[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How are you celebrating?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 13
File: Quake 20th Anniversary June 22.jpg (899 KB, 1300x866) Image search: [Google]
Quake 20th Anniversary June 22.jpg
899 KB, 1300x866
How are you celebrating?
>>
File: 53423_doom.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
53423_doom.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>3287901
Playing a better fps.
>>
>>3287908
you wish hipster. more like playing an fps that aims for you.
>>
>>3287924
Have you Played Quake Mission Pack, Scourge of Armagon? You should do that before you go
>>
>>3287924
Atleast make a quake map before you shoot up your school, eric
>>
>>3287927
do you just put in the darkplaces engine with the mission packs? also, how are they?
>>
>>3287934
darkplaces engine is bad and you should not use it. use quakespasm or directquake

The Quake mission packs are quite good, not up to the level of the original maps but they were a big inspiration to a lot of other mappers. Did some interesting tricks in the quake1 engine like rotating brushes which are rarely used outside the mission packs.
>>
File: 1347674150759.jpg (40 KB, 510x384) Image search: [Google]
1347674150759.jpg
40 KB, 510x384
>>3287931
and i heard there will be a doom movie.
with the rock, no less.

there's things worth looking forward to.
>>
currently replaying it on nightmare / no quicksave, having lots of fun.

only really played through it on hard before.
>>
>>3287914
Narrows corridors and DOOM3esque darkness sure make the perfect formula for a great shooter.
>>
>>3287939
me too, never played through the whole game on nightmare. trying some new levels too like Travail

never finished my level when I was like 15...I think it's a fitting tribute for the 20th anniversary that maybe I restart one and add something to the community after all these years...
>>
>>3287942
if that's your description of quake it's apparent you haven't played it, the gameplay is far faster than doom, kinda funny way to try to describe it..quake isnt really based on "corridors" whatsoever, far more open design than doom
>>
>>3287908
Run along to your circle jerk now doom babby.
>>
>>3287943
>ending your life away at the babby age of 25
Casual af
>>
>>3287935
alright thanks, downloading them off emuparadise and using quakespasm, btw whats the difference between the 2?
>>
>>3287959
the 2 what
>>
>>3287952
Excellent reply, my friend, you have proven me wrong and now Quake's gigantic flaws are all gone.
>>
>>3287960
quakespasm and directquake
>>
>>3287971
i'm sorry but this thread is about the impending 20th anniversary of quake can you please stop trying to hijack

If you really have so many problems, I suggest you play some quake 1 single player
>>
File: tmp_8090-1463439634807402322103.png (88 KB, 1149x205) Image search: [Google]
tmp_8090-1463439634807402322103.png
88 KB, 1149x205
>>3287964
Like clockwork :^)

Quake has a skill ceiling far beyond your gameplay ability, both sp and mp.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhzXKMqZBBc
>>
>>3287976
slightly different support etc, prob just use quakespasm i would say, but make sure you change gl_texturemode 3 and r_particles 2 in the console.

blurry quake is shitty quake
>>
>>3287978
Not trying to hijack anything.
People asked I answered.
I will delete all my post now if it bothers you so much and I will be on my way.
>>
>>3287985
Don't be a casul ass bitch anon.
>>
>>3287985
I don't want you to leave, I just want you to experience levels made by Tim Willits, Sandy Petersen, John Romero, and American McGee in their prime. These guys are just legends. Quake has the best level design of any fps ever, and that's really why it should be celebrated

How can you die if you haven't completed community made mission packs such as Zerstorer and the new hotness Arcane Dimensions?
>>
>>3287979
Nice meme, a shame it doesn't make Quake's rooms as spacious as they should be, in order to have a fair fight with enemies a lot more powerful than you.
>>
File: 1413168374352 (1).gif (1 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1413168374352 (1).gif
1 MB, 250x188
>>3288003
>a shame it doesn't make Quake's rooms as spacious as they should be, in order to have a fair fight with enemies a lot more powerful than you.
>>
>>3287901
By playing duels and 2on2
>>
>>3288005
^This.
>>
>>3288003
Oh my god you suck so hard
>>
>>3288016
Show me your skill, then. Nightmare only and DirectQ or Quakespasm.
>>
File: 1232142135r32452.jpg (22 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1232142135r32452.jpg
22 KB, 500x375
>>3288005
>>
>>3288018
Not him but nightmare is easier than hard imo. Ogres are extra stupid in nightmare and that doesnt help them
>>
>>3288018
Lol I can go through each episode of quake on nightmare from start to finish without dying in my facking sleep. This shouldn't even be considered impressive. Typical doom baby shitter.
>>
>>3288065
are you serious.

