[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/rhg/ Retro Handheld General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65
File: rhg.jpg (99 KB, 571x460) Image search: [Google]
rhg.jpg
99 KB, 571x460
Rather than just creating a new /gg/ Gameboy General thread, this thread is trying something a little different. Feel free to discuss vintage handheld consoles in general, including the Nintendo Gameboy family, Sega Game Gear, Atari Lynx, WonderSwan, Neo Geo Pocket, etc.

Some discussion of "portablized" systems like the Sega Nomad and Turbo Express is acceptable, but should be focused on the hardware itself rather than the games, since they are portable versions of home consoles which have their own threads.
>>
>>3282212
OP here. I'm fine with it. Just ignore the shitposters.
>>
>>3282214
wats that thing under the gba?
>>
>>3282352
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboExpress
>>
File: game gear haul.jpg (131 KB, 500x843) Image search: [Google]
game gear haul.jpg
131 KB, 500x843
I've been trying to get back into GG lately. I replaced the caps on my childhood GG but it has irreparable screen rot, so I'm going to eventually use it for a McWill replacement LCD mod. In the meantime I've picked up a Majesco Game Gear that seems to work just fine aside from a few scuffs. I ordered some glass replacement lenses, but I'm going to try and just buff out the scratches on the Majesco lens is pretty distinct and I don't want to mess with it too much. I also might put an LED backlight panel mod in it.

The problem is that I hardly bought any GG games as a kid. I bought the thing for $30 at Funcoland and I literally only have 3 games for it. I got paid today so I ordered Shinobi, Ax Battler, and Halley Wars. Good haul?
>>
>>3282352
It was kind of cool, to play TurboExpress games on the go. I guess it was a bit like the later Sega Nomad, but not quite the battery hog
>>
>>3282435
Could never get the tv tuner to work on mine back in the day
>>
>>3282421

Looks good to me. If you can, get ahold of the port of Ristar to GG, it's excellent and hard to believe it's running on a game gear
>>
I still don't know why Sega never released a slim version of the Game Gear to compete with the Gameboy Pocket and Gameboy Color. They could even have added an FM sound chip for new games to take advantage of.

And this is going deep into fan-wank territory, but I think that if Sega had stayed in the portable business, they could have eventually made a new Game Gear that was based off of the Genesis architecture, but with a higher color count so as to be backward compatible with the original Game Gear. It could even have had a goofy adapter like the Master Gear to basically turn it into a Nomad. If they'd released something like that around the time of the Gameboy Advance it could have been a viable contender, but instead the most we got was the Majesco version of the Game Gear. It was a solid revision over the original, but it was just as bulky and battery hungry, and was too little too late.
>>
>>3282467
Fuck that the final boss is nigh impossible on the Game Gear version, they fucked it up so hard, he makes a black whole that sucks you if you're too close, which is like half the screen, and because of the shitty resolution that means you're more than guaranteed to be past it. And you're meant to prevent getting sucked in by holding onto enemies but AGAIN because of the reduced resolution when a second one spawns it falls it eventually runs into, making you drop the first one and getting sucked up it's fucking goddamn bullshit did the faggots even test this shit even just remembering it is making me rage right now FUCK.
>>
Aside from the screen being dogshit, was there any cool games on the Lynx?
>>
>>3282684
There's a lot of arcade conversions, I think. I haven't looked into it myself as of yet, though. It's supposed to be more powerful than the Game Gear.
>>
how come 90% of the game boys you see for sale on amazon do not have the battery cover? do them assholes take the battery covers off and sell it as a "replacement battery cover" for like 5 bucks separately?
>>
File: 20160522_153330.jpg (311 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160522_153330.jpg
311 KB, 2560x1440
>>3282207
Anybody else think mario land trilogy is about on par with mario bros trilogy. I used to think gb was unplayable garbage but its brettt gud
>>
>>3283023
It's probably just negligence.
Otherwise you'd see the lids for sale too.
>>
Would it be worth modding a classic Gameboy with a lit screen and a phone battery?

Or would it be better to just move straight to a Gameboy Color for the increased compatibility?
>>
>>3283234
>Would it be worth modding a classic Gameboy with a lit screen and a phone battery?
no

Or would it be better to just move straight to a Gameboy Color for the increased compatibility?
in your case, no
>>
>>3283260
get an SP or mod a GBA with an LED screen noob
>>
File: 1465334100288.jpg (37 KB, 350x383) Image search: [Google]
1465334100288.jpg
37 KB, 350x383
>>3283212
>multiple 3rd gen home console ports and remakes
>multiple 4th gen home console ports and remakes
>multiple classic arcade ports and remakes
>can play all Gameboy and Gameboy Color games
>can be used to emulate a vast array of previously mentioned items which weren't officially ported
There, now fuck off.
>>
>>3283272
fuck off, shithead
>>
>>3283072
I really don't care that much for Mario Land 1. It feels like an inferior, scaled down version of the original SMB. Mario Land 2 and Wario Land are some GOAT tier Mario games, though.
>>
>>3283284
interesting to see that one being reported and deleted. Better be for the last statement on the post, because the rest was honest opinion
>>
File: 20160529_013850.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160529_013850.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>3283234
I think a phone battery is unnecessary. The backlight and bivert mod is excellent though and I highly recommend it.
>>
File: gameboycolor.png (575 KB, 1000x707) Image search: [Google]
gameboycolor.png
575 KB, 1000x707
So what's you favorite Gameboy Color game?

Hardmode: No Zelda, Pokémon or Wario
>>
>>3282435
The Turbo Express was as big a battery hog as the Nomad, from what I understand. They were both exactly the same hardware as their home counterparts from what I understand, and they both used a shitty fluorescent tube for illumination which was an even bigger drain on the batteries than the console itself.
>>
File: 1464484420833.png (229 KB, 515x410) Image search: [Google]
1464484420833.png
229 KB, 515x410
>>3283351
>dat sexy radioactive green glow
I like it. How does the lightmod affect the contrast?
>>
>>3283361
It did, huh? My friends one would always seem to have a shorter battery life, maybe we just imagined it.
>>
>>3283362
If you install a bivert chip, the contrast is an order of magnitude better than the stock screen.
>>
Not retro, but I've been enjoying some DS games on my 3DS. Mario Kart is super fun, especially that Waluigi pinball track.
>>
File: rudy.png (47 KB, 639x671) Image search: [Google]
rudy.png
47 KB, 639x671
>>3283352
>No Wario
Umm... uhhh..... shit...
>>
File: daikatana.png (2 MB, 1370x1370) Image search: [Google]
daikatana.png
2 MB, 1370x1370
>>3283352
Actually a good game, unlike its FPS counterpart.
>>
>>3283526
I heard it was pretty good, in part because it had almost nothing to do with the PC/N64 game.
>>
>>3283352
Duke Nukem, which you'd think would have no right to be as good as it is, likely being put to production to milk the success of Duke Nukem 3D, but it's basically a rethread of the original sidescrollers, and this I mean in the nicest of ways, if you liked those games, this is basically that, but handheld (and cartoony).

It's done this way competently, it's not so much of a port as it's a remake, sound and graphics are rather nice.
>>
>>3283072

Mario Land 1 & 2 were 'good' for their time, but they don't hold up.

WL 1 & 2 are fucking epic. Haven't really got into three yet.
>>
File: duke-nukem-usa.png (76 KB, 320x288) Image search: [Google]
duke-nukem-usa.png
76 KB, 320x288
>>3283861
I loved the original 2D Duke Nukem DOS games when I was a kid. I should check the GBC version out.

There was also a Commander Keen game for the GBC but I don't remember hearing anything particularly great alt it. And there's a Tomb Raider game that as I recall is a pretty competent Prince of Persia clone.
>>
>>3284329
ML2 has some minor slowdown issues but it holds up pretty well. It's a more exploration based 2D Mario game, which makes it pretty unique.
>>
>>3284494
>And there's a Tomb Raider game that as I recall is a pretty competent Prince of Persia clone.
Tomb Raider is already a pretty competent PoP clone, so it makes sense
>>
File: 747383-198274_27981_front.jpg (65 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
747383-198274_27981_front.jpg
65 KB, 640x640
I remember liking Perfect Dark for Gameboy Color when I first bought it, but damn if the the mandatory training mission isn't the longest, dullest thing in the whole game.

