[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which was better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 16
File: file.png (657 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
file.png
657 KB, 1280x720
Which was better?
>>
>PAL SNES
PALshit will always be shit.
>>
File: 1451615164983.gif (3 MB, 380x287) Image search: [Google]
1451615164983.gif
3 MB, 380x287
>>3261814
Amazing thread.
>>
Genesis obviously, it's not hindered by having a weak processor and shitty sound chip like the SNES.
>>
File: kek.gif (1 MB, 392x400) Image search: [Google]
kek.gif
1 MB, 392x400
>>3261821
>implying PAL isn't the most based region
>>
>>3261830
>>3261814
I wanna get off this ride. Did you not have both? and even now, can't you emulate whichever you didn't have. They both were great.
>>
>>3261836
Being platform agnostic is for pussies that can't choose a side.
>>
SNES obviously, it's not hindered by having a weak GPU and shitty sound chip like the Genesis.
>>
>>3261851

What side have you chosen?
>>
TurboGrafx obviously, it's not hindered by having a weak-- oh, who am I kidding, TG hardware was fucking shit.
>>
>>3261814
I feel that the SNES was better, but I love both.
>>
>>3261814
Only weird kids had a genesis
>>
>>3261865
Sony Master Race
>>
It's fucking dumb to choose between them. You can get each/both for under $50 and they both have fantastic libraries.

Any console warring at this point is just for the sake of shitposting
>>
>>3261875
why are you on 4chan then normal guy?
>>
>>3261875
What about normalfags who had the sega for sports games and sanic?
>>
>>3261814
>>3261814
genesis, snes was bloated with jrpgs which are by and large a bad genre.
>>
>>3261859
genesis soundchip was godlike, unless you had a model II then just mute the TV.
>>
>>3261878

That's really the vast majority of posting on this board at this point.
>>
Great thread, keep up the good work OP.
>>
File: 1463595108415.gif (2 MB, 390x219) Image search: [Google]
1463595108415.gif
2 MB, 390x219
>>3261814
Following answers in this thread.

"The one I had as a kid but I won't mention that so I don't come off as a nostalgiafag"

"Snes I only play nintendo games but don't want people to know that"

"Genesis as it has more arcade style style and I want to appear more hardcore to anonymous strangers online"

One or two "I preffer ____ for (actual reasoning why they preffer that console) followed by shitposters calling them out.

Also this thread will get at least 500 replies, for some reason /vr/ loves console wars.
>>
>>3261949
eat a dick you little faggot
>>
>>3261814
Who gives a fuck. They both had excellent libraries.
>>
>>3261949
Consume male genitalia you minuscule homosexual
>>
Genesis, it had all the hardcore games. SNES was just kiddy nintendoo games that are easy.
>>
>Snes
Better music
Best library
Best gamepad
No sonichu
Don't need to looks edgy to be good.
>>
Neither, they were both fucking awesome. You're an underage idiot used to fucking shit consoles if you still believe there was actually a winner in SNES vs Genesis.
>>
Neo Geo.

Best visuals, best audio, most badass games.
>>
>>3261875
Brits and Black people are weird now?
>>
>>3261995
>library consists of 90% rehashed fighters, none of which are as good as Street Fighter II Turbo
oh....
>>
>>3261814
Snes no contest

I like both though. Genesis has the better Castlevania
>>
>>3262002
No they were always weird.
>>
>>3261995
I bet you think the PSVita is better than the 3DS
>>
>>3262050
>any fighter being as good as Street fighter II Turbo
>>
>>3262050
There are a lot of fighters, but they definitely don't make up 90% of the library. Maybe around 40%. The best Neo Geo games aren't even fighters.

>>3262076
>liking handhelds at all
Fuck that shit.
>>
>>3262076
The Vita is far better hardware than the 3DS. The problem is that Sony did a horrible job marketing it and it never found an audience. Having said that, there are some good games on it and it's the best way to play PS1 games on a handheld device.
>>
>>3261949
This is all true
>>
>>3261814
Both of them were excellent consoles by companies that made great contributions to gaming. Why do you people persist with your petty console wars?
>>
>>3262143
Because I can, and it makes dweebs like you upset that I like one console more than the other.
>>
i prefer the snes, for different reasons.