they shoot their grenades like cod w@w veteran
>>
>>3288074
no they shoot their grenades way too fast and are fucking morons because you can just get them to kill themselves most of the time
>>
>>3288079
they dont take damage from their own grenades though
>>
>>3287981
Thanks bro, I was playing the whole game before in dark places. Gonna try it now with quakespasm, looks and plays different
>>
>>3288067
>Internet tough guy
Don't tell, show.
>>
>>3288092
yeah, when the quake source was released it was a really big deal, because it was a bigger game than ever to do that. So people focused so much in the early days on "improving" quake. Darkplaces is actually a pretty early source port.

Later on, especially as games got more homogeneous, people became concerned with instead preserving Quake's unique aesthetic. The original game is really unique looking in history, and most people these days prefer to play it was it was designed

Also, the vast majority of maps/etc are made for "faithful" type engines.
>>
>>3288097
I would *love* to, but my laptop is fucking kill and I'm not fixing it because years of playing retro FPS on it ended up with RSI in my WASD wrist. It doesn't matter if you don't believe me. The fact is you're a fucking jerk off that can't play FPS to save your life. Calling a game bad just because you suck at it is just about the shittiest behaviour there is family. Do you really think nobody can go through Quake on Nightmare just because you're too shitty to? I swear to god the game is fucking ez.
>>
>>3287901
I celebrate by painting in grey and brown.
>>
>>3288105
I saw some of these in person a few years ago, including some of his important ones. At the state museum in columbia south carolina no less (they get unbelievable stuff for being SC)

They're imposing as fuck in person, much larger than you would imagine.
>>
File: 1431647138420.jpg (116 KB, 668x712) Image search: [Google]
1431647138420.jpg
116 KB, 668x712
>>3288105
I just imagine some some 30 year old skinny fat /vr/ user painting a canvas full of brown and grey.
>>
>>3288104
I didn't say the game was shit because I couldn't play it nor that no one can finish it. I personally beat it on Nightmare, but through a lot of trials and errors and savegame-reloading, even numerous playthroughs.
I clearly states that the biggest flaw in Quake is the cramped design and the strength of the enemies, which isn't balanced.
You call me names, because I like DOOM more than Quake, generalizing and entire group of persons, and even after explaining my reasons, you use your strawman to defend Quake, instead of using actual argumentations or valid points. Ask yourself who's the baby here.
>>
>>3288129
>I personally beat it on Nightmare, but through a lot of trials and errors and savegame-reloading, even numerous playthroughs.
Yeah that's because you're shit.

>I clearly states that the biggest flaw in Quake is the cramped design and the strength of the enemies, which isn't balanced.
But it is balanced. Learn to use your weapons. Weapon switching in Quake is instant and you're expected to switch them up a lot more than you are in Doom given the circumstance to dominate enemies appropriately. Get some reflex, too, and utilise movement. I know you're used to using your fatass Doom shotgun for 90% of the game but Quake does not play the same way Doom does. Stop crying that it has its own gameplay philosophy. And if you can't get good, then just admit that you suck at the game instead of calling the game shit. Go run through braindead Doom E1 on HMP for the millionth time if you need that ego boost.

