[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I inherited a Dreamcast from my junkie brother, but no games.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: dreamcast.png (212 KB, 650x419) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast.png
212 KB, 650x419
I inherited a Dreamcast from my junkie brother, but no games. What are some good games to get for it? Here's what I'm planning:

>blue stinger
>crazy taxi
>crazy taxi 2
>d2
>dead or alive 2
>ecco the dolphin: defender of the future
>gauntlet legends
>grandia ii
>guilty gear x
>hydro thunder
>jet "grind" radio
>jo jo's bizarre adventure
>legacy of kain: soul reaver
>metropolis street racer
>phantasy star online ver. 2
>re-volt
>samba de amigo
>san francisco rush 2049
>seaman
>sega gt
>skies of arcadia
>sonic adventure
>sonic adventure 2
>space channel 5
>unreal tournament

I already have the NOT RETRO GameCube versions of Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code Veronica.
>>
>>3260258
Looks like a good list. I would add SoulCaliber, Narvel Vs. Capcom 2 (The unlockable system is so much more satisfying thean the PS2 version), Evil Dead (If you're into the movies), Power Stone 1 and 2, Sega bass Fishing is fun as fuck if you have a fishing reel controller, Shenmue, and probably Worms Armageddon.

You have Skies of Arcadia on the list. Good choice. Still my favorite RPG of all time. They need a re-release of it on a modern platform, with proper marketing, so that they can generate interest for a sequel. If the dreamcast had sold better, Skies would be a flagship RPG by now.
>>
>>3260258

Where is Shenmue 1+2? the GOAT DC games

Also Power Stone 1+2

If you can get a light gun and are using a CRT like you should be House of the Dead 2

Soul Calibur 1
Lack of Love (l.o.l)
Zombie Revenge
Rez
Shadow Man
Daytona USA
re-volt
Ikaruga
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Rival Schools 2 (it hink this might have been project justice in the US)
Rayman 2
Sega Bass Fishing if you can get the rod (it's fun - no really!!)

Also play Virtua Tennis I don't even like tennis and those games are so fun.

Man, honestly, if you enjoy arcadey games (and especially if you have games to play with) there's like 200 pretty good games for the dreamcast.

Hope you got the loud dreamcast and not the L-O-U-D dreamcast. One variation of the dreamcast sounded like a tornado warning for some reason. I've come into contact with many dreamcasts though and that one is rare so it's probably just the loud one.
>>
>>3260275
Ah man you got there before me with some of the same stuff. GOOD STUFF TOP LAD
>>
>>3260258
>>3260275
>>3260276

Add Toy Commander to that list and you're pretty much set for enjoying a great couple of years of gaming !
>>
all you need is ikaruga -- the best shmup ever made.
>>
also Elemental Gimmick Gear

I thought it was going to be terrible.

Turns out it's not bad!
>>
>>3260304
>>3260276
What if I already have the GameCube Ikaruga?
>>
>>3260314
Never played the GC version but honestly I can't imagine it is going to be any different desu
>>
>>3260321
It's about the same. GC is a direct port of the DC version. I have both. The only real difference, is that the GC version just loops a track for the music, instead of mixing it live. It makes the action on screen not line up with the music if you pause at all. I don't know if it's reason enough to buy the DC version if you have the GC version. If money is no object, for whatever reason (wink wink nudge nudge) play the DC version.
>>
>>3260330
Damn that seems pretty lazy @ the music

I thought it would have been pretty much exact considering.
>>
>>3260340
>>3260330
Damn. Tell me how I boot Japanese games on an American Dreamcast.
>>
>>3260304
Overrated
>>
>>3260348
http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/guides/how-to-play-dreamcast-games-from-another-region/

I used option 1 for years before coming across a modded console for cheap at a friend's used shop.
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 500x496
>>3260258
The reason to get a Dreamcast
>>
>>3260351
overmemed

It's a great game with a great mechanic. I play a lot of shmups. I don't go back to any near as often.
>>
>>3260356
I couldn't get into this.

Maybe I just didn't "get it"

It's kind of cool though
>>
>>3260340
Yeah. I can't understand the decision. Maybe it was to reduce processing. When I'm playing it on GC, I pretty much treat it like an arcade title. No pausing for anything. If teh house is on fire, I'll make my exit after game over.
>>
Lack of love
Illbleed
Demolition Racer No Exit
Beats of Rage
Soul Reaver
Super Magnetic Neo
>>
>>3260258
I'm sorry your brother died. My brother was a junkie growing up, he used to steal my games and systems and sell them to pawn shops for drug money. He ended up stabbing a guy in a halfway house in supposed self defense, he cleaned up in jail though. It's funny, for years people just said his personality was a result of the drugs, that he was deep down a decent human being, but even clean he's a huge asshole.

