[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your guys' opinion on flash carts like sd2snes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (535 KB, 1126x845) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
535 KB, 1126x845
What's your guys' opinion on flash carts like sd2snes? I feel like it pleases emulation faggots and also has some appeal to real retro gamers since you can play it on original hardware for cheap (no paying for expensive games and also translation patches can be used for imports without ruining your original cart).
>>
>>3259389
Fuck off faggot

>>3259328
emulation is my go to for consoles that are hard to find boxed for, as loose carts don't really do much for me on a shelf.
>>
>>3259328
Thinking of picking this up, I tend to just be a guy who wants to play shit on a CRT. So even a Wii with VC emulation will do for me most of the time.

But since I have a SNES with Super Famicom controllers lying around (Japs always sell the cleanest controllers), I'm tempted to play a lot of translated JRPGs that I never played in my childhood on the real thing. It's a kind of weird frankenstein of a setup though.
>>
File: IMG_20160209_195621.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160209_195621.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>3259328
unless the ability to play mega man x 2 and 3, mario kart and pilot wings are worth $150 to you I would just go for the super everdrive
>>
>>3259328
Literally all of them are shit since they don't support almost any SNES chip, like the SA-1 and Super-FX, so you're going to be missing a shit ton of great games.
>>
>>3259480
>shit ton
you mean like 8?
>>
>>3259328

Why does it have a "nerd" button?
>>
>>3259505
they made it for you
>>
>>3259328
I really dig them. Good way to have absolute accuracy and the like without shelling out for ridiculous markups on some titles. I got an SD2SNES a while ago and was pretty blown away by the quality. Being able to play fan translations and other hacks on my actual SNES is nice, and playing a few of my favorite games like UmiKawa and Earthbound without having to shell out assloads for each cart is great.

Stuff like MSU-1 support is pretty fun as well, even if it's pretty hit and miss from project to project. Cool for the novelty if nothing else.

>>3259480
cool, so get a flashcart and the few games that use those chips that you like. they're not even the rarest titles or most expensive in the library.
>>
I have a couple. I like them. Lets you play the originals authentically and don't have to fuck around with overpriced collectors shit.

And lazy, don't have to bother swapping out cartridges to play different games.
>>
>>3259328
I think they're great for kids too young to have ever heard of a game doctor. If I hadn't been playing ROMs on original hardware for over two decades I'd be excited about them to.
Wouldn't dream about paying $200+ they're asking for the sd2nes though. I have originals of anything that needs more than a DSP1
>>
>>3259328
I have a Mega Everdrive and a Master Everdrive. Shit's tight.
Before any of you ask, the Master Everdrive I use with my FM sound modded SMS.
>>
I was considering an SD2SNES, but I don't know if I can justify that price tag considering it can't play SuperFX/SA-1 games.

Then again, there's really no such thing as a cheap retro flash cart, is there?
>>
>>3259918

Nope, at least the Super Everdrive is a tad cheaper and plays basically all the same shit. SD2SNES is just broken promises in flashcart form, paying extra for 'potential' upgrades and all that dumb shit. A hacked Wii's better than either, honestly. Get a SNES controller adapter and you're golden.
>>
>>3260000

>hacked wii

1-4 frames of lag
>>
>>3259473
>unless the ability to play mega man x 2 and 3, mario kart and pilot wings are worth $150 to you I would just go for the super everdrive

I don't know why people keep saying this shit. The SuperED can handle DSP games. You can either get it with a DSP chip pre-installed for another $20, or if you can solder worth a damn you can just grab some cheap DSP title like Andretti Racing or Ballz and install it yourself.

>>3260000
>SD2SNES is just broken promises in flashcart form
Quads of truth right there. CX4 and a few other odds and ends got done, but everyone was kinda expecting the lead dev to put effort into emulating every chip possible, not just say "It's open source so ANYONE could do it!" So SuperFX sits under "To Do:" and SA-1 sits under "To be determined:", just like they have since 2012.

In October of 2012, it was "CX4 took months, SuperFX is more complex, so it will take me at least till the end of the year. Then in May 2013 it was "So, SuperFX uses pipe-lining. How do I pipeline?" Then in January 2014, "Ok, I can't figure out SuperFX, gonna work on easier stuff." So he made one of the Super Scope games function in March of 2014. What has he done in the two years since? Worked real hard on doing a cheat menu, and still hasn't gotten it done.

It took him 14 months to figure out he has no idea what he's doing, and over two years to figure out how to implement cheats and counting. Anyone who thinks the SD2SNES will ever have SuperFX or SA-1 support is delusional.
>>
>>3262396
The DSP still wouldn't get you the X games, but I'm sure you're already entirely aware of that.

Doesn't the SD2SNES also have incorrect implementation of the CX4? I could have sworn hearing something about it being set to run considerably faster than the real thing would, though I could just be mis-remembering things.
>>
>>3262396

What is it with people that have no idea what they're doing developing these things? The PSIO has gone through a similar development and post-development hell. Was marketed as plug-and-play and 99% compatible and neither of those things turned out true. At least I saw the writing on the wall enough to not order one, SD2SNES seriously led people on.
>>
Take SD2SNES only is SNES is your passion and you have enough money to afford such a huge price rise for just a few nicer details.

