[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>no SCART >no VGA WTF is wrong with murricans TV??
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: television_watching.jpg (351 KB, 1600x1166) Image search: [Google]
television_watching.jpg
351 KB, 1600x1166
>no SCART
>no VGA
WTF is wrong with murricans TV??
>>
SCART is inferior in every way to RGB over BNC or Component and NTSC HDTVs had VGA ports until very recently, some still do.
>>
>>3260396
This.

Mine still has a VGA, but really, who even cares about them other than retro fans now? HDMI is the way to go.

Pay 10 bucks for a converter, and you're good to go.
>>
>>3260396
>RGB over BNC

Well why don't any consoles support it, when they support RGB SCART just fine?
>>
>>3260480
RGB is RGB, the console doesn't care what connectors are on the end. Since you generally have to order custom (or vintage/rare) SCART cables anyway, you might as well get any other superior connector.
>>
>>3260449

>HDMI

lag
>>
>>3260585
Throw out your shitty ass Brit CRT TV then
>>
>>3260548
>implying you wouldn't have to special order BNC cables for any game console
Free20l5's faggotry is escaping the CRT thread.
>>
>>3260585
>lag

get a TV with game mode.
>implying your shitty skills are due to lag
>>
>>3260906

"game mode"

wow, *only* two frames of processing lag on top of the analog front-end lag! Instead of the usual twenty!!! What a great setup!

If you said "PC 5ms monitor" you would have at least been close, before I'd point out that you'd still need an expensive analog front-end, (laggy) scaler, and scanline generator to even get close to BVM CRT video quality.
>>
>>3260924
HDMI is good exactly because you don't need a Digital->Analog->Digital conversion.
>>
>>3260939

> Digital->Analog->Digital

Do you know where you are?
>>
>>3260945
On /vr/ were analog computer games are rarely ever relevant.
Tennis for Two isn't going to look great on your BVM either.
>>
>>3260396
>RGB over BNC
I've never seen consumer CRT TVs with BNC RGB connectors. Consumer CRT monitors - yes. TVs - never.
>>
>>3260951

*where

The number of people with true framebuffer -> HDMI readouts on their /vr/ consoles is either zero basically a rounding error.

Jeri Ellsworth might have an HDMI C64 on a workbench somewhere, and there was a bunch of talk about an HDMI N64 mod but I don't know if that ever ended up happening.

Literally the only thing that barely squeaks by is the IBM-compatible pc, as the DVI spec was finalized in April 1999 and hit the market sometime in 1999, according to wikipedia.

SDI came out in 1989, but this was a professional video standard and I am not aware of anything /vr/ that could output it, again with the possible exception of the IBM-compatible PC.

Unless you're some uber-leet hacker, you're basically forced into a Digital-> Analog pass from the framebuffer to your console's RGBs outputs. On a PVM/BVM/SCART tv these signals are amplified and fed directly to the guns and that's it. Your HDTV is simply throwing an additional laggy Analog-> Digital pass at it, followed by another Digital -> Analog pass required by the circuitry in your LCD/OLED.

If you actually have some /vr/ consoles that have a framebuffer feeding directly into an HDMI encoder I'd love to see them.
>>
>not just imaging you're playing the game and having immediate response time

You plebs can't even mentally emulate games. How sad.
>>
60hz

:^)
>>
>>3260904
What? I literally said you WOULD have to do that, you can't 'quote' the opposite of what I said and imply I'm as bad as that namefag. Anon, please.
>>
>>3261093
/thread
>>
>>3260906
>game mode
Cackling Keks Kidman

>>3261097
>not knowing nearly all PAL TVs have done 60hz for decades
>>
nothing wrong with using rf to play retro vidya, my man
>>
>>3261068
Then it's a problem of the systems don't have it. Some only have RF out but that doesn't make RF the best option.
IBM PC accounts for the vast majority of retro games.
>>
>>3260381
>no VGA
My TV has VGA, what the hell is wrong with you people. It's a 42" LG plasma, REALLY nice picture (only a laser TV is better) but it sucks lots of power, puts out tons of heat, and also completely blankets the area in broadband HF interference. I have no idea how this thing passed FCC type acceptance. However I rarely even turn on my TV, and when it's on I'm not also using my radio (I'm a ham) and there are no other affected stations so it's not a huge problem. Basically I'll just keep my mouth shut until the FCC comes pounding on my door, and let them take the damn thing I guess. I'm fairly confident that will never happen.

Get your plasma TVs now anons, they are going to be the next wave of super awesome collectable retro gear and when WWIII happens you can use them to jam the Chinese spies trying to receive orders from Beijing.

Anyway blame the Asians, we burgers don't even make TVs any more.
>>
>>3261068
I'd be happy if my 2600 had a frame buffer period.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.