[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you guys have personal experiences with those infamous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: Action_52_(NES)_box_art.jpg (39 KB, 313x448) Image search: [Google]
Action_52_(NES)_box_art.jpg
39 KB, 313x448
Do any of you guys have personal experiences with those infamous games like Action 52, Bubsy 3D, E.T., Superman 64 and the likes of those? Did any of you anons actually play some of those games back in the day or recently try them out of morbid curiosity? What were your thoughts on them?
>>
>>3262194
I owned Action 52 as a kid on the Megadrive. I asked for it for my birthday.
The games were playable, some moreso than the others. As a kid you took what you got and made the most of what you had. There was nobody telling me that the game was shit and that I couldn't have fun with it.
>>
I actually owned a few of those "Make My Video" things for Sega CD that they released back in the day. I remember playing it multiple times and even enjoying them (i didn't even like the music at all). Nowadays I would never bother with that shit. I think i was just enamored with FMV shit at the time
>>
I played E.T. at some kid's house.
It's just another Atari game; its badness seems overrated.
>>
File: 1464840263501.jpg (67 KB, 485x700) Image search: [Google]
1464840263501.jpg
67 KB, 485x700
>>3262271
It was more of a premonition for things to come in regard to videogame adaptations of blockbuster movies for the sake of selling merchandise. Not bad but just...why?
>>
Played ET, didn't like it simply because I had no idea what to do, it just seemed too complicated compared to the generally arcadey feel of the other Atari games, also the general look and sound of it creeped me out. This was just as Atari was dying out and I was very young, maybe 6 or 7.

I also revisited the Atari later during 16-bit era and played the Pacman port. I thought it was okay as far as Atari goes, really had no idea it was considered the worst port or almost as bad as E.T., until the internet.

On the other hand, I've played a few games that I personally considered worst ever only to find out later on the internet that they're actually pretty well loved. Clash At Demon Head and Inindo : Way Of The Ninja come to mind.
>>
Action 52 for NES was reasonably common back in the day like >>3262214 said…
Like everyone else, me and my brother rented Superman 64 at release, and it was regrettable.
>>
Super Pitfall should be on these lists.
>>
I owned ET as a lad. It frustrated my dad to no end, especially since he was able to complete Raiders of the Lost Ark.
>>
I don't understand the hate for E.T. The game actually works and plays like the game was designed. There are way more horrible games from the past. A lot that were broken or glitch.
>>
>>3262194
I owned E.T. The big problem with it wasn't the game itself. I mean, sure, it wasn't very good. As a kid I remember it being more about falling into pits and trying to get back out. The problem with it, was that game was advertised as being a major blockbuster. The advertising was claiming it would be the best game on the planet. It wasn't all that great and word got out quickly. It is simply an example of a massively overproduced product that never had the demand. Basically the made between 2.5 and 3.5 million carts (depends on who you ask) and sold 1.5 million. They lost money not because it was a poorly selling title, but because they projected poorly. There were simply better games to be had. It's not a terrible game, but it's really not memorable. It's simplistic.

Pac-Man on the 2600 gets a lot of hate too. I don't think that is all that deserved. I mean, yeah, I avoided it most often. It just wasn't fun to play, the controls always felt really stiff, but it wasn't a bad attempt at a maze game, and certainly no worse than the various imitators on the system. I think the main problem with it was that it just didn't feel like Pac-man. And really, it was so easy to go play the real thing, that there was no point. There was a pac-man machine in every bar, laundromat, and convenience store in the US. Hell, the auto body repair shop in my small town of 600 people had one.
>>
>>3262194
I used to play Time Killers at a laundromat

No regrets
>>
>>3263181
I legit love TimeKillers.
>>
>>3262283
Who is this woman and why do people keep posting pics of her?
>>
>>3262194
I tried out Simon's Quest on the eshop and I quite like it. Sure it isn't as good as the first, but it is still a fine game.
>>
>>3263206
That one really is an internet meme, nobody thought that was a really horrible game, I don't think even Upset Youtube Geek genuinely dislikes it.

I had Hydlide for NES as a kid, I thought it was pretty bad and I was surprised when I found out many years later that the original version was sort of a big deal.
>>
>>3263214
Yeah. I had the same experience. Rented Hydlide as a kid, didn't get very far. It was kind of hard to get going in. I took it back the next day not thinking much of it, but all of the reviews, and strat guides I was seeing show up for it made me regret not putting more effort into it. It's occupied a spot on my white whale shelf for years now. I'm planning to tackle it soon.
>>
Does Pacman on 2600 count? When I hear about the video game crash, people always mention how horrible Pacman was. I don't know, my family seemed to enjoy it. It wasn't our favorite but we liked it. I was just a kid, so I don't remember it super well.
>>
>>3262283
E.T. is a buggy Adventure clone with a twist. If people hate E.T. (bugs notwithstanding) they also hate Adventure.
>>
>>3263267
Adventure is pretty unifersally loved. It's no Swordquest or Haunted House, but it's pretty good. Also, first known Easter egg
>>
>>3262194

