[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Retropie /vr/? I set it up on a Pi 3 connected to a crt and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1
File: Retropie_Splash.png (166 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Retropie_Splash.png
166 KB, 640x400
Is Retropie /vr/?

I set it up on a Pi 3 connected to a crt and I'm having as much fun as when I first modded my Wii.

Anybody else using it?

What are your thoughts on it?
>>
Yes it's retro since it's used to emulate retro games

My thoughts on it ate that it's inferior to amodded Wii. Why aren't you just playing on your Wii?
>>
>>3290475
I wanted a project to work on. I ended up building a nice manchild enclosure for it.

I don't see how it's inferior to a Wii since it plays ps1 games nicely, is more customizable, and has regular updates unlike the Wii homebrew scene.
>>
>>3290489
Wii can output 240p over component
>>
>>3290571
Yeah, I haven't had much luck getting 240p on the pi.

I still wouldn't say it's inferior as an emulator system.

Anybody know of any ways to downscale the signal to get muh scanlines?
>>
>>3290576
just use an lcd
>>
>>3290576
As I understand it you're SOL because the video chipset is closed source
>>
>>3290582
Damn.

Has /vr/ done any retro projects with a pi or similar computers?
>>
>>3290589
Probably. I personally just have an XP machine with CRT_Emudriver as my serious emulation computer, Wii for casual emulation and Android devices for mobile and general OTG.
>>
How do I use an HDD with my pi? I can't get it to work.
>>
>>3290614
Sata to usb.
>>
>>3290614
You may need an external power source if the pi can't output enough power.
>>
>>3290614
>>3290650
powered usb hub in this case
>>
Yes, I won a pi 3 at a hackathon and finally decided to try retropie. It's cool, it basically removes my need to emulate retro shit on my ps3/wii since even though it has lower specs, the emulators just get more support.

I wish there was good jaguar emulation (at all), I really want to play highlander

Everything mainstream up to ps1 runs great tho
>>
>>3290682
Have you tried playing Silent Hill and Kirby Superstar on it? I couldn't get either of them working.
>>
>>3290576
>I still wouldn't say it's inferior
Yeah pi owners say shit like that all the time.
>>
>>3290457
i like it. it was a nice way to play pce/pce-cd games before i bought a duo-r. i use it to play sega cd games since i'll never buy one of those. setup is kind of a pain for no reason.
>>
>>3290940
Ok funposter, I hope you enjoy your opinion.
>>
>>3290947
>I bought a PCE Duo-R but I'll never buy a Sega CD
Literally wtf
>>
>>3290457
>Pi 3 connected to a crt

You realize it's outputting 480i, right? Or are you blind? RPi is absolute shit for CRT gaming.
>>
>>3292056
I like my crt. You want to fight, bitch?
>>
>>3292062
He's taking about no 240p
>>
>>3292082
It's connected through a vga cable so it should be 480p.
I'd rather it be 240p, but I can live with it.
>>
>>3290571
The raspiberry pi for more ldc/led tvs.The last time i hear about the rca output being 480i only
>>
>>3292087
If you're using a VGA CRT just do 640x480x60hz at 60fps, use a simple scanline filter and crank up the CRT to get some nice bloom. Will feel basically the same as 240p.
>>
>>3292120
How do I do that? I haven't found a 480 scanline filter.
>>
>>3291316
I don't see the problem. There's significantly more fun games you can play on a duo-r and that's not even including hucards.
Yeah there's a couple good Sega Cd games but it's not worth the investment.
>>
>>3292130
>Retropie lacks a simple scanline filter
>>
>>3292228
Of course not
Retropie is not an emulator...
>>
Does anyone know how to reassing controllers on the Retropie?

I hooked up my keyboard to do some configuration first and now it only recognizes that as player 1. My Xbone controller is player 2 and my PS3 controller is player 3 and they're stuck that way. I can't play anything unless I play with my keyboard.
>>
>>3292239
Neither is RetroArch...
>>
>>3292260
i usually just start it up without anything plugged in and when it asks me to press a button I plug the controller I want for 1st player in and hold down a button.
>>
Fuck Retropie. Lakka is better.

As for your display, if you're trying to get a specific output of the thing you need to stick your SD card back in your PC for a moment and modify the config.txt that shows up in the boot partition. You can modify the hdmi_group and hdmi_mode settings to force all manner of CEA/DMT output settings.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5851
>>
>>3292262
Nope. Both are just front ends.
However the emulation cores that are available do support scanlines.
>>
>>3292330
http://elinux.org/RPiconfig

Actually, here's a much better page documenting the config and a better explanation of the various modes.
>>
>What are your thoughts on it?

It's a shitty frontend that uses emulation cores taken from other parties. Said emulation cores do not work that great.

You're better off pirating VC wads since Nintendo's in-house emulators would run better.
>>
>>3292365
>shitty frontend

I find it pretty comfy sempai.

>said emulation cores do not work that great

Most games work well.

>better off pirating VC wads

VC wads do run better for some games, colors are also messed up in some games for no reason and setup isn't as easy as sending them via Samba to my Pi.
>>
>>3292380

Retropie shills on full damage control tonight.
>>
>>3292392
>can't provide a counter argument
>needs to resort to ad hominem
>>
I am loving RetroPie. Considering I'm using a Pi Zero that I got free and everything else from the controller to the micro SD card I already had, I'm able to emulate all the old school games from my youth for $0.00, I couldn't be happier. I have yet to encounter even a single problem with any of the NES, SNES, Genesis, Atari 2600, and Turbographix 16 games I have played. How can a person complain about being able to play thousands upon thousands of dollars of games totally free?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.