[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reminder that the only RPG on the N64 is better than any on the PSX.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 468x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 468x330
Reminder that the only RPG on the N64 is better than any on the PSX.
>>
Love that game.

Still not sure why there is a surge of "my favorite game is the best, my opinion is objective" threads
>>
>>3262583
If you think that's the only rpg on the N64 then you probably don't know many PS1 rpgs either.
>>
>>3262609
You're right, OP forgot Quest 64. That's a whole other RPG!
>>
>>3262616
What are Shiren the Wanderer 2, Aidyn Chronicles, and Ogre Battle 64?
>>
>>3262627
You also forgot Hybrid Heaven, which is also really RPG-ish.
>>
Not as good as Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy VII, VIII, VIX, Star Ocean 2, Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Profile
>>
>>3262583
You're a fucking crackhead. N64 is shit. Period.
>>
>>3262583
I'm a huge n64 fan, but don't be a fucktard
>>
It's the best RPG only if you don't actually like RPGs.
>>
>>3262662
I loved the PS1 Final Fantasy games growing up but never had a chance to play through Paper Mario.

I've played through all of them recently and Paper Mario is just indisputably better. Final Fantasy is tediously boring and drawn out. They never just shut the fuck up and let you play the game. It's like 30 hours of text dump.
>>
File: Zool.jpg (55 KB, 394x558) Image search: [Google]
Zool.jpg
55 KB, 394x558
>>3262627
>>3262631

There's some other RPGs on N64, but they're all japan-only.
>>
>>3262662
>Final Fantasy VIII
>Chrono Cross
>>
>>3262782
>They never just shut the fuck up and let you play the game. It's like 30 hours of text dump.
This. Absolutely this.
>>
>mario
>good

nintendrone please
>>
>>3263008

Wow man, you're so alternative and edgy, you don't like popular franchises.
>>
>>3262602
It's a typical /v/ post. Kiddies are coming to this board
>>
>>3262782
Why would you actually WANT to play JRPGs? All of them are boring as fuck. The FF text dump is literally the thing that makes it worth playing (along with music and arguably the graphics).
>>
>>3263128
I play different genres for diff. reasons. RPGs it's to slow down and soak in the music/atmosphere. Bonus points if the battle system isn't garbage (see: Grandia).
>>
>>3263159
I agree with that, that's why I play RPGs. That's also why I consider Final Fantasy far better than Paper Mario.
>>
File: paperm.gif (306 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
paperm.gif
306 KB, 500x338
>>3263170

Paper Mario has pretty good atmosphere and music though, besides of actually fun dialogue and characters to read. Nothing serious or deep, but I was actually quite surprised that I found myself chuckling at the humor in the game. Intelligent Systems did a pretty good job at doing common Mario characters like Goombas and Koopas acquire individual personalities and actually be interesting. Admittedly the NoA localization was also a big part of this, not sure how good the original dialogue is.

Not saying it's better (or worse) than FF though, that's subjective, but I can say PM was one of my favorite 5th gen RPGs for sure.
>>
>>3262583
Didn't Chrono Trigger have a PSX version?
>>
>>3263245

A port of it was released, yes.

It has a lot of awful loading times though, not worth playing it even if it includes some kinda nice animated FMVs.
>>
>>3263128
>The FF text dump is literally the thing that makes it worth playing (along with music and arguably the graphics).
The gameplay is indeed mediocre, but it's a hell of a lot more interesting than the awful stories in those games.
>>
>>3262662
>vix
>>
>>3262768
this tbqh super family computer
>>
>>3262664
>>3262762

it's okay
>>
>>3263271
>>3262768

Well, according to some RPG purists, all JRPGs are shit and you should only be playing D&D-based games.

I liked Paper Mario and also enjoy stuff like Wizardry, Megami Tensei, Dragon Quest or HoMM.
>>
>>3262583
Pretty good game, have an N64 but bought it on Wii VC - PAL carts of the game are stupidly expensive (£100+)
>>
>>3262782
Paper Mario is easy as shit, tho
>>
>>3263917

I found the difficulty was just rightly balanced. It was neither too easy, or too hard. I still died a couple times, but most of the boss fights I ended up with 1 HP or so, on the brink of death and without any other resource left (you can recover health by summoning a star power that drains MP).

Also, I spent a lot of badge slots into extra HP and MP, so probably if you found the game too easy, you can opt to use less badges on HP, and use different ones like offensive ones and stuff.

I thought it was great that the game doesn't let you grind, there's a point where weak enemies just won't give you exp points anymore.
>>
>>3263928

Sounds like you haven't discovered the power of power bounce and multibounce.
>>
>>3262616
This guy is op desu
>>
>>3263954

I did, I remember I used one badge that would let you bounce a lot more times than normal, but still a lot of the bosses were pretty tough.

I should replay the game though, only played once a few years ago. I plan to use less badges on HP and MP, and experiment more with offensive ones.
>>
>>3263964

You can manage fine with just around 35 hp and mp while the rest goes into badges. You can skip a lot of boring enemy encounters as well.
>>
>>3263917
And? It's not like Final Fantasy games are harder lol
>>
File: pds-azel.jpg (144 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
pds-azel.jpg
144 KB, 1000x562
>he hasn't played the best 5th gen RPG yet
>>
File: 1464252197580.jpg (49 KB, 498x487) Image search: [Google]
1464252197580.jpg
49 KB, 498x487
>Only
You are forgetting Ogre Battle 64 and Hybrid Heaven.
>Implying a Mario JRPG is better than some of the best PS1 JRPG's
kek
>>
>>3263243
I want to fug the bomb.
>>
>>3265352
Just make sure you don't blow too soon.
>>
And the Saturn beats both. All of the Playstation X RPGs are boring and the N64 RPG is crap.
>>
Its a fun game. Best Paper Mario game in general. It is a babbys first rpg type experience, but it does keep you playing and isn't cheesy.
>>
>>3264118
>Implying a Mario JRPG is better than some of the best PS1 JRPG's
It is though. Obviously.
>>
>>3262817
Even then it's like four games.
There's only ~20 N64 games that aren't complete garbage that are JP only.
>>
>>3266689

You played all japanese N64 games?

I was always interested on the Doraemon N64 games, are they good?
>>
>>3266696
Not all of them, but most of the ones that aren't Pro Yakyuu, Hanafuda, Shogun, stuff like that. Doraemon's...not all that great. The third one's the best by a large margin (no shit, it's a 2000 release), but like most Doraemon games they're short little tie in games.

Again, if you gotta play one, play 3.
>>
>>3266764
>Shogun
Shogi

There's only a few games we're REALLY missing out on, honestly, and WPJ2 has a fan translation.
>>
>>3265515
Isn't PDS basically the only RPG on the Saturn in English?
>>
>>3268026
Errrr...

There's a bunch of Shining games
>>
File: Suikoden2_NA.jpg (87 KB, 419x410) Image search: [Google]
Suikoden2_NA.jpg
87 KB, 419x410
>>3262583
Couldn't be more wrong
>>
>>3268041
Anything else?
>>
>>3268082
Albert Odyssey
>>
>>3262583
PSX completely blasts the N64 out of the water when it comes to RPGs and Paper Mario isn't even the best RPG on the 64
>>
>>3265515
And yet the greatest RPG of the whole generation is on the 3DO
>>
And yet, the actual greatest RPG of that era wasn't even on a home console.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.