[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
limits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
What's the most you would spend on a retro game and what is the most you actually have spent?
Frep free to make fun of collectorfags in here
>>
$0 and $40~ on sotn like 14 years ago

emulate, retard
>>
>>3277850
$20-30 if it's a must-have "I've wanted to own it since I was a child" game. $5 if it's a random find.
>>
>>3277854
Yea 40 if its for nostalgia
Otherwise 30
>>
>>3277856
Are there even any good games you can get at that price point? All the good games on Nintendo platforms seem to cost at LEAST 30 bucks
>>
>>3277850
My cap is pretty low, like $50 AUD. I'll just pirate a game if it's worth more than that. I am lucky enough to have some of my favorite games be cheap, or to have found them cheap. I got harvest moon snes for $5 at a cash converters a few years ago, was so happy.
>>
>>3277860
Nintendo games are overpriced because of nintenbabies, but if you look around you will find that you can find a decent price. Never use ebay, try trade groups.
>>
>>3277876
Where does one find these "trade groups"?
>>
I might buy Chrono Trigger and Earthbound some day as long as they stay <=$200.

I currently still have my copies of OoT, Majora's Mask, Mario Kart 64, Smash, SM64, DK64 but if I lose them or they break some day I could see paying $200 for them.

This is all hypothetical though. Right now my limit is around $60, and that's only for absolutely top-notch shit I already know I love like Super Metroid (bought a mint cart recently).

I'll pay up to $30 for famous games I want in my collection like FF7, MGS, Yoshi's Island even though I know those games aren't 100% my cup of tea, known great games but that don't have a lot of content/replay value, like Kirby's Adventure, Sonic & Knuckles, or third-gen and below Pokemon games.

$20 is my usual limit for handheld games, $10-15 for "whatever" purchases.
>>
>>3277879
Have a look on facebook.
>>
I once spent 300 on an nes deluxe set complete in box. The rob's arms didn't work though so I got 70 back as a refund.

The condition on it all is great so I keep it as a backup for whenever my main nes dies. The extra stuff like the application for a subscription to the nintendo fun club is just icing on the cake.

I'm pretty good otherwise, I almost always buy low and sell high (if I do sell).
>>
>>3277850
Probably $100-250.
I've never spent any money on a retro game because I emulate.
>>
A while back I got Earthbound in the box with the strategy guide for $300. I'm still happy with my purchase
>>
>>3277850
Stadium Events NTSC.

I own that game. Cartridge is mint, too.
>>
>>3277850
Tempted to drop money on Splatterhouse 2 before it gets even worse

The most I've spent on a retro game is lower than what I've paid for a modern game
>>
I wouldnt pay more than 60 for a game, new or old.
>>
>>3278375
Is it any good?
>>
The most ive spent was $50, generally I stop at $20 and have never spent over $15 for a nes game.
>>
File: 21-capture_16042008_021118.png (10 KB, 512x448) Image search: [Google]
21-capture_16042008_021118.png
10 KB, 512x448
Most I spent was $200 on earthbound a little over 2 years ago, don't regret it at all. I think typically I would spend $40-$50 at most on a single game.
>>
$70 is pretty much my limit for hardware, but I did spend around $100 for a M2 Sega CD a few years back.

I don't think I've ever spent more than $30 on a retro game, not including tax. But I've paid that price for 5-Screw Zelda, Mario Paint, Contra, Castle of Illusion, Toejam and Earl, and Sonic CD. I buy all of my Sega games CIB.
>>
>>3277850
I have a general rule of not paying more than it would have cost full price. But I rarely buy expensive retro games anyway. Most expensive I have is EarthBound which was about $80.
>>
From what I can tell the majority of people here won't pay per then original cost of the game.
How does it feel knowing you don't and wont be able to own and collect some of the more popular 4th and 5th gen games? Emulator users need not reply.
>>
Paid $800. Would pay more but none of the $1000+ games are really worth owning to me. Generally meh games that I don't care if I own the physical version or not.
Sold most the games I owned off and just use everdrives.
>>
I've got a retro emulator console hooked up to my TV and while I love retro games, I can't justify paying money for physical copies I can play anyway. Especially since I'm saving up for a deposit on a house.

But I do spend up to £10 on DS/Wii games and up to £35 on Wii U games. Not retro I know.

I do occasionally find retro games at car boot sales but I mostly trade them for newer games with friends. Traded Zelda N64 cart I bought for £2 for 10 semi decent Wii games with a friend 3 months back. I'd love to keep it but I can play it any time on my emulator with a real N64 controller and I'd rather play newer games I've not played yet.
>>
>>3277850
Japanese prices are lower than US/EU prices for /vr/ stuff, and I import all my games from Japan. Some good games are in $5-15 tier, so it's usually the price I'm ready to pay.
I would never pay more than $100 for /vr/ game. So games like Panorama Cotton, Monster World IV or Segagaga are out of question.
>>
I would say $50 based on how badly I want to play it and rarity; no way would I pay $50 for Super Mario World or the like, but as long as it's a fair price.