I did. I love SNES, and having instand loading times and being able to try a wider array of roms and romhacks, including MSU1, was enough for me. But I know that objetively, SuperEverdrive is the best bang for your buck.
>>
>>3262396
instead of real development the guy is just fucking over with the sound of msu1 add-on, just read the cock sucking in this thread http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5142.75

as for sfx and sd1 kevtris is working on it so it will be done.
>>
>>3259870

Yeah same here, I had a Super Magic Drive and later a Smartbros, and it always amuses me greatly when they make posts about "it uses roms, therefor emulation!"

Idiot kids.
>>
>>3263301
yup, this guy
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5124.45
>>
>>3263517
>Smartbros
Sweet. A 128M smart bros with a CD would compare well to the best modern flash carts and embarrass them with it's multi system support. That's the thing I love about my MGD2, the number of systems it supports. I have all the cards except GG. I don't actually use it to play neo geo because I have an MVS and multi cart. But it's just so satisfying to know that I have a 25 year old neo geo flash cart and every kid here will tell you making one is impossible.
>>
>>3263516
>as for sfx and sd1 kevtris is working on it so it will be done.
Not exactly. Kevtris IS working on an FPGA implementation of the SA-1 chip, but using a different type of FPGA than the SD2SNES. And neither him nor Ikari have mentioned Kevtris sharing the information with Ikari or otherwise letting Ikari profit off of Kevtris's work. While we might see a flashcart that can do SA-1, it might not be the SD2SNES. Just last month Ikari said "It remains to be seen if SA1 fits the FPGA at all and if there is enough room left for the MSU1 stuff if it does."

There has been no mention of the SuperFX by Kevtris, and none by Ikari since he gave up on it, other than to hint on forums that he might one day, eventually, possibly, get back to trying to figure it out.

Don't get me wrong, I have faith in Kevtris. I just don't have any faith in Ikari, and I don't expect Kevtris to deal with Ikari either.
>>
>>3259328
I'm interested for the translation patches. Lots of SFC exclusive RPGs
>>
>>3259328

Best option for people who want to play on original hardware. ~90 dollars for 99% of a consoles library is better than spending 90 dollars for 8 games. It's cheaper than buying real carts.
>>
>>3263732
>A 128M smart bros with a CD

You know I totally forgot you could hook up a cdrom to that thing, didn't you need some sort of cartridge slot thing though?
I need to look into that, would be a fun project.
>>
>>3264394
I never had a smart bros but the GD CD ROM was just a soundblaster interface drive wired to to the parallel port. Don't know if the smart bros did the same. If so it might be a bit hard to find these days. Another option is to just use a PC with a parallel port. I do that with my v64jr because that's all it offers.
>>
File: 1403128675688.jpg (39 KB, 500x641) Image search: [Google]
1403128675688.jpg
39 KB, 500x641
> $90+ for a flashcart

why not buy them for $30 off aliexpress? Isnt that where all this shit comes from originally anyway?
>>
>>3264527
>but the GD CD ROM was just a soundblaster interface drive wired to to the parallel port

Hmm, might try to get that working someday just for shits n giggles. I got like 3 snes flashcarts here so my copiers are only on display for nostalgic reasons.
>>
>>3264679
I still use mine. Mostly for managing saves on original carts, something most modern flash carts can't do. Also for dumping. In the last couple years I've come across two SFC carts that hadn't been dumped. Nothing really exciting but some people want anything that hasn't been dumped to be dumped. Having save states and screen caps is also nice for comparing differences with emulation.
>>
>>3264823
>something most modern flash carts can't do

Yeah, the only one that can do that is the Super Ufo Pro 8.
but other than that its not really a good flashcart when compared to the other ones.

Still, I like the GUI. wish more flashcarts adopted the old skool copier gui look. I miss those.
>>
>>3264561

No. Unless you mean shitty chinese knockoffs.
>>
>>3265949
That's also why you constantly hear kids whining about their saves. I have shit from the early 90's. Backed up on a backup of an old laptop on a server. When you could just copy from a cart to a floppy in a few seconds you did it regularly.

I don't even use the GUI on one of my UFO7s. I modded it and swapped in a floppy emulator ages ago. Now you punch in a number on the front and it loads the game. May sound kind of silly but it's actually much quicker than scrolling through >9000 games on a modern cart.
>>
Flashcarts will always be the most economical way to play the majority of the library on the original console.

Undisputed fact.

That's all there is.

Some people like real carts, others prefer emulators. I like to play on real hardware and don't currently own any flash carts (but a N64 v3 and a Turbo Everdrive are in the mail)
>>
>>3259480
2 Kirby games
Super Mario Kart
Pilot Wings
Dungeon Master
Super Mario RPG

That's it. Everything else is esoteric japanese shit.
>>
>>3259328
I think they are pretty nice. I've only used an DS flashcart. But other than being unable to run this boogie dance game, it's worked fine for me.

