[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wonder, why do we call retro games retro? The definition of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: ZeldaCD-I.gif (191 KB, 228x160) Image search: [Google]
ZeldaCD-I.gif
191 KB, 228x160
I wonder, why do we call retro games retro? The definition of retro is "imitative of a style, fashion, or design from the recent past."?
Wouldn't something like "vintage" be more appropriate, since it means something made from the specified time period?
>>
It'd make more sense but retro is pretty much stuck.
>>
>Words have fixed meanings
>>
Because when we play old games today we're imitating the way we played games in the past, as opposed to the current paradigm of gaming.
>>
>>3280858
Do you mean to imply it meant something different when the description was assigned?
>>
>>3280861
I mean to imply that the word "retro" has for decades become increasingly more synonymous with the former meaning of the word "vintage" which has become more synonymous with "antique". This sort of continuous slippage of meaning is typical in hobby lexicon as younger hobbyists want to differentiate themselves from older ones.
>>
>>3280874
Ok, that's a fair point.
>>
>>3280878
Yeah, it doesn't help that "retro" design will often unappologetically use "vintage" elements. Art is particularly fluid.
>>
>>3280859
More precisely, it's because we're imitating old ways of electronics consumption.
-upgrading existing machines, as was common
-buying machines for reasonably measurable technical details and compatibility, rather than based on whether it is proper at being the modern style machine and cryptic flashy evaluations
-putting a fair bit of effort into maintaining and managing the gear, instead of just grasping it off the store shelf
-shopping around in various places, instead of taking your steady stream from the standard online source
-usually using discrete devices, instead of the all-in-one media entertainment center
>>
Because we are NOT hip and WITH IT
>>
>>3280845
Autists an infamous for using words incorrectly and then insisting the world is wrong and they are right. 99% of the retro scene is underage lpers who haven't yet learned the meaning of a lot of words anyway.

>>3280952
Case in point this guy. He basically just strings a bunch of words together trying to sound clever. And if I buy a toy for $5 and put it on eBay for $50 with the word retro in the description he'll buy it. So retro it is.
>>
>>3281301
Aw shucks, I was worried about that!
>>
>>3281615
Damn, you're full of shit. Some Jew from a family with a insatiable deep desire to put more Kazakhs into gulags throws a bunch of fancy sounding stuff out construing it as the be-all-end-all of gender, and you gobble it up.
>>
>>3283369
I don't even have a clue what you're talking about. Do you?
>>
>>3281615
>Autists an infamous for using words incorrectly and then insisting the world is wrong and they are right.
>99% of the retro scene is underage lpers

so the world is wrong and you are right

:^)
>>
>>3281615
How mindless can you get?
>>retro gaming can be called retro because it refers to an older style of game-system usage
>no, I insist, you shall gobble up a modern consumerism patterns! no, because no!
>>
>>3280952
>>3281615

if LPers are really ruining the retro market right now (along with the fans who pay "anything" for the games), will they get bored of these games in 5 years and sell them all back to the collective so we can get them cheap again?
>>
File: 52158613.jpg (45 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
52158613.jpg
45 KB, 235x235
>>3283427
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Baron-Cohen#Autism_research
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipp_Goloshchyokin
>>
>>3284071
>>3281615
> Obtain no fewer than 100 physical copies of truly obscure game
> Popularize through LP
> ???
> PROFIT!!!
Why haven't I been doing this all along?!
>>
>>3284071
No, it just will not be enough to make them cheap, mmmkay?

Now, if there was a floodwave of repros "invested into" by these same speculators, including many hyped as better than the real thing, which they'd expect to sell for current earthbound-level prices or more, but subsequently gave up on, leaving the market flooded with gobs of unwanted repros, that could conceivably do the trick.
>>
>>3280874
The word slippage has more to do with people using the word incorrectly, never being corrected, then saying "words change man" when they are corrected. Given enough time the people who use the word correctly just give up because its like pounding sand.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.