Tech-wise it's really impressive for 8-bit. The graphics are pretty good and it's got lots of voice acting. Metal Gear Solid is definitely a much better game though, even with its simpler graphics and monotone beeps instead of voices. PD is kind of like MGS with better tech and more dumbed down gameplay and story. It's still cheap enough that I'd say it's worth picking up, though.
>>
>>3284572
>Tech-wise it's really impressive
how so?
>>
>>3284584
It has big rendered sprites with lots of smooth animations, as well as sampled sound / voices.

Unfortunately there's no in-game music, which always annoyed me.
>>
>>3284584
There's voice acting for every cutscene, and most non cutscene dialog.
>>
>>3285409
anybody happen to know if it uses the PCM channel or audio-in?
>>
>>3285421
I don't know.
I think it used the built in PCM channel.
>>
>>3285423
so at that point it's just a question of whether they compressed the data or not, and if, how well they compressed it
>>
>>3285425
Oh yeah, it's really compressed and tinny.

They still had to add a lot of extra ROM space and make a mapper which could utilize it.

Graphics wise, the animation is silky smooth though.
>>
>>3285434
>it's really compressed and tinny
that's a limitation of the PCM channel. I meant data compression, instead of keeping the uncompressed PCM samples
>>
File: 1449759274177.jpg (70 KB, 599x595) Image search: [Google]
1449759274177.jpg
70 KB, 599x595
I really liked True Lies on the SNES and Genesis, is it any good on the Gameboy or Game Gear?
>>
File: 1459108802483.jpg (26 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1459108802483.jpg
26 KB, 321x322
>>3285798
>>
>>3285798
The portable versions of True Lies are very different from the 16-bit console versions. They have a top-down perspective similar to Hotline Miami.
>>
>>3285824
You should give them a go, both versions are really very much the same, with just some color and sound differences, the Sega one has a few more cheat codes, obviously, you'll want to use the 6B pad when playing on the Genesis, since the controls are actually relatively complex.

It's probably the best movie license videogame until Goldeneye 64 (and probably the best game LJN ever published), because it paid more attention to the gameplay than thoroughly following the movie, though it's pretty hard.

>>3285851
Can you still roll and aim your Uzi? I figure the controls are probably very different due to not having as many buttons.
>>
bump for handhelds
>>
I have a GBA and I have only few games from 10 ten years ago. Recently I started to play my Fired Red and Crash again but I want moar games.So I looked on ebay but there is only original new ones for collectors and they are expensive.

Do you recommend buying one of those microSD cartridges for GBA?

Are they easy to use?
Worth money?
If you have one where did you buy it ?

If you don't recommend where do you get your games ?
>>
>>3287490
wow
Calm down edge kid
If you can count then you will get it that GBA is retro
>>
i bought some DS speakers to replace with my buzzy curent GBC speakers. they should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes
>>
>>3287504
So helpful.

Is it so bad to try and mod something for better performance, like backlights on the original gameboy?
>>
>>3287490
>>3287504
Monsieur samefag
Please GTFO
>>
>>3287504
>you can only replace retro players with retro parts!
>no chips made after 1999 allowed!
stay mad
>>
>>3287513
yes, it is. In particular the light mods piss me off quite badly, because it's openly rejecting and insulting the hardware. It's people saying "this shit sucks, I'll just break it instead of appreciating it for what it is". It's one of the many many reasons I loathe the attempts of sneaking the GBA and DS into these threads. They bring an attitude of players with them that expect handhelds to be played at home and in the dark, that is so completely contrary to what these handhelds were made for.

>>3287515
You're a smart one
>>
>>3287527
>portables are meant to be played in the sun with headphones only, any modifications rustle my jimmies and ruin the "purity"

surprise but there's more than one way to enjoy a handheld.
>>
>>3287527
> light mods piss ME off
>openly rejecting and insulting the hardware
Wow, Monsieur calm down, people can like OTHER things than you. When you will grown up you will get that
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
>>3287527
>They bring an attitude of players with them that expect handhelds to be played at home and in the dark, that is so completely contrary to what these handhelds were made for.
>>
>>3287540
Damn, I need to get one from suruga-a. It is really damn cheap for 400 yen... (4$?)
>>
>>3287535
>there's more than one way to enjoy a handheld
when you mod it, you're not enjoying that handheld. You're enjoying a frankensteined abomination that you think this handheld should be

>>3287540
good point, you don't need to mod them, because if you insist to play them in the living room at dark, the hardware for that exists already
>>
>>3287513
Mate, it's just a gameboy, not a religious relic. You need some perspective.
>>
File: nyko3.png (265 KB, 760x466) Image search: [Google]
nyko3.png
265 KB, 760x466
>>3287543
>when you mod it, you're not enjoying that handheld. You're enjoying a frankensteined abomination that you think this handheld should be
Theres reason why light accessories were popular and why everyone had them, like one in pic.
>>
>>3287543
>when you mill a coffe nuts you are not enjoing a coffe, you are enjoing a frankensteined abomination of coffe
>>
>>3287551
And that is true bro, sometimes things don't have parts they need so you can ADD THEM later, like in PC/car/house etc.
You are a good guy and stay that way
>>
>>3287551
they're not modding. I own one myself, and used it occasionally. It's useful
>>
So now come back to topic.

What do you guys think about Wonderswan? I can get sets of 2-3 for 600-800 yen, Wonderswan color for 700-900 yen. Games in sets of 6-8 for 400-1200 yen
All at yahoo.auctions.jp
And that DAMN sweet brightness scroll on those handhelds. Only problem is that a power button in WS Color is a piece of shit that breaks often
>>
>>3287527

>light mods piss me off quite badly because it's openly rejecting and insulting the hardware

>handhelds to be played at home and in the dark

>contrary to what these handhelds were made for

what kind of reason is that. are games only meant to be played at daylight ? It's very hard to follow your thoughts. How did you even relate handheld playability and playing in dark , two seperate things ?
>>
>>3287565
The wonderswan has some great games, but I don't think it's worth the price of admission if you don't read Japanese. Mr Driller is really great on it though, and the digimon games are really cool if you grew up with the virtual pet.
>>
>>3287570
>are games only meant to be played at daylight ?
handheld games in the mid 90s? Yes, very much so. They were an alternative when the NES/SNES was not around, because you were outside
>>
>>3287572
It isn't possible to be outside in the dark?
>>
>>3287572

so it means we shouldn't have invented backlight in the first place because back then technology was bad and we couldn't do it properly.

according to your philosophy we should get rid off all the electricity beacuse humans meant to sleep after sunset or we should bury our food deep down the earth to keep them cold beacuse that's how it worked when we were first doing things
>>
>>3287584
for kids? To play video games? In the dark you were much likely at home, or in the cinema/arcade, or at friends. And if all else fails, you got a wormlight. It was the exception, not the design goal
>>
>>3287589
backlighting for outdoor displays is indeed completely retarded. The better your display is illuminated the more power you need to spend to fight against that illumination; on a system with limited energy reserves.

The rest of your post is a helpless straw man, as it's completely misunderstanding the concept of design goals
>>
>>3287591
Or in a car? Bus? Train? The fact there were a selection of lights available suggests it was a fairly common problem. And modding your console is a fine way to deal with the problem, it might not be one you like, which is fine, but i don;t see why you are so desperate to rationalise your personal dislike as something objectively wrong.
>>
>>3287595
>Or in a car? Bus? Train?
yeah, GBC works pretty well in these situations. My DS doesn't. Max brightness and it's still annoyingly difficult to see shit

>The fact there were a selection of lights available suggests it was a fairly common problem
Disagreed. It tells me that there was a desire to expand on the usecases it was designed for. Fair enough, I use a wormlight myself as booster in some situations.

