[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old Windows Shareware / Freeware Games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: Chip's Challenge_3.png (23 KB, 320x220) Image search: [Google]
Chip's Challenge_3.png
23 KB, 320x220
My Dad's friend (65 yrs) wants me to install some games on his laptop (some old crutch, still on XP)

All he plays is Solitaire and he wants something new.

Other than MahJong and and other card games I can't really think of much else.

Any recommendations?
>>
SkyRoads
>>
Doom.
>>
>>3276326
SKIFREE
K
I
F
R
E
E
>>
>>3276326
So you're mostly after puzzle games or are other turn-based game okay?
XP's Freecell and Spider Solitaire are pretty good.
Maybe he could even like games like Civilization or Transport Tycoon Deluxe?
>>
Microsoft Entertainment Pack!

There were also a ton of Myst-likes from that time (Journeyman Project!) and a butt load of terrible shovelware.
>>
File: santas secret valley.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
santas secret valley.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
Santa's Secret Valley
>>
Elf bowling
>>
Yoda stories
Sim city 2000
3d movie maker
>>
Tyrian 2000
Diablo 1
StarCraft
WarCraft 2
Command & Conquer
C&C Red Alert

Since he's 65 he'd probably prefer some good old simple games like arcade classics assuming he's played any of them. PacMan, Space Invaders, Centipede, Galaga etc.
I'm sure some anons here could make a good list.
>>
Castle of the Winds, asap
>>
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/puzzles/
>>
>>3276383
I could never beat that game.
>>
File: Kye.png (4 KB, 482x379) Image search: [Google]
Kye.png
4 KB, 482x379
>>
File: rodents_revenge.png (2 KB, 278x352) Image search: [Google]
rodents_revenge.png
2 KB, 278x352
>>
>>3278725
You don't win, you just do a little bit better each time
>>
>>3276326
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Low_end_computer_games
>>
>>3280721
This is Skifree, not Reparations. Just push F and outski the snowman.
>>
>>3276326
Buy him a new laptop. XP is outdated rubbish.
>>
File: xp is good.png (104 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
xp is good.png
104 KB, 1024x768
>>3282346
>>
File: qov-9.png (96 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
qov-9.png
96 KB, 1280x800
Castle of the Motherfuckin' Winds

Or, as my mature 12 year old self called it, Fort of the Farts
>>
>>3282395
mynigga
>>
Get an emulator or two. Hook em up with some Advance Wars
>>
>>3276409
This, a thousand times this. They're good games.
Install all 4 Microsoft Entertainment packs.
They work on all 32 bit versions of Windows still, including 10.
A lot of the games people who usually just play things like solitair can still pick up with ease. And thats one of the biggest things for older folk, EASE.
>>
>>3276326
I have the complete windows entertainment pack as well as BOWEP. Do you want it ?
>>
Commandos
>>
>>3282217
Not a very long list. Doesn't even mention rollercoaster tycoon 1+2, transport tycoon deluxe/openttd, or even starcraft apparently.
>>
>>3276326
If he's an old git who wants slow turn based games you might try some sim games.

>>3276383
UNDERAGE
N
D
E
R
A
G
E
>>
>>3276326
is there any way to force Chips challenge to run bigger? its locked at 640x480 or whatever the window size is
>>
>>3283681
compatibility settings, enable 640x480 mode
>>
Tetris

Sim City (did they ever port back the SNES version w/ UI improvements?)

Snood, Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-Move, Zuma, Bookworm, Bejeweled... my mom likes lots of Popcap games. (Most of these aren't technically /vr/ but they are old-people friendly.)

Some type of poker game, blackjack. Old dudes are familiar with card games and they're turn based and can be played slow.

Board game ports, like Risk, Scrabble, Boggle. ~40 y.o. seem to like Civilization, dunno if it still holds true for ~65 year olds.

Possibly the Sims, but that's more of a girl game. Pokemon or Advance Wars, but that's "complicated" to launch and play (for an old) and may be too kiddy feeling. Diablo/Starcraft/Doom are 'real' games and might be too hardcore for him. Maybe some point-and-clicks, they're a lot more accessible in the age of easy youtube playthroughs.
>>
>>3282395
Fuck I miss XP. SP3 was the last perfect Windows. 7 is great but as a barebones, low resource Windows it's not as good.

Microsoft should've just made a rolling release XP for low resources and 10 for the plebs. I'd pay full retail price for an XP equivalent. No fucking metro or tablet shit.
>>
>>3282916
>A lot of the games people who usually just play things like solitair can still pick up with ease. And thats one of the biggest things for older folk, EASE.
I think if you get to that point where you have literal dementia, you have bigger problems to worry about than video games.
>>
>>3284468
>>3284431
65 really isn't even that old. You make it sound like his dad is 85.
>>
>>3284505
Shit, I'm not a gerontologist. I'm just throwing out a few guesses here.
>>
>>3284508
Come on, 65 is late middle age, it's not elderly or close to it. People in their 80s are elderly. OP's dad isn't some fragile dementia patient in a diaper.
>>
>>3284431
>did they ever port back the SNES version
fortunately not. That thing is all kinds of fucked up
>>
>>3284459
just use pos 2009 trick m8 so you still recieve security updates for windows xp until 2019
>>
>>3276428
holy shit i remember this
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.