[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been hearing a lot about Sakura Taisen lately. I know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: SW_Sega_Saturn_cover.jpg (34 KB, 372x292) Image search: [Google]
SW_Sega_Saturn_cover.jpg
34 KB, 372x292
I've been hearing a lot about Sakura Taisen lately. I know it's a big cult franchise, but I've never looked into them until now. They sound kinda fun. What's the lowdown on these games? It doesn't look like many of them have been translated, so why is it so popular?
>>
File: misa-asagi.jpg (258 KB, 485x644) Image search: [Google]
misa-asagi.jpg
258 KB, 485x644
They were VERY popular in Japan, like, VERY.
Also I think one or maybe more of the games got translated into russian and released on PC over there.

They are fun games if you are into SRPG and waifus.
>>
Meh, Shining Force is better. Didn't care for the VN interludes that broke up the battle portions.
>>
>>3281581
SRPG combined with visual novel/dating sim, starring an all-female military group who pilot steampunk mechas to protect the great Japanese empire (Nippon Teikoku Kagekidan). I think that's about it.
>>
>>3281618
Doesn't sound too hot unless you're into weebshit.
>>
File: badass-segata.jpg (44 KB, 279x350) Image search: [Google]
badass-segata.jpg
44 KB, 279x350
>>3281624
Don't talk shit bout Segata's waifu.
>>
>>3281624
>Talking about a game called "Sakura Taisen"
>complaining about weebshit
>complaining about weebshit when it's a japanese game aimed at japanese and primarily supported by japanese
>me pretending to respond seriously

>>3281581
It's popular in Japan, not really the US. It has a ton of merch and recently it appeared in Project Cross Zone. Some of the lead guys on ST either 3 or 4 ended up going on to create Valkyria Chronicles.

Personally I'm not a huge fan mostly because I get burned out on SRPGs very easily, and the VN interludes sometimes take longer than I'd like. Still fun to pick up once in a while.
>>
Iris is best girl.
>>
>>3281819
Biggest advantage over Valkyria Chronicles IMO (in my opinion) is that you can completely skip the VN cutscenes and not miss much of the combat. Disadvantages is that the aiming is too RNG dependent for a third person shooter.
>>
>>3281836
>IMO (in my opinion)
>explaining IMO
>typing IMO and then typing out the meaning anyway
>using IMO at all on 4chan
I know this is a /v/ offshoot board but even /v/ used to have posting standards.
>>
File: 1419204340955.jpg (96 KB, 898x1002) Image search: [Google]
1419204340955.jpg
96 KB, 898x1002
>>3281624
>not being impressed by ANY of that
>>
>>3281826
>airisu
>not Sumire
fite me fgt

One of the big draws at the time was being able to have your choices from previous games influence the story in the sequels, that was innovative back then. If you had all four mainline games for Dreamcast and a VMU you could play them as one long game
>>
>>3281618
>Nippon Teikoku Kagekidan
That doesn't mean Great Japanese Empire but Japanese Floral Attack Group/Squad.
>>
Official® thread theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBc-ya7qdnM
>>
>>3282307
Now tells us all what Teikoku means.
>>
>>3282315
Empire. But yeah I should have typed Imperial Japanese Floral Arrack Squad. But that's still nowhere near Great Japanese Empire.
>>
>>3282307
It can also mean Japanese Imperial Opera Troupe and only the kanji disambiguates it. Isn't japanese wonderful?
>>
>>3281609
>>3281819
The character interactions are the bulk of the game though. The battles are easy as fuck and practically irrelevant in comparison, save for a handful that tie into character development. It's like you were going out of your way to not care about the core of the game.
>>
File: bitch what.jpg (67 KB, 485x700) Image search: [Google]
bitch what.jpg
67 KB, 485x700
>>3282281
I would've let you get away with choosing Kohran, but you literally picked the worst fucking girl out of the squad.
>>
>>3281585
>one or maybe more of the games got translated into russian and released on PC over there.
First two actually.
Translation for the first one wasn't that great, but second one was accurate and well-localized.
Still surprized it was translated for Russia. No idea how this deal happened. We also had localized anime movie (in 2001 or 2002 I believe), before they released games.
I got 3 and 4 for Dreamcast recently to finish series.
>>
There was a Columns game on the Saturn that had these characters, and allowed you to do attack/defense motions after every x removed blocks, in an effort to make it a VS puzzler. Dreamcast had a sequel to that.

>>3282307
correction then: their squad is the Japanese Floral Attack Squad, consisting of steampunk mechas, and they protect the great Nippon Empire with those.

>>3282797
Is that why there are so many theatre shows of Sakura Taisen? Even back in 97 they had a Saturn disc released with clips of a live theatre performance with all the characters.
>>
>>3282884
So it's a VN first and foremost. The more I read about the series the more shit it becomes.
>>
>>3283630
>So it's a VN first and foremost
It's also a datesim with lots of character development and great presentation.
>>
>>3283630
Pretty much. Why do you think it was left in Japan?
>>
>>3281581

It's not cult.
>>
>>3283630
>VN
That term does not mean what you think it means.
>>
Should I get the Saturn or Dreamcast version? or maybe both?
>>
File: Maria.jpg (65 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Maria.jpg
65 KB, 400x300
>>3283596
Is Maria's Russia's favourite girl?
>>
>>3284831
You can transfer saves through whole series on Dreamcast.
Saturn copies are cheap though, so you can pick them up as well.
>>3284857
Maria was my favorite girl back then (absolutely love stoic beauty type). My friend was a big fan of Kohran.
>>
>>3284618
One could make the argument rather easily that outside of Japan it is.
>>
>>3281581
>generic haremshit steampunk srpg
>cult
yeah, keep telling yourself that
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.