>modding your console is a fine way to deal with the problem
I disagree that it is one, and I do consider the modding a fundamental change of the hardware.

>i don;t see why
that's ok
>>
>>3287592

you know there is no backlit in first GBA, but you attacked it for having backlit also there is a button on SP that you can use to close backlighting option to prevent extra battery usage.

You are the one attacking things for stupid reasons rather than being helpful.

Also it goes for a long time even if you have backlight open. Plus you may want to play it at camp, long roads where you travel at night, or even at your bed after lights off. I can'T see what is retarted here.
>>
>>3287612
> GBA/DS stuff extremely damaging to the handheld threads
Das ist stuff that saved the Handhelds
>>
>>3287612
>>hates gba/ds
GBA/DS are the greatest handhelds ever made. Full stop.
>>
>>3287617
if you say so. I consider the GBA an extremely smart technical platform, was a joy to code for it. I loathe it though because developers and users alike abused it as a portable 4th gen system. That's one of the biggest insults you can give any handheld system.

>>3287628
The DS is one of my all time favorites, for various reasons. It does not belong on here though, at all.
The GBA is a terribly misunderstood system, which makes it painful to deal with its fans. It also does not belong on here, dem's the rules.
>>
>>3287612

>pretty much just trying to protect one of the few places where one could possibly talk about stuff like the GB or GBC

can you see anyone shittalking about hb gbc or other handhelds ?

if no, just ignore the other ones and reply to ones you intersted in. it's not like we don't have enough place in whole thread to talk about every handheld or this isn't a thread solely about gb. no one forces you to read and respond to thing you don't like/hate.

So I recommend for you to get respect in your daily life and/or on internet don't be edgy cunt and if you don't like something just ignore it.
>>
>>3287630
ok, now you got a point for that "portable 4th gen sys" and DS
>>
>>3287642
>respect
I am not sure if you get the meaning of that word
>>
>>3287603
>and I do consider the modding a fundamental change of the hardware.
Of course it is, and there's literally nothing wrong with that, aside from offending your autism.
>>
>>3287504
Nothing wrong with modding consoles, faggot.
>>
>>3288207
then don't pretend DMGs or GBCs are welcome here
>>
>>3288662
What?
>>
>>3288717
DMGs and GBCs get constantly shit on for their "bad" displays. The only things accepted here are modded derivations
>>
>>3283023
my gameboy (that I got off a friend) has the battery cover but the clip is fucked so the only thing holding it on is scotch tape. I'd imagine a lot of those gameboys missing the cover had the same problem.
>>
>>3288723
They weren't exactly known for their great screens back in the day. It's possibly to like something while accepting it's imperfect.

You seem to fetishise old toys to an unhealthy degree,
>>
>>3287565
The wonderswan is a great little console, I own several and half the library. I recommend getting a wonderswan crystal to play on though.
>>
>>3283352

I loved Magi Nation as a kid. Tony was so edgy.

Also I thought Perfect Dark and MGS were both great.
>>
>>3289851
>They weren't exactly known for their great screens back in the day
The screen is why I bought one, and to this day it outperforms any backlit screen
>>
>>3290229
I feel a lot of people forget about MGS and PD for the Color
>>
>>3291441
both show up in virtually every GB related thread
>>
>>3291483
Yeah but I mean in MGS and PD circles, I don't see them talked a lot about there.
>>
File: 13413457458.jpg (14 KB, 300x195) Image search: [Google]
13413457458.jpg
14 KB, 300x195
I was going to buy Double Dragon Advance after I got paid. A seller on eBay had like 4 copies with a $35 buy-it now or best offer. They didn't seem to be going anywhere for a week, so I thought I was good. Seemingly overnight, they all disappeared, and now the only copies of DDA that is on eBay has a "starting bid" of $30, and a Japanese copy for $200.

This is bullshit. Speculators are buying out the stock on semi-rare games so they can raise the prices and control the supply.
>>
File: 20160529_164530_resized.jpg (745 KB, 1377x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160529_164530_resized.jpg
745 KB, 1377x2448
>>3287527
>In particular the light mods piss me off quite badly
Good thing I'm not you and I don't give two shits about your feelings.
>>
>>3291563
so what? Lots of console people don't like handhelds. Why expect them to?
>>
>>3290597
>outperforms
Here you go again, trying to present subjective views as objective facts. Are you on the spectrum by any chance?
>>
File: cardfightersclash2.png (9 KB, 334x318) Image search: [Google]
cardfightersclash2.png
9 KB, 334x318
Elder God Tier:
Neo Geo Pocket / Color

High Tier:
Game Gear

Mid Tier:
Game Boy / Color

Low Tier:
Wonderswan / Color

Shit Tier:
Lynx
>>
>>3291961
Hurr playing fighting games by yourself.
>>
File: laugh.jpg (32 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
laugh.jpg
32 KB, 640x480
>>3292001
>not having friends
>>
File: vivian-gameboy.jpg (59 KB, 880x909) Image search: [Google]
vivian-gameboy.jpg
59 KB, 880x909
What are some comfy Gameboy games I can fall asleep to?
>>
>>3292041
Kinda difficult to fall asleep to something you hold in your hands like that.
Something turn based?
>>
File: Harvestmoongb.png (87 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Harvestmoongb.png
87 KB, 200x200
>>3292041
>>
Are there any good games for Wonderswan and Wonderswan Color? I bought it for the Digimons but I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with anything else on the system.
>>
>>3292024
Hey mods can we please have shitposting about what is and isn't retro banned? It's worse here than when people started acting like this on /m/.
>>
>>3292110
Judgement Silversword is fantastic if you like STG's.
>>
Interested in Neo Geo Pocket Color. Is there any specific model I should look out for and what's the best flashcart for it?
>>
>>3292128
I was trying to look this game up and I discovered they actually put it on Steam if anybody cares. http://store.steampowered.com/app/278510/
>>
>Win auction for wonderswan color on eBay
>Curious what the other items this guy has
>Just put up a Wonderswan crystal that ends in an hour

Should I buy this one too anons? That LED screen would be nice.
>>
Sega should have released an slimmer Game Gear that used less batteries instead of the Nomad.
>>
>>3292675
it's what happens when you make handhelds without having a clue about them
>>
>>3292549
I thought the Swan Crystal didn't have an illuminated screen? It was supposed to be a lot better than the GBA's screen though, from what I heard.

If you've got the money then I'd say go for it. If nothing else you'll have a cool conversation piece.
>>
>>3293042
Yeah I'm an idiot. It does have the best screen out of the 3 Wonderswan, while Color is the worst. I'll just sell my Color I guess.

It's way cheaper to buy Digimon World Ver Wonderswan than to buy the original Vpets version 1-5. Plus I get to try to try to play the original games that apparently explain half the weird plotholes in the animes so there's that.
>>
>>3293042
>>3293065
you buy Wonderswan for:
- Gundams
- Digimon
- One Piece
- Funny Games
- Funny Logical Games
- PUYO POP!!!!!
- Guilty Gear Petit
- Rockman
>>
does anyone have gb boy colour, gameboy color clone?
how does it play and how are the controls?
>>
File: img_9530.jpg (150 KB, 1018x768) Image search: [Google]
img_9530.jpg
150 KB, 1018x768
>>3293813
I am considering buying one. I have a modded GBC with a frontlight, but the GB Boy Colour looks like an interesting gadget. Supposedly it will play pretty much any GBC / GB game just fine, although it doesn't have an IR blaster so you won't be doing any mystery gift in Pokemon.

It als9 has a bunch of built in games, but they're all original GB games and not color ones.

From what I understand the controls are good. D-pad is a tiny bit bigger, and the buttons are clickier.
>>
>>3292129
The blue camo one seems like the cheapest one to pick up online for about $60-70, but as far as I'm aware I don't think there are any notable hardware revisions in any of them.
>>
>>3293842
I was super excited about the GB Boy until I realized the screen doesn't match in resolution/will have stretching. Linear scaling is ugly
>>
>>3293842
>>3293943

The reply post is correct, the aspect ratio is not the same as original GBC. Think of it this way- the original is in portrait mode while the GB Boy is in landscape. I have one, you don't actually notice it really. And call me crazy, but I prefer playing the Mega Man GB games on the GB Boy rather than original hardware because it actually looks better stretched out a little, almost like it was designed that way.

