[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /vr/ think of Deja Vu? i never see it mentioned here,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17
File: deja vu.jpg (36 KB, 465x640) Image search: [Google]
deja vu.jpg
36 KB, 465x640
what does /vr/ think of Deja Vu?

i never see it mentioned here, but it's a great game. it got me into both point and click games and visual novels
>>
Loved it! I came from point and click C64 and also loved Shadowgate. Would of loved to have seen more of these types of games.
>>
>>3288414
I dunno, I've been meaning to get a GBC copy to go with my GBC copy of shadowgate.
>>
>>3288457
>>3288570
i've only played the NES version, but i'd recommend checking it out. hope the GBC version is as good as the NES version.

surprisingly, i haven't played Shadowgate. need to check it out
>>
DEJA VU

I'VE JUST BEEN IN THIS PLACE BEFORE
>>
I liked all three of the line, Shadowgate, Uninvited and Deja Vu. I think my only real complaint is that all of them are games that once beaten, they don't really offer anything in gameplay or otherwise, so that's why there's not much talk about them.

I don't think it could be crammed into the NES versions, but they could've used an arrange mode or something to add a second go at them, something like Zelda's second quest.
>>
>>3288584
weabo get out
>>
This weird game again, Deja Vu.
>>
>>3288647
Welcome to the graphic adventure genre.
>>
I love all three in the series.

I play through them all about once a year. Just long enough to forget the details, so that it is fun to replay.

Probably going to get the new Shadowgate remake soon
>>
>>3288768
>I play through them all about once a year. Just long enough to forget the details, so that it is fun to replay.
You must have a shitty memory.
>>
>>3288774
I know I do
>>
>>3288414
the shit part is the instant game overs for no fucking reason other then wandering to the wrong screen especially during the streets.
If it didn't have that it'd be ok
>>
>>3290353
But anon, that's half of the joy of macventures.
Dying in stupid ways.

Shadowgate has some pretty good ones like being sucked into space because you looked at the wrong mirror.
>>
>>3290587
Pretty sure you had to break the mirror for that to happen.
>>
All the Macventures are decent at any rate and I like the dry witty style of writing in the home computer ports, that was the biggest thing that got watered down in the NES versions but it's compensated by the addition of music

NES Deja Vu > Shadowgate > Uninvited for music, Uninvited overall feels like the weakest entry in a lot of ways

Was there any sort of prototype for a GBC Uninvited? Did GBC Deja Vu 1&2 have any original music or did it recycle tracks from the NES game? Why did they tone down the freaky bug-eyed dog in DJ2 that attacks you in the train station if you hit the blind guy?
>>
>>3290353
Pretty much this.
also.
>random thug wants your money
>pull the gun
>die
>continue
>thug not here
>3 screen later
>thugs wants your money
>pull the gun
>die
>repeat
Im not giving him any money
>>
>>3290851
Punch him.

You can only do it so many times though.
>>
Took me forever to find the name of this game, I remember it creeping the hell out of me when i was a kid and it wasn't until about 3 months ago I stumbled across it again.

One of those games you don't hear about often when the NES comes up.
>>
>>3290871
what creeped you out about it, man?

it's a shame that this isn't mentioned more. i know it was originally on the Mac back in the late 80s or whatever, but it's also a great NES game
>>
File: snap0001.jpg (34 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
snap0001.jpg
34 KB, 256x224
>>3290859
Thanks it helped.
Just finished it,I had to use walkthrough for the final sewers part and the two letters in the desk.
I knew I had to dump the evidence I dont need but i was to lazy to think it through.
Interestingly my real name is also Ace.
Fun game
>>
>>3288414
I don't know it yet. But I'm a huge Shadowgate fan. maybe Zojoi will do a kickstarter in the future for Deja Vu.
>>
>>3288414
Fucking shit. I thought Shadowgate was bad with its cheap deaths and stupid, arbitrary puzzles but this takes the piss.

That bit with the mugger where your choices are: die (at the hands of the mugger), die (from the death penalty because you tried to defend yourself against the mugger), or lose all your stuff.

