[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk light gun games. What's your favorite one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13
File: hotd.jpg (111 KB, 968x720) Image search: [Google]
hotd.jpg
111 KB, 968x720
Let's talk light gun games.

What's your favorite one?
>>
>>3274213
Time Crisis.
>>
Virtua cop 2/time crisis 2
>>
Shooting Gallery/Wanted on the Master System
>>
Time Crisis, although House of the dead comes close with its pretty nice graphics
>>
Is house of the dead the perfect lightgun game?

>branching paths
>all kinds of civilians to save
>amazing dialogue
>cool bosses
>>
File: LovingDeads.png (851 KB, 601x685) Image search: [Google]
LovingDeads.png
851 KB, 601x685
>>3274483
*house of the dead 2

The first house of the dead is a bit of a quarter muncher in my opinion. Love almost everything else about it though.
>>
>>3274489
It still pains me that we still have no home port of HotD EX. Sure I know it's a 1 on 1 relationship compatibility game, but it's too bizarre not to get a wide release of some sort.
>>
>>3274213
The Jurassic Park one was pretty fun
>>
>>3274524
Sega needs to get on top with their shit. They've got so many good lightgun games and the PS4 is just SITTING there with both the dualshock 4 and the PS move as options.
>>
>>3274540
Bandai Namco should also bring Time Crisis 5 to the PS4
>>
File: hotd_spec.jpg (84 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
hotd_spec.jpg
84 KB, 720x960
>>3274213

Not retro, but recently had a holiday to Surfers Paradise where there is a Timezone, and played this beauty. It had a hydraulic carriage you sat in & it spun it quickly back and forth between 2 screens.

Was the coolest evolution for a gun game. Too bad it was $5/play :(
>>
File: dark-escape-4d.jpg (101 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
dark-escape-4d.jpg
101 KB, 720x960
>>3274213

They also had this one there. I'd never heard of it before. It's like an even darker version of HOTD where you wear 3D glasses. Lots of jump scares.
>>
My personal favorite was GOLLY GHOST! The backdrop was an physical model replica of a house, and through digital projection, ghosts would pop out from closets, under the bed, out of the fridge, and even the damn toilet. I haven't played it in years, but I remember it being a ton of laughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnK9t0ebiV8
>>
File: razing_memes.jpg (111 KB, 812x456) Image search: [Google]
razing_memes.jpg
111 KB, 812x456
>>3274213
I love Time Crisis: Razing Storm since it's basically a cheesy 80s action movie. The PS3 port was panned because it had a shit Adventure mode but Arcade mode plays perfectly. Check it out.
>>
>>3274213
Carnevil
>>
>>3274818
I almost cleared Razing Storm on one coin once, but the last stage fucked me. The place that I played it at removed the machine, too.
>>
>>3274213
Duck Hunt followed by Hogan's Alley, Wild Gunman, Barker Bill's Trick Shooting, Target Reload, Big Buck Hunter (series), The House of the Dead (series), and Police 911 (series). Ghost Squad and Time Crisis (series) are also up there.
>>
>>3274818
razing storm is just a shittier crisis zone where you shoot sandniggers
>>
>>3276018
This. The dodge mechanic is really lame.
>>
>>3274213
The most distinctive thing about HOTD that nobody ever seems to mention is the level of detail in shooting different limbs/body parts. It's so detailed for a fucking lightgun shooter, and it's sad that the 3rd and 4th games lacked this feature. It was very satisfying to shoot a zombie's shoulder and see it cave-in, and then shoot it again so that his arm comes off. And every zombie reacts differently.

>>3274489
HOTD 2 is objectively a bigger quarter muncher than HOTD 1 though. It has much less health packs, and requires much more saved civilians to gain one, and also has far more bosses (which isn't bad thing but still). Not that any of this matters with home ports/emulation anyway.
>>
File: 61300402.jpg (293 KB, 850x1104) Image search: [Google]
61300402.jpg
293 KB, 850x1104
>they never ported this to anything

Feels bad. it's so fucking good especially when you play it on the real arcade cabinet.
>>
File: 15733_front.jpg (137 KB, 640x1266) Image search: [Google]
15733_front.jpg
137 KB, 640x1266
Only the best.
>>
>>3276492
I wonder how difficult it would be to make a homebrew PC port, or perhaps a dedicated emulator for the hardware.
MIPS to x86 JIT dynamic recompiler to run the engine, and then intercept the 3dfx Glide calls and map them to OpenGL functions to do the 3D rendering?

