[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sega Genesis gems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11
So I recently decided I was going to make it a life goal to get as complete of a Genesis collection as possible, but while I've done this I also am aware that it means a lot of shit and few gems. So in your experience what are gems I should be looking for in my quest for the system?

Already got the entire Sonic line for the system, all in box, complete.
>>
>>3264443
Anything with music by Yuzo Koshiro
>>
File: 1464634383310.gif (952 KB, 230x181) Image search: [Google]
1464634383310.gif
952 KB, 230x181
>>3264450
>Yuzo Koshiro
>Streets of Rage 2

Well looks like I'm already ahead of the curve on this one. Groovy as fuck game soundtrack.
>>
>>3264443
Landstalker, Beyond Oasis, Streets of Rage 2.
>>
>>3264443
Shadowrun
Castle of Illusion
Aladdin
Micro Machines
Virtua Racing
>>
Super Hang On is the best game on the genesis.
>>
>>3265652
Not the best, but it is really fun.
>>
>>3264443
Verytex
Burning force
Battlemania 2/ Trouble shooter 2
Shinobi 3

These are some games I enjoy playing on my genesis
>>
File: download (1).jpg (14 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
14 KB, 205x246
>>3264443
>a lot of shit and few gems
Cmon now.
>>
>>3264443
> I also am aware that it means a lot of shit and few gems

That applies for every console ever created, there are always more shit games than good ones.

Why can't you just collect the ones you like? I fucking hate the autists that buy everything just for the sake of it, I pity you.
>>
>>3265841
For the same reason you collect all of the items in any given game. Some people are just completionists. The quest to complete the collection is as enjoyable as the games themselves to them.
>>
>>3265847
Thats fucking retarded
>>
>>3265847
>some people are just delusional

Fix'd

Anyone that genuinely considers buying games that were never good to begin as any level of "enjoyable" is fucking psychotic

Why not just buy games you actually like? Seems like a huge waste of time and money. Like, what, are you going to sell it? Do you want "the biggest collection ever"? I don't get it.
>>
File: 1450462515487.jpg (92 KB, 728x426) Image search: [Google]
1450462515487.jpg
92 KB, 728x426
>>3265869
Assuming everyone enjoys the same shit as you, and is wrong not to, is childish. Grow the fuck up.

It's their money, let them blow it however the fuck they want to.
>>
>>3265874
Assuming he assumes everyone should enjoy the same shit he likes is equally so.

You're allowed to spend your money however, but that doesn't mean you couldn't have spent it better.
>>
Thunder Force series
>>
>>3265874
That is the thing, if they actually liked all games I would not mind.

But you have to be fucking retarded to be that, they are obviously obssesed sad people trying to fill their empty lives.

>>3265847
I only do that when I enjoy doing it, if its boring I don't do it just for the sake of it, that's why I only complete 100% a handful of games.

In many games only the main game is worth it.

For example in Super Mario 64 it was really fun collecting all the stars, I didn't do it "just to complete it" or for the fucking stupid reward Yoshi gives you, that's why I laughed instead of getting angry when they gave me 50 lives (was it 50) when there was nothing more to play.
>>
>>3265885
>Assuming he assumes everyone should enjoy the same shit he likes is equally so.

I was going to say you have a point. But you don't. He outright says he hates "autists" that do this. So clearly, he feels a need to fling insults at someone who is enjoying something he doesn't.

And yeah, there's always a better use for your money. Hobbies are very rarely a good use of time and resources.
>>
File: 1464964004442-1461634231.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1464964004442-1461634231.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>3265874
I collect shit too. But whats the point of having more games than you could ever play
>>
>>3265897
They don't enjoy it, they are obsessed.

It's called a disease
>>
>>3265897
>fling insults

It was meaningless ad-hominem. "Idiot" would have done the job just as well, and in all likelihood is what he meant.

You're on 4chan.

Get over yourself.

>Hobbies are very rarely a good use of time and resources.

So, you don't understand how it provides personal leisure? Do yourself a favour, go find a hobby you genuinely like.

