[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Parasite Eve II
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: 52625-Parasite_Eve_II_E_Disc_1-1.jpg (397 KB, 1409x1387) Image search: [Google]
52625-Parasite_Eve_II_E_Disc_1-1.jpg
397 KB, 1409x1387
Fucking love this awesome game. Just recently began playing it after having beaten the original one, and it's even better. Let's discuss this piece of art together.
>>
The original wasn't released here, but I've played the second one up to one boss where I lost all motivation to go on, pretty late in the game. But I really enjoyed what I played up to this point, especially the combat whichis surprising. I feel the longer the game went the more tedious it got.
>>
>>3281252
I think the game could've been better off if it had more action and were a lot shorter overall
>>
I really hated how it invert-froze for a moment when battles started and showed the rewards when it ended. That could've been easily streamlined into not doing that and showing the results on the hud instead. That was my only real gripe about it.

I consider the bounty difficulty the best way to play the game.
>>
Does it resemble RE series?
>>
bump
>>
I've been itching to play it again (my yearly play through) and have been putting it off. Thanks for getting me to start this bitch up already.
>>
>>3281668
Disgusting.
>>
>>3281352
No. It's a turn based rpg.
>>
>>3281851
evidently you're talking about the original game
>>
>>3281213
More of a Galerians game than a Parasite Eve game I'm afraid

or maybe it's about 50/50
>>
>>3282041
Evidently you have no sense of humor.
>>
>>3282089
>than a Parasite Eve game I'm afraid

Is that really even fair to say when all three games were dramatically different from each other?
>>
File: PE2motherfucker.png (991 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
PE2motherfucker.png
991 KB, 1920x1080
I love PE2 so much, last time I played it, I played it 4 times and a half in a row. I just couldn't stop, I played every mode and difficulty setting, and then played half another playthrough to fuck around with the Gunblade.

Let me tell you that if you've only played in normal difficulty, you haven't seen much of the game. The other difficulties are really worth it.
There is one that adds many tough enemies to the game, one which reduces your stats and makes enemies tougher, and one which does both at the same time.
Also there are fun weapons to fuck around with :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPWgD4cwI74

>>3281352
There are tank controls and a similar visual/camera system. A couple of puzzles. That's it. PE1 and 2 are not survival horror, PE1 has even less in common with RE.

If you like action games like PE2 on PS1, check out Dino Crisis 2, Vampire Hunter D (turn off autolock when you play that) and Soul Of Tdhe Samuraï. Maybe even Deep Freeze but that one is HARD AS BALLS and really not as good as the others.
>>
>>3282150
there is no third game tho
>>
>>3281252
I started playing the original a while ago, and I loved the atmosphere and battle system. The reason I stopped was because it felt tedious, though.

I think I got up to the park. Wandering around and figuring out what to do is one thing, but the encounters respawning all the time made it feel like a chore. Partly because I'm the type who doesn't want to use too much MP or bullets just in case there's a boss coming up.
>>
>>3282492
>running out of bullets
>in the first Parasite Eve

You'll really never have this happen unless you're bad at the game or don't know how to fight the moles in the subway.
>>
>>3282495
you can run out of bullets if you go nuts with the machine gun, like, surprisingly fast, and you might not even notice it happening if you don't anticipate it

I remember the last time I fought Eve at chysler building I had it set up so each turn I could shoot her 90 times

90 times.
>>
>>3282495
I don't even know that. I don't think I had access to the subway at that point, but I may be wrong.
>>
RE is utter bullshit compared to PE2.
>>
Aya is the best RE Girl.
>>
I still have a save on a memory card from 10 years ago right outside the last boss on Survival mode.
I couldn't beat it because I fucked up earlier on and used more grenades than I should have, and don't have enough airburst rounds to bring down Eve. At least I think that's the problem. It's been 10 years, after all.
>>
I honestly couldn't stand it, especially compared to the original masterpiece.
>>
The first time I played PEII I didn't have internet at my house, so there was no strategy guides or anything to be had, and I just played blind. Turned out that specializing in Wind attacks lets you break the game over your knee. Plasma pierces defenses and blasts everything back for like 3 MP at max level, and the poison bolt stun-locks all the bosses, including the giant flamethrower elephant and the shield wizard.
>>
>>3282479
The atmosphere in Dryfield day/night is awesome. I loved all the little details in the rooms there. 80% of the game is backtracking over that area and the underground lab 10000 times, but it works because Dryfield is so spooky and comfy. You get to know it intimately.

Game is really cool that way. It makes you like backtracking and just doesn't give a fuck about reusing rooms a billion times.

That said, I wish there were more missions and areas than 3. The game feels a lot smaller than it should be. There's that whole headquarters MIST hub that feels like the core of a grand adventure and you only visit it twice. The tower and the underground base feel like generic resident evil stuff, but the ARK was pretty cool I guess.

Anyway Dryfield was dope. I had 0 desire to replay the game after beating normal, though. Enough backtracking was enough.
>>
>>3282502
That's the absolute worst way to play. Damage was per turn, not per bullet.

For example, let's say your next turn is going to do about 100 damage. If your gun shoots 3 bullets per turn, you'll do about 33 damage per bullet. If your gun shoots 90 bullets per turn, you'll do about 1-2 damage per bullet.
>>
>>3282536
Basically, you shouldn't ever run out of bullets in PE since enemies drop bullets (and usually as many if not more than it took to kill them)

For instance, a rat may take 3 bullets, but when you win the fight it gives you Bullets +6.
>>
>>3283824
the original crap was to tedious to beat completely, just like the other off-shoots of FF trash series
>>
>>3283824
After I replay PE2 4times and a half in a row, I tried to go back to 1, which I used to like as much as 2 but for different reasons...