On a modern PC, Carnevil runs fine in MAME, but its still inefficient software rasterization and the occasional stutter.
>>
>>3274569
I quarter-fed all the way through this with a friend. Really well-done, it's like HOTD mixed with one of those "4D" virtual rides. There's a bit where a jagged piece of metal or something points directly at your eyeball, seemingly just inches away, that made me cringe something serious.
>>
>>3276554
There really shouldn't be anything stopping them from releasing a steam or GOG variant

Sometimes I wonder why many arcade games still lay unported, yet just about anyone with enough knowledge in computers could probably port them or at least re-code them to modern hardware. Maybe it's just financial bullshit, they figure if it doesn't make enough money, it shouldn't exist... which is dumb
>>
>>3274524
I was surprised it didn't come to Wii after HOTD2&3.
>>
I am trying to remember a 2 player lightgun arcade cab that was like a pixel version of HOTD. I particularly remember you enter your initials at the beginning and start in a graveyard, then one of the graves you hide behind ha your initial on it.
>>
>>3274213
Crisis Zone, Ghost Squad.
>>
File: zr10.png (362 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
zr10.png
362 KB, 640x400
>>3277678
Zombie Raid, from Sammy.
>>
>>3276490

I wasted months and countless hundreds of dollars but now I can 1cc HOTD2 every time.

>you could've learned a real skill
>>
>>3276490
Even still, House of the dead 2 is much more fair than house of the dead 1. 1 has too many bullshit moments where a zombie pops out of nowhere so quickly and just takes one of your hearts away. That and the final boss is just insane.
>>
File: Revolution-X_cabinet.jpg (23 KB, 214x320) Image search: [Google]
Revolution-X_cabinet.jpg
23 KB, 214x320
I threw so many goddamned allowances worth of quarters into this son' bitch. You could blow up about everything on screen; it was heaven!
>>
>>3277925
Nah man HOTD2 is harder. You literally fight the boss of HOTD as a boss BEFORE the final boss. And neither of them take no shit.
>>
>>3277936
I find him easier in HOTD2 for some reason.
>>
What's the less bad option to use a lightgun on PC with a modern monitor? I understand modern guns are pretty much mouses, but can you even turn the distracting cursor off? Every retard on youtube plays with that shit on and that absolutely misses the point.
>>
>>3277940
I imagine that the majority of people playing arcade lightgun games on an emulator or Wii lightgun games don't know that there exist games where you actually have to aim like a real gun and don't move a reticule around like a mouse.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 841x1096) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 841x1096
Police 911 no contest
>>
>>3274213
House of the Dead 2.
Also it has the best acted dialogue of any game.
>>
>>3274213
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZs1LSgsSU
>>
Chiller!

Very violent for an old game, maybe even by todays standards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwM8wCXlHjk
>>
>>
File: 1826902.jpg (268 KB, 850x1113) Image search: [Google]
1826902.jpg
268 KB, 850x1113
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZbV8VHmKtA
>>
You already posted it. Also worth mentioning is Time Crisis and VC2.

Does Police 911 count?
>>
>>3277674
>HotD EX
>Wii
Nah, the Wii couldn't handle it. The Lindbergh is more powerful than any 6th gen console
>>
File: img_3841.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
img_3841.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
I enjoyed police academy trainer. I don't klnow why but hitting the targets in all those minigames felt so awesome.

Maximum Force was cool.

Atrea 51 takes the cake however becuase when it first came on the arcade floor., it started out at .50 for one credit. Which compared to the other gun games at the time Time crisis one, Lethal Enforcers, and Virtual Cop which where a 1.00 for a credit.
Since mom would only give us 2.00 each for the arcades on friday at the mall. Area 51 was the best way to maximize my play time with fake guns.
Then when it dropped to .25 for a credit, there were so many times I dual wielded those bitches.
also FMV>"3D"
>>
>>3274213
>What's your favorite one?

If I had to mention one that isn't in the usual suspects category, I'd say that japanese light gun game where you're a police man and there are lasers on all sides of the cabinet that track your position.
>>
>>3278219
That's Police 911 and also not retro, but is absolutely fucking amazing. I'll allow it.
>>
>>3278216

Fuck, I miss the 90's art style all over those cabinets. Actually, I miss the 90's all together. Everything was just over the top.
>>
>>3278269
police 911
i think it's also called Tokyo Cop in Asia
>>
Used to dump tons of cash into Virtual Cop in the mid 90's.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.