[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just bought a gameboy SP. What are your top 10 games that will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 7
File: $_35.jpg (10 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
10 KB, 300x300
Just bought a gameboy SP.

What are your top 10 games that will run on it?

Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advanced
>>
>>3280776
Metroid II
Survival Kids
Fish Dude
Gargoyle's Quest
Fire pro Wrestling 2
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
Final Fantasy VI
Shantae
Mario Land 1-3
>>
>>3280776
In no particular order:

Zelda: Link's Awakening
Metroid: Zero Mission
Wario Ware: Twisted
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Game Boy Camera (not really a game, but hours of fun)
Pokemon FR/LG
Zelda: Minish Cap
Super Mario Land
Golden Sun/Dark Dawn (really just one game split in two).

Also, if you enjoy Link's Awakening, play Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. They're cut from the same cloth, essentially.
>>
>>3280786
>Survival Kids
Why is it that whenever I'm reminded of a game I was interested in as a kid but never got, it always ends up being horrendously overpriced? Thank god for emulation.
>>
>>3280876
>*lost age
>>
>>3280913
If you want a similar game that's not horribly priced, but unfortunately, not retro, the Lost in Blue games are the spiritual successor to Survival Kids.
>>
>>3280776
Consider a flash cart - aside from getting every game, NES emulates ok.

Also, NES Classics series for Castlevania, Zelda etc
>>
>>3280776
Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel is easily the best GBC game and one of the best MG games in general.
>>
>>3280959
Really? I'd expect it to be a shitty demake to cash in on the console success. What's so good about it?
>>
I'm not all that fond of the GB/GBC library. I find it hard to get into a lot of the games, especially the RPGs.

My favorite GB/C franchise is Medarot which is very unique for an RPG series. First game was translated, I think.
>>
File: CDiLaugh.jpg (44 KB, 616x382) Image search: [Google]
CDiLaugh.jpg
44 KB, 616x382
>>3280776
>Advanced
>>
>>3280998
Aw nigga I remember playing Medabots on the GBA, though it was more of a fighting game. What are the GBC games like? Discount Pokemon from the looks of it?
>>
>>3280776
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
HM: Friends of Mineral Town
Advance Wars
Pokemon FR/LG
Pokemon Emerald
Yoshi's Island
Metroid Zero
Final Fantasy Tactics
Mario Kart for good measure
>>
i know gamecube is just beyond retro, but they have some decent ports of older games. I never owned one growing up but there are a couple near me for 30-40 with a controller and mem card. should i snag one up? or will the cost of games themselves destroy me
>>
>>3280776
>Advanced
>>
>>3280776
>It's Advanced
>>
>>3281205
>>3281145
What's wrong with advanced?
>>
>>3281234
It's "advance" senpai
>>
>>3281254
How can it not be retro? The games have not been sold in stores in a decade?
>>
It hasn't been mentioned, but my favorite GBA game is Ninja Five-O

As for GB games, get Monster Max
>>
>>3280991
Not the guy you're asking, but it genuinely is a cool game. Simpler, but imagine a great mashup of pre-3d Metal Gear and MGS. Mature subject matter and fun gameplay. The beginning might not hook you, but stick with it.
>>
>>3281234
It's Game Boy Advance. Saying "Advanced" makes you sound like a retard or an old mom or something.
>>
>>3280776
Tetris
Mario land
Kirby
metal gear solid
Pokeymon
Mole mania
>>
>>3281462
>excuse me
You sound like a faggot
>>
>>3280991
Rabid MGS fans cant git enough
>>
>>3280938
Oh shit. Thanks.
>>
Donkey Kong '94
Link's Awakening
Dragon Warrior III
Mario & Luigi
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Mario's Picross 2 (Jap only)
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Mario Golf
Shining Soul II
Mother 3
>>
>no mention of Super Mario Deluxe
>>
>>3280876
>Astroboy
Oh shit, I haven't heard that name in forever.
Brb, nostalgia.
>>
>>3280776
lel get a flashcart and download all the roms to it faggot
>>
>>3280776
The only thing I use my SP for is to play GB and GBC games on it since I use my GB Micro to play GBA games. Any way I'll recommend some of
my favorites.
Final Fantasy Adventure/If you like Secret of Mana well you are in for a treat because this is
the first one.

