[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody remember this gem?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
File: Secret_of_Mana_(US).png (3 MB, 1500x1093) Image search: [Google]
Secret_of_Mana_(US).png
3 MB, 1500x1093
Anybody remember this gem?
>>
>>3278425
what game
>>
>>3278428
/thread
>>
Take your obscure hipster "le hidden gem" elsewhere, OP.
>>
>>3278432
lol
>>
Pretty sad the internet...it's hard to distinguish between genuine posts for good memories or stupid bait stuff.
>>
Not bad, but i just feel everyone that tried arpg ultimately failed, except the obvious one. Zelda handled it well even with the shitty story, whereas square which always puts more emphasis in the story made the gameplay boring.
>>
File: 1464597360285.jpg (87 KB, 227x337) Image search: [Google]
1464597360285.jpg
87 KB, 227x337
>>3278485
>Zelda
>rpg
>>
>>3278494
I think he meant Zelda 2

Never played this, still have to go through Chrono Trigger
>>
>>3278425

Most of /vr/ was still sperm when this came out.
>>
>>3278657
Sadly fucking true these days.

Back then, it was a tradition for me to get a new rpg each Christmas.

In 92 I got Zelda III.
In 93 I got Mana.
In 94 I got FF III (VI).
And in 95 I got Chrono Trigger.

Wish I could say I still had them....
>>
File: 1464798906958.jpg (15 KB, 357x269) Image search: [Google]
1464798906958.jpg
15 KB, 357x269
>>3278518
>Zelda 2
>rpg
>>
>>3278861
>Zelda III
>III
>rpg
>>
>>3278946
>Confirmed child

Zelda III is what people called ALTTP back in the day. Because - get this - it was the 3rd Zelda game.

The Zelda series is also considered to be of the role playing game genre. Fucking hipster tourist.
>>
>>3278425
this game broke the mold of the shitty gook rpgs
had alot of innovative stuff and the storyline hooked you
was pretty easy though as i remember but still offered at least 40 hours of play through
>>
File: 1463775688539s.jpg (5 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1463775688539s.jpg
5 KB, 125x125
>>3279050
>The Zelda series is also considered to be of the role playing game genre
>nevermind that the progression system is nothing like an actual rpg
>>
>>3279050
>>3279149
Idiots on started calling Zelda an RPG during the 5th gen console war, where Nintendo kids were desperate to have ANY ammo to counter the "n64 has no RPGs" point.
>>
Obscure game thread?
>>
Are we really going to do the whole "is Zelda an rpg" meme?

Ask the world which genre of gaming Zelda is and the only people to argue against role playing are the contrarian, hipsters who seem to think their nit picking makes them an authority on video games.
>>
>>3279154
Zelda has been called an rpg since the '80s kiddo.
>>
>picked up Secret of Mana again last week
>battery died
>all my old saves gone with level 99 characters and perma mana sword because of a bug with looting a sword orb in the flying fortress
>start again
>grinding out magic soon as I get them
>level 8 magic across the board with the chick and lil dude
>get burned out around the time of the sunken island
>see this thread
>still dont feel like playing
>notice 20 posts with 12 unique IDs
wew
>>
>>3279191
Yeah, that's totally why Link's shield was the icon for Nintendo's Adventure Series brand. Because it was an RPG from the start.
>>
>>3279191
its an action adventure with RPG elements
cuck
>>
>>3279216
You're talking about a time when the mechanics and staples of role playing video game were still defined. What's your point?
>>
>>3279221
I never said it was right. I just said that if you asked the population what genre they thought Zelda was, about 95% would call it an rpg.

Calling people out when they refer to any Zelda game as an rpg (when it's a perfectly reasonable pigeon hole for the series) is like arguing whether or not Alien is a sci-fi or a horror movie.
>>
>>3279232
That Zelda is not and has not ever been an RPG, you twat. Are you actually this dumb?
>>
File: images.png (2 KB, 125x88) Image search: [Google]
images.png
2 KB, 125x88
Such a great game!
>>
>>3279246
Not him, but since you've already resorted to personal insult as an argumentative tactic with somebody you've never even met, I'd have to conclude that you're the stupid twat for getting so worked up over semantics.
>>
>>3279246
See >>3279245

This is why video games are still regarded as an immature as fuck medium because people feel the to argue over pointless shit like this.

Why isn't Zelda an rpg? Because there's no levelling up? What all the things it DOES have in common with traditional rpgs. Better fucking ignore all that, right?

It's a pointless argument but it's one that's used time and time again.

>must correct you
>muh intellects
>know moar about vidya than you do
>>
>>3279278
>What all the things it DOES have in common with traditional rpgs.

What all the things have it in common, then? That it has an inventory and money system...and that's about it. It has no levels, no magic system, and most importantly no significant choices regarding the development of the character or his equipment - you know, the fucking hallmarks of traditional RPGs. It has almost nothing in common with any RPG video games available at the time or even the tabletop RPGs that have been available since the 70s.

Zelda games are action games with, at best, some light RPGish elements, and were marketed by Nintendo itself as such, since according to >>3279263 and >>3279232 merely implying this isn't clear enough.

And all this because somebody mentions that Zelda was retroactively referred to as an RPG to counter the (correct) claim that the N64 didn't carry enough RPGs.
>>
>>3278425
Of course. Don't mind the memes, this game isn't obscure at all.
>>
>>3279293
Zelda has ALWAYS been considered an rpg. Right from the beginning.

