who most of the times didn't care to optimize for PAL.
>>
>>3291949
>50hz is fine

Keep telling yourself that, yurofriend.
>>
>>3291969
Well did it? All the emulated and non emulated games I've played have been NTSC.
>>
Why did Japan go with NTSC when most of Asia is either PAL or SECAM?
>>
>NTSC VS PAL

Why do I give a shit? I can play both through emulation. What is the fucking point of these consolewar/regionwar threads?
>>
>>3292013
Because Japan wanted to sell televisions to America.
>>
>>3291923
Why is the Black Sea secam?
>>
>>3292031
To determine who had the superior childhood.
>>
>>3292060
slav countries tended to be SECAM for whatever reason
>>
>>3292013
>Why did Japan go with NTSC when most of Asia is either PAL or SECAM?

They were invaded by americans when Television got widespread in the country.
>>
>>3292060
Well, it's called Seacam after all.
>>
>>3291923
The fuck is France doing lumped in with the 2nd and 3rd worlds?
>>
>>3292013
>>3292071
Wasnt japan the first ones with EDTV/HDTV?
>>
>>3291968
Sorry but you can absolutely tell the difference. Your attempts at covering yourself with "LMAO @ U AUTISTS" is futile, anyone with functioning eyes and 2 minutes of experience playing video games can see and feel the differences. You can go look up examples all over the internet right fucking now.
>>
>>3292081
A third of Africa were French colonies.

Better question is how the hell did Russia end up with Secam?
>>
>>3292081
>The fuck is France doing lumped in with the 2nd and 3rd worlds?

You mean what Japan is doing lumped in with 2nd and 3rd world countries.

>>3292084
Yes, 40 years later.
>>
>>3292013
>>3292071
Same reason why West Africa uses SECAM.
>>
Strange how Denmark uses PAL while Greenland uses NTSC.
>>
>>3291923
>black bars
>50hz
>17% slower
Yeah PAL totally won...
>>
>>3291942
Indeed. PVMs are the one true god.
>>
>PAL fag
>download Mega Man 2 soundtrack
>sounds like shit but can't put a finger on it
>it's a NTSC rip and all the songs are sped up
>>
>>3291973
Best answer
>>
>>3291923
I feel really sorry for those people who can't enjoy original NTSC versions because their inner child has a stranglehold over them

it's like stockholm syndrome but with video games
>>
>>3291936
PAL was designed for countries with similar power outputs, generally 220-240V. Because of this there were alterations to the console to change the refresh rate of the games. You vey likely could have designed an American console to have PAL output, but because their power output is 120V (I think) it eould require an entirely new console anyway.
>>
PAL 60 > NTSC >>>>>> PAL
>>
>>3292306
Black bars though.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.