[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would be the best ways to play the original Phantasy Star series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10
File: Phantasy_Star_II.jpg (29 KB, 250x347) Image search: [Google]
Phantasy_Star_II.jpg
29 KB, 250x347
What would be the best ways to play the original Phantasy Star series?
>>
Phantasy Star Collection for Playstation 2
>>
File: ps2-nei.png (1010 KB, 850x1133) Image search: [Google]
ps2-nei.png
1010 KB, 850x1133
>>3252582
Retranslation + FM sound for PS.
Megadrive for the other games.

>>3252586
Lolno.
>>
>>3252594
>Lolno
What's your problem with it? It's all the games in one package with extra options.
>>
I'm playing through the retranslation of Phantasy Star right now. It's my first time with the game and it's fun so far. Very tough at the beginning. I found some stone guy in a cave south of town; it can feel a little vague on where to go next.
>>
>>3252582
Bro, just play the originals as it was originally released.
>>
>>3252613
The SMS first game has a lousy translation though. Isn't there a balance romhack for #2 because it's so balls hard?
>>
>>3252613
PS1 was originally Katakana only. It didn't even have Hiragana.
Do you realize how painful that it too read?
>>
>>3252627
Does have spacing though, that's a relief. And children (and myself) could get into it.
>>
SMSPower translation of PS1 on Master System.
Default MD/G releases of 2-4.
Fan translations for the spinoffs.
>>
>>3252596
The mechanics and music are completely trashed. Which youtube e-celeb told you that it was good?
>>
>>3252808
>Which youtube e-celeb told you that it was good?
/vr/
>>
>>3252808
Don't forget the awful new graphics and art style.
>>
>>3252816
>another underage in/v/ader
Fix'd.
>>
>>3252627
Long time ago when I could only read katakana, with no grammar or vocabulary knowledge, I really wished all games were in kana
But now yes, it looks really painful to read.
>>
>rpgs.......
At least tell me theres some good waifus. I purged most of my collection of ps1 rpgs but im kinda interested in getting this. I might just emulate but its
>not the same
>>
>>3252883
Are you confusing Phantasy Star Generation 1 and 2 (Sega Ages Vol 1 and 17) and Phantasy Star Complete Collection (Sega Ages Vol 32)?
>>
>>3252902
Why would you play Complete Collection if you don't know Nip?
>>
>>3252907
It has the option to switch between English and Japanese. And who doesn't know Japanese anyway?
>>
File: shir.jpg (10 KB, 190x192) Image search: [Google]
shir.jpg
10 KB, 190x192
>>3252901
2, 3 and 4 have a lot of waifus.
>>
File: youknowwhereitgoes.png (407 KB, 570x489) Image search: [Google]
youknowwhereitgoes.png
407 KB, 570x489
http://segaretro.org/Sega_Ages_2500_Series_Vol._32:_Phantasy_Star_Complete_Collection#Console_roms_found_in_the_disk

>no translations for the PSII side-stories
>probably uses the PSG music for PSI

INTO ZA TRASHU
>>
>>3252938
You can turn FM sound on and off. There's also an option to get Hiragana text.
But I guess simply trying that stuff out is too much for your to ask.
>>
>>3252582
Phantasy star 1 has patches so you can play it with a proper translation and with the good quality music the jap version had.

Just play the genesis version of the other games.

There are some remakes for PS and PSII, but people say bad things about them. Then again, the original games are quite shallow in terms of gameplay and story so there's not much reason to play any version. PSIII is completely unfinished and not worth playing at all. PSIV is easily one of the best 16-bit JRPGs, but even then it's lacking in some aspects.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the Phantasy Star series.
>>
>>3253013
>PSIII is completely unfinished and not worth playing at all.

Why do you say this anon?
I'm legitimately asking since I know nothing of this series
>>
>>3253101
They got their budget cut in half halfway through development, I think.
>>
>>3252626 >>3252582
Just restarted re-playing the first one on my SMS the other day, the bad translation is barely noticeable at least to me, until you get into some of the items. Still recommend checking it out with an emu or original hardware, damn fun game anon.
>>
sega smash pack
>>
>>3252582
If you're really uncertain about this you might want to play it safe and just play IV, it's the easiest one to get into.
>>
>>3252582
On your PC via an emulator. Unless you have a Genesis, in which case, on your Genesis.
>>
>>3252582
I'm in the middle of 2 and am playing on Sonic's Ulitmate Genesis Collection on the PS3, it's fun and seems like its just an emulated genesis game.
>>
>>3253901
It has all four games if you are wondering, you just have to unlock Phantasy star for the master system in the extras section.
>>
Complete Collection on PS2 if you don't mind it has the shit English versions. At least with 1 and 2 you can increase things like the walking speed and money/experience making the grind less of a chore. PSII still has those shit dungeons though.