>You call me names, because I like DOOM more than Quake, generalizing and entire group of persons, and even after explaining my reasons, you use your strawman to defend Quake, instead of using actual argumentations or valid points.
I call you a faggot because you enter a Quake thread and immediately start memeing about Doom >>3287908 when it's a Quake thread. I call you a faggot because you call a game bad just because you're shit at it. This is exactly what the Doom babby community is on /vr/. Time and time again you faggots enter threads for other FPS's and do exactly what you've done here - whether it's Quake, Duke, Unreal, Blood, Shadow Warrior, whatever. Like clockwork you enter and bitch that the games play differently to Doom, and demonstrate that you have absolutely zero gameplay ability, and show to everybody the massive shitters you are. On top of that you're shit at Doom itself lol. You faggots can't even play Plutonia or modern community wads that aren't brain dead. Go away, fuck.
>>
>>3288185
lol this whole wall of text boils down to "git gud"
what a useless argument
>>
>>3288198
take your /b/-tier shit and engrish outta here
>>
Enemies on quake are bullet sponges though, I don't think that's up for debate.
>>
>>3288224
yes because your argument of 'its unbalanced because I suck' is far more thoughtful :^)
>>
>>3288185
You live in your little planet, where you're always right and no one can get you to face reality. You're even patetic fro 4chan standard: reflect on this.
>>
>>3288228
sorry im not the same guy dude
>>
>>3288228
He's another anon.
>>
>>3288231
Un-huh. The reality being that I can actually play a video game that's not Doom on HMP - while you clearly can't. Wew.
>>
>>3288240
That's why you don't prove it, because you can. In the meanwhile, keep saying I can't play DOOM on anything besides HMP, that proves even further how intelligent and skilled you are.
>>
>>3288250
my laptop is dead and that's the truth. I could get it fixed but I'm not going back to wrist RSI just to prove to some shitter that quake on nightmare is easy as piss. it's truly amazing to me that you need 'proof' of something that I find so utterly mundanely trivial. plenty of idiots can do it. I'm not talking about setting a speedrun record ffs.

even still, let's say for the sake of argument that I'm lying and that I can't beat quake on NM without dying. do you really think that nobody else can do it just because you can't? or that only a handful of people exist in the world that are able to accomplish such a 'spectacular' feat? get fucking real you shitter.

>In the meanwhile, keep saying I can't play DOOM on anything besides HMP, that proves even further how intelligent and skilled you are.
I've seen the gameplay 'standard' in the doom general. it's a fucking joke. I bet you think Doom on UV is a big deal. frankly anybody that doesn't find ultimate doom utterly boring in 2016 is a retard as far as I'm concerned.
>>
Quake Champions baby
>>
Nothing until Quakecon.
>>
A new quake just got announced.
>>
>>3287901
im not

im pretty pissed about the new game
>>
>>3287914
Mouselook source port, bitch.
>>
modern game companies can't be trusted to make a truly competitive multiplayer game

guarantee they will chicken out to chase casuals
>>
A nightmare run and a speedrun run to follow. Been practicing speed running it alot lately. No where near close to record runs...but having a blast doing it regardless.
>>
>>3287901
Nothing to celebreate, I shall instead mourn.
>>
>>3287908
I can see you weren't alive in 1996 when quake was released.
>>
>>3288478
>>3288491
>>3288948
>Described as a “competitive multiplayer arena shooter”, that’s literally all id had to say about it, only promising that more would be revealed at QuakeCon in August.

Man I remembered hearing that they were gonna make a true sequel to Quake 1. They might have been able to do a decent enough job there with the campaign but a good multiplayer shooter is really unlikely... indeed because they'll be making the gameplay cater to analog stick console players.

I'm kind of disappointed. Really want a true sequel to the original game.
>>
>>3287901
By playing in software mode so the choppy animations are justified.
>>
>>3288264
>If you don't agree with me, you're retarded XDDDDDDDD
Wrong board: >/R9K/
Then again, DOOM on UV isn't hard, but playing with "fast monsters" is already a lot more challenging, especially when there are hundred of enemies (while Quake rarely hit that number).
>>
>>3289050
>Really want a true sequel to the original game.

you don't. you just can't redo some things, man

the people who made the original game were deep in the angst of the 90s, you cant juist resurrect that feeling. not with new staff who are in their 20s people who grew up with cell phones on the internet. not the same people, not the same era, dont have the same feelings or the same things inside them

quake is an emotional work its like a nine inch nails album...it doesnt need to be trod on and repurposed for some new school shit

leave well enough alone
>>
Why argue about Quake vs Doom, when we could argue about how Unreal is superior to both?
>>
Can we please get a mod in here to delete everything that isn't discussing fucking Quake?
>>
>>3289473
Report and wait.
>>
>>3289296
this, and I wish the fucking doom babbies would realize this and see new doom is a good game in its own right and you dont have to be some sort of purist faggot hating on it to people who actually grew up playing doom
>>
What's the best way to play through Quake I on a modern PC? Any community patches that should be acquired?
>>
>>3289487
quakespasm, no patches needed dont listen to darkplaces shills it fucks with the physics
>>
>>3289487
>>3289529
this but also make sure to get the music and at least set the texture filter to nearest by typing "gl_texturemode gl_nearest" in the console
>>
>>3289478
Except its a mediocre game that doesn't deserve Doom's name
>>
>>3289050
>indeed because they'll be making the gameplay cater to analog stick console players.