What a crock! I stopped playing after that. Seriously how the fuck was I meant to know I was going to be ambushed with an ultimatum like that?
>>
>>3290859
>>3292039
Kek I just read this. Still though, fuck it. It's cheap and nasty like all these Kemco "adventure games". I remember having to call the Nintendo Hotline about 20 times as a kid playing through Shadowgate.
>>
>>3288414
Great atmosphere and music
Obtuse puzzles and no replayability. The evidence dump at the end was total bullshit.
>>
>>3292039
The guy with the gun you can punch three times before you're SOL. The mugger you just give the $20 bill to and he leaves you alone for the rest of the game.
>>
>>3292546
this and you get fresh $20 minutes after because story dictates so.
>>
File: Deja_Vu_JP(NES)-game_over[1].png (8 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
Deja_Vu_JP(NES)-game_over[1].png
8 KB, 256x240
There's one "death" option I'm aware of that's possible on the home computer versions but not on the NES: You can take the syringe from the hidden room in the bar and the medicines from the doctor's office and use them to kill Vickers or his mistress by lethal injection in their sleep (also works with the lady trapped in the car trunk); there's no immediate consequence for doing this but you get arrested once you go to the police station at the end regardless of whether you've already solved the puzzle with which evidence to keep or destroy

Also check out this neat skull used for the game over screen in the Japanese NES version
>>
File: Deja_Vu_2_cover[1].png (151 KB, 256x314) Image search: [Google]
Deja_Vu_2_cover[1].png
151 KB, 256x314
Any thoughts on the sequel? Had a NES port in development that got cancelled but it did end up bundled with the first game on GBC
>>
File: deja-vu[1].jpg (49 KB, 490x700) Image search: [Google]
deja-vu[1].jpg
49 KB, 490x700

i never see it mentioned here, but it's a great game. it got me into both point and click games and visual novels
>>
>>3292760
On nes you can fill whatever medicine in the capsules age give it to them,I used that to get the truth out of them but you can use the capsules to kill them.You can find a list of what every medicine does in the doctors office.
What got me stuck for a while was the inability to release the fat lady.
Like what the fuck

>>3292761
I will play it later.
Probably going to finish it today so we can talk about it.
>>
>>3292768
Sounds familiar, think I may have played it...
>>
>>3292770
>capsules and*
>>
>>3292770
You don't need to release her to finish the game, in the NES version I believe you have to at least give her the truth serum so you can get the last address you need to go to, but the computer versions let you type addresses so you can visit all of the locations out of order if you have them memorized, so you can even ignore her entirely
>>
Aren't there other point and.click type games on NES? Maniac mansion also comes to mind
>>
File: MemoryBad.png (7 KB, 297x309) Image search: [Google]
MemoryBad.png
7 KB, 297x309
>>3292768
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA
>>3292776
Somehow I got far into the game without even being able to open the trunk of the Mercedes.
Also the girl that had a surprise for me didnt show up after I had everything done to trigger her appearance,even i went few times from the outside bar screen to police station and she showed up on the 4th try.
Like what i was supposed to do but look it up online.There was no indication such even should have happened in order to progress.
also
>using gun to destroy lock to get in
>using gun to destroy lock on the safe when you have unsued combination on note 4 in inventory
wew what a load of bs
>>
>>3292792
i think shadowrun is on there too

not too many sadly
>>
>>3292761
Played it several times myself, so here's my thoughts:
More open, and a little more frenetic if you don't know what to do, or get stuck. Stogie(yes, there's a guy monitoring you called Stogie Martin) can be a little freaky in that regard. The puzzles took a bit more to figure out(I was stuck for the longest time on how to 'flip' the blackjack dealer to my side), which increases the satisfaction. The conclusion was the ultimate high, how you settle everything up and walk off into the sunset(riding off on a train with $5K in cash was even better).
>>
>>3293758
stogie is my bae
>>
File: 1461015921976.gif (504 KB, 334x252) Image search: [Google]
1461015921976.gif
504 KB, 334x252
>>3292768
nice one
>>
>>3290851
>there is literally only one enemy in the game with a draw slow enough for you to beat in a firefight

gets me to laugh every time
>>
File: Mugger.png (6 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Mugger.png
6 KB, 800x600
>>3292546
The computer versions let you punch him four times before he shoots. I like to make him work for his payday.

>You see a mugger in your way. He wants ALL of your money! It might be wise to give it to him.

>SOCKO! A quick jab to the mugger's eye stuns him. He runs down the street in a panic. You were lucky to catch him off-guard.

>The mugger blocks your way. His black eye shines as a souvenir of your last encounter. He says, "OK, Hotshot! I wouldn't try that again if I were you. You know what THIS is, don't you? It's a gun! Give me your money, now!"

>SOCKO! A swift left hook to the mugger's left eye sends him reeling back in pain. He darts away, even more stunned than before. You're taking an awful chance with this guy! He may be back with a vengeance.

>The mugger blocks your way again, this time sporting two nasty shiners. He says in a quavering voice, "I was hoping I'd bump into you again. You think you're pretty tough. Well this is a gun! You don't argue with a gun! Give me your money!"