1. was the gaming console that my neighbour had, where i played all my childhood console games (my dad owned a computer so i played more computer games)
2. has games that i like to play, platforms, jrpgsactions, races, etc.
3. is most common in my country than a genesis so its more easy to find cartriges nowadays.

but besides this, i think it is a nonesense to be doing this. everyone has different tastes,a aand the idea of gaming is that you have fun. so if you like one or the other its the same, have fun
>>
Sega mocks the disabled and those who own Nintendo products. Fuck them and fuck their Genesis device.
>>
>>3262076
It is. 3DS has virtually nothing worth playing as well, Vita is a much better machine best used with ps1/psp games, and ps+ gave away almost every retail game.
>>
>>3262487
>Sega mocks the disabled and those who own Nintendo products

Pretty redundant to say they mock the disabled.
>>
>>3261814
when i was dead broke man i couldn't picture this___
>>
File: Genesis-Does-Ad-Campaign-2.jpg (380 KB, 1684x765) Image search: [Google]
Genesis-Does-Ad-Campaign-2.jpg
380 KB, 1684x765
>>3261875

>Sonic
>Blood in Mortal Kombat
>Sports Games
>Blast Processing

Have fun with your kids toy, and your boyfriend Mario, FAG!
>>
>>3261814
NTSC SNES>SEGA Genesis>>>>>>PALSHIT
>>
ZX Spectrum > Amiga > Megadrive > SHIT > SNES
>>
>>3261814
>look daddy! i can shitpost just like you did when you were 12!
>>
>>3261814
SNES. I like a few games on the Genesis (Contra, SoR2, Sonic 3, VF2, Aladdin) but I prefer the SNES library overall.

RPGs, platformers, action, adventure. Better colors, better D-pad.

>>3261821
PAL SNES with 60hz mod and component is a sweet setup though.
>>
File: trashman.jpg (82 KB, 832x584) Image search: [Google]
trashman.jpg
82 KB, 832x584
Oh look, another console war b8 thread.
>>
File: let it go.jpg (815 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
let it go.jpg
815 KB, 970x545
>>3261814
This marketing war has been dead for two decades. Just don't. The only use in even bringing it up again is to laugh at the commercials. Do you really just wanna relive yelling at other kids on the playground over who's parent gave them the best toy for Christmas? Why would you STILL be fixated over that when you're a grown ass adult?
>>
File: killurself.jpg (147 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
killurself.jpg
147 KB, 1500x1500
>>3261814
>>
File: SNES-Mod1-Console-Set.jpg (4 MB, 5472x2840) Image search: [Google]
SNES-Mod1-Console-Set.jpg
4 MB, 5472x2840
>>3261821
>poor americans had this hideous design
>>
>>3262638
>50Hz
>>
>>3261851
Like a real American. You have to take a stand for your morals, yourself, and for your country. What you stand for defines you, no limp wristed flip floppers.
>>
File: sfc19.jpg (213 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
sfc19.jpg
213 KB, 1024x683
>>3262638
>poor people don't own both NTSC-U and NTSC-J systems
>>
File: 1453013981466.png (52 KB, 243x263) Image search: [Google]
1453013981466.png
52 KB, 243x263
>>3262840
>>
>>3262646
A good deal of officially PAL released SNES games are optimised for the correct speed. Americucks love to bring out the "50Hz! 50Hz!" thing when they've probably never even played a PAL console.
>>
>>3262858

Just get a japanese Super Famicom, tbqh super famicom.
>>
>>3262638

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over my non-taxed television, cheap gigabit Internet, 500 HP sedan with fixed front suspension alignment for fast quarter mile times, and all this lovely open land with nothing but grass and wild wheat for miles.

You're right, though. It's worth it living in a shithole like London or Berlin if it means having an A E S T H E T I C Super Nintendo... Or, you could be free and enjoy a utilitarian SNES, and showboat where people can see your showboating... Unless you walk about with your super Nintendo on you showing it off... In which case, more power to you. I'll be in my iron horse laying strips and comparing engine specs with the cop that pulls me over. Chao!
>>
File: Super-Famicom-Controller.jpg (3 MB, 3700x2080) Image search: [Google]
Super-Famicom-Controller.jpg
3 MB, 3700x2080
>>3262861

This was for >>3262864
>>
>>3262861
I just cut the prongs from my SNES US. I think it looks and performs perfectly fine,and has for twenty four years.
>>
>>3262868

Yeah, but I mean if you care about the aesthetics of the console.

I think both US and JP models look nice. The US SNES gets a lot of hate, but I think it's good looking, I like the combination of grey and purple, and I like the different shades of purple on the controller buttons as well.
Also, unlike the Famicom and NES, there is not a big difference in actual size and dimensions between US SNES and SFC.
>>
>>3262871
I was more so implying that the euro poster I quoted cares about the looks. I honestly don't care,as long as it works.
>>
>>3261851
Actually, it's for poor people that can't afford to play whatever the fuck they want.