Willits specifically mentioned PC, not a word about consoles. Also promised 120hz video rendering performance so consoles are somewhat out of the window.

I think it might be a smaller game, Carmack talked about, that would pay off with lesser PC sales.
>>
>>3289487
Just grab ProQuake, but if you want music I would not know what to recommend besides DirectQ.
>>
>>3287901
By being slightly less miserable than usual. Slightly.
>>
>>3289635
nah its fun you just cant see past some of the locked in arenas and that really rubs you the wrong way. You're a shitty doom babby elitist most of us nostalgia fags seem to like it and the ones that dont are just contrarians who raise no good points.
>>
>>3287901
Playing Quake II deathmatch on the tastyspleen servers. Pretty fun.
>>
>>3287901
mostly by ignoring the game, just like 20 years ago
>>
>>3289478
>see new doom is a good game in its own right
If it wants to be a game in its own right, it should have its own story, own protagonist, own setting, own weaponry, own name ... you get the idea. It's made to remind people of the original, that's its purpose. So it needs to stand being judged in that context
>>
>>3290771
it is good though the took some shitty parts out made the combat really well paced and the maps arent just arenas with a couple paths to choose from there are some really well hidden out of the way secrets that are actually useful. If they just remade the original doom but with new graphics it would be shit. Doom doesnt need an HD update a spinoff of the main game with the same name is fine. It lived up to dooms legacy fine the only people who dont agree are the you 20-23 year old doom babbies most nostalgiafags like myself like it, nothing will ever be better than old school doom and I think its fine they used the name to appeal to a new generation. It does have negative aspects but the single player campaign is better than doom 2 hands down
>>
>>3290805
>it is good though
My post made no statement about the quality or lack of quality of the game.

>It lived up to dooms legacy
The very fact it attempted to is pathetic

>most nostalgiafags like myself like it
So much for the new generation you're talking about. The game's straight up trying to drag in the old name. That's its problem.

>a spinoff of the main game with the same name is fine
never. It's a textbook example of IP over gameplay. A very good reason to boycott the developer and publisher

>they used the name to appeal to a new generation
they didn't. The "new generation" only makes sense if you have the original game. They were too chicken to make the game stand on its own. It's using the doom badge like a crutch, and people are pointing out how badly it's limping

>It does have negative aspects
like, abusing an old IP, because the developer is creatively corrupt

>the single player campaign is better than doom 2
It completely doesn't matter. There are many games that do things better than Doom. But they at least don't try to pretend to be associated with it.
>>
>>3290817
>associated
worse, Doom (2016) is trying to wipe out the original, by using its name, without any sequel/prequel/remake indicator. Takes some exceptional arrogance to name yourself after a legend, in order to stomp out that legend
>>
ITT: a bunch of whining autistic fucks....wait never mind. It's /vr/ after all...
>>
>>3290817
What are you trying to say, that the new Doom isn't really Doom because the dev have nothing to do with the original devs?

That's how video games have always work. You seriously can't expect "the same team" to make the sequel when the game are 20 years ago and a dev team used to be 6 people when now, all things considered, it's closer to 6 HUNDRED.

Besides, by this logic, Doom64 isn't really Doom either.

By this logic Resident Evil 2 is not Resident Evil. Silent Hill 2 is not Silent Hill. Completely different dev teams every time.
>>
>>3290817
doom 2016 is a good game and it doesnt harm the doom name

>>3290827
>trying to wipe out the original
no its not nothing will replace the original, even if search results all bring up new doom people who really want to find stuff on old doom are going to know what to search for. What a dumb argument.
>>
Which source port is the easiest to get working on Linux Mint?
>>
>>3290913
almost all of them

quakespasm is surely in the repos
>>
>>3290897
the new Doom isn't really Doom, because Doom is a shooter from 1993. The game that hijacked the name is a shooter from 2016

>Doom64 isn't really Doom either
Correct, it's Doom64. Notice the two extra digits at the end

