[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm confused about Mega Man's name. In Japan, his
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: rock and roll.jpg (15 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
rock and roll.jpg
15 KB, 256x240
I'm confused about Mega Man's name.

In Japan, his name is "Rock". And then he dons the name "Rock Man" when he fights crime right?

The intro to MM4 calls him "Rock" and says that he changed to "Mega Man". But nothing else since ever calls him "Rock". Not official sources, or anything. So is he "Rock", "Mega" or "Mega Man" ?
>>
You're so confused that you made me confused.
>>
He's whatever they felt like calling him at the time.
>>
His name was Rock before he became Mega Man.
>>
>>3273739

Is that currently canon? I've only seen it referred to in the MM4 intro.
>>
File: ROCK.jpg (1 MB, 2816x2112) Image search: [Google]
ROCK.jpg
1 MB, 2816x2112
>>3272918
Why do you assume hes talking about mega man? They're talking about the other rock.
>>
File: ignorant_babby_award.gif (59 KB, 1000x1192) Image search: [Google]
ignorant_babby_award.gif
59 KB, 1000x1192
>>3272918
>>
This has always been cannon in terms of the Japanese story line. The US manual at least for Mega Man (1) changed things like Wily and Light making Mega Man together. Once 4 came out it retconned the story line to match that he did indeed start off as Rock and that has been the story since. It's not mentioned in any game since given it really doesn't matter anymore. You only need to tell an origin story once (unless it's Batman then you need to watch the poor Wayne parents die more often than any other characters in media). Most subsequent stories have zero (lol Zero) links to Mega Man's back story when he was Rock.
>>
>>3273837
Autism at its finest ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>3273848
Wasn't he called "Mega" in Mega Man: Powered Up? Anyway, Capcom has always been inconsistent when it comes to localization.
>>
who would win a fight megaman or eggman
>>
>>3273837
no woman will ever love you anon
>>
>>3272918
His name is Rockman and his friends call him Rock like Princess Toadstool's casual name is Peach. In Japan people have different names they'll be called that indicates the person's relationship to them. Generally it's just suffixes but some people have nicknames.
>>
>>3273784
In Megaman Powered Up they say his name was Mega.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.