[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I'm dumb and impulsive and I bought an SNES and Yoshi's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11
File: SNES.jpg (4 MB, 5472x2840) Image search: [Google]
SNES.jpg
4 MB, 5472x2840
So, I'm dumb and impulsive and I bought an SNES and Yoshi's Island. I've never owned an original SNES and I honestly haven't played any games on the original hardware (I played mostly GBA and DS ports).

But since I've already paid up for it, what games should I get now? Big nintendo fanboy, but I feel I should branch out and check out games published by other companies for the SNES.

I'm willing to spend up to about 50 bucks for a real good game, but anything rarer than that seems out of my price range.

Just wondering what games are must haves. I couldn't find a /vr/ FAQ.
>>
Flash Cart Adventure 2: The Return
>>
Obvious answer, but pick up Super Mario World and All Stars.

You can get them both on the same cart for like 30 bucks or so.
>>
>>3274979
>I'm willing to spend up to $50
Chinese Super Everdrive
>>
OP, you probably made a good purchase there. But trust me. Don't try to collect for SNES, you'll go broke in no time.

What you need to do now is get a SNES flashcart/everdrive so you can play ROMs on the actual hardware. It'll let you play most of the library on the original hardware for a fraction of the cost. You won't regret it.

Actually, getting Yoshi's Island may have been a really smart move. I don't know how many flashcarts support SuperFX games. FYI, I know Super Mario RPG is in high demand because it's the one game no flashcarts can run.
>>
>>3275115
>I don't know how many flashcarts support SuperFX games
None of them do.
>>
goof troop is good
>>
Pretty much any capcom or konami game
>>
>>3275038
>>3275049
Har har har. I'll look into it though.

>>3275045
Oh awesome. Obvious yeah, but I didn't realize you could get them on the same cart.

>>3275138
I'll look for it. Probably buy the extra controller.

>>3275115
Thanks for the in-depth answer. Looking at the cost of some of the really in demand stuff is pretty out there. I'll look into Everdrives, I didn't know this was an thing for real hardware.

By the way, my friend so far recommended I get Gradius and Super R-type, but that's about it.
>>
>>3275409
>>3275045
not trying to be an elitist /vr/ asshole but i really don't like the snes ports of smb 1 & 3. i like the graphics but the controls aren't quite as responsive for me and it really throws me off.
>>
>>3275409
If you don't like all stars then you certainly won't like super r type and gradius 3 as they are pretty shitty ports. You want r-type 3 and super aleste
>>
>>3274979
Terri's Attack, Top Gear 2, Lion King are all good, super cheap games, but if you are looking forward for the must haves be prepared to shell out some dough.
>>
>>3275457
>>3275448
Well, I've never played the original R Type and Gradius.

I'm excited to try All-Stars (mainly for the original Super Mario Bros. and Lost Levels).
>>
>>3275461
Haha, Tetris Attack, right? I was confused.

I think I actually saw Lion King at the shop today. I'll snag a copy.
>>
>>3274979
>So, I'm dumb and impulsive
DONT SAY BAD THINGS TO URSELF!!! IS BAD FOR SELF ESTEEM!! ONLY GOOD THINGS!!
>>
>>3275919
Can he say bad things about fucktards who type retarded shit in all caps?
>>
>>3275962
be less mad friendo
>>
>>3275972
no u
Not even made friendo. Just making fun of the tard
>>
File: 256px-Inindo_boxart[1].jpg (19 KB, 256x187) Image search: [Google]
256px-Inindo_boxart[1].jpg
19 KB, 256x187
Pic related
>>
>>3275115
Get a flashcart and buy the unsupported gaems. Don't bother with a sd2snes.
>>
As for flash carts, are these only available online?
>>
File: 1457525445099.jpg (492 KB, 2085x1510) Image search: [Google]
1457525445099.jpg
492 KB, 2085x1510
>>3276227
>>
>>3278368
I've seen a couple pop up on craigslist in my area in the last year or so. You could post a want ad, and see if anyone comes out of the woodwork.
>>
street fighter ii for snes retails at like €25 so get that if you dont own it on anything else
>>
How much did they cost?
>>
>>3278368
Yeah, unless you get lucky with Craigslist like >>3278379 did. Keep in mind they're not the most legal things ever.

