[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In-depth level design discussion thread: Sonic 3 Edition.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: levdes2-1a.png (480 KB, 1246x794) Image search: [Google]
levdes2-1a.png
480 KB, 1246x794
All right gentlemen, it's time for another one of these. Today we are going to be looking at the fastest game alive, Sonic 3. So set your autism dials to "turbo" and without further ado let's discuss this fucking image.

What I like about the top path is that it's more or less hidden, yet observant players are sure to catch a glimpse of it sooner or later. If players hold right as soon as the level begins, they won't be able to land on the upper route but they will get close enough to it to see that it is there. If a player doesn't happen to hold right their first time falling into HCZ, and doesn't discover the upper path, at the very least they will likely find that taking the lower route is, in fact, the quickest way to get started with progressing through the level. That means that on subsequent playthroughs there is a chance they will automatically hold right in an effort to reach the lower path. And that's when they would stumble upon a clue -- the sight of the upper route -- that suggests there's more to this starting area than they might have previously suspected. In short, all of it is fucking genius; it's brilliant; it's awesome; it's literally a work of art, level design-art. And that's really the essence of what defines video game art, isn't it? The true artistic merit of all video games lies not in their aesthetics -- materials on the surface like graphics, characters, or sound -- but in their fundamental game design. The behind-the-scenes aspects that all work and come together to create a system facilitating actual gameplay itself. That's something no other art form can emulate; that's what makes video game art work unique. And I feel that the top route in the beginning of HCZ1 captures that sentiment, and exemplifies it, to a tee.

Oh, and just to be on the safe side:
>in before, "TLDR LOL"
>in before autism memes
>in before zero (you)'s for (me)
>>
i wish i could go back in time and play it for the first time again

also you have severe autism
>>
It's just an alternate path for Tails and Knucles, I don't think it's even supposed to be hidden and on that aspect you're reading too much into it, it's just far enough not to be accessible for Sonic but close enough so players notice it so when they play the game with the other characters they'll know it's there.

The fact that there are different routes depending on the character is definitely cool though; although a great level design would have every area be fun for every character but with enough possibilities that the same area would play differently depending on your character.
>>
>Oh, and just to be on the safe side

I haven't played this game, so i can't talk about it. Still, i feel these threads would be more enjoyable if they were about the game in general, and not a single level.

And also autism.
>>
>>3285227
Good level design is extremely subtle.
>>
>>3285149
>saying it like in before
"TLDR LOL"
>>
>>3285149
Reaching the top path is a relatively slow process. Whether climbing or gliding with Knuckles or flying with Tails, the task of getting up there doesn't match the excitement of simply taking the default, bottom route. I think it's good, and I think it's deliberate, that the game rewards the patience required to get there with speed. Just look at all those slopes, loops, and springs -- these things work wonders for the sense of pacing of both the level itself and the game as a whole. I like that we see here the first instance of the spinning treadmill gimmick. I feel like its placement here sets the tone of what comes next, kicking off this speedy segment of the level at an appropriately fast pace.
>>
File: don_t_panic.png (827 KB, 2224x1590) Image search: [Google]
don_t_panic.png
827 KB, 2224x1590
>>3285201
>tfw I still have as much fun with it as the first when I'm in the mood for a playthrough
>>
>>3286887
Sonic 3 has only gotten better and better with age for me.
>>
>>3286887
Ya but the sense of discovery is gone, man.
>>
File: Airborne-Artillery.png (775 KB, 1642x1640) Image search: [Google]
Airborne-Artillery.png
775 KB, 1642x1640
>>3286894
Next to all the turds with no fun and no replayability Sega is shitting up?

My respect for it is only growing.

Based COMPLETE.

>>3286897
Minor aspect, especially for a game, Sega nailed the core : fun. Look at modern Nintendo, nothing but discovery/surprise value, their games are glorified toilet paper now.
>>
>>3286908
Wow I hadn't seen that one before, it's pretty good. Thanks
>>
>>3286908
The characters should be switched in that image though, honestly. As is, it doesn't really make sense. Sonic can go fast so he wouldn't be worried about some missiles chasing him, and Knuckles can glide so he need not bother with monkey bars. Still cool though.
>>
File: the_cryptic_gem.png (126 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
the_cryptic_gem.png
126 KB, 1200x1200
>>3286927
Here's another one.
>>
File: retro_forever.png (118 KB, 900x1189) Image search: [Google]
retro_forever.png
118 KB, 900x1189
>>3286936
>>
> actually good contribution
>> HURR DURR AUTISTIC
You do have deep purpose search syndrome tho.
>>
>>3287231
Is that a real thing?
>>
>>3287238
Oh yeah. A lot of literature teachers have it. It's one of them autism symptoms.
>>
File: sk-fbz-point9img2.png (5 KB, 192x224) Image search: [Google]
sk-fbz-point9img2.png
5 KB, 192x224
Flying Battery 2 has an awesome hidden path where you get to go over three of these ball things in a row. It's fast as fuck.
>>
>>3287287
Aw man look at all that holding right to win. How exciting.
>>
>>3286897
this is what i meant. seeing all the art and new character knuckles, new boss fights all over again would be mind blowing.
>>
>>3287295
that's funny because FBZ is like one of the least hold-right-to-win
>>
>>3287295
>complains about holding right to win
>complains when being hit by an enemy after holding right all the time

reminder that being anti-sonic is a mental desease
>>
File: seriouslywtf.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
seriouslywtf.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>>3287295
Come on now, anon.
>>
>>3287287
IIRC the part you're describing is, in fact, the single fastest moment in the entire game.

>>3287295
That's like looking at a racing game and saying, "hold accelerate to win."
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.