[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What games that are universally praised and famous but you've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7
What games that are universally praised and famous but you've never even touched?

For me it was Wolfenstein. I was seven when Doom was released, and after i played it i saw no point in going back to wolf3d.
>>
>>3261980
I've touched but can't get into
Metroid, super Metroid
Mega Mans
>>
everything from 4th generation consoles. I grew up straight from NES to PSX, completely skipping everything in between. I regret nothing
>>
>>3261980
I'm a big n64 fan but I haven't touched most of the ps1 library. I have played...

>Crash 3 (good)
>Strider 2 (awesome)
>metal gear solid (not my type of game)
>ape escape (great)
>resident evil 2 (on n64, amazing)
>tony hawk (on n64, awesome but I suck)
>>
>>3261996
Just got into Mega Man only last year myself, but I love those games and wish I had all the NES ones when I was a kid. Never touched Super Metroid (going to check it out soon though) either, or any Zelda after LttP.

others i haven't touched yet:
Symphony of the Night (i want to pick up a copy bad though. Unfortunately its expensive)

almost every JRPG on SNES that is always praised

Snatcher (owned a Sega CD in the early 90s too)

Turtles In Time (I honestly don't get whats so special with this compared to the other beat em ups on NES)

Banjo Kazoie, Conkers Bad Fur Day or a host of other really good N64 titles that I never had or played because I never owned a N64. Opted to stick with Playstation back then for some reason

Games I've only played recently but wished I played a long time ago: Contra Hard Corps, Ghouls and Ghosts, Power Blade, Battletoads, Mega Man X
>>
>>3262000
Shit, me too.

Although, I have a special place in my heart for the N64, since that was always that cool console my friends had, that I only ever got to play when I visited their house.

And now I feel that I waited too long to go back and buy/collect for the N64. The prices are slightly higher than what I want to pay, but not too bad.
>>
>>3261980
Every Final Fantasy
>>
>>3261980
I have not played a single Zelda game, but I have beaten Legacy of Kain Blood Omen which as far as I know is a clone.
>>
>>3261980
Wolf 3d is nothing more than a novelty game if you ask me. Doom out did it so hard there's no point in playing Wolf 3d unless you're curious. It's kinda boring going back to it now.
>>
>>3262231
Snatcher rules, emulate or burn the disc if you still have a SEGA CD. SotN is on XBLA if you have a 360 or an XBONE and it's a solid port, that's how I beat it. TMNT II: The Arcade Game and Manhattan Project are both better than Turtles in Time, but it's an entertaining play-through nonetheless. Banjo is garbage, and just so I'm not labelled a contrarian hipster, I hated it as a child too.
>>
>>3262573

LoK is closer to Diablo
>>
Most of N64 and PSX. For some reason I disliked the 3D models in those systems and couldn't never get comfortably with controls and the first attempts in 3D perspective in consoles.

Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 were like the only exceptions.

It was kinda weird considering I was okay with things like SNES Starfox or Quake II
>>
>>3264309
>SotN is on XBLA if you have a 360 or an XBONE and it's a solid port, that's how I beat it.

Fucking sweet, thanks, glad its on there. I could have emulated SotN but for some reason I can't get the PSX emulator to work properly. This is easier. I'm guessing its cheap too
>>
>>3262231
>Symphony of the Night (i want to pick up a copy bad though. Unfortunately its expensive)
there's a serviceable psp port. butchered the classic voice acting though.
>>
>>3261980
Final Fantasy until recently.
Hell, a bunch of games now that I think about it.
Been trying to fix that though.
>>
Any of the Metal Gear/Solid games. I briefly played the original Metal Gear on emulators years ago, but don't remember anything past the first screen or two. Bought the big collection of remasters cheaply a few months ago, haven't touched any of them yet.
>>
The Legend of Zelda games. The old 2D ones look fun a shit though.
>>
>>3261996
Same for metroids. I see the appeal but they don't do it for me
>>
>>3264674

>Symphony of the Night

You can also just play the original

http://www.emuparadise.me/PSX_on_PSP_ISOs/Castlevania_-_Symphony_of_the_Night_%28USA%29/163439
>>
>>3264298
Hello there, Mr. Parrot.