If you want a cheap flashcart, Aliexpress is the way to go.
>>
Hagane, Megaman x3, Harvest Moon, Wild Guns, E.V.O: Search for Eden, Metal Warriors and Fun n Games all need to be your top priority. Oh and Earthbound too.

actually, the real funny thing is that Earthbound is a cheaper game then everything on that list, save one.
>>
>>3274979
How much u paid op
Get super star wars
>>
>>3275409
>Har har har. I'll look into it though
I wasn't joking. As someone who just picked up a SNES for the first time you'd be dumb not to get a flash cart ASAP. You'll want a game to play while you wait for the shipping but you've got Yoshi's Island. If that's not enough, then I'd say just grab a $4 copy of SMW. Play the All-Stars ports off your Everdrive if you must while you build up $200 for an AV Famicom and an N8 Everdrive

>>3275138
It blew my mind that Resident Evil started out as Goof Troop
>>
>>3279038
I'll order an Everdrive tonight, just seems weird paying 80 bucks for something so shady. I am just afraid I'll get something that just doesn't work. So, they are illegal? That makes sense, but with people making shit like the Retron, I thought it was like, public domain or something.

>>3279030
>>3278781
My friend says I got ripped off. 80 for the SNES and 40 for the game. I bought it at a brick and mortar store though, so it is to be expected. They are pristine at the very least. Oh shit, Super Star Wars is the best. I need that.

>>3278737
There are like a billion SF2s for the SNES, aren't there? Which one?

>>3278963
Haha, Jesus. I appreciate the game suggestions, but yeah, I'll see if I can cart.
>>
I just bought a Super Gameboy. Hopefully that wasn't a waste.
>>
Super Star Wars is a golden title (literally) if you don't mind gitting gud
>>
>>3274979
>its a "whats the best game for x system guys?" thread again
>>
>>3279750
I admittedly never have been on this board before I made this thread and the lists I found online were either of expensive games or of games that every knows about.
>>
Donkey Kong Country for sure
>>
>>3279752
>Somehow everyone knows about the good games for one of the most popular consoles of all time that is by far the most popular with LPers
Unbelievable, amirite?!?!?
>>
>>3276241
I've got this in Japanese mint boxed new

worth anything?
>>
>>3279328
>There are like a billion SF2s for the SNES, aren't there? Which one?
turbo or championship
you might get cart only for a few dollars
>>
>>3274979
get an everdrive. the only good games it doesnt support are starfox yoshi island and mario rpg.
>>
Well, I ordered an Everdrive. Thanks. It is pretty pricey, but looking at the cost of the games at my local used retro game shop, it should pay off quick.
>>
>>3279328
You should only pay about $50-$60 for a Chinese Super Everdrive on AliExpress. They're not illegal it's the ROMs that are illegal but the Everdrive itself doesn't come with any ROMs.
>>
>>3280071
I guess I fucked up. I bought a Super Everdrive from a US company and paid 100 or so (additional cost for like, having a shell and SD game).
>>
>>3280104
It'll be a better quality anyway.
>>
>>3280132
That's good to hear.
>>
>>3280132
>fooling yourself this much
>>
Do yourself a favor and, if you aren't getting an everdrive, clip those two tabs so you can play SFC games. Then but Japanese versions of any Non-text heavy game.
>>
>>3280598
>looking up Super Metroid on Super Famicom
>10 dollars at most, even decent shipping rates
>Decide it's not a priority, get other things first
>Come back a month later
>It's now between 25-40 dollars
>I might as well just buy the fucking US version

Shit's gay
>>
Is there any console, without any Internet connection?

a console without the internet.

with only local multiplayer (from the same console)

without peripherals for internet
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 273x185) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 273x185
Cheap RPG, it can be insanely frustrating from the get go but youll get used to it. The soundtrack is absolutely amazing.
>>
>>3281816
>>3276241
>>3275461
>>3278963
I really appreciate some of these less than obvious suggestions. I will keep them in mind.
>>
>>3279328
>My friend says I got ripped off. 80 for the SNES and 40 for the game.

Depends on condition though, did the SNES come with multiple controllers? How much yellowing is visible on it? If Yoshi's Island was cartridge only though I'd say you got ripped off there.

Anyways, as for games... Super Mario World's a must-have. Decent game that can be picked up for about $20.

Super Star Wars is fun, but it's a little challenging. Its equally-priced sequels have a password system but they're a bit harder.

F-Zero can also be picked up for around the same price, as can be Plok, a fun Rayman-like platformer that is around just as much.