Most I have spent is $15 for Pokemon Stadium 2 a long time ago but I've finally become able to collect again, so that figure is sure to rise.
>>
>>3278945
What game?
>>
>>3279016
Sealed Panzer Dragoon Saga a few years back.
>>
>>3278973
>emulating
>wii u
Youre in the wrong thread motherfucker
>>
>>3279046
To my mind you've moved beyond retro gaming and into market speculation...

It's sealed, unless you cut the value in half you can't even play it?
>>
>>3279072
I bought it to open and play. I had bought 3 copies prior but all had scratched discs from asshiole resellers. So just said fuck it.

I've had the majority of my collection for years or since the games were new. So the last few games I want to play are some of the pricy/obscure ones.
>>
>>3279083
$800 though? Rich or just a well paying job?
>>
File: 1101995.webm (2 MB, 1304x720) Image search: [Google]
1101995.webm
2 MB, 1304x720
>collectorfags
>>
>>3279083
I think I heard that Saturn games are incredibly easy to reseal tho. Also couldnt you have just tested the disc prior to paying for it?
>>
>>3279104
I guess you could reseal one. Pretty easy to tell after opening if it's not new.
>>
File: IMG_0510.jpg (522 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0510.jpg
522 KB, 1632x1224
>>3279095
But Suikoden came ina double wide jewel case.... not even triggered.
>>
>>3277850
The most I would be willing to spend on a retro game would be $50, and I haven't ever spent more than that on one. The only exception is when I bought The Misadventures of Tron Bonne for $150 cib because I won $900 in a work contest.
>>
>>3279117
yeah and the guy who made the video is obv a collectorfag showing off
>>
>>3277850
$2000
>>
File: mg_weed_3446.jpg (43 KB, 475x300) Image search: [Google]
mg_weed_3446.jpg
43 KB, 475x300
>>3277850
20$ but i might just get a chinese everdrive next thing i buy. i did spend $30 to get Battletoads but i traded it for weed
>>
File: IMG_20160423_123234.jpg (1 MB, 4096x3072) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160423_123234.jpg
1 MB, 4096x3072
>>3278973
My wife's son does that, he loves it.

Pic semi related: most expensive cart I've seen in real life.
>>
Currently the most I've spent on a retro game is $28 for Banjo-Tooie
>>
>>3277850
60$ for sunset riders and that is my limit.
I only did it also because my bartender gave me her donkey kong 1 2 3 and also smw that were in better shape than my own. so I traded my copies for SSR.
>>
>>3279349
The fuck? I understand that it is a prototype, but still. Drop off a zero and MAYBE someone would pay it, but even then that'd be on the high end for a prototype of a released game, even one from a popular developer.
>>
File: 1462460204038.png (445 KB, 566x554) Image search: [Google]
1462460204038.png
445 KB, 566x554
>>3277850

The price of a flashcart or quality blank CDs. The only time i'd consider buying an acutal copy of a retro game that can put on a flashcart or burned onto a CD instead is if it's one of my absolute favorite games.
>>
$0, emulation exists...

when the memeing stops and you're trying to sell your cartridges, remember this post.
>>
>>3277850
>most you would
Maye $5

>most you actually have
$3./3. I spent a lot more on neo geo games but they weren't retro at the time.

>>3279390
>I emulate for $0
>IN MY MIND!!!!!!
>>
I use to collect up until my early 20s. Amassed ~150 NES games, some of which are fairly rare along with a lot of odd ball bootleg shit.

I enjoyed it all a lot, and I bought to play, not to just have sitting around since thats a fucking crime in my book.

But anymore, I don't think I've bought a classic game (read: cartage) in probably 6-7 years. I've got too many other things that my money needs to go in to, being an adult sucks. But even then, with how expensive things have gotten, I've just grown a distaste for it all.

I just emulate with a DS4 90% of the time anymore.
>>
>>3279460
I don't spend anything on emulators though and i already have my computer for work.
>>
>>3277860
Late reply, but I was a sega kid. I'm also getting into the playstation 1 recently.
I'm not even going to bother buying retro nintendo stuff outside of the gameboy line.
>>
>>3279516
>I bought a pizza for dinner
>Couldn't finish it so ate the rest the next day
>PIZZAS ARE FREE!!!!!!
Yup. That's exactly how retarded you sound.
>>
>>3279575
False analogy.
>>
>>3279578
Perfect analogy. In fact so perfect you have deny it because it's so perfect.
>>
Spent 1000$ on a Batrider board off eBay recently. Was to scratch that wonder of "Does it emulate properly?" The answer to me was "Pretty much." Also because 240p and I hate using RetroArch sometimes.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.