Summon Night Sword Craft Story 1&2
Mega Man Xtreme 1&2
Golden Sun 1&2/ One of my all time favorites next to Final Fantasy Adventure specially the
2nd one.
Astro Boy Omega Factor & Gunstar Super Heroes two great Treasure games.
Double Dragon Advance/ My all time favorite Double Dragon game definitely worth getting.
Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure/ Hands down one of the best side scrolling beat em ups/ fighting game hybrid I've ever played this is a game that has so much depth and content, literally all the characters and enemies in game are unlockable and playable
as well as the fighting game mode is extremely
good. This one I highly recommend to anyone
You don't even need to be a fan of the series to enjoy this it's that damn good.

Tales of Phantasia and Shining Soul II are fun RPG's on the GBA
If you like Ghost and Goblins get Gargoyles Quest for GB really fun game and take on the series.

Here have some examples this is the fighting game mode in Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt11KvkDiTQ

I also strongly urge you to play Summon Night Swordcraft Story 1&2 it's an Atlus RPG that also has tons of content and the ability
to craft almost any weapon you want.
>>
File: dw3gbc.jpg (100 KB, 503x500) Image search: [Google]
dw3gbc.jpg
100 KB, 503x500
>>3281658
Yes! Dragon Warrior III for GBC is amazing.
>>
>>3282746
Great post, thanks.
Not OP, but I was looking for some other games to play on my SP as well.
>>
>>3282283
>not collecting
>>
I got one today, too. Is yours front lit or back lit?
>>
File: wario-land-4.jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
wario-land-4.jpg
25 KB, 480x360
This thread has a noticeable lack of this.

One of the first Advance games, and still one of the best.
>>
>>3280776
GBA IS NOT RETRO

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3284135
Considering half of the games on it are remakes, it may as well be...
>>
>>3284135
the GBA uses a ARM7TDMI which was created in 1998....
>>
>>3280991
It's a Metal Gear game on a cartridge.

So, graphically inferior, but it also means not having to sit through pretentious long-winded sermons about nuclear war.
>>
>>3284138
No one is gonna listen.

New /vr/ would rather just scream into their screen.
>>
>This board is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier. With the release of the 8th generation of consoles, the Sega Dreamcast will now be considered "retro", though the remainder of the sixth generation (Xbox, PS2, GameCube) will not.
>>
>>3285360
see
>>3284138
>>
>>3285375
>platforms launched in 1999 and earlier
>GBA

Pick one.
>>
>>3284137
And SNES ports.
>>
>>3285379
Why does no one start this shit over the Wonderswan color, which released a whole year after the cutoff date.
>>
>>3285379

you care too much about videogames anon. you probably fuck and cum into your game consoles
>>
>>3285401

this
>>
>>3285401
Nobody knows what a Wonderswan is.
>>
>>3285401
Same reason the Dreamcast is accepted. Normies don't give a fuck about it.
>>
>>3285402
Did I make a little too much sense for you?
>>
>>3285417

this poster fucks, and cums, into their video game consoles.
>>
>>3285431
>what is reading comprehension
>>
>>3285437

you're more interested in having pedantic arguments over video game console classification then discussing video games. you are a waste of space on this board, and you fuck and cum into video game consoles
>>
>>3285449
You've been making assumptions and attacking my person instead of my argument from the very start. I could talk about the GBA and its awesome library all day errday, anon, but the fact of the matter is that this is not the place to do so. How do I know this? I read the fucking sticky.
>>
>>3285461

then do so. that is the purpose of the thread. i don't acknowledge your argument because without accepting other consoles this board will eventually run out of things to discuss. GBA is ostensibly "retro," and in time ps2 era will be, too.
>>
seriously what the fuck is the alternative, then? /v/ is not a suitable place to discuss anything. a GBA thread is best suited for this board, given it's age.
>>
>>3285492
And style. The gba has a lot in common with snes/genisis era games design, just with a beefier processor.

