[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Another side of history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: ZXSpectrum48k.jpg (440 KB, 2168x1593) Image search: [Google]
ZXSpectrum48k.jpg
440 KB, 2168x1593
So, Britfags, I'm curious as to your whole perception of the retrogaming past. In 'Murrica we were all hot for Nintendo and the like, with the C64, the Spectrum, and other computers being more of a footnote. Do you chaps feel underrepresented? When you look at the past and see all the Nintendo retrojerking going on, does it make you feel a trifle disenfranchised? Enlighten a curious murricafag here.

Also, if there are any Russiafags I'd also be interested in hearing about shitty soviet games because I find that topic entertaining.
>>
>>3290626
>Commodore 64
>footnote
Uh...
>>
Ameritards continue to crow on and on to this day about "The Great Video Game Crash of '83".

There was no such fucking thing.

All that happened was the American game market collapsed due to spastication. The rest of the world was just fine and kept on gaming.

The gaming scene in Europe back then reminds me so much of the indie scene today - with loners literally coding games in their bedroom.

There was a fucking ton of shite. But there was also so much goodness. And during the Spectrum/C64 days, it was cheap as fuck anyway so you never felt out of pocket.
>>
>>3290968
>implying the Atari 2600 didn't have a strong presence over there
>implying you felt no ripple effect from the video game crash of 1983
Silly Britfag.
>>
>>3290626
welcome to teh intarwabz footnote
>>
>>3290981
Not much that I remember. The UK was always more enamoured with computers rather than consoles at that time.

The Speccy and C64 were already on the go by '82.
>>
>>3290626
i always laugh when brits feel superior with their shovelware machines
>>
>>3291083
Yes, because the Atari 2600 and NES didn't have any shovelware.
>>
I don't understand the American obsession with the ZX as a symbol of European gaming. It was the most popular because it was cheap, but all the other microcomputers were objectively better systems.
>>
>>3291085
atari 2600 came out in 1977

the NES actually had potential, unlike the spectrum
>>
>>3291083
Remind me again why ATARI fucked up and destroyed an entire market?

Shovelware was just the reality of a juvenile medium back then. It was the wild west of gaming. For better or worse.
>>
>>3291092
because literally anyone could make anything for the atari 2600

its exactly like the yuro computer market, 99% shitty ass games
>>
File: Facepalm.gif (48 KB, 387x259) Image search: [Google]
Facepalm.gif
48 KB, 387x259
>>3291092
>ATARI fucked up and destroyed an entire market
>>
The Speccy is actually very much built on the same philosophy as the Apple II, which is to say cleverly designing a computer out of cheap, easily-obtainable TTL logic. Other than the 4116 RAM (you can now get a board to replace them with modern 32x8k SRAM) all of the ICs in the Speccy are still manufactured/readily available. Quite different in that regard from Commodore's proprietary ICs.
>>
Most Speccy games were awful, unplayable, amateurism garbage. Half of them weren't even beatable; the game would often just lock up when you reached a certain level.
>>
>>3291139
i don't understand why my C64 has socketed chips when all the ICs are proprietary
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (138 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
138 KB, 1280x720
Ahhh Double Dragon on the C64 - a game so fucking awful the programmers actually included an apology in the instruction manual.
>>
>>3291198
Why is Billy Lee a Paki?
>>
>>3291198
The Double Dragon of the microcomputers was Target Renegade
>>
>>3291139
http://zx.zigg.net/LRR/

This is the board I'm talking about btw.
>>
>>3291242
which was an unofficial sequel to a port of a game by the same creator
>>
>>3291197
The most non-replaceable C64 components are the VIC/SID. The 6510 is a custom job, but it's just a 6502 with an I/O port added and a "pause" feature to allow the VIC II to refresh memory. A stock 6502 could probably be rigged up to a circuit which simulates the 6510's I/O port. The 6522 is still made by WDC, but it's a modernized CMOS version that isn't 100% identical to the old NMOS 6522.

It's also possible to use SRAMs in a C64 but the system architecture makes it a serious headache to implement compared to the Spectrum. This guy actually did an SRAM mod, but he said it's probably not worth the effort.

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56301
>>
>>3291242
Good game but no Abobo.
>>
>>3291198
Did any system get a good port of Double Dragon? Even the Megadrive version was shit.
>>
File: 450px-C64C_V2.jpg (19 KB, 450x225) Image search: [Google]
450px-C64C_V2.jpg
19 KB, 450x225
C64Cs are better anyway than the old breadbox model; they have fewer ICs and the more reliable 8510 SID.

It's important to heat sink the VIC and SID and get rid of the RF shield box on the former (which traps heat). Also DO NOT use the original Commodore power brick. They're utter garbage and a bad one will cook your RAM chips (they're more sensitive to overvoltage than the other ICs in the computer).
>>
>>3291198
The C64 got another port of Double Dragon to make up for it. The 2nd attempt was better but still shit.
>>
>>3291264
what about the CIA chip which is really easy to fry if you don't know that plugging a Genesis controller in it can fry it
>>
>>3291297
CIA=6522
>>
>>3291364
oh yeah, you're right, sorry
>>
>>3291264
65C02s are also still made, again this is a modernized version without undocumented opcodes (mainly needed by demos and copy protections).
>>
File: 800px-Apple_II_IMG_4212.jpg (47 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
800px-Apple_II_IMG_4212.jpg
47 KB, 800x800
home computers and the arcades? huge phenomenons of the 80's that have been silently omitted from history, probably because by their nature these things do not have the convenience factor that we now take for granted.

the US had its own history of not-nintendo, but generation meme doesnt want to know (until a talking head on youtube tells them otherwise)
>>
>>3290981
We felt nothing. The year before the ZX Spectrum came out and it was a glorious time.
>>
>>3291414
The Apple II was a real piece of shit.
>>
>>3291473
As compared to what?
>>
>>3291482
Every other microcomputer.
>>
>>3291473
It came out in 1977, and it was ahead of its time.
>>
>>3291497
>shilling for hardware that hasn't been sold since the late 80's
are you literally brain damaged
>>
>>3291501
You're trying to defend the honour of an awful computer from an awful company. That's shilling.
>>
>>3291503
shilling is when you're trying to sell something

>>>/v/
>>
>>3291508
You're a fucking newfag. Lurk moar.
>>
>>3291510
>newfag
again, >>>/v/
>>
>>3291514
>everything that triggers me is /v/
>>
>>3291517
i could make a bingo game out of your shit posts
>>
>>3291519
Nice meme
>>>/v/
>>
>>3291489
Ok, what are the specific technical aspects of the Apple II that you rate poorly against contemporary machines? Most of them didn't even have sound, expansion slots, or actual graphics back then.
>>
During that time for both ZX and C64 (but ZX was the king of it) there were tons of weird games developed by a couple of guys in their spare time instead of having 4 or 5 programmers that worked for some big software house.
They were surely clankier and less refined than the ones that you could buy on console, yet they had a charm, some ideas that were often ahead of their time and a humour on their own, like Jet Set Willy paying hommage to Monty Python.
My favourite from that era is surely Skool Daze
>>
File: 17jhwz65v6hrojpg.jpg (57 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
17jhwz65v6hrojpg.jpg
57 KB, 800x450
>>3291198
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.