[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jrpgs with a continuous series-spanning story
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Silmarillion.png (113 KB, 220x320) Image search: [Google]
Silmarillion.png
113 KB, 220x320
Are there any J/RPGs with a continuous story?
>>
Rance has an ongoing story since 1989.
>>
>>3276551
Isn't that more of a VN though?

I've heard Trails has a continuous story but its not really /vr/
>>
the Ys series
>>
>>3276557
Na, it's various kinds of RPGs and a few strategy games.
Ys also has a continuity since 1987.
>>
>>3276483
Is that "/" there to include non Japanese rpgs or is that a typo?
>>
>>3276561
To include non-jap rpgs
>>
>>3276562
Then there are a few older crpgs that fit then.

I think Wizardry, Ultima and Might and Magic might work.

At least I think they do something like three games will have a continuous story so maybe 5,6,7 will connect or have the same main characters but earlier or later ones wont (although they're still in the same world/universe).

Plus Wizardry has that neat thing where you can pull saved characters from one game to the next.
>>
>>3276569
There's some loose continuity with the first 3 Ultima games and a strong continuity from 4 onward that retroactively extended to cover the first trilogy. You have character transfers from 4 to 5 to 6.

Might and Magic is technically a continuous storyline from 1-9, ultimately also including some side games like Heroes of Might and Magic. Most of it is just a recurring villain and some themes.
Practically 1 and 2 have some continuation with character transfer, 4 and 5 are a single game and HoMM2->MM6->HoMM3->MM7->MM8

Wizardry can be divided into 1-5 taking place around Llylgamyn and 6-8 having a separate Universe.

D&D games also obviously fall into some continuity like the Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance and some have a continuing story.

There's a lot of shorter series.
>>
All numbered Suikoden plus Tactics and the Gaidens.
>>
>>3276483

Phantasy Star 1, 2, 3 and 4 comprise a history of the people of the Algo system. And, I guess, could be considered a continuous story.

And for anyone thinking of posting "But Phantasy Star 3 has hardly anything to do with the other three games", PS3 tells you the destiny of the people of Palmawhich is pretty important to the overall story when you consider Palma was the setting of PS1.
>>
File: Arc_the_Lad_3_cover.jpg (25 KB, 256x255) Image search: [Google]
Arc_the_Lad_3_cover.jpg
25 KB, 256x255
The first 3 Arc the Lad games form a pretty tight trilogy
>>
Golden Sun on GBA
>>
The numbered entries (and 2089) of the Front Mission series all share the same near-future Earth as its universe. Although they all take place at different times, feature different characters, and focus on different events, there is an overarching story between them.
>>
Do Dragon Quest IV, V, and VI count?
>>
File: world.jpg (726 KB, 3442x2900) Image search: [Google]
world.jpg
726 KB, 3442x2900
The Suikoden world had some pretty extensive universe building to it. It's a shame the series died because I would have loved to see it explored in full.

not sure how accurate this is
>>
>>3276483
Mother series, I'd argue is almost as continuous of a story as Tolkien shit.
>>
>>3280056
Ogre Battle series unfortunately suffered a similar fate as well. They even numbered the episodes and built the story out of order. It's a shame we'll probably never see the full series come to fruition.
>>
>>3276483
Suikoden comes to mind. All set in the same world, with years passing between installments.
>>
Lufia
>>
>>3280106

it's a shame we'll never see the harmonian issue resolved. Honestly I don't think they had any idea how to really do it when they brought it up in the first place
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.