One thing to keep in mind though- it seems that only the early ones had games built in, mine doesn't. From what I've heard they took them out so if you buy any from new stock it won't have those games. Overall, not bad, cool to keep as a curio in your collection.

They also make one that looks like a GB SP!! https://youtu.be/6GbGFlM0RIM
>>
>>3290005
Is the screen difference big?
>>
>>3293813
I have one. It's great. The screen is a bit wide and the buttons are super stiff, but the best you'll get in the GBC form factor if you want a backlit screen.

Also, as the other anon said, not all of them have built-in games. Mine doesn't, but, honestly, who's going to play them?
>>
>>3294028

It depends. They're both shitty because they're not lit and that makes a big difference these days. But if you're upgrading from Wonderswan Color to Crystal, you'll notice and appreciate the difference. If you start with Crystal, you can never play on regular color, as what happened to me.

The biggest difference is just being able to play color games period. A lot of the good games in the library are color games that don't work on regular black and white units.
>>
Could someone help me out? I see a Wonderswan Color for sale on Yahoo Aleado Auctions but I'm not completey sure how it works. I buy something, then what? Will they ask for options like Paypal? Also do I have to put in the weight of the package or do they do that? And what is that thing about the tax?
>>
>>3293943
>>3293985
I would have preferred they just use a bigger screen and hide the unused space behind the bezel. That's really the only major knock against the GB Boy, aside from the fact that it doesn't look like a real Gameboy.
>>
>>3282207

Which handheld retro, they are having more games rated K -A (Kids To adults) or E For Everyone in the ESRB ?
>>
>>3294475
If the system is more than 15 years old it's probably applicable.
>>
>>3294485
It is that I only play video games that are suitable for all audiences

I never would play a doom and never play a mortal kombat
>>
>>3294491
I'm not sure what exactly point you're trying to make, but the Gameboy and Game Gear would have had more games rated K-A since that was the original "all ages" rating for video games, and "E for Everyone" replaced it around the time the Gameboy Color came out.
>>
>>3294485
not on this board
>>
>>3294540
Game Boy or Sega Game Gear

Which of the two would be best for me?
>>
>>3294567
They're both good systems. Gameboy is a bit easier to get into since most of the systems have survived the weather of time well and it's not a battery hog. Game Gear is notoriously a battery hog but you can play it from an AC adapter if necessary. In my experience Game Gear games are inexpensive to collect, but they're not quite as common as Gameboy games, and if you want a Game Gear that works you'll need to either track down the Majesco version or a re-capped Sega one (and recapped untis can be a bit expensive. The Majesco version can often be found for $20-30 and it's probably the least fuss option.

The biggest downside of the Gameboy is that the screen by default is pretty terrible unless you mod it. The Game Gear screens haven't aged super well but they're a lot more useable. Either system benefits greatly from an LED backlight mod, although in the Game Gear's case it's mostly to increase the battery life.

The Gameboy has a bigger library of games and in general I'd say it's more of a must-have system. The Game Gear has a lot of good Genesis, Master System and arcade ports and spinoffs. If you're interested in stuff like RPGs and platformers the Gameboy is the best handheld system to own, but for arcade style games the Game Gear is better.
>>
>>3294596
>The biggest downside of the Gameboy is that the screen by default is pretty terrible
play it out-fucking-side, dumbshit
>>
>>3294596
because I hate RPG games

and I am more than to play it direct
>>
>>3294606
Oh boy, it's this nigger again.

The Gameboy has a low-contrast screen with a slow refresh rate. Even under optimal lighting conditions it still looks like smeared shit. The only way to fix the contrast and slow refresh rate is with a bivert chip, and the only way to make a bivert chip work is by installing a backlight.
>>
>>3294109
Or do people go directly to Yahoo JP Auctions?
>>
>>3295028
>>3294109
Proxy service
>>
>>3294606
Fuck that, my Pocket was barely better in the sunlight, sometimes it was worse, lit screens were the best thing to ever happen to handhelds.
>>
>>3297610
>lit screens were the best thing to ever happen to handhelds
they have been lit since day one. Although for most of the time they took advantage of that giant light source in the sky, instead of trying to fight it with a tiny LED
>>
>>3297714
The sun glares up the screen.
>>
>>3297751
anti-glare coating, and you don't need direct sunlight. In fact direct sunlight makes the GBC too bright
>>
File: IMG_20160615_180659_359.jpg (589 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160615_180659_359.jpg
589 KB, 2592x1456
What are some light texted games for this beautiful piece of superior Japanese tech?
>>
>>3297937
Nigga, read what I wrote earlier in this
>>3293510
>>
>>3297951
Not too specific. Just licensed games and "funny games"?
>>
File: no backlight.jpg (151 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
no backlight.jpg
151 KB, 640x640
>>3297714
If only that giant light source would stay behind my shoulder at all times or follow me indoors, instead going in the million other places it might be depending on what time of day it was or where I was trying to play my video games. On a car ride I couldn't exactly tell the sun to move, and if I was indoors the ambient light was usually garbage.

>you're not supposed to play gameboy indoors or at night

Yeah fuck you. I bought my gameboy because I wanted video games to play when my parents made me go places where I had nothing better to do, and I often spent more time fighting for the perfect light conditions than I did actually playing my games. If I could send a time capsule with just one item to the past as a gift to my childhood self, I would put a backlight modded gameboy in it.
>>
>>3298325
Wonder Swan was a budget system. Its main attractions were the low price, long battery life, and lots of games featuring familiar brands that people in Japan liked.
>>
>>3297937
Front mission, believe it or not. Totally playable with limited or no japanese. Armored unit is also kind of a hidden gem on the console. Rhyme Rider Kerorican is apparently good if you like Parappa/Vib Ribbon, same guy.

>>3299532
Not entirely true, the WSC had quite a few Squaresoft games that outclassed what was available on other handhelds at the time. The Final Fantasy ports are, imo, the definitive versions.
>>
>>3299607
Thanks bud.
>>
>>3299530
>If only that giant light source would stay behind my shoulder at all times
not necessary, as the GBC display does not rely on direct light

>or follow me indoors
why play it at home? public places indoor are well lit. Also, low light conditions are when you turn on the auxiliary light source, as opposed to a backlight being required for all operations

>I often spent more time fighting for the perfect light conditions than I did actually playing my games
had your eyesight checked? got an auxiliary light source?

>If I could send a time capsule with just one item to the past as a gift to my childhood self, I would put a backlight modded gameboy in it.
please do. The fewer we have of this shitboxes in the present the better
>>
File: 1464912896825.gif (3 MB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
1464912896825.gif
3 MB, 210x210
>>3299870
(You)
>>
>>3299870
We get it that you are anti modding, but your arguments are not reasonable at all. Most people did not like the lack of illumination on Gameboy screens, and a backlight was the most requested feature since the start. Your attitude is "it was your fault for not playing the system under ideal light conditions" or "you shouldn't play Gameboy at home" like you're our parents.

Gameboy is more enjoyable when you don't have to have strong ambient light. You can stomp your feet all you like, but you will never convince people not to believe their own eyes.
>>
>>3299870
>why play it at home?
I don't know? Maybe he had good games on it and he wanted to play those at home too.
Not everyone had a Super Gameboy (in fact, I never saw them in my country), and if Pokémon or Metroid II was good to play on the go, it was still good to play at home.