Dreamcast rules though bro, I prefer the gamecube version of PSO and jet set radio future over grind, but Hydro thunderis a great port and D2 is still exclusive (as well as being a sort of swan song for Kenji Eno, certainly his last big game.
>>
I think the Dreamcast is my favourite console.

There's just something about it.

I love how the console looks. I love the start up screen that's on par with the original Playstations (it's better than it but the playstation had a better sound). It was noisy both with the fan and the disc reading though.

I love the controller, it's still one of the comfiest controllers (if not the comfiest to just hold) but it has its problems. No dual analog and the analog being made of the hardest plastic known to man with its blister inducing grip bumps. I love the VMU a real cool idea even though it's mostly useless it's still the greatest memory card.

The image was so clear. The other consoles released after all gave a worse picture. The ps2 especially that was muddy as hell. The dreamcast (through scart on a crt - obviously it could do VGA for some games which made it look even better but most people didn't use that) always looked so much better than the rest.

A lot of its games scream "real fun console!" without seeming like it's for children like the Nintendo consoles. Also it was truly multiplayer. So many multiplayer games. Like consoles should be. A console without multiplayer games is pointless.

Also I'm not a Sega fanboy. I didn't have a Sega console before the Dreamcast. I was all about the Amiga back when the Master system and Megadrive were about and Playstation when the Saturn was.

The Dreamcast not lasting longer was terrible imo
>>
Can't you burn the game roms and isos on a cd and it plays automatically?
>>
File: 1464464524855.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1464464524855.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>3260415
You can.

B-but that's piracy and illegal! So you shouldn't do it!!
>>
>>3260415
Especially if you perform a link83 bios mod like I have. It allows you to skip the boot disc entirely for imports.
>>
My dad build me a VGA box from scratch. He is a tech genius.
>>
>>3260258
As other have noted, Soulcalibur is a must-have if you're a fighting game enthusiast.
I'd advise against Guilty Gear X if you have access to more modern consoles as the XX, XX#R or even Accent Core+ are better.
>>
Are there any JRPGs best played on Dreamcast?
>>
>>3260308
I just finished this game, solid game and I loved the designs
>>
File: dcvga.gif (37 KB, 1101x527) Image search: [Google]
dcvga.gif
37 KB, 1101x527
>>3260430
>He is a tech genius.
HOW DID HE KNOW WHAT THESE NUMBERS AND LINES MEANT?
>>
>console with loads of arcade games
sweet

>from the late 90s
...oh

I just use mine for Yu Suzuki game works and Namco museum desu, GunLord looks sweet but haven't tried it yet
>>
>>3260474
Why are you /v/fags so easy to spot?
>>
>>3260562
The late 90s were an amazing time for arcade games. The fact that the Dreamcast is identical hardware to the Sega Naomi meant that the ports were almost always perfect conversions.
>>
File: 1462844484880-1.jpg (2 MB, 1530x1530) Image search: [Google]
1462844484880-1.jpg
2 MB, 1530x1530
>>3260258
>>
>>3260415
As long as it doesn't have a 2 in a circle on the bottom. 1 or empty circle and you're good.

>>3260428
Or you could just region patch the games you burn
>>
You can buy an SD card adapter to play games from an sd card.
>>
>>3260813

Does that work well?
>>
>>3260258
>I inherited a Dreamcast from my junkie brother,

Good riddance, another drug using piece of shit sent to hell where he belongs.
I bet the Dreamcast is covered in grime and filth.
>>
sorry for your loss anon.
street fighter 3 alpha is a fun game
so is super magnetic neo
>>
>>3260447
>Port Soul Caliber to 360/PS3
>Take out single player

How did they get away with this?

It's Silent Hill HD Collection tier.
>>
>>3261043
So edgy, faggot. He was probably of more use to the world than you'll ever be.
>>
>>3260820
Not really. The bandwidth of the network jack is less than the optical drive so FMVs and even streaming audio stutters plus you have to be able to boot a burned disc anyway to start the loader.
>>
I got a dreamcast recently, I've gotta grease mine, I think. I know its a loud console but all my friends and I were Sony kiddies so I never really encountered a dreamcast until I bought one. I can't tell if mines comically loud or if it's normal. I'm thinking about downloading RE2/3 roms cause I dont have the cash to buy psx copies at the moment, but the crunching when the disc reader moves every couple seconds kills me. I can live with the memory card beeps and the loud fans, but the reader is making me want to build a semi soundproof box just to drown it out.

Anyways, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 looks great on DS, at least compared to the PSX version. Dino Crisis is pretty cool too if you want more Resident Evil, albeit pseudo-RE.
>>
>>3265208
Oh hey, so I bought some white lithium grease and oh my god did greasing the gears in the CD reader make a difference. It's still probably the loudest console I own (maybe not as loud as my desktop under load, I guess), but now it's nowhere near as loud as my TV.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.