[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the NES so highly regarded? Especially among hipsters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9
File: famicom-awesome.gif (325 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
famicom-awesome.gif
325 KB, 500x281
Why is the NES so highly regarded? Especially among hipsters? It’s equal or usually inferior to the Famicoms in every way but game carts being able to be taken apart easier.

Is it a left over from the 90s like a lot of retro myths? I used to like the NES till the 2000s when I learned more about Famicoms.

The cart connectors sucks. It’s just plain terrible. A neat novelty at best.

The controllers are uncomfortable and inferior to the Famicom and Famicom/NES dogbone.

The NES consoles takes AC and has the rectifier circuit inside the console. Terrible design that causes excess heat and poor efficiency. From someone that mods these pieces of shit it’s a bitch to get at the caps in this circuit since they’re incased in a metal shielding box.

Then you have sound difference. A game like Zelda II sounds completely different on the Famicom disk system.
>>
The famicom looks like a cheap piece of shit.
>>
>>3258482
Because it is, duh.
>>
>>3258467

Because the people you're talking about grew up in the west, so they had an NES and therefore their memories and nostalgia are tied to it, you goddamn idiot. They don't care about the Famicom because they're not enthusiasts.

At last we've plumbed the depths of this nigh unfathomable mystery. We can go home, and rest easy.
>>
>>3258467
>Why is the NES so highly regarded?

Because it has more classic games than any other system. No one's claiming it's not poorly made hardware.
>>
>>3258489
>so they had an NES and therefore their memories and nostalgia are tied to it, you goddamn idiot.
This doesn't apply to other consoles in the same way as NES though.
>>
>>3258503

This guy is specifically comparing it to the Famicom. Otherwise, the answer is also painfully obvious: whatever was popular in that region is what people will regard highly. I'm sure many South Americans and Europeans have a ton of nostalgia for the Master System, and Europe for the ZX Spectrum and such.
>>
>>3258489
Nostalgia is pretty much cancer and AIDS. It leads people to spectacular levels of delusion.
>>
File: hello.png (312 KB, 507x451) Image search: [Google]
hello.png
312 KB, 507x451
>>3258467

You wot m8?
>>
>>3258508
There's clear hardware difference with the NES and Famicom though?
>>
>>3258508
The Sega Master System and ZX spectrum are both shit systems with no good games. The NES easily beats both.
>>
>>3258527
>personal computer
>shit system
It's not computer's problem if you can't write a game.
>>
>>3258467
Smells like an Australia-kun post.
>>
>>3258493
>No one's claiming it's not poorly made hardware.
A lot of people state the NES was designed very well.
>>
>>3258523

And enthusiasts care about that. We're not talking about enthusiasts.

>>3258510

That's great. Nobody is talking about the merits of nostalgia.

>>3258527

Nobody said they were better. It's just an example of market share generating nostalgia and regard amongst the average person.
>>
File: avf21[1].jpg (182 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
avf21[1].jpg
182 KB, 1024x683
NES = Famicom
To make a big deal out of the difference makes you a neckbeard and to insist the Famicom is superior makes you a weeb
>>
>>3258569
>And enthusiasts care about that. We're not talking about enthusiasts.
Kinda of generalizing there man.

I get people just want nostalgia. Doesn't mean you ignore defaults.
>>
>>3258575
Top loader and AV famicom are vastly different.
>>
>>3258575
Why did japan get nice compact cassettes while the nes had huge ass game paks
>>
File: nes.jpg (893 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
nes.jpg
893 KB, 1600x1200
>>3258629
No idea, namefag. Most of them just have a bunch of empty space inside. Same with US SNES carts.
>>
>>3258629
Because of the whole American videogame crash thing and wanting to distance themselves from older consoles to market it as a toy.
>>
>>3258467
>lcd
Triggered.
>>
>>3258629
The official reason is that there was a negative stigma surrounding video game consoles in the U.S. at the time and NOA designed the NES to make it look more like a VCR and as unlike as a game console as possible. Personally, I think NOA were just being pretentious cunts. I don't know how calling their ROM cartridges "game paks" was supposed to help with that?
>>
>>3258467
>The NES consoles takes AC and has the rectifier circuit inside the console. Terrible design that causes excess heat and poor efficiency.
Uhh what? The NES uses like 6 watts or something even with poor efficiency the console will never get very hot which is why they don't even require fans.

It really doesn't matter whether the rectification is done in the console or not, it's not a very inefficient process to begin with. Most of the losses in the power supply circuit come from the voltage regulator and I'm pretty sure a lot of them have a voltage regulator in the console the famicom included.
>>
>>3258705
>Uhh what? The NES uses like 6 watts or something even with poor efficiency the console will never get very hot which is why they don't even require fans.
NES get up to over 60c.