For example, not collecting every single terrible game under the sun
>>
>>3265896
And I agree with you. I'm not a collector. But some people are into that. It's not just in games. Baseball cards, stamps, coins... There's no limit to the useless shit people will buy. Some people just feel a need to fill time while they wait to die. I mean, is searching flea markets and ebay for ultra rare games pepes really any worse than us sitting on vr talking about games, or sitting at a bar drinking the day away?
>>
>>3265909
That's more of a philosophical point, really. If you already have everything you want, I don't see why you couldn't buy random stuff.

But, who has owned and beaten every game they've ever wanted? Seems nigh impossible.
>>
>>3265907
>implying i'm a collector and not just white knighting

Do you not understand that hunting for the games to complete the fucker's collection is OPs idea of personal leisure? If he didn't enjoy it, he wouldn't be on here talking about it.

I emulate most of what I play. I spend my money at the local dives listening to live music. But I'm not going to shit all over someone for collecting something. If something exists, there's probably someone who's made a hobby of collecting it.
>>
>>3265916
You're not seeing that collecting is a meta game for the gaming hobby. It has a clear goal. (1 of everything) It is easy to get a list of all of the titles to check off as you find them. There's ego in a growing collection.

Again, it's not something I'm into, but I understand it.
>>
I don't mind COMPLETION collectors. Their autism helps fill my pockets.

Collectors help get roms and other shit like that out there too for legacy gaming so they have some use.

I'll never understand filling shelves with useless shit I'll never play or even look at though. "thank god i have lee trevinos fighting golf on the nes! now i can never look at or play it ever"

Collecting for non autists is limited to shit they'll actually bother with.
>>
>>3265909
For me it is, I enjoy talking with people about something I like, I could enjoy drinking (I don't, but its reasonable).

I can even understand collecting, because you like to have stuff you like, I just don't understand collecting stuff you don't actually like, I can't see it as other than a sort of mental disorder.

People even do it digitally today, they spend hundreds (thousands) in crafting Steam badges just to level up, they spend more money on that than in the games themselfs, of which they also have 4000 and played 100 at most, and half of those only an hour.

I can't help it, it makes me sad and angry, its not my problem, but is like when you see someone throwing their life away for no reason, and corporations take advantage and make themselfs rich because of this people that in my opinion don't know better.

I could be wrong, but that is how I think.
>>
>>3265935
Eh, people are people. When you have a surplus of resources, you find stupid ways to expend them. Look at the bright side. For the most part, vr collectors are dealing with independent businesses or private sales.
>>
>>3265920
>implying you're a collector

No, I said nothing of the sort. I use "you" and "they" interchangeably here, we're all anonymous, after all.

>Do you not understand hunting for the games to complete the fucker's collection is OPs idea of personal leisure?

Okay, and my point is that there's much more fun things to do with your time and money. If you want every shitty NES game ever made? Not my problem. I'm just going to remind you that you could have spent that money getting [insert pricey game here] on a console (or whatever) which you genuinely enjoy.

I'm calling the entire notion of the "completionist collector" into question.

>>3265926
>There's ego in a growing collection.

Sweet, I get to make this point now. You're never going to have the biggest collection, so what's the point?

Why be proud of that?
>>
>>3265926
>There's ego in a growing collection

Ego for spending money on garbage just to say you have it?

Wow, what an achievement, really anon, you really are a special snowflake now, I wish I could be as great as you, instead I just have a small collection of actual good games, I'm so incomplete... :(

Wait, I just remembered I don't fucking care, only AVGN-tier like people care, but at least he is en e-celeb and actually makes money and has fun with it making those reviews, so I still respect him, but you? You only let them there collecting dust.
>>
>>3265968
as opposed to spending money on a sports car that will still be restricted by speed limits. And okay. So your ego comes from the perceived quality of your collection. it's still ego. Why aren't you just emulating?

And what's with your reading comprehension? I said in that very post that I'm not into it. I'm just not going to tell other people how to enjoy their lives. If anything, that's an absense of ego. I have no fucks to give. fresh out. I just want everyone to enjoy themselves, in whatever form that takes.
>>
>>3265956
Sweet, I get to make this point now. You're never going to have the biggest collection, so what's the point?

