[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to show my friend some good retro games. He pretty much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 2000px-StartingMsdos2.jpg (48 KB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
2000px-StartingMsdos2.jpg
48 KB, 2000x1125
I want to show my friend some good retro games. He pretty much solely plays on PC. I know you can emulate other systems, but he prefers PC gaming (thinks consoles are pointless, but I won't get into that). The plan is to set up a .zip file with a portable dosbox installation and a bunch of games within, with shortcuts in the main folder, then tell him "extract this to C:\Games, then move the shortcuts to wherever you keep your game shortcuts."

Normally I'd just send him all the shit I have, but he couldn't even get into Fallout 1 because he didn't like the interface, so I need to be selective.

So far, I'm thinking...
>Betrayal at Krondor
>Ultima VII
>Full Throttle
>Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
>Exile: Escape from the Pit

What else you got, /vr/?

Thank you.
>>
>>3285043
>thinks consoles are pointless,
> The plan is to set up a .zip file with a portable dosbox installation and a bunch of games within, with shortcuts in the main folder, then tell him "extract this to C:\Games, then move the shortcuts to wherever you keep your game shortcuts."

Hang about, he's a 'PC MASTER RACE' goon and he can't use the command line? No, you give him the games and tell him to figure out the DOS command line like a real PC user would. If he can't figure that how to change directories and run games from their dirs then tell him maybe he should consider something more simple. Like a CONSOLE.
>>
>>3285043
>because he didn't like the interface
He is already spoiled by modern games. Don't bother, he doesn't really care.
He will just spout "oh those graphics look like shit, all these games must be total shit back then. So good the games are better now."
>>
>>3286828
Or instead of wasting your time typing shit into dosbox like a fucking inefficient moron, just drag the game exes into the dosbox exe
>>
>>3287227
>Needs a gui
I bet your games run at 3000 cycles too
>>
>>3287227
That's literally more steps. You need to have two windows open for that, and navigate to the appropriate directory in both.
DOS command-line is literally:
cd \game
game
>>
File: win3xO.jpg (567 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
win3xO.jpg
567 KB, 1920x1040
>>3285043
eXoDOS is pretty nifty, as is Win3xO. Nice frontend.
>>
>>3289302
Its hard to get though AFAIK only available here:

http://www.pleasuredome.org.uk
>>
>>3285043
X-COM UFO would be an obvious one. I'd add Megarace too just to capture the FMV days and have some variety in gameplay. Master of Magic is a great one for showing people the light of retro gaming in my experience
>>
>>3287227
You have to use the cmd to install certain games.
>>
File: cake.png (2 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
cake.png
2 KB, 640x400
>>3289073
Yeah really, how can people on a retro games board be this allergic to the command line? It takes like two seconds to type this:
>>
I'd throw in Eye of the Beholder II, Dune II and maybe Ultima III with the upgrade patch (http://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Ultima_III_Upgrade_Patch)

Although Ultima III has some retarded controls, and maps every form of interaction to its own exclusive key. You have only moments to recall which key corresponds to which spells in battle before your character automatically forfeit their turns.
>>
>>3285043
Amiga games are often pretty easy to get into, controls wise, and are all PC games. I say see if he's into any Amiga games first.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.