Having a scene DRM patcher tool has helped me with my collection.
>>
File: 1383614983464.gif (2 MB, 500x222) Image search: [Google]
1383614983464.gif
2 MB, 500x222
>>3264561
>aliexpress
Fuck that website. Why the fuck isn't there any cheaper N64 flashcarts? I'd buy one right now If I didn't have to shell out 150$ for one
>>
>>3270171
>I'd buy one right now If I had any money
>>
>>3270171
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-By-Singapore-Post-ED64-plus-Game-Save-Device-for-EUR-PAL-version-Enhanced-version/32308247360.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.2.Nkluq7&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_1_10037_10017_507_10032_401,searchweb201603_9&btsid=384af9f9-f6b4-4e6e-9e87-2d9046826b0e

There's nothing over $75 for N64 flash carts, are you serious? AliExpress kicks major ass, man.
>>
>>3266025
You do realize they're all officially licensed and approved by your lord and savior Krikkz right?
>>
>>3270352
Which is WHY the GameBoy chinese everdrive kills it's own battery every two weeks. Because they are official.
>>
>>3270451
That literally has no bearing on whether your friend Krikkz sold them the designs, firmware, and license to sell (which he did). They are, by definition, not knockoffs but officially licensed Krikkz merchandise.
>>
>>3271564
>Krikkz sold them the designs, firmware, and license to sell (which he did)
Do you have any proof? I'm guessing no, since it isn't true.

Why are you still posting?
>>
>>3271572
Here's a direct quote from your boy:
>Actually it is not a clone. I have a deal with guy from China, he bought chips with preinstalled firmware from me, i provide all information and pcb sources. He use my chips to assemble the carts and sell carts in china.

Fuck off, do some research if you're going to shill.
>>
I don't really care about original hardware. I care about being able to play video games without them fucking up.

For most /vr/ - 4th gen and earlier - emulators work fine.
PS1 emulation is mostly fine, but there's a lot of N64 and Saturn shit that doesn't work right. So I have both of those consoles, and I have the means to pirate games on both of them.
6th gen is out of the scope of this board, but it's also worth mentioning that I appreciate how easy it is to softmod those platforms.

tl;dr flashcarts only matter to me when they're a viable alternative to emulation.
>>
>>3271589
Read your OWN FUCKING COMMENTS YOU MOUTHBREATHER.

You follow the link, it's not aliexpress chinese knock-offs, it's ONE guy who sells legit everdrives, AS AN OFFICIAL SELLER. Those are NOT the chinese knock-offs we've been talking about, but I figure you're just "pretending to be retarded".

You are really this stupid?
>>
>>3271645
Keep it up bb, you're doing great! How many rubles are being deposited in your Official Krikzz© Account for posting here? Maybe you can get us all discounts with your sick connections.
>>
>>3271661
>namedrops some literally who
>uses shill meme
You run out of BS?
>>
>>3271772
>Namedrops
>Some
>Literally
>Who

You're still in denial about this? Additionally, the English language would like a word with you.
>>
>>3263387
I was under the impression that SD2SNES supported DSP whereas everdrive did not. Is that incorrect?
>>
>>3272186
Both support DSP, but you will either need to pay an extra $20 for the DSP or solder your own DSP chip into the SuperED.

>>3272076
Ok, I'm interested now. Who the fuck is bb, and why do you think I'm him?
>>
>>3259394
Fuck off child.
>>
>>3272186
Games sd2snes can't do
https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

Games SuperED can't do
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips
(Minus DSP-1 games *if* you get it installed. That's an optional extra $20 that'll but you a bit closer to the SD2SNES price...)
>>
>>3260587
Input lag is a meme. 99.9% of people can't notice lag lower than 50ms.
>>
>some games are really expensive
>flash carts are expensive as well

Why aren't poor people allowed to play games on the original hardware?
>>
>>3273028
>99.9% of underage can't notice lag lower than 50ms.
FTFYU
>>
>>3268196
>Mega Man X2 and Mega Man X3
>Star Fox
>Yoshi's Island
>esoteric japanese shit
>>
>>3273886
You can get a chip for X2 and X3 for 20 extra bucks in an everdrive.

Fair point about Yoshi's Island and SMRPG though.
>>
>>3274820
>>You can get a chip for X2 and X3 for 20 extra bucks in an everdrive.
Nope, SD2SNES supports 'em though.
>>
>>3274820
You can only add a DSP-1 chip to an Everdrive which is not the chip Mega Man X2/3 uses.
>>
>>3274831
>>3274830
Guess I'm the faggot then.
>>
>>3259328
Emulation is better. I have 2 flashdrives. (SNES/N64) Dont forget you're playing on at least 20yr old hardware. Emu's can do alot more than your console. But if your a console fag, get one because dem gaems is expensive.
>>
>>3274946
How is emulation better on N64?

I can see the argument for SNES, since it's pretty damn near perfect these days, but N64 emulation blows and will for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>3274946
>Emu's can do alot more
I have a CRT so I don't need your hipster filters and I got gud so I don't need save states. What can your emulators do for me that I might want?
Not even trying to be a dick. I've emulated and don't see any point except mobile.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.