Honestly a lot of the greatest SNES games everyone knows about are in the $20-$35 price range, but some of the lower priced ones in that range I'd recommend you check out include Star Fox, Kirby's Dream Course, and Donkey Kong Country 1-2. There's also Super Mario All-Stars, a remaster of the Mario NES trilogy + Lost Levels if you're a fan of those games.
>>
>>3281891
No yellowing, one controller though. And yeah, it was just the cart. I just remembered I also bought another game (PS1), so it wasn't actually 40. I just misremembered.

I am definitely getting Super Star Wars. I dunno where I played that game, but I played it a bunch as a kid.
>>
>>3282173
Well I guess that's not too bad if there's no yellowing on it. This site: https://www.pricecharting.com/console/super-nintendo is pretty good for checking the average prices of retro games, so I believe it could be of use.

Congrats on your purchase OP.
>>
I'm asking seriously here, not trying to start any shit. I just want to know some of your opinions or points of view.

My question is, why would you go through all of the trouble to buy an old system and an $80 flash cart just to do the same thing you can do for free with a PC or laptop? Hell, you can just run a video cable to the TV from the PC if you want, I do that all the time.

You can even get USB controllers that very much resembles the original SNES controller.

You aren't even buying the games, you are still just downloading the same ROMs that I'm playing on the PC when using one of those flash carts.

Is it just because you like looking at the SNES sitting in your entertainment center?
>>
>>3282798
Personally i only fuck with original carts. But i got a super famicom and a genesis instead of super nintendo, so games are a lot cheaper. Also a super gameboy. Been able to get great deals on games, nothing i have cost more than 20
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>3282798
Me and a friend are going to a retro game convention in July and I thought it would be pretty sad to have gone through all that only to window shop. I had wanted to get like a Retron, but everyone told me they are plagued with issues and are essentially the worst of both worlds. So, I got an SNES because I figured, this way if I discover something at the convention or find a good deal, I would have something to play it on. I figured it would be the first step in building a collection.

My original intention WAS to have a collection. As for the flash cart, after posting this thread, I did some research and looked around. Games are expensive and people overcharge. It makes sense, but my local shop has Super Mario World for 20 bucks. 20 bucks! What the fuck? The people in this thread convinced me. I realized that I would be burning money by impulsively buying any good game. I decided I'd get a flash cart for games I can't find at a reasonable price. I still WANT to collect physical games, but this way I have a fallback for games that are must-plays but are simply not within the budget.

As for why I wanted a physical console rather than just playing ROMs and skipping the convention, playing a game on PC (even hooked up to a TV) is a completely different experience to me. If I am on a computer, I am in a different mindset. I am on 4chan, I am playing my PC games, I am in and out. I can't just sit and play a game on a computer for hours on end the way I can on a dedicated console. It is obviously a personal thing and I can't fault anyone for thinking that is ridiculous, it is the same game right? But I have no elitism and pretension when it comes to this, I like playing games on a dedicated games machine.

And yes, it is kind of nice seeing an SNES on my desk. I do want to remind you that the first sentence of this thread was "I am dumb and impulsive".
>>
File: 14655670207301061863366.jpg (618 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
14655670207301061863366.jpg
618 KB, 2560x1440
>>3282867
Import gameboy stuff can be pretty cheap too. Paid 7 bucks for both (jap versions) fyi gb is region free
>>
>>3282798
>USB Controller
Lag.
>>
File: 1465567670603-1471649249.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1465567670603-1471649249.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>3282868
You only fucked up by not getting the import console. Pic related with 2 controllers cost me 50 shipped from japan. And another 10 for a japanese
super gameboy.
>>
File: 1463301974926.jpg (46 KB, 627x480) Image search: [Google]
1463301974926.jpg
46 KB, 627x480
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2
Megaman X 1-3
Gradius 3
Contra 3
A Link to the Past
FLASHBACK
Super R-Type
Mario All-Stars w/ SMW
Doom
Tetris Attack w/ Dr.Mario
and that's all you need sempai
>>
just buy everdrive or something similar
lots of great snes games out there
>>
>>3282868
I mean, don't get me wrong. Im 37 and the nostalgia is strong for a lot of these games and systems. However, I find that after I play them for a little bit, the nostalgia starts to subside and I can move on again. Doesn't mean I won't go back at some point though.