>SOCKO! A lightning fast sock in the nose puts stars in his eyes. He stumbles for a moment and runs away again. It looks like you're dealing with a bluff artist. But I wouldn't take too many chances.

>The mugger blocks your way once again. He obviously has a broken nose. He seems rather unstable this time, saying, "That's IT, you *%@*&*%!!! Now I'm really mad! If you don't cough up now, I'm gonna plug you full of holes!"

>SOCKO! A massive uppercut to the jaw sends his teeth flying! He jumps up and down and crashes down the street in a flurry of uncontrollable movement. The man is in pain.

>The mugger blocks your way one more time. His words are barely audible as they dribble out from between swollen lips and broken teeth. He seems dazed and confused.

(I give the mugger a single quarter)

>The man takes your money and skips away saying, "Ha Ha, the gun wasn't even loaded!"
>>
>>3299202
That is the funniest thing I've read all week.
>>
>>3299215
>SOCKO
>>
File: bemused baby.png (223 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
bemused baby.png
223 KB, 360x360
>>3299215
>"ha ha the gun wasn't even loaded!"
>>
>>3289321
replayed la mulana a year after I beat it... I got stuck on pretty much all the same puzzles I did last year. getting the bombs, and getting to palenque, and using the dragon skull for 'death' since the crystal skull isn't fucked 'death' enough, AND the first time I used the dragon skull I swear to god i got hit by lightning
>>
>>3299202
If you try to offer him money (quarters or the $20) earlier than that, doesn't he accuse you of holding out on him and shoot you anyway?
>>
>>3301118
Dunno about the PC version, but on the NES you give him the money and he'll leave. But he can show back up, as happened to me twice. Both times I had to end up giving the money to the guy in the alleyway, so I didn't have the 2nd $20 bill and I couldn't do anything to leave the scene without dying.

That mugger, and the fact you can get yourself stuck without enough quarters for the taxi, and the croc in the sewers are probably the hardest parts of the game. You need cash for the mugger, and in the NES version you can encounter him after paying him off, so it makes it a bit of a rush to try and take care of everything before you use the two 20's in the game. If you fail to keep track of your quarters, you can fuck yourself completely. Not a huge issue, but I still got nailed by it once and had to restart. Last one is the croc in the sewers. Sure, you aren't promised to encounter the croc, but you can get screwed easy. The only way to deal with the croc is to shoot him. IF you've already disposed of the evidence gun, AND you haven't spent one of the $20's for the Saturday Night Special at the gun store, then you have no way of shooting it and getting away. Since you are likely to encounter the croc AFTER chucking the evidence gun, and highly unlikely to have bought a replacement gun, most of the time encountering the croc in the sewers becomes an instant game-over.

Still like it the best out of the three Macventures that got ported. Still had FAR less BS than Shadowgate or Uninvited.
>>
>>3301149
Just tried it on the Mac version, he skips away even if you just give him a quarter right away and I haven't seen him come back afterward so far

Also not sure about NES here but on Mac you can just steal a spare gun from the lady who threatens to shoot you instead of having to buy it from the gun shop
>>
File: gameboy_color_deja_vu_1and2_1..jpg (390 KB, 800x644) Image search: [Google]
gameboy_color_deja_vu_1and2_1..jpg
390 KB, 800x644
Is this version any good? It's the only one I own but I never played it.
>>
>>3301149
I took a great deal of time screwing around after paying off the armed mugger, and never saw him again. In my multiple playthroughs(which include the GBC version), I've also never encountered the croc. But as >>3301274 points out, you don't need to buy the Luger from the shop...Sugar Shack has a SNS for you in her purse when you trigger SJWs(punch her lights out) as well as an extra $20 if you're paranoid. That's confirmed on the NES version AND the GBC version.
I have not, however, tried paying off the armed mugger with quarters...next time I boot it up, I'll check that out.

>>3301419
VERY good...much better graphics all around than the NES version(duh, I know...), and the text flows a lot better too. The second game is also very enjoyable, but do be aware that you're on a timeline, and you're only allowed to go between Chicago and Las Vegas(your 'monitor' won't like you trying to skip town...).
>>
>>3301541
I thought you had to dispose of the stolen gun?
>>
>>3300849
>>3299202
So what happens when you punch him after the 3rd/4th time?
>>
File: dejavu-mac-mugger.png (11 KB, 512x342) Image search: [Google]
dejavu-mac-mugger.png
11 KB, 512x342
>>3301747
He gets tired of your shit and shoots you, there's also almost no delay between the 3rd and 4th encounters

The other mugger hiding in the alley behind Joe's Bar just jumps you immediately if you don't give him a $20 but he leaves you alone for the rest of the game afterward
>>
>>3301867
So he lied when he said the gun wasn't even loaded?
>>
>>3301568
No, you have to dispose of your .38(titled Gun 1). Sugar Shack's SNS(Gun 2) and the Luger from the shop(Gun 3) can be kept through the ending.
Yeah, I fucking exhausted everything in these games with the Look command, and got a good deal of the lore.