Wolfenstein 3D actually plays rather differently than Doom. Certainly not as fun, but I wouldn't say it's exactly the same but worse.
>>
Pretty much every major RTS or RPG on PC is a dead zone for me. I actually own age of empires 1 and 2, command and conquer red alert, starcraft + brood war, and warcraft 3 + expansion as part of various lots I've picked up at flea markets, but I've never played any of them.

As for RPGS on PC closest thing I've played is Diablo 2. Never touched anything else.

Basically the only thing I've played on PC is shooters.
>>
>>3266636
why have you bought them?
>>
>this thread

You guys are missing some pretty good games. But I'm being a faggot because I never got into Metal Gear series, only played VR Mission for some hours and the 2D games until today. I really don't mind waiting, the games will still be there and I'll like them the same. Shit, I played SotN for the first time in 2011 and shit was amazing
>>
Zelda for me as well. I've played pretty much every single Ys game though.
Mario. Only played first one.
>>
Shin Megami Tensei.

There are so many of them, and so many different translations that I have no idea where to start.
>>
>>3261980
Warcraft.

Starcraft.

Command and Conquer.

FF9 (barely played 7 and 8 either)

Morrowind.

Guilty Gear.

GTA3(or later).

Torment.

Grand Turismo.

System Shock 1.

Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Blood.

Alpha Centauri.

Unreal.

Thief 2.

Diablo 1/2.

Deus Ex.

Medieval Total War (nor Shogun).

Halflife.

Fallout 1.

Fallouut 2.

Resident Evil 2.

Panzer Dragoon.

Banjo Kazooie.

Zelda 64.

Crash Bandicoot.

Rayman.

Mother.

Mother 2.

Kirby.
>>
every fuckin round based RPG shit
and dat shitty shadow of the colossus
>>
Donkey Kong Country.
It looks like a completely generic vanilla platformer to me. Oh, they used SGI render farms to create the sprite, whoop dee fucking doo.
>>
>>3262256
Most of the core N64 games average between $25-80, from what I can tell. Honestly not too bad.
>>
>>3266646
I suppose I bought them with intent to play at some point. The interest just hasn't come up in me yet. They were all bought in a lot for maybe a quarter or two each for the most part, so I don't feel like I've wasted my money.

One of these days I want to start Might and Magic 3 as well as Fallout. We'll see when that actually happens though.
>>
>>3266692
Man, I've only put an hour into each FF before getting bored. I think they're only good for the music.
>>
The N64. Okay, we have maxed out Mario Kart with my wife, but the Zelda games and Mario 64 never interested me. I really think that many 3D games on the early consoles had unnecessary 3D. They should have stuck with pure 2D like Symphony of the Night, or go for 2.5D like FFT where the sprites are 2D while the environment is not.
>>
>>3266762
>go for 2.5D like FFT where the sprites are 2D while the environment is not.
MDK tried that shit and it had the disorienting effect where it seemed like it was your character rotating around the camera rather the other way around.
>>
>>3266762

