[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /vr/. What are some NES and SNES that contain tons of hiragana?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: rip in fucking poli.jpg (139 KB, 726x424) Image search: [Google]
rip in fucking poli.jpg
139 KB, 726x424
Hey /vr/. What are some NES and SNES that contain tons of hiragana? I need something to practice with. Thanks in advance.
>>
why not learn a useful language like chinese or russian?
>>
Most RPGs.

Try the Mother games, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy.
>>
File: 86b70f28f6ad.jpg (79 KB, 410x410) Image search: [Google]
86b70f28f6ad.jpg
79 KB, 410x410
>>3254261
>or russian
You can even play first two Sakura Wars games ;^)
>>
>>3254263

I guess I'll look into Mother on the NES, since I dropped it half-way through almost 10 years ago.

On the topic of DQ, how much kanji are in those?
>>
>>3254273

The Famicom DQ are all in hiragana. SFC ones include kanji. Not sure about GB.
>>
You'll hardly find an NES game which is centered around text that uses Kanji if any.
Games like Shadowgate and Deja Vu are hiragana only.
On the SNES, as it was said, DQ games are aimed at younger people so it has fewer Kanji compared to other RPGs.
Pokémon games on the GB are good also.
>>
maybe captain tsubasa?
>>
Almost every NES japanese game uses hiragana and katakana exclusively, because they didn't have enough memory for kanji. Very few games (like Megami Tensei) use kanji. Also some developers didn't have any idea on how to swap alphabets correctly, so you can have things like "Start" and "Options" written in hiragana.
>>
Practice being able to read in general or to read sentences that forego kanji in favor of kana, when most natives will still get the meaning?
>>
>>3256698

I'm looking to test what I know thus far, and to see if I can beat an unfamiliar game that you can't just bruteforce.

Kanji, at this point, is quite daunting to me. Over the years, I've memorized the meaning of only a handful of symbols. I do intend on learning more, but not before I make sure I've understood everything I've learned thus far.
>>
>>3254258
OP, get a wonderswan and anything released by square. has good ports of front mission, several final fantasies, etc. they're all pretty readable.
>>
>>3257350
>not before I make sure I've understood everything I've learned thus far.
You can't just expect the language to all come perfectly together at the start, which is where you are.

Kana are easy, you learn them in a day and then you're done forever. What's hard is the grammar and vocab, and reading shit written only in kana is only going to make that harder.

What you're asking is like saying "hey guys, I just learned the Roman alphabet. Can anyone recommend me any games where the sentences look something like this: andthenaleafcameoutoftenmouths, I'm far too scared of spaces to deal with them right now."

You aren't ready to read anything if you think kana-only games would help. Read some simple kid's manga with furigana, like Yotsuba.
>>
Final Fantasy IV.

Also, non retro but Pokemon vs Nobunaga (dont remember the name of the game) for DS has Furigana (also dont remember if thats how its called, the hiragana above the kanji)
>>
>>3257463
Dragon Quest and Zelda games also have furigana on newer systems.

And the name of that Nobunaga game is Pokemon Conquest.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.