[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When you played Metroid for the first time, were you doing any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: NES_Metroid.png (10 KB, 298x240) Image search: [Google]
NES_Metroid.png
10 KB, 298x240
When you played Metroid for the first time, were you doing any mapping on paper, or taking notes? I have yet to play through this game, and refuse to look at the maps or guides available online.
I didn't get to play it when it was current and I'm kind of wondering how kids back then played it
>>
Yes I made maps as I went, but only after playing the game for a while.
>>
Yeah, I made maps too. Just keep in mind that some areas of the game, like Kraid's hideout, use a looping series of screens.

At least I think so; does that sound right to you guys?
>>
>>3254428
>I didn't get to play it when it was current and I'm kind of wondering how kids back then played it

Fun Club News/Nintendo Power and the Official Nintendo Players Guide had maps. on top of those, we'd make our own and discuss game strategies with other kids.
>>
>>3254451
>Just keep in mind that some areas of the game, like Kraid's hideout, use a looping series of screens.

not true
>>
>>3254514
was there a split back then as well, between guide users and people insisting on beating a game on their own?
>>
>>3254514
This. I used the Nintendo Player's Guide.

>>3254517
Basically if kids had access to it they used it. Making your own maps wasnt a pridefag thing it was a poorfag thing. Information was more valuable in the pre-internet days.
>>
>>3254428
I didn't draw a map the first time I played it, and gave up on it after a few hours. The second time I dedicated a whole day to it and was able to beat it. I didn't draw a map that time either, but I remembered a good amount from the first attempt so it wasn't too bad. This may sound obvious, but if you keep in mind that each door switches you between vertical/horizontal scrolling, and that you only need to try bombing the floor and shooting the ceiling in the vertical areas, the game becomes very manageable.
>>
>>3254451
Yeah sometimes there are area corridors that look nearly identical to others.
>>
I never needed to map things out for side-scrollers. Something about the presentation made it easy enough for me to remember the layout without any help.

First-person dungeon crawlers, on the other hand, always confused me to no end unless I mapped out every step in the beginning. I usually found that as I progressed deeper into these games that I needed to use those maps for reference less and less though.
>>
>>3254428
I didn't the first time, I was young and raised on N64/Gamecube games and expected the game to map itself for me, or for it to not be complex enough to need a map. Boy was I in for a surprise.

I've since played all of Zero Mission and know the general layout, but I map it still just to be sure. I have some old maps myself sitting in a binder along with maps for other games.
>>
>>3255165
>I have some old maps myself sitting in a binder
post them. spoiler if necessary, but do post them. I love that shit
>>
just a mental map
>>
>>3254428
Nope. It's not that complicated and exploring is the best way to find all the items without using a map.
>>
Huge fan of the series. I've beaten the game, but I did so with passwords that weren't my own or the N.A.R. password. I've lately felt like I need to beat it on my own merits to truly appreciate and complete the series. What do you think?
>>
>>3254428
My first time playing Metroid was on Zero Mission after beating it
I mostly just remembered landmarks
>>
>>3257913
do it. It's a good game, and good games can handle more than a single play-through
>>
>>3255171
They're nothing special anon, I don't put any art or anything, just boxes and icons for points of interest/dialogue for those points of interest.
>>
>>3258005
they're a part of /vr/ gaming you rarely see on here, and even if they are very pragmatic, they still have the style of the author. Particular ways of marking sections, ways to scribble the boxes, etc. We have plenty of threads with screenshots, sometimes threads with manuals, or photos, hardly ever threads with the stuff players create, or used to create, while playing. And hey, let's face it, even though you say they're "nothing special", you kept them, for years, if not decades. Special enough to post them, I think.
>>
>>3254428
All memorization. Anything else is cheating yourself. Still have those memories.
>>
>>3258115
how can you tell if a game/developer expects you to take notes or not? Or do you play every game without notes?
>>
>>3254428
Just getting lost a lot until figuring design a bit before trying to refill health and simply giving up with how time consuming it is.
>>
GRAPH PAPER
R
A
P
H

P
A
P
E
R
>>
>>3258226
>Just getting lost a lot until figuring design a bit before
wat
>>
File: ep3_01.jpg (195 KB, 488x714) Image search: [Google]
ep3_01.jpg
195 KB, 488x714
>>3258125
>>3258115

Taking notes or making your own maps back then wasn't "cheating" at all.
They even had a "Notes" section in the back of every manual.
>>
>>3254428
only notes I took were the save codes.
>>
File: 1186screenshot1.png (3 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
1186screenshot1.png
3 KB, 256x224
This hack is the tits. Adds a map and save capability. You can even see the equipment you've collected on a particular save file.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1186/
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.