I would assume that the quest is the point. Sometimes, you climb the mountain, simply because there is a mountain.
>>
I just picked up this Sega Genesis game thats says Blockbuster Championship on it. Anyone know if its any good?
>>
>>3265981
You buy a sports car you like, there is more to it than driving at max speed, nevertheless you can find roads to drive much faster.

>So your ego comes from the perceived quality of your collection. it's still ego. Why aren't you just emulating?

I don't collect for my ego (I don't collect actually, but not the point, its hypothetical), I collect because I like to have stuff I actually like (and use them of course).

Emulation is often inferior and it doesn't give you the same experience (even though I do emulate, but I understand people that don't like it), its a TECHNICAL reason.

>And what's with your reading comprehension? I said in that very post that I'm not into it. I'm just not going to tell other people how to enjoy their lives.

I thought it was obvious, but when I say "you" I mean the person that collects, we are all anons here it doesn't matter if you in particular do it.

I'm not gonna tell anyone what to do with their money, I just think that they are obsessed and don't actually enjoy collecting garbage, that is my whole point.
>>
NHL94
>>
.>>3265981
>So your ego comes from the perceived quality of your collection.

Or, instead of being egotistical over the size of your e-peen, you could just own games you like. And be proud of that.

Why be proud of owning games you don't like?

>>3265985
>Sometimes, you climb the mountain, simply because there is a mountain

Okay, but instead of buying stuff you don't like, you could go climb an actual mountain. Does that make any sense, or?
>>
>>3266126
I feel like I'm climbing a mountain with this discussion.

Look, people into the outdoors and rock climbing very well might climb a mountain. OP is into gaming, so he's collecting games. I'm sure he'll grab the titles he has an interest in first. As he collects and tries each, he'll find a few obscure titles that for some reason or another click with him. What's to say he won't play every single one of them at some point.There's 897 listed on Wikipedia. That includes all regions. I don't care enough to pull out the NA total. But even at that number, he could play a game a day and be done in 3 years. Even if it takes on average 4 days to complete a game, he could beat them all inside of 12 years. So assuming he's not on his deathbed, he's probably got time to try them all, and beat the ones he cares to.

I'd just emulate it. But to each their own.
>>
>>3266175
I suppose you can draw that distinction, though there would certainly be some overlap somewhere.

Point is, regardless of how many games he plays, he would only care to beat certain ones.

Why buy a game and not beat it? As you said, I would just emulate it.
>>
>>3264450
soundtrack changed my life
>>
File: 1of2.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
1of2.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
R8 my Genesis collection

Pic 1/2
>>
File: 2of2.jpg (748 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
2of2.jpg
748 KB, 2688x1520
>>3266390
Majority are games from my childhood. Many have come and gone that I regret letting go of.

Pic 2/2
>>
File: 1449195039698.jpg (9 KB, 251x217) Image search: [Google]
1449195039698.jpg
9 KB, 251x217
>>3265841

OP here

I just WANT to collect the whole library. There may be a lot of things I haven't seen and I feel the most affinity for the SEGA Genesis. I have an itch to want to have a "complete" library for the system.

I see nothing wrong with wanting to venture out more from what I'm already into. My personal collection of all the games I played as a kid for the system has been recreated, sans a copy of ToeJam and Earl that I still have yet to buy.

I don't see why you're up in arms over it anon, you're not going to be the one spending my money for the collection now are you?
>>
>>3266396
>herzog zwei
my nigga
>>
>>3266175
OP here again. I managed to have also collected a few others I didn't remember at first (Socket/Time Dominator for the Genesis), or one that is pretty cool but recommended by a buddy, which I think was Battlemech (or something similar: you use a mech in a top down setting).
>>
>>3266397
>itch

Okay, whatever makes you happy I suppose.
>>
>>3266409
It does, actually.
>>
>>3266403
Bought that at Media Play(remember those!) for something like ten bucks in the late 90s.
>>
>>3266418
Quite an overlooked game, and it's from Technosoft/Tecno Soft!
>>
>>3266417
...Yeah, I know.
>>
>>3266419
>quite an overlooked game
Very true! Never heard of it at the time. Picked it up because I liked the cover and price. Couldn't believe after playing it that something like Herzog Zwei came out in '88! Way ahead of its time.
>>
>>3266396
>dat 6 pak
All a nigga need.
>>
>>3266445
Growing up as a poorfag the 6pack was a godsend
>>
>>3267387
Still nothing beats 42-in-1 pirate cartridge for Famicom with classic good games (not the very best, but good ones).

