[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you guys recommend me PSX games with good world building/plot?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: PlayStation.jpg (263 KB, 1280x587) Image search: [Google]
PlayStation.jpg
263 KB, 1280x587
Can you guys recommend me PSX games with good world building/plot? Any genre is welcomed.
>>
>>3259430
Tactics ogre

although the writing/ plot/world is much better on the psp remake.
>>
>>3259430
FFT
Threads of fate
Any tomb raider
Valkyrie Profile
>>
>>3259430
Final Fantasy VII's worldbuilding and character drama is legitimately really good. Something I never noticed until I got over, but keep in mind that it's still got a fair amount of FF goofiness and some writing issues here and there.

Seconding FFT and Tactics Ogre. Valkyrie Profile's up there too - the short story-like setup for recruits adds a lot to the world. I thought Dragon Warrior VII's world building was excellent as well, but it's a pretty slow game (aside from combat) which grates people a bit. It's best to play in bursts, going through each story segment at at time and taking a little break.
>>
Thanks for the responses, I already played some of these games but I'm definitely checking out the others.
Another question: are the Wild Arms games any good in this aspect?
>>
>>3259568
I'm playing the first right now. World's fun and the atmosphere's nice, but it is a bit disappointingly standard JRPG fare in a lot of respects. Was hoping for the western influence to spread a bit more into the story, but it's still a pretty neat game so far.
>>
>>3259592
My brother has them that's why I asked and the Western theme seemed interesting.

Last question then I'll go to bed: what about the 2 Suikoden games? Never actually played them but I know the series for its fame (also the translation is really poor from what I understand).
And thank you again for the replies anons
>>
File: Front_Mission_3_Coverart.png (138 KB, 256x254) Image search: [Google]
Front_Mission_3_Coverart.png
138 KB, 256x254
Front Mission 3! Seriously, its so under appreciated. It's got a hard sci-fi story and also has an in-game internet that really helps flesh the world out. The characters are all a bit lacking, however.
>>
File: Vagrantstorybox.jpg (70 KB, 256x254) Image search: [Google]
Vagrantstorybox.jpg
70 KB, 256x254
This and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
>>
>>3259430
Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver.
>>
Silent Hill
>>
>>3259430
Suikoden
Suikoden II
>>
>>3259430
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile is pretty good. Game looks pretty childish but the story is nice.
>>
>>3259430
Wild Arms series
Parasite Eve 1 and 2
Brave Fencer Musashi has a great world if you can stand the gameplay.
>>
File: ace3-05-1024.jpg (197 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ace3-05-1024.jpg
197 KB, 1024x768
>>3259430
>good world building/plot?

Ace Combat 3 has that but it's only partially translated, it's an air combat game so if you're tired of RPG and tactical games, there's that (well, half for now).
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.