>Tolkienesque setting
>Swords and Magic
>Supernatural evil threatening the land
>Core gameplay is open ended and progress is built around the player's need to explore the game world at his/her own pace.
>Towns and villages which flesh out the story and offer side quests
>Dungeons which require successful navigation and end in boss battle to progress the story
>Optional Items, Artifacts and Attributes to discover

That's just off the top off my head and these are all staples of what people consider to be a traditional role playing game.
>>
>>3279313
I already pointed out what the staple of RPGs is and it's CHOICE. Zelda doesn't have significant choices. There's no point in time where you get to choose between any two impactful choices - you don't ever wonder "Should I go with the Axe of Rage or the Holy Lance? Kill the goblins or work out an accord?" No, Zelda is fundamentally go to x, kill boss y, collect item z and all in a twitch-reflex action setup.

All you're defining an RPG by is its setting, which precludes things like Fallout and Shadowrun from being RPGs, and by tropes that have been liberally borrowed from by other genres, which makes games like Halo and Doom RPGs going by some of the points you're offering since they meet 4 or 5 of them.

Your definiton of an RPG a shit.
>>
File: GTFO.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
GTFO.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
>>3278425
>Posts somewhat popular game
>Acts like no one in the world has ever seen it before
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>3279325
>Your definiton of an RPG a shit.

That's why I said TRADITIONAL rpg. These were the staples set forth when the entire idea of what constitutes an rpg was birthed; the 70's and '80s.

I grew up in the '80s playing D&D and reading Steve Jackson/Ian Livingston books. Zelda was ALWAYS refered to as an rpg because it bore all the hallmarks of the genre.

>Enjoy my blog.

I'm glad you mentioned the fact that many modern games have BORROWED rpg elements because it backs up the arguement I made earlier - you don't see movie fans arguing over whether ALIEN is a sci-fi movie or a horror film. It doesn't fucking matter.
>>
Preferred Secret of Evermore, desu
>>
>>3279293
>>3279325
You're starting to sound more and more like a fanboy by the minute. You keep bringing up some imaginary oppositional force of N64 fans who desperately need to prove that JRPGs existed on the console. Everybody knows the N64 catered to action and exploration type games over JRPGS, and I've never seen anybody get overly defensive about it like you seem to be implying.

Secondly, your assertions about Zelda are complete horse shit. Zelda games generally allow you freedom of choice over: the order in which you complete most dungeons, your armor type, weapon type, your own name, whether you pursue optional upgrades or side quests, and even aspects of your character's appearance. Zelda's "leveling" is progression-based and gated by the acquisition of important items. You can increase your attack, defense, magic, and gain new abilities by progressing through the story and obtaining or upgrading items.

You can argue that the Zelda series has always followed the template of a very basic type of RPG, but you cannot deny the series its heritage in the genre. Zelda transcends both the action and RPG genres.
>>
>>3279050
It was wrong back then and it's definitely wrong now. It isn't the 90's anymore.
>>
>>3279206

Shoulda bought a Super UFO Pro 8 flashcart, they're great for uploading/downloading srams to carts.
>>
Came here to confirm that Secret of Mana is in fact my favorite game of all time, but then I see a "Zelda is not an RPG" argument and realize /vr/ is an absolute shithole so you all of you can go fuck yourselves.

The game had the best music and the level 8 magic was cool as fuck.
>>
>gem
It was shit back then and it still is.
>>
File: 5_1.jpg (16 KB, 196x214) Image search: [Google]
5_1.jpg
16 KB, 196x214
>>3279313
>mentions setting and atmosphere instead of addressing the lack of stat/skill progression
>otherwise describes game elements that would qualify virtually every game ever as RPGs
>>
>>3279625
You simply don't understand, yes?
>>
>>3279810
Are you retarded because that's what a retarded person would say
>>
>>3278425
Does a bear shit in the woods? It's a fucking classic, a critical success, millions have played and enjoyed it, and if you think otherwise, you're a fucking moron.
>>
>>3278485
This game is leaps and bounds better than A Link to the Past.
>>
>>3278425

I thought I was the only person on the planet to remember this extremely obscure game
>>
>>3279625
This is why /vr is fucked because it's populated by feckless hipster tourists.
>>
>>3278425
Remember it? I own it and got it years ago for like twenty bucks before this stupid retro bubble. It's a good game in the seken densetsu series
>>
>>3278425
Playing it on my hacked Wii right now.
>>
>>3278425
Way too obscure for me OP, have people even played this game? It might be china exclusive, probably not even official.

Also, who the hell are square soft? Sounds like a total rip off of Square Enix to me, how dare they defile the company name of a developer that has brought as such hits as Final fantasy mystic quest and the movie spirits within?
>>
>>3278432
This. While your at it take earthbound with you too
>>
>>3278425
I remind as a kid this was in the toy shop near my house, it was the time were gaming magazines weren't a thing yet and often, the only meter of judgement on which game to buy was either from word of mouth of your classmates or, by looking at the cover.

That cover was and still is, incredible. I spent hours imagining what kind of place that was, what would have lead those people there and whatnot. It manages to evoke such a feeling of wonder and mistery.

Too bad that when I actually got the money around to buy it, the shop had removed/sold it. I still can't taste that bitter feeling in my mouth 20 years later.
>>
>>3280413
>it was the time were gaming magazines weren't a thing yet

>>3280413
>20 years later.

You're saying gaming magazines weren't a thing yet in 1996?
gaming magazines were fucking HUGE in 96.

EGM and Gamepro started in 1989, everybody in my highschool was talking about them in 91.

And don't come with "oh I'm French/German/Polish" because I'm Dutch and all gamers read gaming magazines here.
>>
>>3279561
There's like 4 particular shitposters here who do nothing but make every thread a miserable bore to scroll through.
>>
>>3280413
>it was the time were gaming magazines weren't a thing yet

What are you talking about dude? In 1994? Video game mags were in their prime.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.