[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This isn't very good.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: 236px-HexenIIbox.jpg (18 KB, 236x280) Image search: [Google]
236px-HexenIIbox.jpg
18 KB, 236x280
This isn't very good.
>>
Your opinion is wrong and you're a faggot.
>>
>>3257751
Stupid and wrong contrarian opinions belong on /v/.
>>
I think it's a rather good game that made some clunky choices in level design and flow that prevented it from being a great game.

Wish Raven did a 3 in the early 2000s. Considering how modern gaming is I don't want the Hexen series revisited at this point.
>>
I didn't think so either. When it came out, though, I was in GRAFIX mode, and it looked really dated compared to Quake 2 but also didn't have the detailed sprite look of Hexen 1.

I may give this game another try in the future, but I didn't like it either.
>>
Hexen is an acquired taste, really. While most games tended to have smaller scale puzzles, usually limited to a room, Hexen instead went for larger scale puzzles, often making the entire hub level involved in the process of solving them.
>>
I like the way you can move much faster by moving diagonally. It makes you feel like you're ice skating around.
>>
>>3257773
It's not contrarian to say that it's not very good. He didn't say it's shit and I don't think many consider Hexen 2 a must-play.

Anyway, Turok is the better adventure-y classic 3D FPS, even though it runs on a crappy engine.
>>
I played as Crusader, got to the King's Court then quit. The game has bland visuals, the levels have mundane architecture that just further emphasizes the bland visuals, the measly two weapons I was limited to for such a long period of time felt terrible to use, and the enemies were fucking annoying.
>>
Spiders from the latter levels scared me, they were huge and leaped from 5 miles away at you, screw this.
>>
>>3257751
Compared to the first one, no.
>>
>>3258180
Haha who the hell screwed up the programming enough to not make your diagonal movement's speed equal to normal speed.
>>
>>3259252
Diagonal movement speeds was a common movement bug in games for countless years.

Perfect Dark, four years later and on an entirely different engine, still did that.
>>
>>3259261
It's seriously funny as hell cause I catch those mistakes during implementation of my own games and they're usually fixed day one. You can tell they did a lot of rush programming.
>>
>>3257751
No, it's not.

Heretic is a 9.5/10. Only thing keeping it from a 10 is some of the level design and the goofiness of some of the weapons.
Hexen is a solid 8. Very interesting game that falls short due to level design, dearth of weapons and that fucking centaur.
Hexen 2 is frankly a disappointment.
>>
>>3259553
heretic had better level design than doom though because john romero helped out a lot with it.
>>
First hub was okay, Aztec hub was eh, Egypt Hub was a nightmare, and I never got through the Roman hub
Expansion was pretty good
>>
>>3259553

Hexens 1st level is so fucking good though. Too bad the rest of the game slopes into mediocraty. The swamps were so shit that I didn't bother with the rest of the game.
>>
>>3259804
I'm a huge fan of Romero's levels in Doom and Quake but I just didn't see his style in Heretic. Heretic's levels have a lot of mundane quadrangular rooms and symmetry. It also has that city map / Mt. Erebus type of design with scattered buildings in open areas.
>>
Hexen 2 seems like a game that would be more fun to coop cause you could get the puzzles done faster
>>
>>3259840
Yeah. The first ep level design is flawless though.
>>
>>3259252
Strafe running was intentional. Quake fixed it, Hexen 2, based on Quake, reimplemented it because it's a nice simple trick that everybody likes.
>>
>>3257751
It was pretty fucking good in 1996
>>
>>3259804
Pretty sure Romero had nothing to do with the level design in Heretic.
>>
>>3260249
he was executive producer which means he probably oversaw the entire game.
>>
>>3262390
Executive producers are more guys who sit at the office and say "yep that's fine, keep doing what you're doing" every now and then, while supplying funding. Producers rarely have as much creative control as the actual level designers / content creators
>>
Well I'm determined to finish this, and I'm at the second boss fight of the egyptian hub. I have to say the level design and puzzles are some of the most well thought out, even by todays standards of any game I've played. Perhaps not the best executed, but some of the most in-depth, on par with Realms of the Haunting or perhaps Myst.

I have to refer to a walkthrough If I'm hopelessly lost of have no idea what to do, which isn't too often... Hoping to complete it eventually.

For 1996 its pretty cool to be able to shoot limbs off enemies and have them struggle about on the floor, and certainly the most advanced use of the quake engine when it was released. The leveling up system and quest items are handled very well, and dont interfere with the gameplay at all. The classes are nicely different too.

I'm playing as assassin and at level 8 a lot of enemies dont even see me until I fire
>>
>>3259834
Ill say my all time favorite hub was Caste of Grief, if only because each levels fits into the hub, the outer castle guarding the tower, tower itself, dungeons in the tower, sewers, and an outpost, feels like you are actually trying to traverse this mysterious tower to get to the next hub
Heresiarch's Seminary came somewhat close
>>
>>3262490
probably, but we also have to consider how much Romero wanted to do a fantasy game, seeing as Quake he kept pushing the castles and fantasy angle for an RPG type game
>>
>>3259834
you have pleased korax with your failure, mortal
>>
>>3258890
yeah fuck that. i almost beat the game but got sick of spider spam in the roman world.
>>
>>3257751
I never played the Hexen and Heretic sequels.

Are they any good? I never ventured past the originals because I'm a Doom engine enthusiast and would rather just keep playing more mods.

I've yet to hear from anyone who's played them so I'm curious if they're worth a shot.
>>
>>3263585
Hexen 2 is worth a look if you like Quake 1 physics at all. The Assassin who has Doom's movement speed straferunning with Quake's air acceleration as well has got to be the fastest video game character of all time. The architecture is a lot better than Hexen, obviously, and it's a bit less switch-hunty, but well it's still a Raven game so you'll be pressing switches and wondering what they did a lot.

Only ever played the Heretic 2 demo back in the day, it's so drastically different I don't know what to say.
>>
>>3265498
Thanks, I might give them a look someday.
>>
>>3263585
>>3266753
There is a demo of the first area blackmarsh that came with Matrox graphics cards in the late 90s. I had one and it was a blast. Definitely check out the demo if you don't want to pay for hexen 2.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.