Although, I honestly don't care if the gba winds up being considered "retro" anymore. I just want rulefags to stop shitting up threads if anything looks remotely "not retro"
>>
>>3285487
I feel the same way but it's not my call to make. So until the mods change the rules I'll refrain from making Metroid Fusion and Silent Hill 2 threads.

>>3285492
I'm afraid I don't have a solution, anon. /v/ might surprise you, though. Granted I can count good retro threads over there on one hand, but it happens on occasion.

>>3285508
>rulefags
We're not the enemy. Why do you people always have to make it into an "us vs them" situation? Do you not play by the rules irl? If so, is it so hard to do the same here?

Starting a GBA thread on /vr/ in it's current form is just as incendiary as a black pride thread on /pol/. Instead of wasting all of that energy stirring up shit, how about we make a request thread for the GBA to be included in /vr/ discussions? The handheld itself may not be allowed, but there's nothing preventing us from starting a "petition" thread. If we keep this up for a month or two with multiple such threads, we will eventually get an answer.

Playing by the rules is not uncool or square or faggotry or what have you. It's a legit way to achieve your goals within the currently established status quo. It just takes hard work.
>>
>>3285556

rules are not some sacred thing, set in stone. neither are laws. best way to go about change isn't by petitioning while adhering to the the rules by the letter, but by just doing a thing enough that the social circumstances effectively render the rule moot. i strongly doubt you "play by all of the rules" irl, there are many stupid laws that are still on books, that are widely ignored, unknown or unpopular. the example of the wonderswan color has already been brought up, which you've ignored.

you talking about "playing by the rules" irl makes you sound like a huge dweeb, all of the crazy success in tech and recent times has come from skirting laws and occupying gray areas. a simple example, consider pot legalization in washington state. prohibition is a widely ignored and unpopular law, and change did not come about through "petitioning" while following the written rules to the word. that never changes anything, anon
>>
>>3285572
Change by force is not the noblest of things.

Wonderswan threads are few and far in between when compared to GBA ones.

Being a "dweeb" got me through school and college. It got me all of my property and six figures a year. It got me through all of the ups and downs and molded me into the fairly responsible adult I am today.

Scientific research in the name of progress is always welcome. Plus, it merely bends the rules, it doesn't break them.

As for pot, I don't partake and I wouldn't claim to know a single thing about the laws surrounding the matter, so you got me there. Personally, if you're not blazing up in my house -or places where smoking is prohibited in general- or selling to kids, go nuts. The government shouldn't interfere.
>>
this is also not an incendiary topic at all to non-mentally ill people. please, for fuck sakes, discuss video games, and not horrible rule lawyering.

i was playing the gba gunstar heroes earlier, and although it isn't as great as the original genesis title, it's still a fun title for burst gameplay. other random suggestions: Kuru Kuru Kururin, Rhythm Tengoku
>>
>Playing Gameboy Advance games on an SP

I prefer to play them on a Nintendo DS. They look much better on the DS to me.

I use an SP to play Gameboy and Gameboy Color games.
>>
>>3285628

who gives a shit about nobility you're posting on a chinese cartoon imageboard filled with racists and pedophiles for fuck sakes. further it's not by force it's by attrition and is the natural way to achieve any sort of social change. the scientific method is inappropriate for the problem space. idk i got through a science degree in uni without being a dweeb, although i'm no doubt terrible in other ways. lol also good job bragging about your six figure income. please shut the fuck up and post about video games
>>
>>3285641
The DS is fine for just GBA games, but it can't play Game Boy or Game Boy Color.
>>
Buu's Fury, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Pokemon FR/LG and R/S/E, Mega Man and Bass.
>>
>>3285650
Just because the people around you are full of shit doesn't mean you have to stoop to their level. And I wasn't bragging, I was trying to make a point about how it's entirely possible to succeed in life -if we measure success in money, which, as superficial as it is we tend to do- by playing by the rules. Don't worry, with a science degree and that attitude you'll be making much more than me in a matter of years.