3D was kind of the selling point. Besides 2.5D looks like ass due to antialiasing filters and doesn't have accurate collison detection with the rest of the 3D environment. imo the effect only really worked in Paper Mario due to pop out book gimmick.
>>
File: Will You Talk.png (13 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Will You Talk.png
13 KB, 640x480
>>3264648
Yeah, I think it's like $10 or something, I've had it for like 7 years but it just showed up in my XBONE backwards compatibility which was a nice surprise.
>>3266678
Most of the Super Famicom games are dope, check out the pastebin at /smtg/ sometime for starter suggestions. I started playing Megaten like a year ago and I haven't played anything else since, it's an amazing series.
>>
>>3261980
FF series. anything exclusive to consoles after the nes. only played super Mario world on snes and almost bought that system because of it. I dont think I missed out on much desu. I feel that I missed quite a bit on snes though may get one one of these days.
>>
>>3267458
how to read moonrunes though?
>>
>>3266623
Blake Stone does all of it better. I still play wolf3D on the SNES sometimes though.
>>
>>3266692
Holy fucking shit dude. You've missed out on so much fun.
>>
File: IMG_0254.png (3 MB, 1091x1596) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0254.png
3 MB, 1091x1596
>>3267498
The SuFami versions of SMT 1, 2, and Kyuyakuu Megami Tensei (SFC remakes of the original Famicom games) are translated (SMT1 is officially on iOS in english too), Soul Hackers is a Saturn game that was remade for 3DS and is excellent, and there's a ton of not-retro games for PS2, DS, and 3DS that are excellent and in English. I posted a SEGA CD screenshot cause it's a cool screenshot, but I've only played games in English and I've beaten 4 so far, working on my 5th. If you're at all interested in the series and you like dungeon crawling, just jump in and see if you like it.
>>
Ultima. Couldn't get into the graphics. I want to give it another try though, got a couple free ultima games on gog.com
>>
File: you can't make me.jpg (18 KB, 164x216) Image search: [Google]
you can't make me.jpg
18 KB, 164x216
>>3267525
>>
>>3261980
Wolfenstein 3D definitely hasn't aged well. Doom basically outshines it in every regard except horizontal sliding doors (and even then, source ports allow for such things through polyobjects). Only reason to play it is out of historical interest.
>>
>>3267667
I don't know, it still stands the test of time for me. But I love 3d maze type games.
>>
>>3267667
also you get to fuck up mecha hitler and dogs and execute people that try to surrender.
>>
>>3267674
>and execute people that try to surrender.

No, that was Rise of the Triad.
>>
>>3266762

Mario Kart 64 has 3D environments, but all the karts are sprites.
>>
>>3267682
I'm pretty sure you can kill the nazi's that try to surrender in wolfenstein. maybe they just surrendered. I distinctly remember some serious surrendering going on.
>>
>>3267687

I'm telling you, that's only in Rise of the Triad.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.gif (23 KB, 539x360) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.gif
23 KB, 539x360
>>3267694
so they just dropped this mechanic from wolf 3d? your going to make me replay the shit just to find out now. I do know about rotts surrendering. I thought for sure w3d did it too. maybe without the execution.
>>
>>3267702

Yes, Wolf 3D is dramatically simplified by comparison to the game it was based on. Which is a shame, as even with such a rudimentary "3D" engine, if they kept all the complexity of the original 2D game it would have been nothing short of revolutionary.

Blake Stone, especially the second one (Planet Strike) shows how complex and rich the gameplay can be even when the engine isn't very advanced. There are informants who help you, NPCs to talk to, working vending machines, health machines like in Half Life, missions and more, all in an engine that is basically just Wolf 3D with ceiling and floor textures added

ID really dropped the ball. Advanced gameplay can more than make up for a rudimentary engine. Just look at how the added quirks and complexity of ROTT helped it shine despite competing with the technically superior Doom.
>>
>>3267694
...which was originally supposed to be wolfenstein 3d-2. If that makes it marginally less wrong.

>>3267702
That wasn't even an id software title, and wolf3d didn't involve the designer of the original 2d games.
>>
>>3267706
>ID really dropped the ball.

With the pioneer 3d shooter. Right.
>>
>>3267715

For making it a Wolfenstein game when it dropped 90% of the features in the original.

I am not knocking the technology. ID has indeed always been a pioneer in 3D engines. But they are also notorious for building extremely bare bones, almost tech demo tier games around those engines. Then bringing in other companies like Raven to make actual fleshed out games based on ID engine tech.
>>
>>3267740
Rage was good though. Ya the vehicles could have been dropped but the gameplay was really good. there should have been a rash of fps's that used that damage reaction mechanic that was done so well. Shit d44m could have really benefited from it. sad really.
>>
>>3261980
>Zoombinis
>>
File: 1431279858663.png (316 KB, 556x821) Image search: [Google]
1431279858663.png
316 KB, 556x821
>>3266692
Are you 12, elitist or some sort of hipster?
>>
>>3267886
see >>3267659
>>
>>3266692
you have some catching up to do son
>>
File: 434144_1.jpg (93 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
434144_1.jpg
93 KB, 630x630
>>3267659
>>
>>3261980
The Arkham series. I just can't stand Batman.
>>
>>3268035
I ain't gonna be playing catch up to nobody!

Now, if other people want to follow ME down the gutter, then FINE.

Case in point...

