[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Cool, lesser-known Famicom games that weren't released
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 12
ITT: Cool, lesser-known Famicom games that weren't released in the US.

Astro Fang is a great driving game that controls similar to Rad Racer, but you can fire missiles and transform into a faster car, at the expense of some handling. There are branching paths, and a shop where you can buy new weapons, like wheel spikes.
>>
Can confirm. pretty comfy game. Played this game on an emulator only because the name sounded cool.
>>
>>3286573
Actually looks pretty cool.
>>
There exists a weird Monopoly-esque game themed after Mega Man characters. Only in Japan
>>
File: mitsu.jpg (40 KB, 600x413) Image search: [Google]
mitsu.jpg
40 KB, 600x413
Shoot cum from your third eye and use your lance as a boomerang and even stand on it while it's flying to perform higher jumps. Upgrade your shit shops, challenging enemies and booses, good graphics and memorable music.

This one actually came out as a bootleg in some countries as "3 eye kid".
>>
Akumajou Special - Boku Dracula-kun is fuckin amazing
>>
>>3286573
Cocoron
Dragon Scroll
Esper Dream 2
Kyatto Ninden Teyandee
Magical * Taruruuto-kun: Fantastic World!!
Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu
Radia Senki
Recca
Takahashi Meijin no Bouken Jima IV
Uchuu Keibitai SDF

All have English versions or no language barrier.
>>
>>3286573
(around 2:38 and 3:12)
https://youtu.be/paJybgiOKyM?t=158
https://youtu.be/K0uLrXDfxq4?t=192
there are parts of the level where you can choose one of the routes but the emulator can't draw the roads without the flickering effect
>>
>>3289179
Now that's what I call paradise.
>>
Just got into famicom earlier this year, it's very quickly become my absolute favorite console to collect games for. I wouldn't have said NES has my favorite library a year ago but once you include the famicom library it's hard not to.

>moai kun
>thexder
>super arabian
>banana prince
>don doko don 1 & 2
>armadillo
>splatterhouse wanpaku grafitti
>ninja jajamaru series
>cross fire
>gradius 2
>karateka
>twinbee 3
>seikima 2
>dragon buster
>spelunker 2
>yume penguin monogatari
>getsufuu maden
>ultraman club
>power blazer
>astro robo sasa
>lupin the third
>wing of madoola
>cosmic epsilon
>daiku no gen san
>space hunter
>layla
>bio warrior dan
>esper bouken tai
>devil world
>son son
>challenger
>knightmare 2: maze of galios
>chuka taisen
>JJ tobidase daisakusen

I believe those were all famicom exclusive, other than the ones that are arcade ports. For real though, get into famicom now while it's still dirt cheap.
>>
File: yanchamaru3d.png (3 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
yanchamaru3d.png
3 KB, 256x224
Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 3
>>
>>3292201

that's a complete rip-off of Super Mario 14
>>
File: Super Mario 14_Mar29 15_02_36.png (3 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario 14_Mar29 15_02_36.png
3 KB, 256x224
>>3292231

I know, that's how I originally played it

gameplay-wise it's more like megaman meets ninja gaiden, of sorts, but I guess the level design is kinda mario-ish.
>>
Surprised sweet home hasn't been mentioned, great horror jrpg by capcom. Not only is it a licensed game but the game served as a huge inspiration in the creation of resident evil.

>>3289181
Great game as well, really enjoyed it. Interestingly this character later appeared as the main antagonist of another tezuka game, astro boy omega factor.
>>
File: 1462485410207.png (103 KB, 396x232) Image search: [Google]
1462485410207.png
103 KB, 396x232
Is it just me or is it harder to find Famicom games in the states in shops or cons, I usually just run into Super Famicom games never just a famicom game unless on the rare occasion you find a mario or a game based on Animu :\

oh well ebay is my only friend it seems
>>
File: file.png (231 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
file.png
231 KB, 1024x768
>ctrl+F
>over h
>0 results

You disappoint me, /vr/. Over Horizon was released in Japan and Europe, but not the US. I don't understand how some games were more fit to be released in the EU, where the console was outright irrelevant, but not the USA, where the console dominated. Anyway, it's a sideway scroller with some nice graphics and music, and it manages to out-Freud Gradius in Freudian symbolism. You could argue that you were trying to inseminate the Big Cores with your light blue lasers, in Over Horizon you literally fight a giant uterus.
>>
File: pentarou.jpg (137 KB, 1036x988) Image search: [Google]
pentarou.jpg
137 KB, 1036x988
>>3286573
>>
>>3292778
>tfw local mom and pop shop regularly has famicom games and sells them mad cheap

Feels good to live on the west coast
>>
>>3289179

is it playable for non Japanese speakers?
>>
>>3292919
There's a translation for it.

If you want to play it on real hardware and don't want to shell out for a flash cart, this multicart has the translated version on it.
>>
>>3292946

thanks, anon. I looked up the game list on that 150 multicart and it seems like a pretty damn good set. Good for rounding out my collection's missing "worth playing, but not worth that much" games. Might get it later.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 650x497) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 650x497
>>3292871
Boo Texas!!! Lol
>>
>>3293962
Buying famicom games online isn't bad, really. Its not hard to find sellers who have tons of cheap games and are willing to combine shipping. There's a whole mess of great famicom exclusives that we didn't get in the west, plus a bunch of famicom versions of popular NES games are way cheaper than their western releases. Being able to play both is the best though, there's actually a fair number of games where the NES release is much more affordable than the famicom version.
>>
That one Japanese splatter house game is awesome. Should have come to the US
>>
>>3286573
aw man. we need more night based driving games. Especially in the city or in space.
>>
TetraStar
>>
>>3286573
Is that a vaporwave album cover?
>>
>>3290960
I dunno, a megaman monopoly game is a kinda neat idea, I wouldn't say it's like paradise.
>>
File: beltscroll - holiday.jpg (635 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
beltscroll - holiday.jpg
635 KB, 1200x1200
>>3300415
No, this is.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.