Anyway, I made my case. I'm this close to giving in because the GBA is comfy as fuck, but I won't. I can't allow myself to do so, I value self discipline a bit too much it seems.

Have fun.
>>
>>3285680

you fuck and cum in consoles
>>
>>3285686
You're not helping this situation either.
>>
>>3285556
>Do you not play by the rules irl?
IRL rules and laws are made to prevent people from getting hurt.

The rules on /vr/ are arbitrary and could be changed the moment hiro gives a fuck about /vr/ and thinks "yeah, the gba is old *typity type changes sticky*"
>>
>>3280776
Earthbound
>>
>>3280776
Double Dragon is bretty good.

Also Krikzz is working on a GBA everdrive.
>>
Metroid Zero
Metroid Fusion
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Final Fantasy VI
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
Drill Dozer
Sigma Star Saga

Have fun anon
>>
NOT RETRO

>>>/v/
>>
>>3286478
Really anon? We just got done with this.
>>
Halp me /vr/

I have one of these and I have only few games from 10 ten years ago. I want moar but on ebay there is only original new ones for collectors and they are expensive.

Do you recommend buying one of those microSD cartridges for GBA?

Are they easy to use?
Worth money?
If you have one where did you buy it ?
>>
>>3287474
Get a EZ Flash IV
>>
Can I talk about PS2 and Xbox here?
>>
>>3280786
>Metroid II was made years before even the GBC
>but play it on a GBA and it has color

How in the hell
>>
>>3287546
It's a GBC feature, it's in the manual, and it's assigning different palettes to sprites and backgrounds
>>
>>3287546
The GBC assigns different pallets. How young are you
>>
>>3287553
For some reason I thought Metroid II predated the GBC by a good deal. I figured it was a Super Gameboy thing.
>>
>>3287563
Metroid II predates the GBC, but it's irrelevant. This is not a Metroid II specific adjustment. The GBC has 12 different palette combinations to run any GB game in. One of them happens to look "fitting" for Metroid II. Just so you're aware: any variant that uses different colors for sprites and background is likely spoiling a game or two, as sprite overlays for hidden passages become visible.
>>
File: colors.png (629 KB, 1320x987) Image search: [Google]
colors.png
629 KB, 1320x987
>>3287546
>>3287563
Also, the GBC is completely unaware of Super GameBoy features
>>
>>3287546
You must 18 or older to post here.
>>
>>3284126
The best thing in this game is the sound the crazy scientist guy makes when you hit him.
>>
>>3280776
I don't really have a top ten but
Metroid: Fusion
Mario And Luigi: Superstar Saga
Literally any Pokemon game you can grab
The Sims Bustin' Out for SP if you just wanna fuck around
Pretty much any Zelda game for handheld is great
>>
My top ten:
1. X
2. Tron 2.0
3. Links Awakening (/DX)
4. Tetris
5. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red
6. Wariware Twisted (Or MegaMicrogame$)
7. Battletoads
8. Operation C
9. MGS: Babel Fish
10. Gameboy Camera

Honorable mentions to Faceball 2000, Bionic Commando Elite, and Pokemon Pinbal.

All of them are pretty unique or just straight up fun.
>>
>>3284236
It's not new vr, it's how we always have been here.
You fucking young folks keep trying to change the rules to suit your childhood.
That's fine and all but there are so many other sites that will accommodate what you want as rules instead of trying to impose then on us that set the rules when this board was opened.
>>
>>3285730
I know them rules really help all you yanks big companies from getting hurt. How about that economy? Them laws and rules really helped keep that safe
>>
>>3291797

Actually shut the fuck up about rule lawyering. You aren't a mod or board janitor. Backseat moderation is probably one of the most annoying things. If the thread is a problem it will be removed.
>>
playing some harvest moon, previously circle of the moon. good shit
>>
>>3291718
>tron 2.0

I always enjoy playing the original arcade games on there, or that knock off of Yar's Revenge.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.