[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PSX COPY PROTECTION
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: timeformetoleave.jpg (26 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
timeformetoleave.jpg
26 KB, 500x375
Hi /vr/!

Any of you lads know any good places to get complete lists of what PSX games have copy protection? I am not sure if that one console copy link is full or not and also I am not sure how many games actually have protection.

It makes PSX emulation a little dodgy because sometimes I don't know if a game needs patched!

P.S.

ecm files r gay as fuck reee
>>
>3264395
No games need patching. Convert all your games into psp eboot files instead (Pbp) it offers better compression than ecm and is very widely accepted.
>>
>>3264414
>>3264416
ps1 whatever any of u guys know where i can find a comprehensive list thats been edited since 2002
>>
>>3264420
does this go for emulating ps1 games too? should i hunt down the eboot files rather than the original isos and just play on a psp emulator?
>>
>>3264431
Pbp files can be used in any good ps1 emulator. You do not have to play them on a psp. Look up popstation. It converts USPS/MDF/CCD or whatever files into eboots.
>>
>>3264439
shit man thanks a lot... this makes ps1 emulation so much easier, retro arch psx runs those eboot files fine and no messing around with fucking copy protection and dumbass ecm/cue problems

thanks man!
>>
>>3264439
just one more question

so any of the psx2psp eboots, copyright doesnt matter so for instance final fantasy etc?
>>
>>3264454
No it doesn't. Popstation extracts the files and repacks them and does not preserve any copy protection. Even in games notorious for their aggressive protection like Croc, Crash Bandicoot or Spyro.
>>
File: minorimad.gif (15 KB, 50x50) Image search: [Google]
minorimad.gif
15 KB, 50x50
>>3264478
i see

so generally, does the emulation community use eboots more than ps1 isos directly? isos have always been problematic with me especially trying to get some to work in retroarch it seems eboot simplifies the whole situation and emuparadise has 1300 of em
>>
>>3264484
Generally for ps1 games yeah. It compresses really well, removes padding and makes it easy to further compress audio and video into non standard containers. In addition to being widely supported.
>>
PSX copy protection doesn't really affect emulators, since the game thinks it's the real console. The only game I remember that has a related problem is Xenogears. When you fight the final boss of disc 1, there's a very good chance of the game freezing when he uses a specific attack. And it's almost obligatory to see this attack, just once.
>>
Lots of SNES games have detailed explanations of their copy protection mechanisms.

Would be interesting to read about such things in PS1
>>
http://consolecopyworld.com/psx/psx_protected_games.shtml
But it doesn't matter for emulators. At most you'll only need an .sbi file, and that's just for PAL libcrypt games.
And ReDump hosts .sbi files:
http://redump.org/disc/6147/sbi/
>>
What's wrong with cue+bin? I have the complete ntsc-u nointro set with that format, and never had a problem, either emulating or burning to play on a modded console.
>>
>>3267228
Nothing, but it doesn't include libcrypt info which some PAL games used, so you need to use an .sbi file with the .bin/.cue.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.