A big reason to that is the diodes dumping voltage to heat.
>>
>>3258467
>The cart connectors sucks. It’s just plain terrible. A neat novelty at best.
So get the NES101 or famicom.

>The controllers are uncomfortable and inferior to the Famicom and Famicom/NES dogbone.
So get the NES101 controller.

>Then you have sound difference. A game like Zelda II sounds completely different on the Famicom disk system.
And requires an entire other console to play them.
>>
File: 1438074416924.jpg (45 KB, 495x363) Image search: [Google]
1438074416924.jpg
45 KB, 495x363
>Tfw AV Famicom masterrace

Also, you're lying about the famicom/dogbone being better. Regular, or NES Max are the best.
>>
>>3258728
>So get the NES101
And if I want AV out with out jail bars everywhere?
>>
>>3258723
Probably depends on what voltage is being given to it. As long as its not localized to the CPU or PPU or any of the other crucial components the most it will do is burn out the rectifier though. That would happen anyway even if you put it inside the power adapter so it's kinda pointless to bring up.
>>
>>3258743
Emulate
>>
>>3258745
>That would happen anyway even if you put it inside the power adapter so it's kinda pointless to bring up.
That's the whole point of having DC input.

You take out a huge factor of electronic failure to a replaceable piece. The PSU.

It's not easy or quick to replace the rectifier circuit parts in a NES. The shield is needed to prevent all the RF interference dumping into the console.
>>
>>3258530
more of a personal calculator
>>
>>3258584
In what ways?
>>
>>3258584
No. VCS and Dreamcast are vastly different.
>>
>>3258761
Other than the 60 vs 72 pin cartridge connector the AV Famicom has a SNES style multi out that only has the composite pins functional.
>>
>>3258761
Different power schematics
Different cart connector.
Different a/v output capability.
Different expandability.
>>
>>3258753
That's true that's one advantage of doing it that way.

I'm thinking the reason Nintendo did it this way may have been because the console was primarily advertised to children. They didn't want people(mostly children) taking apart those power adapters when they broke(and potentially exposing themselves to mains voltages) so they put the transformer which is a fairly sturdy device inside the adapter and sealed it up and the put the rest of the power circuit(which is all low voltage) inside the console.

But doing it this way also means the NES can take both AC and DC, the only requirement is that the voltage and current be sufficient and the connector fits.
>>
>>3258467
>The NES consoles takes AC and has the rectifier circuit inside the console.

I thought the NES take 9V DC and 1.3 AMPs?
>>
>>3258781
I think it was probably a case of them already making the NES oversized that they decided it didn't matter.

I think it greatly simplifies the RF circuit too.
>>3258783
You can feed it 9v DC instead of AC. Wont be efficient at all.
>>
>>3258804
>Wont be efficient at all.

Does this mean that it will overheat and wear out the NES internal organs?
Or that the power bill will be more costly?
>>
>>3259015
The latter. It'll cost you 79 cents a month unless you unplug the DC adapter when you're not using it vs only as much AC power as you actually use with the factory adapter.
>>
You just mention it as "sound difference", but Zelda 2 is much better on NES. The leveling system is more forgiving, load times are faster, and the dungeons are more colorful.
>>
>>3259349
Comparison of sound. Not the actual game.
>>
>>3258527
It should considering Nintendo illegally acquired 3rd party games in the 80s
>>
>>3258671
>to make it look more like a VCR
That's honestly pretty cool tho..I love those over the top VCR designs like the front loader NES which is classic

The cartridges are way too big and bulky though
If anything if they used the same versions as the Famicom they could have made it look like a Casette Deck...Game Pak's just look weird
>>
Who the fuck is explicitly stating that the NES is superior to the Famicom? People regard the system highly for the games, not the hardware. The pin connector issue is well known and I have yet to see anyone defending it.
>>
File: 1446089846699.jpg (84 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1446089846699.jpg
84 KB, 600x600
>>3258467
Most people grew up with the Nes and most people can't understand Japanese. Also having the controllers hardwired in was a dumb decision.
>>
File: DSCN0897.jpg (459 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0897.jpg
459 KB, 1600x1200
>>3258645
>>3258629
its most likely because of the front loading design.

NES was cool because it had a/v out with standard cables and the games and controllers were tough. the blinking light issue is easily solved buy cleaning and tweaking the connector pins a little.

found this literally being used as a doorstop in a junkyard. guy gave it to me. cleaned it up fixed the connector up and it still works great.
>>
>>3259962
And the wires are fucking short aaand the come out of the console's back

>>3259868
Which ones?
>>
>>3258467
>Why is the NES so highly regarded? Especially among hipsters? It’s equal or usually inferior to the Famicoms in every way but game carts being able to be taken apart easier.
Because these people live in the west where this is the most familiar and easy to find design.

