[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about the Wonderswan. Only thing I know about it is that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: WonderSwan[1].png (513 KB, 640x393) Image search: [Google]
WonderSwan[1].png
513 KB, 640x393
Tell me about the Wonderswan. Only thing I know about it is that it was fairly popular in Japan.

Is it worth the import?
>>
Please respond
>>
>>3258894

I have a few. It's a nice handheld and very cheap (usually). Don't overpay, but you might pay a premium for shipping out of JP.

Be VERY careful when buying games for it. I would say 95% of the games on it are completely unplayable to people who don't speak Japanese fluently. It's easy to get fooled by a game with an English title and then you get it and it's not even a game, it's a visual novel fully in Japanese. Emulate before you commit to buying.

There's a black and white and a color version, the B&W is very cheap, but will not play color games, it is not forwards compatible. The color will play all games. B&W games are in a black case, color in transparent case.

But if you're just starting out I say get a cheap black and white one for about $10 and Gunpey and a couple games to see if you like it.

My recommendations:
Gunpey (only game I know of that's fully in English)
Crazy Climber
Run & Dim (one of the few shooters, pretty good too)
Ultraman (the best Ultraman game I've ever played, but that's not saying much)
any train sim (just for shits and giggles, they're cheap and actually pretty fun to screw around with)
>>
>>3258894
>Is it worth the import?
Wouldn't know. I bought all mine for ¥100 at the local flea market.
Good machine with some fun games though.
>>
>>3258894
It actually depends on what you're looking for in games.

>>3259493 's recommendation is pretty ok. Adding on to that is Buffers Evolution and Klanoa.

In my opinion, I'd recommend the digimon games as due to its nature as a Bandai console, many IPs that Bandai had had games developed on it, and much of those were the digimon games. The first one was a tamagotchi clone, not too hard to navigate aside from the sparse amount of japanese in it. The second game, Anode and Cathode Tamer, had an english korean release.
>>
i love mine, it's got a lot of weird games and it's cheap to collect for. hoping the coming flashcarts get us some more vertical shooters too.
>>
>>3259907
In all honesty, the homebrew collection is really huge. Looked through the collection and found plenty of very interesting creations.
>>
Only play if for Klonoa.
>>
I always wanted one for the Dragon Ball games that are on there but I assume I wouldn't be able to play them.
>>
unless youre a hc weeb i dont think ull be touching it after the first couple of days. try emulating some games and see if there something in it.
>>
>>3260576
>i'm completely unfamiliar with the library
>>
For you.
>>
Its a digimon handheld, dont get it if you dont like digimon games
>>
>>3263313
See >>3261565
>>
>8 shades of monochromatic pixels
>16 cpu
>40 hour battery life off one AA cell
>built-in memory

Holy shit I am buying one. I'll learn moon rune in the meantime.
>>
>>3263672
Get a color. It's backwards compatible.
>>
>>3264486

It has probably the worst color screen I've ever seen on any handheld. I was lucky, the first Wonderswan handheld I got was a Swancrystal, which has the best screen of them all (but still not great).

If anyone just wants to try this console out, I say go for the B&W original. If you're not careful you'll get frustrated with all the unplayable games for non Japanese speakers.

>>3263672
good selling points for the B&W console
>>
What games make use of holding it the long way?
>>
>>3264723
Judgement silver sword for one. Awesome shmup
>>
>>3258894
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbReNENRMA8
This is probably the best thing you can watch for it.
>>
I have the Final Fantasy 1 Color model. Love it to pieces. My favorite game is probably Digimon Card Battle. I have no idea what the cards do, but you eventually figure it out and it gets pretty fun. It's also one of those games you play vertically. I really do need to buy more games for it. I only have FF1, Digimon Cathode, Digimon Brave Tamer, Digimon Card Battle, and the Digital Monster V-Pet (sadly did not get the connector with it and that's a bitch to find on it's own).
>>
>>3258894
it has a Junji Ito game manga thing?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.