It's cool though. Keep telling yourself that it's a preference. We like it when the proletariat fights amongst itself.
>>
>>3263002
>being platform agnostic
>for poor people
hurr
>>
>>3263023
We usually associate poor with stupid. Thanks you for your well thought out response, poorfag.
>>
>>3263026
Welcome madfag. :^)
>>
File: more-new-amiga.png (1 MB, 1329x840) Image search: [Google]
more-new-amiga.png
1 MB, 1329x840
MFW all the retards were arguing over their SNES and Mega Drive shite

I was too busy on my based AMIGA back then.

>what was better the snes or mega drive?
>THE AMIGA
>>
>>3263034
Nah bro. I'm chill. Hence the platform agnostic thing. I buy all of the major consoles every generation. I just can't be bothered to get into console wars. Gaming isn't that expensive of a hobby. Just prioritize what matters to you in life. If it's gaming, spend your money accordingly. If you can't afford it, then just play shit that's a generation behind current.

Really, retro is only expensive if you insist on collecting rare shit. If all you care about is gaming, it can be had for next to nothing.
>>
>>3263038

lol it doesn't even have Doom

Fuck off aussie
>>
>>3263038
>Amiga
>Good
Sorry, but Euro platformers and shitty western-developed ports of arcade games don't appeal to me that much.
>>
>>3263038
Amiga...

I remember Amiga users back then. There were 3 of them that I knew of in my home town. They were massive furries. Like, bold about it. In a time of BBSs, they somehow managed to get into a small niche culture.

I swear, they were so determined to be different that they were playing solo on an Amiga instead of playing multiplayer on consoles with friends.
>>
>>3263038
>garbage euro-games with broken game mechanics
>terrible arcade reprogs
>terrible Atari ST ports

what a shame, the hardware was actually ahead of its time.
>>
>>3263065
Amiga had a fair amount of multiplayer games I think I played it more multiplayer than single desu
>>
>>3263067

This, the Amiga is nice for other stuff other than video games. TV channels back in the day used Amiga for CG graphics and music.

But video games? Nah. There are a couple good looking Psygnosis games and what not, but they pale in comparison to what Japan was doing on arcade/consoles at the time.

The Amiga demo scene is far more interesting, but again, that's not video games, it's video/audio.
>>
>>3263087
OK, so you proved you didn't have an Amiga. Now what?
>>
>>3263275

No need to start desperately throwing baseless accusations, buddy.

Amiga was a pretty nice piece of tech, the problem was the developers for it.

Bit of trivia: Junishi Masuda, music composer for the Pokemon series, wrote the music for the first generation Pokemon games on an Amiga. (which was actually an uncommon computer in Japan)
>>
>>3263002
>Actually, it's for poor people that can't afford to play whatever the fuck they want.
This might've been true 25 years ago, but nowadays poorfags can emulate all retro stuff. People still console war because it's fun to shit on bad companies like Nintendo.
>>
>>3263468
But really, objectively, which major game company actually has no redeeming qualities? Sega and Nintendo both have great titles for their systems. Even licensed IP hoarders like Acclaim managed to put out something decent once in awhile. Even LJN has a gem or 2.

Hating on companies is stupid. If you want to pick apart individual products, fine, I get that. But all of this X is better than Y is just shitposting.
>>
>>3261814
I gotta pick nintendo because it was my first console.
>>
>>3263478
There's nothing really likable about Nintendo unless you are really into baby-tier casual games.
>>
>>3262567
>Sports games
SNES had Jam, Super Tecmo Bowl, and Ken Griffey Jr. So that's out the window.
>Blood in Mortal Kombat
Why exactly is that better? Does it make you feel more hardcore like the people who only play CoD, because it is a mature game for mature gamers like you?
>Blast Processing
Was that even a real thing?
>Sonic
The Sonic games were good, especially S3&K, but SMW, Yoshi's Island, and the DKC games were all just as good.
>>
>>3263506
Or Rare Titles... A few good racers. KI Gold...

There were plenty of decent games out there published by Nintendo.

And fun is fun. Stop honing that edge.

