[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best version of this to get? I much prefer the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 443x332
What's the best version of this to get? I much prefer the European soundtrack, so that rules out the Gems Collection on PS2 and the 1996 PC port.
>>
>>3290946

The Steam one. You will need to replace the opening tracks though since there was legal bullshit.
>>
>>3290946
>Sonic CD The Hedgehog
Why has he adopted two final initials? Is it something to do with Heitor TP, the Simply Red guitarist?
>>
>>3290946
Mega cd one as it has everything intact and the original physics which are changed in the pc version.
>>
File: SONIC THE HEDGEHOG-CD002.png (27 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG-CD002.png
27 KB, 640x480
>>3291070

This, although the original physics are still there in the hD remake, but they're not the default.

However there's something that's missing from the HD remake, and that is the timer reset mechanic which kind of sucks because you're still forced to play a zone in 10 minutes max, no matter if you time travel or not.

Original Sega CD version remains the best to me because of that.

PC version has annoying extra loading times, gems collection is based on the PC version and also has extra glitches, avoid that as well.

It's either original for purists, or HD remake for newbies who also want widescreen and sonic 2 physics for those who are casual.
>>
>>3291081
But the Sega CD version has the crappy US soundtrack. Give me the Mega CD version, please.
>>
>>3291081
>Sonic 2 physics for those who are casual.
we're talking about Sonic here, the game anyone can pick up and play

the word casual has no business being here, and keep in mind there's people who complain about Sonic CD no matter what version it is because they just want to hold right
>>
>>3291118
you can easily replace the WAVs in either version, you can even make your own custom soundtrack
>>
>>3291118

It's CURRENT YEAR, just download whatever version you want and burn it to a CD-R.

One issue I have with the Mega CD version over the others is the amount of acceleration time it takes to warp, something like five seconds. It's sometimes quite difficult to pull off, I believe they shortened it to two or three seconds for the American release. So the remake is an easier game overall, if you're into that.
>>
>>3291017
How do you do that?
>>
Best Sonic game ever made
>>
Grab the Steam one, lets you choose between JP and US soundtracks.
>>
Fuck the European soundtrack, there is only one true Sonic The Hedgehog soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEannNh8ihA
>>
>>3290946
Taxman remake. Sadly missing the japanese songs.
>>
>>3291119
>>Sonic 2 physics for those who are casual.
>we're talking about Sonic here, the game anyone can pick up and play
Then only Sonic CD is valid because it's the only one that has realistic momentum which won't confuse or cause motion sickness for someone who doesn't play videogames all the time.
>>
>>3294704
it's the best looking and best sounding one that's for fucking sure, and that's a pretty big thing in sonic
>>
>>3291070
Remake doesn't have slowdowns. Remake is pure win.
>>
>>3290946
>SonicCD the Hesgehog
>>
>>3291070
Remaster is better because it has fixed collision detection
>>3291081
>Sonic 2 physics
No you retarded fuck
The physics are straight from CD with the Sonic 2 spindash put on it

There's no Sonic 2 physics to be found in there
There is Sonic 3 physics when you play as Tails tho and goddamn does it control so much more smoothly

Anyways
Let's get the bullet point out of the way

Cons
>Jap Intro/Ending songs are replaced with instrumental versions because back then Sega didn't have the rights to the lyrics(now they do but they're too lazy to patch in the proper songs the fucking cunts)
>Cropped cutscenes from the original PC Version(this one's kind of a downer)
>Jap Music is compressed because it's using the 510 beta versions with the loops

Pros
>You can play as Tails when you unlock him
>Special Stages are now 60fps
>Collision Detection which was a problem in the original Mega CD version is now fixed
>Can choose between US and JAP soundtrack
>Can use Sonic 2 spindash
>>
>>3294704
>4th best Sonic game ever made
Fixed for accuracy you degenerate hipster
>>
>>3295060
>it's the best looking
No
Sonic CD looks underwhelming as fuck for a Sega CD Game
Sonic 3 and Knuckles looks vastly superior graphically it's not even close

>best sounding
This I agree with but tied with 3&K
>>
File: I_also_have_Chaotix.jpg (704 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
I_also_have_Chaotix.jpg
704 KB, 2592x1944
I think in the original Sonic CD games you can go fast enough that the enemies can spawn above the ground they move on, so you can see them drop into place. I did play the rerelease on 360 and it is as I remembered it minus the aforementioned enemy spawning issue. Also I think the newer widescreen releases does not reset the timer if you time travel, so it is somewhat restrictive in the way I play Sonic games where I explore as much of the whole stage as permissible, collecting as much as I can. Which for CD, means I go present -> bad future -> past -> good future.
>>
>>3297110
Sonic 3 looks great

S&K looks like shit
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.