[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>cleaning yellow NES with some peroxide >go to clean the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>cleaning yellow NES with some peroxide
>go to clean the lid
>red decal rubs off

Fuck fuck fuck
>>
>cleaning yellow NES with some peroxide

Does this help fade away the yellowing or what?
>>
Scars are badges of honor.
>>
>>3288072
It's what retrobrite is made from but I used the generic salon 40. It works with the plastic but now I have a rubbed away decal even though they told me it would be fine
>>
>>3288078
So it does fade away the yellowing?

Would it work on a SNES
>>
>>3288068
LOL did that myself a couple of years ago
>>
>>3288089
Yes it would work
>>
>>3288068
You dun goofed anon.
>>
too late. paint it to make a custom version or something, cause u fucked it up already.
>>
>>3288072
>>3288089

The yellowing comes from a bromine additive in the plastic to make it less flammable reacting with oxygen in combination with UV radiation over time. H2O2 to an extend optically reverses the process at the cost of the plastic at the surface becoming more brittle, but since it is several mm thick that doesn't really matter.
>>
>>3288068
You're supposed to cover the labels with tape.
>>
>>3288152
>having a rectangle around the letters where it stays yellow and doesn't whiten
>>
>>3288136
Damn
>>
>>3288068

>Does it still run your shit ok?

Then shut the fuck up.
>>
I'm sorry but so? It'll still play the games just fine. I hardly think after 30 years any NES looks like it's in mint condition anymore.
>>
>>3288068
It's useless!
>>
>>3288068
Well you're retarded. I'd rub it all off and stencil a new one.
>>
>>3288267
Mine is still in its original box and factory shrink wrapped.
>>
>>3288068
>FUCK NOW IT'S WORTHLESS AND ONLY PLAYS GAMES
or
>FUCK NOW MY OCD WON'T EVER LET ME NOT GET TRIGGERED BY THIS EVERY TIME I PLAY NINTENDO

I hope you weren't expecting any sympathy here.
>>
>>3288068
I ended up doing the same thing with rubbing alcohol last year.

Bothersome that part of the system is missing, but the console as a whole looks cleaner and it still works so it's not a terribly big deal. Could always take the door from another one I have lying around anyway.
>>
if you don't care about it remaining in exactly the same condition wouldn't you simply use injection molding create a new set of plastic pieces for casing and simply replace the contents, or if not that just not even try to bleach it if you wanted it to be all legit and original.

If you concern was that it looks good why not go full hipster and get a custom decorated case instead of trying to emulate what they looked like 25 years ago

It's like you're actually trying to go back in time, and no, you can't really do that. Many things in life are irreversible.
>>
you might be able to touch it up with red paint since the letters are still there and it's not like you'd have to draw them freehand

don't worry about the faggots saying "hurr it still works", obviously if he was fucking cleaning/deyellowing it he cares about how it looks, there is more than one element to this hobby
>>
>>3288252
>>3288267
This. Who cares about cosmetic shit.

>>3288508
Hoarder scum.
>>
File: 1465823933929.png (84 KB, 436x425) Image search: [Google]
1465823933929.png
84 KB, 436x425
>>3288508
>factory shrink wrapped
>factory
>>
>>3288068
You can get a replacement for like $3 on AliExpress.
>>
>>3289367
So you're telling me that if you had a new in box nes at this point, you'd take it out and play with it just to be contrarian?
>>
>>3289420
Not him, but I would.
>>
>>3289420
i'd love to buy a mint master system or genesis still in the box and open it for the first time and play it "brand new"

but i emulate because i'm not a faggot
>>
>>3289443
>i emulate because i'm a faggot
FTFYK
>>
>>3289420
Of course you dolt. Someone has to open it eventually, that's the whole point of keeping something shrink wrapped; so some faggot down the line will pay $1000s to have a first experience.
>>
>>3288896
>>3288903
OP here. I was cleaning it because it was a sickly yellow, not because I have some compulsion about it looking brand new. I'm just upset because the lid was fine for 30 years and I fucked it up in 5 seconds.
but on the positive side, the case IS whiter than before. I put the top through two cycles, but the flap only once, and its slightly more yellow than the top.
>>
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32610616627.html?aff_click_id=46d569174a464d9aa75eb8c0f64c7437-1465825979057-02205-iMvzBqj6E&aff_platform=y#autostay
>>
>>3288212
>I don't know how to cut tape to exact shapes!
For fucks sake anon, get an exact-o knife. This isn't rocket science.
>>
>>3290481
>ive never done this in my life, take my shit advice.
Top kek kid.
>>
>>3288068
And all that for just a temporary effect. You Hipsters are all dumb as shit.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.