This GNU-commie plops this presumptuous suggestion at a techie bunch: "Hey, now that the raspberry pi is upon us, and has an Openarena port, why don't we appreciate it and have a LAN party. Thanks to easy, dirt-cheap, common gear, there shall not be those squabbles that LAN parties are infamous for, or the cost/hassle."

Naturally, the crowd does not like the idea, but simply can't really express all their many natural qualms about it.

So, I get around to untangling it. What sort of positive event could you expect around something mundane and competitive like a reheated Quake3? It ain't gonna happen. People would be peeved at the weak performance of Q3 on that. If you want an amicable gaming event, you have to be more practical. You can't just stupidly hope for friendly gaming like with console games, which are *designed* for that. So for starters, you'd want to be looking at teamplay like Action Quake or Gloom, where you don't have everyone against each other, and there's actually a bit of reason to focus and think. And besides, if you're going through the hassle of setting up such an event, you'd likely want a decent selection of things to play, arcade roms would probably be an easy natural addition.

I played a good number of arcade roms, I had a friend who I played some with. And split screen PC games. That was cool.

But back to if people were getting dragged back to LAN gaming...

Hexen-II. I never played Hexen 2, but I'd expect it to run great on any Pi, so that would be an example of something due to try at an easy-LAN get together.

Aside from that, my large CRT TV that could do 640x480 got thrown out. There goes the platform for playing Fallout, Deus Ex, FF8 or Thief. well, fuckit, I didn't want to anyway.
>>
>>3261996
same

also final fantasy
>>
>>3266743
I quite liked FF6. 5 was okay too. I do rather regret playing 4 though.
>>
Grew up on FF 1/2/7/9, Saga series, Shin megami and last year I went back to finally play FF6 and.... cant enjoy it. I feel like I'm playing several different games smooshed into one that doesnt feel natural.
>>
64 replies and counting in a thread specifically about games you haven't played? I wish I could murder all of you
>>
>>3266692
>Grand Turismo.
And you are Grand Autismo.
>>
>>3261980
HL
SH
SH2
Wolfenstein
FF games for a long time were repulsive for me but i finished 1,3,4 and came to a conclusion that there are a lot of people that dont actually play games besides the parroted ones.
Mega man
Anything Link/zelda related
>>
>>3271935
There's more than enough games about driving grand tourers out there.
>>
>>3261980
Every Final Fantasy ever, and the entire genre of JRPGs for that matter. I just can't get into them. Grinding, random battles and turn based combat are all gameplay mechanics that I hate with a passion.
>>
>>3274427
>turn based combat
what about TBS? Not japanese, but stuff like M.A.X.
>>
>>3270721
Oh, youve played every videogame ever made?
>>
>tfw I'm old enough to have lived through literally every video game franchise
>>
>>3271935
Forza motorsport master race!!!
>>
>>3267886
Who's that semen demon?
>>
>>3261980
I hate the entire RPG genre apart from Soulsborne (which were p great 2bh). They're all shit games that come with shit gameplay. I don't care about story in video games, either, for the most part. Don't wanna sift through some poorly written pile of shit pixelated cartoon targeted at retarded socially stunted manchildren. There are much better mediums for story telling like books, movies or TV shows. Also when story exposition gets in the way of gameplay, that's fucking irritating. I play games to play games, not to pretend I'm a wizard to feel better about life.

RPG wouldn't be so bad if it came with good gameplay but for some reason it seems to be a prerequisite for this genre to either play like shit or not play at all (like turn-based faggoty shit). What's fun about grinding to hit some power level so that you can select a spell or whatever to beat a boss? RPG can eat my ass.

The few I've touched, I've hated. That includes Deus Ex, System Shock, Morrowind and some shitty Final Fagtasy that I happened to play at a friend's house once. I hate RPG and I hate faggots that play them. I hope you all get rectal cancer and die slowly and painfully. While you do you can play RPG though, I'll give you that, just to make your life even more shitty without you even knowing it.
>>
>>3267740
So, they jumped the gun at making a wolfenstein game? So it would have been better if the 1992 grid based 3d shooter was "Doom" with demons and probably exploding weapons, and the one after that with variable geometry was wolfenstein 3d?
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.