[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is it that some N64 games have save files you can copy off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: n64 controller.jpg (72 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
n64 controller.jpg
72 KB, 500x667
why is it that some N64 games have save files you can copy off of the cartridge using a passport or other memory manager, but other games don't? How did games like Smash Bros. which does not have copy-capable memory, manage to save game data? And why does it not match up with games like Mario Tennis which did have copy-capable saves?
>>
>>3262917
Neat picture!

1. Designers chose to do it that way.
2. Internal battery powers the Cart so it saves data by never turning off the RAM that the save data is on. These batteries last quite a while depending on many factors.
3. Designers chose to do it that way.
>>
>>3262917
1. Because you're using the wrong memory manager
2. It wrote save data to the SRAM on the cart over the save lines
3. Because Mario Tennis uses a 16k EEPROM and SSB uses 32K SRAM so as you can see they literally don't match
>>
I guess I need a different memory manager then, as the passport plus 3 isn't copying saves from anything which uses SRAM.

What memory managers are able to copy SRAM saves off of the carts?
>>
>>3264183
Ones for old 3rd party "dev" devices. I use SRAM Manager on v64 and have similar tools for my jr and CD64.
>>
>>3263201
So........... 2 questions then

Is my save file on Zelda OoT from X-mas 1998 still alive?

What about my N64 memory card?
>>
>>3264546
That depends. Did you replace the SRAM with FRAM? If not they're probably dead.
>>
>>3264786
........ replace?

Never touched the cart

Opened it in 1998, played it, beat it, stored it
>>
>>3264851
>Never touched the cart
So daddy inserted it into the console for you?
Whatever the case is, the saves are probably gone.
>>
>>3265452
>So daddy inserted it into the console
>So daddy inserted it into
>So daddy inserted it
>daddy inserted it
>inserted it
>inserted

Okay, I'm done now.
>>
>>3265452
Ok thanks
>>
Is there any way to view the memory card's content on the 64 like you can on GC?
>>
>>3265668
To erase previous saved files/data on a memory card/memory pak for Nintendo 64, Hold the Start button while you turn on the N64 game system with the game cartdrige in it. This should take you to the Memory Card Manager. From here you will be able to see all the game saves and data that is stored on the memory card.
>>
>>3265684
This, or use one of the aforementioned memory card managers to look at them.

>>3264481
Guess I'll have to look into these, thanks.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.