>>3301874
Well, if you pay him just before he shoots, he says something to the effect of "Finally!"(not sure if that's unique to the GBC version, or across all). So he MIGHT have been lying, or he might have finally scrounged up a bullet near the end because he was sick of your shit.
>>
>>3302128
Huh, I must have had some bit of evidence still in my inventory then, cause when I tried using SS's gun as a backup and keeping it, I ended up getting bad end. Made me think that only the Luger could be kept and the Cops wouldn't complain.

I'm pretty sure the mugger says that in the NES version too, since I've never played any other version and I remember that.
>>
File: uninvitedshot2.gif (7 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
uninvitedshot2.gif
7 KB, 320x200
>>3292019
I'd love to see them do a reboot of Uninvited.
>>
File: thV8AN8WZ7.jpg (15 KB, 216x300) Image search: [Google]
thV8AN8WZ7.jpg
15 KB, 216x300

>>
>>3302154
Gun 1, Handkerchief, suitcase, sunglasses, Map, IOU...pretty sure those are the only real things you need to get rid of for a full exoneration. I think the handkerchief or sunglasses usually throw people off.
>>
>>3302906
My bad...you gotta throw away:
Gun 1
Handkerchief
Lighter
Sunglasses
Map
Snapshot
File 5
Note 1

If you have any of those left, you still get fingered and sentenced to 10 years.
>>
>>3302914
I think you will need to throw the earrings too.
>>
>>3302906
Yeah, I know that, way back then I tried finishing with the SNS and one of those items, made me think the Police were up in arms about the stolen gun.

>>3302915
I believe you are correct, since I think the earrings were one of the planted items on your person. Haven't played it since I was 12 so I can't remember though.
>>
>>3288414
Can't escape
>>
>>3302915
>>3302938
I have never once seen earrings planted on me...they were in Vickers' bungalow, however. That being the case, I fail to see how they might have pertained to framing you, BUT...maybe they screw you over if you pick them up? And THEN you have to throw them away? That being the case, careful what you take, you gigantic kleptos.
>>
>>3301149
You can't get fucked for lack of quarters in the NES version. If you're out, the slot machines will always have a convenient quarter in the return slot and the cabbies will always give you a freebie back to Joe's Bar until you get more money (though you have to pay him back the missing fee the next time you drive)
>>
>>3303503
How do you get the freebie? I remember trying to leave and the cabbie wouldn't let me, he wouldn't take a $20 and give me fucking change, and pretty much anything else I did counted as assault. I'll probably never play it again, but I'm interested to know.
>>
File: raid.png (186 KB, 1157x396) Image search: [Google]
raid.png
186 KB, 1157x396
Watch out guys. Don't make any jokes. This is one thug you can't punch out of your life.
>>
>>3288414
I'm very fond of it. I actually played it for the first time back in the early 00s. That was my first phase of getting back into retro games, my dad picked up a NES at a yard sale for me(that was back in the early 00s, so he probably paid a dollar for it). I started going down to a local game shop that had a good stock of NES games and I would just pick up random games that I had never played on a whim and Deja Vu was one of them. It's crazy now that I think about it, most of their games were CIB and maybe 5 or 10 dollars. It was a different time.
>>
>>3303671
>not blacking out your ip address

hooo boy you fucked up
>>
>>3303697
>/b/ level mentality
go back

>>3303671
this shit is just getting ridiculous
>>
>>3303671
The joke had already been made twice, at this point you are just spamming.
>doesn't hide the fact he's from Kentucky
>doesn't hide the fact he's ban evading
For SHAME anon. For shame.
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 296x170) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 296x170
>>3299502
You rang?
>>
>>3303658
I just looked up a guide and apparently only the blue cabbie gives you the one freebie. The yellow one calls the cops on you. I should test it to verify though.
>>
File: here.jpg (26 KB, 1146x114) Image search: [Google]
here.jpg
26 KB, 1146x114
>>3303753
Don't care about the first one and I'm not ban evading.
>>
>>3303753
he's from Kentucky, what do you expect
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.