>>3253204
No.
>>
with your hands
>>
>>3252586
The Complete Collection is an okay choice for 2-4, but there's no reason to play any official English release of 1, now has there been for years, when the SMSPower version exists.

http://www.smspower.org/Translations/PhantasyStar-SMS-EN
Remember to use FM sound. Emulate over using real hardware if need be, you shouldn't miss out.
>>
How does one even play PSII? I tried it a few times at different ages, and holy fuck there's encounters out the ass with niggas who three-shot you. Is there some trick to it?
>>
>>3254317

grind
>>
>>3254215
>FM sound
This is seriously overrated. I prefer the bleeps and bloops over the instrumentation that sounds like children's versions of real instruments.
>>
>>3254318
Does nothing.
>>3254317
Run from Blasters. That's it.
>>
>>3254317
In each of the Dams, you will find pieces of armor with a unique name. Each one of these will cast a tech for free. Like I think the Wind Scarf casts Zan or Gi-Zan, and another will cast Deban. Others still will cast Res or Gi-Res, and you will find 4 of these if you try. One for each character.

Using these items will definitely prolong battles, due to the rather slow input system combined with the need to change things ups frequently based on which monster combination you're facing.

But it turns the toughest battles into a simple game of attrition in which you heal and cast for free each turn while you whittle away the enemies hit points. It even makes hunting the Nei gear bearable. Without these items, Dezolis especially, will force you to spend your cash filling each players inventory with healing items and don't forget Amy, either. Even then, you will likely run out of mates and TP quickly though.

tl;dr: use the freebies found in the Dams instead of selling them.
>>
>>3252582
With a Master System.
>>
>>3254317
Patience.

As the other guy says, there's secrets that make it much easier, but I've beaten it blind without know that stuff.

Map the dungeon as you go, and warp out when you need to heal and save. When you return, you'll have your map and have made progress. None of this time is wasted, as you are accumulating XP and money as you go. The slow approach gets you exactly the amount of XP you need to progress through the game without walking in circles outside a town (you DO have to do that at the beginning for 10 minutes, though).
>>
>>3255073
This. Don't fret over whether or not you'll clear the dungeon before needing to heal. Just think of the focus as "making progress".
>grinding for the first 10 minutes
And this.
>>
Say what you want about PSIII, but I thought the big twist in it was pretty clever, the one where you find out how it's related to the rest of the series.
>>
>>3252582
Originals
>>
WITH YOUR DICK
>>
>>3257549
No. With your dick.
>>
>>3257552
WITH MY DICK
>>
>>3257556
With OUR dicks.
>>
>>3253927
What's really fucking dumb though is that you need to unlock Phantasy Star by beating Emerald Hill in Sonic 2 with two controllers connected. I don't have two PS3 controllers.
>>
Dragon Quest in space.
>>
>>3258709
Insulting. Phantasy Star IV mechanics shit all over any Dragon Quest battle engine.
>>
File: phantasystar.jpg (306 KB, 512x728) Image search: [Google]
phantasystar.jpg
306 KB, 512x728
Best JRPG series.

FFags can eat a dick.
>>
>>3258709
Only it's actually playable without having to be remade.
>>
>>3258732
OP here, I can confirm I've been enjoying the first one greatly after I noticed that everyone and their mother insisted on the retranslation.
>>
>>3252582
sega genesis collection for psp on PSvita
>>
>>3259080
No
Just emulate it.
>>
>>3259110
you can emulate on vita if you are really a poorfag, (it's 10$) that screen on the first model is godtier for psp games and the machine itself is far more comfy than playing on a pc/laptop.

the only real deterrent it the memcard space. Otherwise Vita is a godtier ps1/psp machine.
>>
tried Phantasy Star II via sega classic collection on PSP
i mean, I really tried it. I wanted to love it, and I love the overall stuff, but when it comes to the dungeons... dude
first one was a pain in the ass. second one was exactly the same. at least the towns had some difference.
>>
>>3259167
IV is probably the most accessible and holds up the best. Honestly II is more a product of it's time and interesting for being a solid early 16bit console and genesis RPG

I actually really like the monsters and animation in 1
>>
>>3258713
This so much even the newest DQ is behind PSIV in terms of combat mechanics.
>>
>>3259178
2 honestly feels like a step down from 1 to me. The removal of the first person dungeons (in fairness, not for everyone) and the battle backgrounds, combined with the ridiculousness of the dungeons makes the game actually feel older and less advanced than PS1 to me.