I rented Superman 64. I could get passed one of the cop car levels. I didn't think it was bad at the time, I just thought I sucked at it and I was pissed that I didn't get to any of the fighting levels.
>>
>>3263312

Could NOT get passed i mean
>>
>>3262194
I know it's not the most infamous bad game in the world, but growing up I had that shitty Batman Forever SNES game. Could never figure out how the fuck it worked.
>>
>superman 64 announced and covered in Nintendo power over summer
>10 year old me goes apeshit
>tell my dad I want superman 64 for Christmas
>anticipation got me superman crazy
>stoked to fly around and beat the shit out of bad guys and heat vision motherfuckers all day
>Christmas eve comes
>my brother and I used to get to open presents to/from each other Christmas eve then the next morning the big awesome stuff from Santa would be there
>tear through them presents with righteous fury
>no superman
>must be saving it for Christmas morning
>I see your game, father
>try to sleep but so stoked for superman I can barely contain my boner
>Christmas morning comes
>dash the fuck down the stairs like a madman
>there's a box
>THIS MUST BE IT
>rip and tear, RIP AND TEAR
>it's superman
>but not for 64
>it's the other superman game by Titus for game boy
>dad tells me they didn't have the 64 one
>I'm salty as fuck for the rest of Christmas like a spoiled goddamn brat
>superman on game boy isn't great but isn't horrible either
>time goes on and just sort of forget about superman 64
>still haven't played it
>dad spared me the pain

You always knew, didn't you dad? I should do something nice for him on father's day.
>>
>>3262927
Well, someone besides me played that horrid piece of shit and still carries the mental scars. My sympathies. I don't know what's worse, the fact I owned that game or the fact I beat it.

E.T. was pretty shit even back then, and I think the reason so many people today try to defend it is because they are sitting down and playing the full romset, and notice that so many other games are bad that E.T. doesn't really stand out. E.T. was bad, really fucking bad. About on par with Indy 500 and Maze Craze, cept the graphics were somewhat nicer.
>>
>>3262457
>I personally considered worst ever only to find out later on the internet that they're actually pretty well loved.

I felt the same towards Friday the 13th for the NES. It got shat on by reviewers of it's time but I used to play it for hours with my cousin at his house. I even later found out that the game was cult enough to have a Jason Voorhess action figure based on it.

TBQF a I found a lot of "horrible" licensed games enjoyable one way or another even in a surreal "pretend it's not based on the movie way":
>Rambo
>Predator (mainly for the soundtrack)
>Back to the Future II (like a messed-up SMB and Donkey Kong hack with last minute BTTF license)
>Conan the Barbarian (which I later found out was a retouched port of Myth, a Commodore 64 game)
>>
>>3262194
Superman 64 was not that bad to me in the 90s when I rented it. For a day rental title is was pretty fun to fly around. I find it hard to believe anyone actually bought it. Bubsy 3d is also not that bad. I think people just like to exaggerated that they are bad because its popular.
>>
as a kid I had Ghostbusters for the NES, and I played it quite often

sure, the zuul part of the game is completely broken, but that just meant the game was over when I couldn't put off zuul any longer.

in the meantime, it was a business sim and a driving minigame, and it was comfy as fuck.

compare the meat of ghostbusters to all other NES games, which were tough as shit. if I wasn't up for that kind of experience, I put in ghostbusters and tried to make some money driving around and catching ghosts.

there is no reason to play it these days, but back then it was decent time killing.
>>
I had Shaq Fu. Or, more accurately, I traded a copy of ToeJam & Earl for it.
>>
>>3263312
Same. Rented it, but tried as I could, I couldn't get past the very first level with the rings. Eventually I just fucked around with flying as Superman. That part wasn't even that great as I recall, and even as a kid I knew it looked like shit compared to other N64 games of the era.
>>
>>3264626
bubsy 3D is garbage. Barely even looks like a completed game for christ sakes
>>
I liked Bubsy 3D as a kid but playing it now I realize how bad it was. Felt the same about Croc, both those games had that weird feel where you didnt have freedom to move around, instead you had to get the camera fixed on where you want to go and press forward if that makes sense.
>>
>>3264787
Its from 1996. no one knew how to use 3d yet.
>>
File: 2016-06-02-23-10-18-746359973.jpg (11 KB, 200x139) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-02-23-10-18-746359973.jpg
11 KB, 200x139
>>3264792
>>
File: 250px-Crash_Bandicoot_Cover.png (150 KB, 250x248) Image search: [Google]
250px-Crash_Bandicoot_Cover.png
150 KB, 250x248
>>3264792
>>
>>3262979
Yeah, thanks to all the hype built up around it ET really did seem a lot worse than it actually is when it was released. But thanks to that now kind of the opposite happens, you get people trying ROMs of it expecting it to be complete shit, and they find it's not as complete shit as it was hyped up to be. Then maybe they try some other ROMs of different games from the era and find it's about on par with a lot of other shit.