>Resident Evil 2 is not Resident Evil. Silent Hill 2 is not Silent Hill
again, notice the extra digit appended to both of them. They are indeed communicating that they're different games

>>3290908
>doom 2016
the very fact you can't call it by its name, because it would be ambiguous, is all I need to know

>search results all bring up new doom
I see you've found the problem

>people who really want to find stuff on old doom are going to know what to search for
It's sad though you don't understand the problem. Your reasoning there is that Doom is wiping out Doom, but it's ok, because it's not.
>>
File: qllauncher-quake-live.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
qllauncher-quake-live.png
2 MB, 1600x900
>>3287901
Waiting to be ported to Linux.
>>
>>3287901
Does anyone still play Quake multiplayer?

Never played Quake. Saw multiplayer gameplay and fell in love.

Can anyone help a Quake newfag out?
>>
>>3291480
take this shit out of our quake thread asshole. go meme in the circle jerk, I'm sure plenty of doom cucks will suck you off there.
>>
>>3291606
>Does anyone still play Quake multiplayer?
no, unfortunately

just find a friend to LAN with
>>
>>3291606
>>3291729
There are still servers with people playing. I played last month, I used to be good but people who are still playing are mostly total nutters. Or maybe not and I'm just too old.
>>
>>3291772
>people who are still playing are mostly total nutters
in what sense? you mean theyre assholes or they're just crazy good?
>>
>>3291789
as in have not turned off the PC since 1996

are you American?
>>
>>3291480
its not wiping out doom the only reason you think it might be is because you are a fucking idiot. Fuck you doom babbies are fucking stupid
>>
Is Qtracker shit or is nobody playing Q1 online without some sort of physical or virtual LAN?
>>
>>3292132
just find the IP and connect, it's not rocket science
http://quakeone.com/servers/
you just have to live in the right timezone :P
>>
>>3290604
I really don't care about Doom I just think it doesn't touch the original
>>
>>3292376
nothing ever will though, I really don't care about the name they used because I am not autistic
>>
File: cpma.jpg (24 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cpma.jpg
24 KB, 1280x720
this shit right here, is my shit.
>>
>>3287901
>being excited for a literal fucking MOBA
OP plz, shits disgusting.
>>
>>3292386
Me neither, like I said it's mediocre by itself
>>
>>3292483
it's not though its the best fps game in the past 15 years
>>
File: Quake 2.jpg (12 KB, 320x257) Image search: [Google]
Quake 2.jpg
12 KB, 320x257
What went wrong with this game's singleplayer? Are the mission packs any better?
>>
>>3292542
It was a little ahead of it's time in a bad way. It was trying to include narrative in the game play before half life showed how to do that properly. Hell, it was even trying to tap into the growing fascination of WW2 before call of duty and medal of honor. But it was stuck in a sort of mindset that doom and quake had established that simply wasn't about these things.
>>
What about a quakeworld /vr/ server for shitters on the big day to celebrate? Anyone except myself that'd be up for it?
>>
>>3292542
>What went wrong with this game's singleplayer?

Same thing that went wrong with the multiplayer - the weapons are shit.
>>
>>3288003
cant tell if bait
>>
>>3289050
specifically said the game was pc exclusive
>>
>>3291606
every saturday mericans group for freeforall
every sunday mericans group for team fortress
any other day is a duelfest but generally more players will come online after work so 6-10pm cst
>>
File: MAP01.png (35 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
MAP01.png
35 KB, 1024x768
Playing the best map.

https://youtu.be/-XhsuJLA3ko
>>
>>3292542
>what went wrong with this game's singleplayer
shitty weapons
shitty enemies
every level looks the same
COMPUTER UPDATED
>>
so why is there hate for darkplaces again? i quite like the juicy blood effects in comparison to the vanilla ones.
>>
Question: Is this Quake somehow related to Bethesda?
If so, it's going to be shit.
>>
File: 1339355434022.gif (564 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1339355434022.gif
564 KB, 200x200
>>3292634
>>3293079
>Q2
>shitty weapons
>>
>>3293615
so you like spring loaded rocket launchers

okay
>>
>>3293736
whoops, meant to say grenade launchers but the rocket launcher is equally bad
>>
>>3287908
>not playing them both
Pleb
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.