PS2 seems to be the second most popular one online after 4, but I feel like that's pretty much just because the 1st one came out on the Master System so nobody in America or Japan actually played it when it came out.
>>
>>3260425
Removal of 1st person dungeons is key for me; I can't stand them.
>>
>>3260615
I'm not the biggest fan of 1st person dungeons, way too mazelike, but at least they felt advanced for the time. PSII's felt less advanced but didn't even fix the fact that they were waaaay too mazelike. They're just insane.
>>
>>3260425
Why did they cut the backgrounds? Having backgrounds in PS1 was an achievement over DQ2 or FF1 yet they ditched them when they switched to a stronger platform.
>>
>>3260849
Probably will never know.

For the record, I like the tron backgrounds and like the mazes. If the game weren't memorable for its mazes and interesting design, I wouldn't think twice about it.
>>
>>3260849
>>3260856
The backgrounds being cut were a compensation to have:
1) more than one enemy on-screen at once (only one type of enemy per encounter in PS1)
2) have enemies be persistently animated instead of just during attack phases

The memory limitations, or at least the lack of optimization knowledge at that time meant that something had to go.

This was a problem they had fixed completely by PSIV.
>>
File: ps2screen15.gif (19 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
ps2screen15.gif
19 KB, 320x224
>>3260425
glad to see im not the only one who can´t stand the dungeons. Being all the same makes the game look older than it probably is. I fell like a "kid who dont get retro" for the first two hours until I realize most of the dungeons will look like pic related. (isn´t it?)
I mean, this game came the same year of Batman and Ducktales. shit.
>>
>>3261791
well it's one of the first genesis games AND it was rushed out
>>
>>3261975
Do tell me more about this, I like hearing about background info on game development.
>>
>>3263279
http://shmuplations.com/phantasystarii/
>Phantasy Star II was originally planned for the Sega Master System, as a direct sequel to Phantasy Star. Later it was decided it would be released on the Megadrive, so we had to rework all our plans. Despite that huge change, we only had a half year to finish the game, a real oppressive schedule. And of course we had to complete the debugging in that timeframe, so when you consider the normal schedule for an RPG, Phantasy Star II was created in an incredibly short period. The only reason we made it was because of Yuji Naka.
>>
>>3258713
it looked so good.
>>
>>3264131
Thanks for this anon.
>>
>>3260805
I loved 4 and 1, but loath 2 and 3. Give me a first person dungeon anyday over that garbage in 3 where the hallways are so wide you can't always see from one end to the other (the short way) and where random battles are so frequent that even getting to the stairs to the second floor in earlier dungeons may take 10-20 fights, one way.

Very poor dungeon design on 2 and 3.
>>
>>3253947
yep
>>
>>3252808

Wow, so edgy.
>>
How long would you say the first Phantasy Star is? Is it a difficult game?
>>
>>3266928
>Is it a difficult game?
Yes.
>>
>>3266928
Not until you hit Medusa's Tower. That and Baya Malay can be maddening, depending on how your battles play out.
>>
>>3267206
I assume there's no way to target individual enemies in the game. That's certainly frustrating in and of itself.
>>
>>3267317
In the original you just hit random enemies at any given time unless you're using a gun which hits everything.
>>
File: phantasy star desert.jpg (191 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
phantasy star desert.jpg
191 KB, 1600x900
Hell Mode Mod Double EXP and Meseta
Hack of Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/363/

This is a comprehensive hack of Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium for the Sega Genesis. The general idea behind this mod is to have every battle be a fight for your life! Every monster has been edited to greatly raise the game’s difficulty, making each battle much longer, especially late-game. And yes, despite the difficulty increase, all monsters give the same amount of experience, so, welcome to hell!

Features:
>All characters have an average of 3 new Techniques and 3 new Skills.
>The four “NOTHING” items have been added and can be bought at various shops across Algo.
>Many new combination attack possibilities.
>Items with a special battle effect have had their power greatly increased.
>Easter Eggs in regard to two of the characters unavailable at the end of the game.
>New descriptions for equipment that did not have them.
>>
>>3258726
Who takes a hamburger into the shower? Who are these candid androids?
>>
File: pscake.jpg (29 KB, 338x361) Image search: [Google]
pscake.jpg
29 KB, 338x361
>>3266928
>Is it a difficult game?
Not combat wise, no. Like so many 80's RPGs once you're strong enough to take two steps away from the first town you go to mowing down armies in no time. Getting lost in the dungeons with dwindling resources and discovering what to do are where the challenge lies. It's fun.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.