Not everything was a Dr.Mario situation where you have the same game on your handheld.
>>
>Hey let's make a thread about handhelds!
(Pleasant discussion)
>I modded mine
>You're a shit
(Thread descends into shit flinging)

Sigh.
>>
File: 1459982751635.jpg (67 KB, 423x314) Image search: [Google]
1459982751635.jpg
67 KB, 423x314
does anyone here know a good place to find quality handheld shells? I'm trying to find transparent shells in particular.
>>
>>3283352
Wario Land 3 easily
>>
>>3300071
>the lack of illumination on Gameboy screens
GB screens were very well illuminated using the ambient light

>a backlight was the most requested feature since the start
a supporting light source, probably. A backlight, no way
>>
>>3300746

It's literally ONE GUY >>3301028

who is absolutely ADAMANT that no one ever should be able to backlight a gameboy because he NEEDS to be able to play at the bus stop on the way to his psych appointment.
>>
>>3301028
>GB screens were very well illuminated using the ambient light
Fuck you and fuck the sun, I hope it gives you skincancer.
>>
>>3301104
Yeah, those lightmodded screens are just so broken, there's no ghosting and it can be played at night or indoors, what have I done?
>>
>>3301104
The purpose of the Gameboy is to have fun. For most people, having a light inside the system makes it easier to have fun with. For a select few spastics (such as yourself) it makes the system less enjoyable "because that's not how it was designed," but that's not stopping the rest of us from enjoying our gameboy light mods.

Also if your cheeky little comparison was meant to be about battery life, it falls flat because LEDs hardly have any power draw, and thanks to better batter technology even a front lit Gameboy Color lasts significantly longer on two modern AAs than it did back in the 90s, and in the case of the Gameboy Advance, the AGS backlit screen is more battery efficient than the original reflective non-illuminated LCD.
>>
>>3301148
>that's not stopping the rest of us from enjoying our gameboy light mods
yeah, that's the thing. You enjoy your light mods. You don't enjoy your GBs, or give a shit about them. You consider them broken by design, gut them, shit on them, twist them into something they're not, and then pretend it has anything to do with a GB. Let's just cut to the chase and call the next thread retro handheld modding general, because that's about all you care for
>>
File: 20160619_003143(0).jpg (603 KB, 1836x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160619_003143(0).jpg
603 KB, 1836x1836
>>3301145
Yeah I am so ashamed of myself for modding my Gameboys. I feel like I've disrespected Nintendo so badly for betraying their vision of gamers everywhere struggling to catch the sun at just the right angle on a 2 inch reflective screen. My parents would be so sore at me if they found out I was playing gameboy indoors at night.
>>
File: 1465504633739.jpg (192 KB, 1200x1215) Image search: [Google]
1465504633739.jpg
192 KB, 1200x1215
>>3301158
>if you make an improvement to thing, it's no longer thing

I bet you play all your old consoles with an RF cable.
>>
>>3300746
We should just start ignoring him. He does it for the (You)s.
>>
>>3301192
you think it's an improvement? Ignorance is bliss, I suppose
>>
>>3301223
(You) have genuinely shit taste and are generally a terrible poster who pretends that sperging out over something inane is just "lol shitposting."
>>
How many of you also ended up playing handhelds more than consoles or PC due to some reason?
>>
File: ak223_magwell_adapter_stanag.png (430 KB, 517x388) Image search: [Google]
ak223_magwell_adapter_stanag.png
430 KB, 517x388
>>3301158
>You don't enjoy your GBs, or give a shit about them. You consider them broken by design, gut them, shit on them, twist them into something they're not, and then pretend it has anything to do with a GB
They're inanimate objects you freak.

I don't give a shit about what the underlying philosophy of a tool or device is, if I want to replace or modify a part, I'll fucking do it as it fits me you unbearable sperg.
>>
>>3300915
For what system?
>>
File: 20160620_000453.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160620_000453.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
My June pickups so far:

Game Gear:
Sonic 2
Sonic Chaos
Road Rash
Super Columns
Mickey's Land of Illusion
Shinobi GG
Ax Battler
Halley Wars

GBC:
Pokemon Gold (technically I picked this one up in May, but my battery holders from China finally arrived so I was able to fix it this past week)

GBA:
Super Mario Bros. 3
Double Dragon Advance
Street Fighter Alpha 3

I'm glad to finally have a decent Game Gear library coming along. I only had like 3 games for it when I was a kid and that was always something I regretted. Hopefully I'll be doing the McWill screen mod soon.
>>
>>3303709
Y-you too
>>
>>3303681
How hard is it to replace the battery on a cartridge? Do you have to do soldering or stuff?

>>3303709
Shut up, faggot.
>>
>>3303948
There might be a solderless way to change the battery, but I prefer soldering. When I use a battery holder, I hotglue the holder in place and then solder the contacts. The hotglue prevents the solder pads from getting pulled when the battery gets removed.
>>
File: 20160519_002310.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160519_002310.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Rebuilding my Neo Geo Pocket Color collection. 1/2
>>
File: 20160519_135620.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160519_135620.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
2/2

Got a few more games on order and will post once I get more in.
>>
>>3303681
I am seriously considering picking up a Game Gear since I have no Sega in my collection right now. Worth it, would you say?
>>
>>3304503
No, it's literally the least appealing Sega system, grab a master system, most of the games you'd want to play on the game gear have higher res ports, plus you can get rgb out.
>>
>>3304503
I'd honestly just emulate them instead.
>>
>>3304534
Was thinking of doing this with a PSP instead of the GG.
>>
>>3304503
Now is a good time to start collecting Game Gear. The games are still pretty cheap and not too hard to find.

If you are going to pick up a Game Gear system, and you don't want to be bothered with re-capping it or doing a screen mod, the Majesco version is the best option. It has better caps than the original version and they still work, and the screen is also a little less blurry and might have a tiny bit better contrast. It still doesn't look as good as a modern high contrast color LCD, but it's an improvement over the original. They don't cost a lot, either.

Also, pick up a Genesis Model 2 AC adapter so you don't have to burn through lots of batteries when you play it at home.
>>
>>3304553
You could do that too.
For the ones which are just ports though, you could very well just play the MS and Genny versions, you'd have a way better time I imagine.
Like, if I want to play Columns, and I'd be choosing between GG and Genny, I'd go with the Genny variant no question.

Does Kega Fusion work on handheld devices? It was a pretty neat all-in-one Sega emulator, you may even be able to play some of the CD games with the right bios and the roms
>>
>>3304991
>if I want to play Columns, and I'd be choosing between GG and Genny, I'd go with the Genny variant no question
puzzle games are quite a handheld-friendly genre
>>
>>3304996
That's true, absolutely, but Genny Columns is fucking beautiful, and GG Columns obviously plays the same but without the same graphical fidelity.
>>
>>3301158
I can understand not liking mods, but I can't get my head around the idea a modded gameboy has nothing to do with gameboys.

I have to say you seem a little too into these things. I love my game boys as much as the next man, but they're just toys.
>>
>>3303948
You can pry the battery off the metal tabs and just slide a new one in. Bend the contacts to ensure a tight fit for good contact and use a bit of tape to make sure it doesnt slide out.

Course if the conection ever breaks, even for a second from dropping the cart or something, say goodbuy to your save. And if the bettery ever slides out during use it could short circuit something and destroy your cart. Possibly even your gameboy, maybe? So yeah, if you wanna go the lazy route make sure you secure it well
>>
>>3305302
>You can pry the battery off the metal tabs and just slide a new one in. Bend the contacts to ensure a tight fit for good contact and use a bit of tape to make sure it doesnt slide out.

That's how the copy of Pokemon Gold I had was done when I bought it from the store. They already replaced the battery using just a tight fit and the original tabs, but since I was already replacing the batteries for my brother's copies of Silver and Crystal, I wanted to go the extra mile and put a nice battery holder in my copy of Gold.

Removable battery holders aren't wholly necessary since you only need to change the battery every few years anyway, but they're none the less the best way to go because it means you will never have to re-solder the cartridge again. This is especially so if you are changing the battery for someone else.

You can also preserve your game saves from being wiped every time you change the battery if you get one of those external memory cards. You can back up your saves, change the battery, and then restore your saves from the card.
>>
File: 20160620_163136.jpg (382 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
20160620_163136.jpg
382 KB, 720x720
>>3303948
>>3305302
>>3305397
Forgot to post this pic. Here's how the battery holders look once I've installed them on the cartridges. In the case of the Pokemon games the replacement battery is a little smaller than the original, but it works fine and should last several years.
>>
>>3305302
That sounds to me like on the same level of good idea as not putting in the take-down pin on a pistol and just hoping the slide doesn't go flying, I would always want a secure connection on something like that.

