[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I found this and thought you guys might find it interesting:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 1pIpj4Y.jpg (2 MB, 2786x3862) Image search: [Google]
1pIpj4Y.jpg
2 MB, 2786x3862
I found this and thought you guys might find it interesting: a top 100 games of all time list written in September 1996 published by Next Generation magazine.

http://imgur.com/a/8X4B6

It's like a time capsule and it's really interesting to see how video games were viewed 20 years ago, especially given context today. For just one example, this is pre-Ocarina of Time, so we get a much more subdued look at the Zelda series, in which they say it's great, but it's not held with the same legendary status as it is today.

It's also interesting to think that if this list were made just two years later, it would have been completely different.
>>
>>3261564
pretty good list homie
>>
>>3261564
>http://imgur.com/a/8X4B6

I still have this issue sitting in a box somewhere. It was actually pretty spot on for its time.
>>
>The Lurking Horror
cool

>#1 is a game that hasn't come out yet
less cool, but understandable
>>
>>3261564
>It's like a time capsule and it's really interesting to see how video games were viewed 20 years ago, especially given context today.

that list does NOT give a idea how they were viewed at all. it is heavily biased towards PC and arcade games. Next Generation was always more of a PC mag.

also, Super Bomberman 2 is the 3rd greatest game of all time? fucking really?
>>
>>3261924
They put it there because of its multiplayer.
>>
>>3261924
If such a list were made today, I would imagine that Undertale, Shovel Knight, new-DOOM, and some recent CoD game would all be in the top 10-20. Make that same list again in 10 years and most of them probably wouldn't even rank, or if they did they'd be closer to the bottom.
>>
>>3261564
Virtua Racing higher than Daytona? They're both great, but Daytona is pretty much VR and then some.
>>
>>3261564
Damned good list
>>3261924
>he never played super bomberman 2 on the multitap with 4 players
>>
>>3262198
>and then some
sometimes that's a problem. Got to focus on strengths, not dilute them with gimmicks
>>
Am I nuts? I don't see any Mega Man title on there.
>>
>>3262426
it's an article about good games, do keep up
>>
>Quake
>Many players won't notice, but as opposed to Doom, Quake boasts a true 3D polygon world.

>Many players won't notice
wat? That was like the hottest shit everyone was talking about.

>This enables such features as walking down slopes, under walkways, and looking up and down. Id also added a jump option for the mix.
>implying any of this wasn't possible before
>>
>>3262470
>>implying any of this wasn't possible before
It wasn't in regional dos doom. Source ports add them in.
>>
File: 1457106461523.gif (756 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1457106461523.gif
756 KB, 300x169
>>3262525
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-12-21-43-07.png (332 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-12-21-43-07.png
332 KB, 480x800
>>3262470
I understand that verbage perfectly. They meant that Quake's maps were more fleshed out compared to Doom's dominantly horizontal maps.
>>
>>3262596
"This enables" implies that slopes, being able to walk under walkways and that looking up and down is a direct consequence of the true 3D.
As if non 3D games were "unable" to do so, while they were.

Had Quake not been in full 3D, it would still have all of these features, and since Quake didn't come up with those, they shouldn't concentrate their review of "why Quake is in the top 100" on these points, but instead, on what Quake actually contributed to.

It's like they were told Quake should be in the list but have no idea what really makes it awesome.
>>
>>3261564
Wish the image quality were better, but this is pretty cool. Thanks.
>>
File: uh-oh.jpg (250 KB, 579x739) Image search: [Google]
uh-oh.jpg
250 KB, 579x739
>>3261564
Uh...guys...we have a problem here.
>>
>>3264220
Just.... just let it go, anon.

N-no need to start anything.

You might get somebody killed, please don't do this.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.