I'm actually in the beginning stages of building an arcade cabinet. However, most of those games are only available through emulation. So I have the PC and X arcade Tank Stick. I just need to get going on the cabinet I finish up a couple of other home projects. It's definitely happening this year and hopefully before the summer is over.
>>
>>3282894
ew
>>
File: 1457403960177.jpg (5 KB, 270x200) Image search: [Google]
1457403960177.jpg
5 KB, 270x200
>>3282894
>snes doom
>>
File: nba jizam.jpg (117 KB, 640x878) Image search: [Google]
nba jizam.jpg
117 KB, 640x878
Im gonna give you 2 games in the following genres

>Platformer
Super Mario World
Castlevania X
>Sports
NHL 94
Super Soccer
>Fighting
Street Fighter II
Super Punch Out
>Beat em ups
Turtles in Time
Final Fight 3
>Shumps
UN Squadron
Gradius 3 (or Contra 3)
>RPG
Final Fantasy 3
Ogre Battle
>Other
Gemfire (strategy)
Stunt Race FX (racing)
Zombies ate my Neigbors (fun co op)
Kirby Superstar (fun co op)
Super Batter Up (gotta have 1 baseball game)
I'd give my left nut for that collection.
>>
>>3283073
Forreal senpai. But how about snes wolfenstein
>>
>>3274979
Well, you already got Yoshi's Island. So:
>Starfox
Get it as a cart. After all, it's a Super FX game too and won't work with a flash cart.
>Super Metroid
One of the very best games on the SNES. Sidescrolling Shooter/Plattformer/Adventure game/Whatever. There is a reason its a genre is named after it.
>The Legend of Zelda
You said you are a Nintendo fanboy, so this should be a no brainer.
>F-Zero
Just get it, seriously, if you only so slightly like racing games, get it! Piece of art.
>Super Street Fighter 2
The get-go fighting game here.
>Rock'n'Roll Racing
Made by the company we know as Blizzard today. Top-down racing game set in the future. Really cool soundtrack for a SNES game, i recommend you look at YouTube if that might interest you (or simply try the rom).
>Donkey Kong Country
Again, Nintendo fanboy? Like plattformers? Just get it.
>Donkey Kong Country 2
See DKC +1.
>Donkey Kong Country 3
Not as essential as 1 and 2, but still a great game, just a bit different.
>Fatal Fury Special
For fighters on SNES everybody always only thinks of Street Fighter, but personally, I like FF even a bit more. Special is basically just FF2 with more characters.
>Super Mario All-Stars
All three NES Marios, plus the original Japanese SMB2 (Lost Levels) in one. What's not to love?
>Pilotwings
Flying game for all kinds of sometimes strange aircraft, not as "advanced" as its 64 successor, but I always loved it. I'd recommend the same as for R'n'R Racing, look for a gameplay video or just try it out via rom, it's worth it.
>Sim City
Its bare bones and kid of "primitive" compared to a lot of new(er) city builders, but none of them comes even close to the charm of the SNES version of the first, not even the PC version.
>Super Mario World
THE quintessential SNES game, like Super Mario 64 for the N64 or Super Mario Bros.3 for the NES, it's not the full SNES experience without this game.
>Super Mario Kart
Start of a cult series, holds up to this day. Must have. +1 with a friend.
>>
>>3283814
Forgot to add:
Starfox, F-Zero and Pilotwings shouldn't be too expensive yet if you still want to collect physical copies. (Got all 3 for 10 bucks each a few weeks/months ago)
>>
File: 1425622037936.jpg (48 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
1425622037936.jpg
48 KB, 709x765
>>3275115
>Don't try to collect for SNES, you'll go broke in no time.
This
>tfw bought ALttP for 60+ yurobucks since it was the only english cart on ebay in good condition
That was the fourth game I bought and where I stopped collecting. I guess NTSC carts probably cost less since more of them were sold back in the day, but still if you don't want to spend a shitton of money either get yourself a flashcart or softmod a Wii.
>>
My area's store is actually pretty fair on SNES prices. They typically under-sell compared to eBay. I'm not sure if it was to bring in collectors or because the old man store owner just didn't know. They have like 10 copies of ALttP for $35 each and most good SNES stuff they sell is between $35-$55 (Final Fantasy games, MegaMan X) for things in lower quantity and $15-$20 (Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country) for games they're up to their eyeballs in. It's how I got Earthbound for a not retarded price. While not ideal, nothing new coming out is peaking my interest, so occasionally buying something there is fine with me. I still troll garage sales and flea markets for good deals.
>>
>>3284010
Nice!

>>3283814
Great list, thanks. I didn't even think of Rock n Roll Racing.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
If a post contains illegal content, please click on its [Report] button and follow the instructions.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need information for a Poster - you need to contact them.
This website shows only archived content and is not affiliated with 4chan in any way.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 1XVgDnu36zCj97gLdeSwHMdiJaBkqhtMK