After knowing everything about 2, I was disappointed with 1 and stopped playing after 1 hour. In comparison graphics and gameplay seem dated, and those awful menus with the worst menus sounds I've ever heard don't help... Gameplay is very limited too and the "action" part of action rpg matters less.

I never got the good ending in 1. I got stuck at round floor 70 of the Chrysler Tower where there was this big difficulty spike with a boss.
The Chrysler Tower is absolutely awful. It's unfun, a bit unfair, and it's "artificial length" for the game. It's the worst extra dungeon I've seen in a jRPG (although the extra content of the DS version of Chrono Trigger comes close).

I'm sure there are plenty of things I missed about PE1 though, that I was far from having explored the upgrade system through. Another playthrough would probably let me beat Chrysler Tower but the game just feels dated and boring to me now.

>>3284018
Yep, and Wind was the last thing I mastered... When I did it made the game much easier, especially in the underground lab at the end when you fight enemies which are only hurt by magic, it's easy to run out of MP during a fight against them and to be screwed unless you have an MP refill on you, but with Wind attacks there is no such risks. Poison is OP as fuck too, it's mandatory on the higher difficulties.

You should give the higher difficulties a try one of these days if you still have your savefile. IIRC the first higher difficulty is the one where many enemies are replaced by tougher ones, and that one is pretty cool. Those higher difficulties really changes perspective on gameplay and the normal difficulty is just an appetizer.

I honestly don't see what you mean with the Tower being classic RE stuff though.
>>
File: 1099737-pe_aya_brea1.jpg (68 KB, 500x1400) Image search: [Google]
1099737-pe_aya_brea1.jpg
68 KB, 500x1400
No, you're wrong
https://youtu.be/J5aNiX_9e2c?t=3m30s
>>
>>3284215

It may mark me as unoriginal, but I never found a reason to stop using pistols, especially once you could add Burst Fire and maybe Tranq from other weapons onto one. With one exception, they all have balanced shots per round, decent range, and high ammo, plus most of them come pre-equipped with Initiative or Double Command.

It also made sense from a roleplaying standpoint -- Aya's a NYPD officer in the 90's, of course she has experience with handguns.
>>
>>3284593

He makes PE2 sound worse than it actually is. Except for story and music, it surpasses the first entry in every way
>>
>>3284593
The reviewer is in fact a fucking loser using his twisted logic. PE2 is way better than PE1, OBJECTIVELY!
>>
>>3287028
Gameplay? Yes, definitely a great game. Story? Nah.
>>
>>3284658
Here's a reason; shotgun hits targets multiple times. Slap all of your pistol shit onto a shotgun towards the end of the game and you will make mincemeat out of the final boss and a large chunk of the Chrysler Building.
>>
>>3287028
If you look at facts, at technical aspects, then yes PE2 is "objectively better" than PE1. This is how every pro video game reviewer works. They will look at what be measured without having to form an opinion and will use that as "quality meter", which would be the equivalent of judging a movie by its picture quality and the quality of its special effects. But that's how pro VG reviews have always been and probably always will be.

By this logic, PE2 is objectively better than PE1, and so are any shovelware PS1 sport games compared to Super Mario Bros 3.
>>
File: 1465753851639.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1465753851639.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
>>
File: Eve's_room.png (741 KB, 1450x1080) Image search: [Google]
Eve's_room.png
741 KB, 1450x1080
>>3282896
>>3281668
aya is too old
>>
>>3287042
Shotguns (specifically the Burst attribute) hit multiple enemies at the same time, not hit enemies multiple times. You could also add that attribute to a pistol or any other type of gun in the game if you wanted to.
>>
>>3287037
If I want to read a good stroy, I will read some of classic literature. Any game is just a game, which you usually play you moron.
>>
>>3287049
you're so pathetic
>>
pe movie, worth watching?
>>
>>3288358
It's a Japanese made-for-TV adaptation of the novel. It has some scenes that look nice, but it's overall kind of corny and not as scary or as unsettling as the novel. There is a scene in the novel that still sticks with me to this day that is missing entirely from the movie.
>>
>>3284215
Actually when you increase bullets the damage is actually increased, it multiplies it by something like 1.25 then splits it into 3 for 3 bullets, then the random fire mod actually does increase your damage a significant amount in the process of increasing your shots at the cost of removing your ability to pick targets.

After that there's the double and triple attack mods which do what they say they do.

So my one attack, which became 30 attacks, was probably doing around 3x the damage of a single shot, and then I repeated it 3 times, actually doing the most damage I could possibly do per round, at the cost of that round sort of taking a long time, and my spending a shit ton of bullets.

Of course, the fight was laughably easy that way, all her summons died immediately and one round of attacks without them there completely overwhelmed her healing.
>>
>>3289393
Never liked the burst because you would end up shooting at monsters out of range and the decreased damage.
I like the rifle with maybe 3shots and tranq
>>
>>3281213
Fucking love it, I Play through it every year or two, I even got an used PS3 recently for cheap to get some classics digitally and not worry about my psx dying and not being able to play it.
>>
Whoa I forgot how huge Aya's ass is in the beginning in those jeans.
And then her thick legs? I mean you never seen this often in gaming right?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.