>>3305397
>>3305403
I like neat little things like that, along with a good litemod, just fixing some of the basic flaws and making an old thing like that slightly more practical.
>>
>>3305448
Yup, the little things definitely matter. It's always good to take extra steps if it means less work in the future, and will help preserve your collection.

Another little thing I do is to put silicone lubricant on the screws for all of my controllers, consoles and game carts before screwing them back together. It's a tiny little extra step that only needs to be done once, and it ensures that the plastic screw threads aren't going to get stripped and minimizes wear and tear from being opened up over and over. I've probably opened up my GBC like 30 times by now and I haven't had a single thread go bad on me.
>>
>>3305463
Hmm, silicone on screws, huh?
I'll have to remember that.
>>
I'm thinking of picking up a Game Gear, everyone says to recap them so I figure I may as well pick up a broken one cheap and fix it up.

What kinda faults are caused by dodgy capacitors, I'm seeing a lot of them on Ebay with dim screens that need to be viewed from a certain angle. Is that a capacitor issue or do they need a new screen?
>>
>>3305643
you can change the brightness like a game boy
I didn't know that at first as a kid so I played my gg at a 60 degree angle for like a month
>>
File: 20160620_183726.jpg (211 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
20160620_183726.jpg
211 KB, 720x720
>>3305643
Yeah, a dim screen is the most common problem caused by rotten capacitors. Weak / dirty audio is also common, and sometimes the system won't turn on at all. The best option is to either replace all the capacitors or buy the Majesco model (the black one with a two-tone black and white screen lens), which has better caps and probably won't need repairs.

One thing to be careful of when buying broken Game Gears: some of the consoles succumb to "screen rot." This will appear as patches of pixels all over the screen that either appear dead or too bright. This is not a problem with most systems, but my childhood GG has screen rot and I'm going to replace it with a McWill screen. I've already replaced the caps on it, and the professional services say that this particular problem is with the screen itself going rotten and can only be fixed by getting a new screen. I think there might be something wrong with one of the caps I added too, because today the screen stopped working at all and I see big white bars on the screen.

I also have a blue GG that has a dim screen that can only be seen at an angle due to bad caps (which I'm going to replace), but otherwise the screen looks fine. Until I get my McWill screen mod, my Majesco GG is my primary unit because aside from some scuffs and a creaky D-pad it works fine. I might try putting some graphite powder on the D-pad at some point to see if I can make it work a little smoother.
>>
>>3305689
If the caps are bad then the brightness wheel won't help at all. Even at full brightness you will have to view the system at a sharp angle to see the picture.
>>
>>3305643
Dim screens can be fixed by changing the capacitors.

However, sometimes 1/3rd of the screen will be darker than the rest and new caps won't fix those. Avoid them.
>>
>>3305705
Most Game Gear screens will not have a screen with perfectly even lighting, and that is due to the nature of how the screen is illuminated. There is a fluorescent tube behind the plastic light diffuser, and the area right over the tube is almost always going to be brighter than the rest of the screen.

An LED backlight is an option, although you will get some hot spots at the top of the screen where the LEDs are. Still, it's a more even light source than the fluorescent tube, and it will more than double the battery life of the system.
>>
>>3305701
Saw one for £13 on eBay and ordered it on a whim, hopefully it's just the caps that are the problem. If there is an issue are there any cheaper replacement screens than the McWill?

Also what are some must own games? Ideally games which aren't just Master System or back ported Master System games.
>>
>>3305764
*or back ported Megadrive games
>>
>>3305746
That's not what I meant. It's like the screen is divided into 3 parts side by side and one will be dark.
>>
>>3305810
Yeah, that's a more serious problem.

>>3305764
If it turns out the screen is shot, the cheapest solution is to just buy another GG for cheap and try again. It's not the most satisfying answer, I know, but the other screen replacement mods for the GG are generally pretty bad, and broken GGs don't cost much.

As for what games are good for a new library, >>3303681 is a good example of some good games. Anything Sonic is generally a safe bet, especially Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble. The best way to get started is usually to look at lots.
>>
>>3305705
Well, a thing you COULD do is to put a little LCD screen in there, I've seen someone do that with a Nomad, but I don't know how hard or expensive that is.
>>
>>3305976
With Game Gear it really didn't work very well, though. Game Gear games are a tiny 1.5" square since those boards have no scaler chip. If you go that route, your GG will pretty much only be good for Master System games via the Master Gear converter. It's pretty much a TV out mod being sent to a handheld TV board and TV.

It works much better for the Nomad because the Nomad has a standard 240p resolution.
>>
File: 20160621_004017.jpg (371 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
20160621_004017.jpg
371 KB, 960x720
>>3305701
So I opened the game gear up and found a capacitor had popped off of its solder points somehow. It was really quick and easy to solder it back in place, and now you can better see what the screen rot looks like.

As stated before, there is no way to repair screen rot, so this GG's motherboard is a perfect candidate for a McWill screen mod. Of the three GGs I've purchased this is the only one with screen rot, and it's also the one I've had the longest.
>>
>>3283352
pretty sure donkey kong country after those 3, playing through metal gear ghost babel now, its bertty gud
>>
>>3287486
i got one in a lot i bought, its alright, prefer actually having the game though
>>
>>3283352
Metal Gear Solid
>>
File: 250px-SMBDX_Boxart.png (141 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
250px-SMBDX_Boxart.png
141 KB, 250x250
>>3306813
*Make that Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and Metal Gear Solid

Mario Bros. Deluxe is so good. Even with the limitations of the GBC they managed to deliver a great port of the original game. I played the crap out of it.
>>
>>3306815
What limitations? GBC was basically a mini NES.
It was better than a NES, even.
>>
>>3306841
>better than Nes
>gba

It's actually weaker and can't really handle the same amount of stuff going on, on screen at the same time

Maybe like 5 moving objects max
>>
>>3306841
The lower resolution's the biggest issue for NES ports.
>>
>>3282207
hey do you guys know how to repair a gameboy color? a while back my little sisters pretty much ripped off those springs where the batteries go. everything else works fine.
>>
>>3306894
Put them back in, also underageb&
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
r8 my collection
>>
>>3301362 here again
Nobody?
Guess I'm the only one with shit luck.
>>
>>3307148
I did and still do prefer handhelds. I like to be able to play anywhere and since we were poor growing up the gameboy Games were cheaper than the nes/snes Games.
>>
>>3306841
>>3306849
NES has 64 sprites, GBC 40 (more with hblank tricks)
NES has 8 sprites per scanline, GBC 10
NES has tile banks of 2x256, GBC up to 2x768
NES runs at about 1.8 MHz, GBC at 4.3 or 8.3MHz.
Both use 8-bit processors.
GBC has a bunch of DMA mechanisms (including HDMA) to support on the fly loading of new graphics data and scanline effects (I think the NES does too, though I don't know how much).
NES has 2kB integrated RAM, 2kB VRAM, GBC has 32kB RAM, 16kB VRAM
The GBC has a much wider color palette and a few more tricks to expand it.
The GBC is considerably more capable, at least graphically (except total sprite count) and in terms of raw computing power. I can't comment on the audio system

>>3306874
bingo
>>
>>3307254
the increase in capabilities and the relative compatibility between DMG and GBC is not unlike the relationship between GCN and Wii
>>
>>3306940
Rock solid. Though it would appear that like me, you don't have a lot of GBC games.
>>
File: 20160621_154728.jpg (156 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
20160621_154728.jpg
156 KB, 640x480
After a month of nagging the seller I finally got my Game Gear carry case. I was attracted to this one because it's a lot slimmer than most GG cases, and it will fit about as nicely in a bag as one can expect for a Game Gear. It's made of some kind of black and metallic blue and siver pleather and looks very nice. It has enough space for two games in cases although you might be able to fit three without cases (plus one in the console, obviously). I'm pretty sure that if I do the VGA port mod on my GG I'd be able to slide it in and out of this case comfortably without it snagging.

