[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have only 10 seconds to think of an argument in favor of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: airplane.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
airplane.gif
2 MB, 400x225
You have only 10 seconds to think of an argument in favor of enemy respawn
>>
Tension.
>>
it's a video game.
>>
It's more convenient and ressource-saving than having to build monster closets.
>>
>>3263317
Really makes me think. I am now a #CruzMissile
>>
Difficulty. I think it should be mandatory for stealth games.
>>
farming
>>
>>3263310
Discouragement of loitering and blindly rushing about looking for secrets.
>>
causing PTSD.
>>
>>3263310
Does your game have some sort of EXP system or something like that?

That creates a double-edged scenario where respawning monsters become a boon and a hindrance all at the same time. I find that sort of dynamic neat.
>>
>>3263310
If the game requires any sort of backtracking through the levels as part of its mechanics, then it'd feel empty and inconsistently difficult without respawning enemies.
>>
>>3263310
Why not?
>>
>>3263310

more quarters
>>
>>3263310
Infinite ammo/score
>>
>>3263310

Roguelikes.
>>
>>3263580
Most new games have worked around that, so that if you're too overleveled in an area the EXP drops down to nothing.

Back then I think devs just knew that people weren't going to just stay in one spot.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.