[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Strider 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: strider2-coverpsxu.jpg (61 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
strider2-coverpsxu.jpg
61 KB, 500x500
Just picked this up the other day. I like the sprite work and mechanics a lot but I'm glad I didn't pay eBay prices because it's pretty short especially considering it has infinite continues. What does /vr/ think of this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_fNwHLZ5h4
>>
Yo try getting an A rank in every mission and finishing in one credit (no continues) if you want a challenge.
>>
You know how everyone Marvel Vs Capcom and was like, man, they should really make a strider game using these sprites.
And then they made this and in order to get it to run on the ps they had to go with tiny snes sized sprites on fugly 3D backgrounds running at 30fps and everyone was like OH

OHHHHHH
>>
>>3270874
So there's no S Rank?
>>
>>3270830
It's a really fun game but yeah not worth what it's going for now. You can force yourself to not use infinite continues to extend the gameplay, but once you get pretty good you wont have to continue at all.

It's not necessarily that much shorter than a typical 2D action game, but the way the levels are broken up into such short segments makes it feel shorter. I'm not a huge fan of how its structured and wish there were more large, open levels to take advantage of Hiryu's abilities.
>>
>>3270883
I think there is. I don't know, it's been a while.
>>
>>3270882
I think the sprites scale depending on the scene.
>>
File: Strider_Hiryu.gif (30 KB, 111x90) Image search: [Google]
Strider_Hiryu.gif
30 KB, 111x90
>>3270891
Now compare that pixelated shit to Marvel Vs Capcom.
>>
File: tong.png (1 MB, 5120x3840) Image search: [Google]
tong.png
1 MB, 5120x3840
>>3270906
>>
I liked the game especially that radiant silvergun like look of 2D meshed with 3D. Great arcade action game. Though the game is way too forgiving imo. The prices tho aren't worth it. Emulate it, play it on PSN, or burn it.
>>
The real challenge is the 1CC, because it is extremely easy to get hit in the game. You have to be a real ninja to dodge all the shit coming at you constantly.

However, the game is made easier by
1) enabling auto-fire in the options (unless you like mashing the attack button - I do, sometimes!)
2) learning the special move, which is Jump, Up, Down+attack or something like that (maybe jump, up, down, up+attack? I can't remember). This fucks up bosses big time.

The "exclusive" level for the PS1 version (which is only unlocked after beating the game) is pretty lame - it is likely the demo/debug level they made to test out the movement and mechanics, because it is reaaaally rough, and the boss fight goes on forever. It's worth checking it out once or twice, but you might as well skip it for the 1CC.

I really like the game and its predecessor, and it's a good thing you didn't pay whacko bucks for it.
>>
>>3271920
How's the PS one Classics version on PS3?
>>
>>3270830

It was designed to be an arcade quarter-muncher, so the short length makes sense. Truth be told, I'm kinda surprised it even got a console release.
>>
>>3271609
tong poo?
>>
I want to get this on the Playstation Store, but I don't know if it'll come with the Strider 1 game like the PS1 disc does.
>>
>>3272208
It does.
>>
>>3272208
It does.
>>
>>3272216
>>3272217
Thanks.
>>
>>3270882
Yet it still looks better than the Arcade game. Art direction is hell of a thing.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.