>>3264525
Predator had a game?
>>
>>3264797
>>3264803
those were the exceptions not the rule. vast majority of 3d games in 1996 were broken.
>>
>>3262194
Imagine how disappointing it would be to spend 199 on action 52
>>
>>3264907
No they weren't, Tekken and Toshinden comes to mind.
Get the fuck out of here you underage retard.
>>
>>3265048
those are fighters that copied virtua fighter from 1993. they are not open world 3d platformers.
>>
>>3264979
No kidding. Suggested retail price? Hopefully no retailer was crazy enough to sell it for that.
>>
>>3263953
I actually like Super Pitfall. It's like Spelunker for people with bad parents.
>>
File: RISE_OF_THE_ROBOTS.jpg (40 KB, 640x443) Image search: [Google]
RISE_OF_THE_ROBOTS.jpg
40 KB, 640x443
I actually played a fair deal of Rise of Robots on the SNES.

I remember not being particularly good at it, nor the game being particularly pleasant to play.

At some point I think I only started it up cause I wanted to listen to the music. Probably the game's strongest point.
>>
>>3264525
Same experience with Rambo. It wasn't really that bad. Especially when I was young and didn't have a large library to pull from. I played the crap out of the first Back to the Future game too, and it gets crapped on a lot. Actually, the only really bad movie adaptation I played back then was Total Recall. That was terrible.

But I mean, I had parents that were completely clueless. One year for Christmas I got Deadly Towers, Mighty Bomb Jack, and Gumshoe. But as a kid, needing something to play, I got damned good at all of them, and look back on them with fondness. I think the overabundance of quality games and review sites has spoiled the hell out of the following generations.

Now get off of my lawn.
>>
>>3265672
Well, part of the fun for retailers was that the thing got sold through the same outlets that the guys that sell cheap knives at flea markets buy from. It wasn't a licensed game, so you couldn't find it at any retailer that wanted to sell licensed Nintendo products. It was an illegal practice bu Nintendo, but retailers obeyed. Nintendo was big money.
>>
>>3265730
Well Nintendo kind of had a point, isn't it?
Except for the Tengen games all of the unlincensed NES titles were garbage.
>>
>>3262271
that was precisely the problem
ET was just "another atari game", even with the substantial marketing behind it was just another 50 dollars boring game. People got tired of seeing the same shit and spending money on it and thus stopped giving a shit about videogames altogether. ET wasn't as much of "this game is fucking bad" than "This game is the last time I'll buy these overpriced pieces of shit".
>>
>>3265746
Many of the licensed NES titles were garbage too. It wasn't a quality standard, it was just a licensing fee they wanted paid.

>Athena
>Hudson Hawk
>Where's Waldo
>Total Recall
>Tag Team Pro Wrestling
>X-men
>Fun House

I mean, as long as they got their cut, they really didn't give a shit.
>>
>>3265746
I thought Codemasters/Camerica games were good. As good as, if not better than, the Tengen ones.
>>
>>3263294
There's one that's even older:

https://tcrf.net/Video_Whizball
>>
>>3265069
how about no?
>>
>>3262194
I played all those except Bubsy when they were new. Action 52 is a special case. Basically the original 9001-in-1 shit. Anyone who expected 52 small shitty games to be good had mental issues. The rest were just your typical shitty games. ET get's picked out because of the hype and brand. There are many games far worse for the 2600. I suspect superman 64 is hated for the same reason. The n64 library is tiny but there's still shit worse. There's a ton of really bad games out there for every system. Not sure why some get picked as the "worst"
>>
>>3264827
>Predator had a game?

That's right, though it got shit reviews, including one by the AVGN, though I thought it was all right, just a little challenging. What I liked best about it though was the soundtrack, it was all eerie AF and one of the best I've head in a NES game
>>
>>3264791
Tank controls?
>>
>>3262194
I bought ET when it came out. If you read the Manual the game was actually fun. Yes, it was annoying dropping in the pits, but you eventually figure out where you need to walk. And even if you didn't read the manual, you figured it all out after a while.
>>
>>3265715
God I hated this game
>>
>>3262194
I think a cousin of mine rented Superman 64 back in the day, but I really don't remember much of it so chances are I never played much or any of it.
>>
My best friend owns dr jackyll and mister Hyde for NES
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.