My glass GG screen lenses came in the other day too. I think once I get paid this week I'm going to pull the trigger and order a McWill screen for myself as a birthday gift. The main reason I wanted a nice case was because I wasn't about to do a $100 screen mod and then leave my GG exposed to new scratches and other damage.

I've done enough console modding at this point that I'm confident I can do it myself without any complications, and my new soldering station works perfectly for small precision jobs. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress and let you know it goes.
>>
>>3307765
I don't have too many gbc exclusive games either.
Most of my collection is either black carts or dmg only.
I guess that's because the dmg had a longer product life.
>>
>>3307843
Yeah, the GBC was a relatively short-lived handheld compared to the DMG and GBA. It really should have come out a few years earlier. It was a fine little handheld, but for people like me who had already played Game Gear it was kind of old hat aside from being much smaller and having superior battery life, and being cheap.

If the GBC had come out near the start of the N64's life span I think it would have gotten a much bigger library and a wider userbase. It was still a very popular system, but it was seen by many people as just an extension of the Gameboy that was in many ways a bit overdue.

The DMG and GBA came out at just about the perfect time, while the Gameboy Color was just another 8-bit color handheld, a full 8 years after the launch of the Game Gear which had very similar capabilities. I think we were either expecting more from a handheld releasing that late, or we were expecting it much sooner. I knew a lot of kids who had been expecting a color version of the Gameboy since the moment the found out about the Game Gear. The tech Sega used was perhaps a little too far ahead of its time for a portable, although I think Nintendo should have released the GBC in 1995 or 1996 ahead of Pokemon Red and Blue's releases, or with Red and Blue as color launch titles. The tech in the Gameboy Color was nothing new but they sat on it until Gameboy sales started slowing down.
>>
>>3307868
>dat seethrough blue
biehn
>>
Has anyone replaced their GBC shell with an aftermarket one? I'm waiting on mine to come in the mail soon.
>>
>>3308442
Some are better than others. I got one that was slightly smaller than the original and it was kind of hard to screw back together, and the material was clearly of lower quality. I wasn't terribly happy with the results and ended up buying a genuine GBC housing off of eBay that had some scuffs but was in okay condition overall.

Some are slightly better. I bought a replacement battery door for one gameboy that actually fit better than the official one, whereas the one that came with the aforementioned replacement housing was smaller and looser-- in fact, a genuine battery door wasn't able to fit on that housing. It depends on the manufacturer so far as I can tell.
>>
>>3307887
>which had very similar capabilities
except for all the differences you mentioned, which are fucking important for a handheld. Smaller, better battery life, cheaper. Let's add the vastly better display as well.

>The tech in the Gameboy Color was nothing new but they sat on it until Gameboy sales started slowing down
>枯れた技術の水平思考
the whole concept behind Nintendo handhelds of that time is to not go with the latest technology, doofus
>>
>>3308563
The Gameboy Color was already very old tech in the mid 90s though. It would have been just as cheap to release it in 1996 as it was in 1998, and they would have gotten a full two more years out of it. Hell, they could have released it in 1995 ahead of the N64. The GBC was essentially 1980s technology repackaged and sold in a tiny form factor in 1998. They could have released it any time they wanted, but they chose to release it in the middle of the 5th generation.
>>
>>3308585
>The Gameboy Color was already very old tech in the mid 90s though
by fucking design

>It would have been just as cheap to release it in 1996 as it was in 1998
It was sold in 1998 though

>they would have gotten a full two more years out of it
You're assuming it was made in 1996. It wasn't

>Hell, they could have released it in 1995
It was released in 1998, do keep up

>The GBC was essentially 1980s technology repackaged and sold in a tiny form factor in 1998
You can't be this oblivious. Fucking think.

It's not a case of Nintendo going "hey, it's 1995, we got this little machine in the shelf, let's wait a few more years and then sell it". It was a case of Nintendo going "hey, it's 1997, let's make a successor for the GB, using old but reliable components". There was nothing to sell in 1995, 6 or 7
>>
I have a GBA and GBC Emulator on my Android.

What are some games that I should check out? RPGs and Puzzle games are probably best, stuff that doesn't require a lot of quick inputs like Action games.
>>
>>3308616
thanks, Anon.

After I lose, what are some good GBC games I can play in hell?
>>
>>3308619
there's no GBC in hell, it's hell after all. All you get is a game gear, and a new set of batteries each month
>>
>>3308602
The market was always there. People wanted a color Gameboy for a long time, and technologically there was nothing stopping Nintendo from designing and releasing one sooner than 1998. The Gameboy Color was not particularly impressive when it came out which is probably why only 2 years later Nintendo was releasing the Gameboy Advance.
>>
>>3308630
>The market was always there
doesn't matter

>technologically there was nothing stopping Nintendo
you really don't want to understand it, do you?
The cutting edge is completely irrelevant. It's all about using old tech in a smart way

>The Gameboy Color was not particularly impressive when it came out
because it was using mostly a decade old technology. It was not designed to be impressive, it was designed to be a durable, affordable, lasting little fucker, and it was.

>Nintendo was releasing the Gameboy Advance
same ol' display, underclocked. Why don't you complain about it not being cutting edge, shithead?
>>
>>3308613
For GBC, the best games are as follows:

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (kind of redundant since you can play Mario Bros. and lost levels via an NES emulator, but it's a great port / remake)
Metal Gear Solid
Shantae
Pokemon series
Zelda series
Wario Land series

For the GBA:

Super Mario Advance series
Sonic Advance series
Castlevania series
Golden Sun series
Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission
Advance Wars series
Double Dragon Advance
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Zelda Minish Cap
>>
>>3308638
For its time the Gameboy Advance was much more impressive than the Gameboy Color. The screen was even worse, but the games themselves were like nothing I'd ever seen on a portable. It was more impressive than even something like the Turbo Express or the Sega Nomad, which were full-fledged 16 bit consoles.

I don't mean to come across as hating on the GBC because I love the system and I play mine quite a bit, but I am offering my 2 cents on why the system was not as successful or long lived as the DMG or the GBA. The GBC was basically just a more powerful version of the DMG's chipset with a color screen. It didn't offer the generational jump that a lot of people were expecting after a decade, because it was just going from a monochrome 8 bit handheld to a color 8 bit handheld.

Compared even to what the DMG was when it came out, the GBC was far behind its time. The DMG did not use top-shelf tech either, but for a portable in 1989 it was quite acceptable. The GBC did not do much to breathe new life into 8 bit handheld gaming besides adding color, because it was just another 8 bit system after a decade of playing with the original Gameboy, and color handhelds were nothing new by that point either even if they weren't as popular as the Gameboy.
>>
>>3308676
>the capabilities jump between DMG and GBC is roughly comparable to the one between GCN and Wii
That's really not saying much.
>>
>>3308654
Also, call me crazy, but I saw more games push the dmg to it's limit than gbc games.

On the dmg we had titles like Faceball 2000, or X, which pushed full 3d graphics. However, on the color, the most advanced ones were Motocross 2001 and Toy Story Racer, which really only used pre-baked FMV backgrounds.

The color was cool, but nothing really pushed it to it's full potential.
The GBA did get some good games that really used it's hardware, like Doom, Star X, and Astrix&Obelix.
>>
>>3308684
>On the dmg we had titles like Faceball 2000, or X, which pushed full 3d graphics. However, on the color, the most advanced ones were Motocross 2001 and Toy Story Racer, which really only used pre-baked FMV backgrounds.
a) developers learnt 3D on this platform is a bad idea. Gameplay and flow matter more than visuals. As a GBA fan you wouldn't understand
b) you're not looking right for the GBC. Remember the hardware changes between DMG and GBC. Look for stuff using these

>The GBA did get some good games that really used it's hardware, like Doom, Star X, and Astrix&Obelix.
Most of these used the framebuffer mode, and suffered hard from the lack of hardware div. These games worked despite the GBA and didn't push much beyond a misguided developer intention, kind of like the 3D on the DMG. Also, all of them are just visually "impressive". Air quotes, because Doom relied on half resolution and A&O just did a standard raycaster that we'd seen a couple dozen times by that point
>>
>>3308696
Nice projection.