It's okay to like Doom AND Donkey Kong Country.
>>
File: Metroid.jpg (82 KB, 500x564) Image search: [Google]
Metroid.jpg
82 KB, 500x564
>>3263506

How does it feel to be so alone?
>>
>>3263535
Rare games are OK (though I prefer their titles before Nintendo bought them out, most notably Battletoads Arcade), but I was strictly referring to in-house Nintendo IP's.
>>
>>3263547
You could've at least posted Super. Metroid has boring level design and easy as fuck bosses.
>>
>>3263552

I like that boxart, but I like all 3 /vr/ Metroids anyway.
>>
>>3263524
>Was that even a real thing?

Yes, Blast Processing refers to the Genesis having a very fast DMA capability.
>>
>>3263604
>DMA capability

what by this you mean?
>>
>>3263607
It basically means the Genesis had fast RAM.
>>
>>3263607

Here's an explanation by the guy who coined the term himself

http://twinfinite.net/2015/11/blastprocessingexsega/

>>3263610
No, it has nothing to do with RAM.
>>
>>3263334
I didn't. You demonstrated unequivocally that you're clueless about Amiga gaming. Are you saying you actually had one but were too retarded to use it for playing games?
>>
>>3263623
>No, it has nothing to do with RAM.

Oh ok.

So where did the data that got jammed onto the graphics chip come from?

When he talks about timings, what part of the console are you actually waiting on?
>>
>>3261814
As a kid, Genesis always seemed like my "main" system. I owned more games for it, and if something was multi-platform, I always got the Genesis version. However, it's hard to argue the fact that the SNES is, far and away, the superior system in terms of specs and game library.

Actually, I'm just realizing that out of all my friends, I think I was the only one who owned an SNES (in addition to a Genesis). Most of my friends had Genesis/PS1, and I had one sorry SOB who owned only an original NES because his mom said he didn't need more than one video game system. Fucker took it like a champ, though.
>>
>>3262605
Does it play PAL games on 60hz? That would be nice.
>>
File: Ruff_'n'_Tumble_(Amiga)_28.gif (1 MB, 319x217) Image search: [Google]
Ruff_'n'_Tumble_(Amiga)_28.gif
1 MB, 319x217
>>3263632

You really want to do this? OK.

Yes, I had an Amiga 500 growing up. I can't really think of a single Amiga game I enjoyed more than the stuff my friends were playing on their NES, SNES and MD.
My favorite games on Amiga were Walker and Ruff 'n' Tumble. Walker because it has a very unique gameplay that can't really be replicated on consoles (it uses mouse), and Ruff 'n' Tumble looks really, really good, one of the best-looking games on Amiga IMO.

But, Walker isn't really all that variated, and Ruff 'n' Tumble looks nice, but gameplay is really average.

Sure there are other games I enjoyed like Turrican, Cannon Fodder and other general PC games like Monkey Island, but there is nothing that really makes me thing "man, the Amiga sure is one of the best systems when it comes to video games".
It was amazing technology but nobody did anything amazing for it. It's just another 80s computer, you're just a blind fanboy if you think the Amiga has better games than SNES and Mega Drive.
>>
>>3263658
Yes, that's exactly what it is. The mod might trip the region lock on a few games but you should disable that chip while you're doing the mod anyway. It's the simplest soldering job in the world.

Here's a tutorial
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snes-5060hz-switch-with-lockout-switch/

Youtube some videos of it in action, definitely worth it for all PAL SNES owners.
>>
>>3261814
it's not comperable as the demographic and style of games on each platform were fundamentally different.
>>
>>3262487
> implying the disabled are worth defending
>>
>>3261830
>shitty sound chip like the SNES
No one ever falls for this meme.
Genesis sounds like shit most of the time, unless you really like machine beeps and farts. It also fails to emulate realistic instruments, everything sounds too artificial and scratchy, specially voices. Having a louder sound doesn't change the fact that it sounds bad in general. Obviously at the right hands any piece of crap hardware could be made to sound good, but then again, those are only exceptions.

I actually like the Genesis and have a couple of different models for the sake of collecting. Still, I can't deny that SNES does a lot better in regards to sound quality.
>>
>>3261814
SNES because I like the library more.
>>
>>3261814
Neither. Regardless of which one is more powerful, both consoles have their strong points and exclusive games. If you limit yourself to only one of them, you'll be missing a lot as a gamer.
>>
>>3264168
Hi Aerosmith-kun, post more GEMS rips by Professor G for us.
>>
>>3264174
Post some Professor G. Ok then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN2RnjFHmNY
>>
>>3264173
>I like everything!!
Dat feel when you got genesis, snes, and ps2 all hooked up to the tv
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.