Also most people aren't as familiar, or care about, the specifics of the hardware the same way you do. They just want a system to play the games, preferably in a language they can read.
>>
>>3258467
I remember getting my first NES Control Deck package for Christmas back in 1987, and man, was it something else. I had friends at school I would trade games with so we could try out different games among one another, and we'd return each others games once we were through. You'd put games in the freezer on those hot summer days when the NES ran a bit hot laying there on the thick carpet, but it was always reliable.

You'd run through your mill of games like the Super Mario Brothers series, Metroid, Kid Icarus, The Legend of Zelda and The Adventures of Link, but you had third party support from (what were back then) GREAT companies like Capcom with Street Fighter 2010, Section Z, Mega Man and Bionic Commando, to other companies like Ultra with Skate or Die, The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or a company like Konami and their Gradius, Life Force, their Castlevania series to Tecmo with Ninja Gaiden, and SO many other great games.

It was never about the comparison to other systems or, debates on who's graphics were better. It was about inviting your friends over on the weekend and eating burgers with fries while you bellyached about the sad rentals you got from Blockbuster video. You know the ones I'm talking about oldfags: remember renting Bubble Bath Babes by mistake?

Only kids who grew up in the late 80's and early 90's know what it feels like.

You can talk all the technical jargon you want, but unless you held a Zapper in your hand or put duck tape down to hold your Power Pad in place (or used your hands to cheat like a motherfucker), you won't know the feeling of that era.

Sure, you can emulate it now. And that's good. But man, having lived through that era myself as well as others, you wouldn't trade that feeling for the world. The NES was a childhood memory for oldfags like myself, and there's no denying the happiness it brought to so many.

You can't mod that kind of feeling. Ever.
>>
>>3259995
>Because these people live in the west where this is the most familiar and easy to find design.
Maybe in North America.
>>
>>3258467
>Especially among hipsters
“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own).

You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.
>>
>>3260012
I kinda wish I could feel that way.
But when I look at a NES, instead of feeling nostalgic, I'm just reminded of not getting the expansion audio, not getting the disk system with $5 game-rewrites (and its own extra audio), not getting Final Fantasy II and III and other RPGs I would have loved like Metal Max and Fire Emblem.
>>
>>3260050
You sound like the kind of person who unironically uses words like "problematic"
>>
>>3260051
Is this nigga serious?
>>
>>3260051
>implying you knew any of that shit existed at the time
>not salty about mother 1 being fully translated and unreleased
>>
>>3260297
You couldn't tell from his OP?

>>3260051
Expansion audio is a trivial mod and you can play FDS games from an Everdrive N8. If you get pissed at every console that didn't get English RPG localizations then you better get pissed at all of them especially since something tells me that you can't read Japanese anyway.
>>
>>3260375
Does it matter whether or not he knew any of that at the time? Doesn't mean he can't look back now and realise Americans got screwed compared to Japanese.
>>
>>3258737

I would like the dogbone controller more if it had concave buttons.
>>
>>3258743
NES-101 doesn't even have AV out, buy an AV Famicom and a pin adapter and call it a day. It's the ultimate in 'NES' hardware.
>>
>>3259868
It wasn't illegal at the time so that argument doesn't hold water.
>>
File: ff1a2-cib-2[1].jpg (73 KB, 450x325) Image search: [Google]
ff1a2-cib-2[1].jpg
73 KB, 450x325
>>3258629
Some Famicom games came in taller carts and the first NES games were the Japanese board and a converter in the same cart. I'm guessing NoA wanted a cart size that could fit anything.
>>
>>3258467
It was the breakpoint between video games being a way to kill 5 minutes and games being an actual experience.
>>
>>3261020
That's the Apple ][.
>>
File: sl.jpg (32 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
sl.jpg
32 KB, 400x300
>>3260012
>only kids who grew up in the late 80's and early 90's know what it feels like.
Except that's wrong you Gen X twat. Blockbuster went strong into the mid 2000's. Did you forget it died in the late 2000's? I had those same experiences too for not reading the box because it was the default Blockbuster cover, and getting the wrong game/movie upon arriving home. It's safe to say kids now don't get that experience. Be careful how you use the word "only" and please, clean up after yourself before you vomit another emotionally charged nostalgia rant.
>>
>>3261027
Yeah, Sticky Bear and ALF really broke the mold.
>>
>>3258467
I want to press my face against Mai-chan's feet
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.