Faceball was generally well received, although fairly criticized for it's low framerate.
X was highly successful and praised for its technical achievements. It was even the start of the StarFox series.

I believe that gbc games didn't push the gbc like the dmg games pushed the dmg for 2 reasons:
The gbc had a shorter lifespan and more developers were interested in using colors in their games.
The gbc did have some good technical titles like Project S-11, which pushed the sound chip, Perfect Dark, which had voice acting and fluid sprite animation, and Cannon Fodder, which used a few tricks to display more colors on screen at once than the gbc was designed to handle.

>Most of these [GBA games] used the framebuffer mode
Nothing wrong with that. Star X had an actual polygonal engine under it's hood.
>>
>>3308745
>fairly criticized for it's low framerate
every DMG/GBA 3D game ever

>fluid sprite animation
that'd be every DMG/GBC game

>Cannon Fodder
Fairly average game that people only whip out for its intro animation, which is broken anyway. There are better high color examples

Regardless, you're mentioning "technical titles", that did what the DMG couldn't even dream of, yet they weren't using the hardware? At this point you must be trolling. Nobody can manage that amount of cognitive dissonance and not have it be intentional

>Star X had an actual polygonal engine under it's hood
duh? Many games did. Doesn't make it any more useful
>>
>>3308493
well fuck, hope this one isn't shit.
>>
>>3308684
>Faceball 2000
>X
>Doom
>Star X
>Astrix&Obelix
quite telling that you consider those games most impressive that bypass or work around most of the graphics hardware, not taking advantage of the machine at all
>>
>>3308752
>fairly criticized for it's low framerate
>every DMG/GBA 3D game ever
Doesn't make them bad.

>fluid sprite animation
>that'd be every DMG/GBC game
Have you ever played Perfect Dark GBC?
It's a cut above the rest.

>Cannon Fodder
>Fairly average game that people only whip out for its intro animation, which is broken anyway. There are better high color examples
Sure, it abused the system to do what it did.

>you're mentioning "technical titles", that did what the DMG couldn't even dream of, yet they weren't using the hardware?
What? Each of them push the system do do more than it was meant to, to varying degrees of success.
You criticize them for not being perfect, when in fact the reason they are imperfect is because they are trying to do more than the system was meant to do.
I just think that more of these technically advanced games were produced for the dmg that other systems. This is probably because it had a longer life and developers also wanted to make their games impressive, but color obviously wasn't an option for the original dmg, and it didn't have enough memory to deal with fmv backgrounds.

>Nobody can manage that amount of cognitive dissonance and not have it be intentional
I think you have more cognitive dissonance than I do.

>Star X had an actual polygonal engine under it's hood
>duh? Many games did. Doesn't make it any more useful
Name them. Most either used per-rendered sprites to look like they did or used raycast, which is not polygonal.

>>3308785
What do you consider impressive then?
>>
>>3301185
>It's the only way to appease the spirit of Gunpie
>Gunpie

you misspelled his name

commit sudoku

Gunpei would have wanted backlights in the gameboy, but at the time it wasn't feasible due to how the screens were manufactured. Also because the execs wanted it cheap as possible

So stop putting words into the mouths of others, and reform your misguided evangelical-tier puritanism
>>
>>3308790
>Doesn't make them bad.
yes, it does. They're ill-fitting for the platform

>it abused the system to do what it did.
didn't. the high color mode is nothing special. dev just fucked up with the audio

>Each of them push the system do do more than it was meant to, to varying degrees of success.
yet you said
>gbc games didn't push the gbc like the dmg games pushed the dmg
So what is it? Are they bog standard GBC games, or are they doing something?

>You criticize them for not being perfect
Wrong. I attack you for understanding fuckall about the GBC

>I just think that more of these technically advanced games were produced for the dmg that other systems
More normal games were introduced for the DMG than for the GBC. It comes with the territory

>but color obviously wasn't an option for the original dmg
You honestly think GBC devs didn't give a shit because "yay, color"? Fuck off

>fmv
yeah, ignorance in full force

>Name them
V-Rally, Need For Speed, first ones that pop into my head. Bunch of demos for generic engines, don't know if they ever saw games. I stopped giving a damn about the GBA when it became clear that that's all it's gonna have in its lifetime. framebuffer graphics demos and 4th gen ports

>What do you consider impressive then?
Fish Files, Warlocked, Dragon's Lair, Shantae, Rayman, Driver

You may now rip each and every one of these titles apart, telling me how much I am wrong about everything, as is customary when asking for specific names or lists. I'll continue calling you a graphics whore and 4th gen nostalgia idiot. Oh, and just because: your reading comprehension is fucked up. I won't even dare to twist my thoughts enough to understand how you got "You criticize them for not being perfect" out of my shit.
>>
I was hoping for more Atari Lynx discussion itt but I guess it's shit after all. I've been wondering if it had any worthwhile games
>>
>>3308682
>That's really not saying much.
It's considered a generational jump between the consoles, it's treated like a minor upgrade between the handhelds
>>
File: med_gallery_2641_1023_251820.jpg (76 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
med_gallery_2641_1023_251820.jpg
76 KB, 640x480
>>3308801
I was actually going to ask about it earlier but I got distracted. From what I can tell it's a much more niche system than the Game Gear and Gameboy, but it has a lot of good games and McWill has a really good screen mod available for it.

The model 1 is a bit of a monstrosity, and it's not actually gray plastic-- it's white plastic that's been painted, and the paint tends to wear off around the sides (where it's held). The model 2 is still bigger than the Game Gear but it's slimmer and sexier than the model 1 Lynx.

Personally, I'm curious about if the system is worth it. It's a neat curio although I'm not a huge Atari fanatic (I only own the 2600 and some games for it). The games are pretty rare in my area, so I'd either end up paying eBay prices or just buying a flash drive.
>>
>>3308816
The Wii is infamous for not being a generational jump, though. It was just Gamecube hardware with the clock speeds slightly increased. In that regard the Game Boy Color was a fair comparison, although you may be selling it a bit short comparing it to the Wii.
>>
>>3308816
>>3308820
Also, I notice there are a lot of broken ones on eBay that go for really cheap, while working ones tend to be pretty expensive. Is it the same situation as the Game Gear where it's just a matter of replacing the caps, or is buying a broken Lynx a bigger gamble?
>>
>>3308797
>Each of them push the system do do more than it was meant to, to varying degrees of success.
>yet you said
>gbc games didn't push the gbc like the dmg games pushed the dmg
>So what is it? Are they bog standard GBC games, or are they doing something?
There are ranges of pushing hardware. It's not some binary distinction.

>fmv
>yeah, ignorance in full force
And yet several games used them for their backgrounds, like Motocross 2001, Toy Story Racer, and Dragon's Lair.

>What do you consider impressive then?
>Fish Files, Warlocked, Dragon's Lair, Shantae, Rayman, Driver
I wouldn't consider those not impressive. They just weren't the first thing I thought of.
Shantae makes good use of color and has good spritework, Warlocked is also a great game that handles loads of sprites.

I'd also add ZAS to the list for it fluid animation and detailed sprites/background.

>Your reading comprehension is fucked up
No more than yours.
>>
File: IMAG0544.jpg (920 KB, 2048x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0544.jpg
920 KB, 2048x1520
>>3308828
Power on issues can usually be fixed by looking at the mains adaptor port as the batteries are routed through that.

Dim screen and/or dodgy sound will benefit from recapping.

I really want to be able to fiscally justify a McWill screen as those things look properly awesome.
>>
>>3308862
That's a pretty sweet looking collection. You should save up for the McWill screen and give it a go, I hear it's a lot easier to install than the Game Gear one.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.