Mappy, Star Force, Galaga, etc etc.
>>
>>3266424
Stop replying to yourself
>>
>>3264443
I've realized that my Genesis, since childhood, has largely been a Sonic machine. That said, there are some great games for it. Unfortunately, a lot of the "hidden gems" are expensive as fuck.

Mega Turrican, Ranger X, Sub-Terrania and Starflight are some good, lesser-known titles.
>>
>>3267416
Actually never heard of this. Sounds neat. Mappy is addicting as Fuck.

>>3267419
I'm not but do yourself a favor a try the game out for yourself. It's impressive for an early genesis title.
>>
>>3266390
Pretty solid.

The only real needs to make it well rounded I'd say are Kid Chameleon and Contra Hard Corps oh and maybe the Thunder Force games.

Also, I'll also rep the Herzog Zwei love. It's really quite amazing.
>>
File: 240px-DRMBM_Screenshot[1].png (72 KB, 240x168) Image search: [Google]
240px-DRMBM_Screenshot[1].png
72 KB, 240x168
guys lets play this
>>
Herzog Zwei for sure
Super Monaco GP
Shining Force 1 & 2
ESwat
Chaos Engine
Klax
Golden Axe
Warsong
Gaiaries
Revenge of Shinobi
Flashback
Ghouls n' Ghosts
Kid Chameleon
Strider
Mega Turrican
Road Rash 2
Speedball 2 (HELL YEAH)
Ecco the Dolphin
Contra Hard Corps
Landstalker
>>
>>3270132
Super Monaco GP is really interesting. Its physics are better than VirtuaRacing.
>>
File: 1464921862552.jpg (81 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1464921862552.jpg
81 KB, 1080x1080
>>3270038
This
>>
>>3269943
Would love Contra and Thunderforce but every copy I've seen lately has been way out of my price range. Some of these gen titles are getting really expensive.

also I never cared for Kid Chameleon ;_;
>>
File: 14602753830170.png (807 KB, 1600x2016) Image search: [Google]
14602753830170.png
807 KB, 1600x2016
hey anon, could you help me identify games on the pic provided?
>>
Adventures of Batman and Robin
>>
>>3264443
The Phantasy Star games
>>
>>3264443

My favorite games on the system:

Landstalker
Sonic 1
Warsong
Story of Thor/Beyond Oasis
Gunstar Heroes
Shining Force 2
Micro Machines Turbo Tournament '96
Dune 2
Mega Bomberman
Contra Hard Corps
>>
>>3265905
6pak is the best bang for your buck game on genesis, got so much value out of that.

Sonic 3 and knuckles is another good one beat both seperate then beat s3&k
>>
>>3273574
Streets of Rage
Story of Thor
Bonkers
Cannon Fodder
Comix Zone

Contra Hard Corps
Cool Spot
Desert Demolition(???)
Dune 2
Earthworm Jim

Earthworm Jim 2
???
???
Fifa
???

Jungle Strike
Lethal Enforcers(???)
???
???
??? (looks familar, can't remember though)

Micro Machines
Mortal Kombat 2
Mortal Kombat 3
Phantasy Star IV
Road Rage

Robocop
Rock 'n' Roll Racing
Samurai Showdown
Shining Force
???

Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic
???
Street Fighter 2
Syndicate

The Great Circus Mystery
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
???
???
Theme Park

Tiny Toons Acme All Stars Basketball
Toy Story
True Lies
WWF Royal Rumble
Zero Tolerance

How well did I do?
>>
>>3273896
>Earthworm Jim 2
>???
>???
>Fifa
>???

Greatest Heavyweights
Exo-Squad
General Chaos
>>
>>3273896
>Sonic 3D Blast
>Sonic
>???
>Street Fighter 2
>Syndicate

Skitchin'
>>
>>3273896
>The Great Circus Mystery
>The Lost World: Jurassic Park
>???
>???
>Theme Park
The Punisher
Dunno looks cool
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.